WDW or DCL Solo - which would you choose?

lovedisneycruise

Mouseketeer
I recently went on a wish list trip to the Yacht club for the first time with my then-BF. I absolutely loved the resort, but the trip did not go well and we broke up right afterwards. As a result, I canceled a November cruise we had planned together. :guilty:

My birthday is in December and I am now wanting to plan a solo trip. I have done a couple very short trips to WDW solo - I do OK with those but I'm uncomfortable at some points – I have NEVER taken a cruise solo.

So here's my dilemma – I can stay five nights at Yacht Club +2 nights at a value for the same cost as a weeklong cruise on the fantasy. I really want to go back to Yacht club to experience it fully without the relationship stress-- plus I love Christmas decorations at WDW-- BUT I also love cruising (and haven't in a year whereas I've been to WDW several times this year ). It would also be a Merrytime cruise.

For anyone who's done both solo, which is more comfortable to experience alone? For example I've heard world showcase tends to be romantic in the evenings and to stay away if that bothers you as a solo. I like the idea that I don't have to book the ADRs etc. and that food is readily available on the ships. I also LOVE watching the sunset from the decks in the evening, although seeing all the cozy couples may bother me this trip – but maybe not.

To further complicate choices, I could also do the five nights at Yacht club +4 night cruise on the Dream although it would cost more total $$ than the other two options. o_O

Which would you choose?? I would be celebrating a milestone birthday and moving past the bad relationship. TIA!!

I have done both, and am happy to share my experiences. My situation differs in that I am happily married - we just don't always travel together. So I have never had any negative emotions when around other couples and can't really share any about that.

Quick question about your comparative costs - are you including excursions for the cruises? And food for land? Alcohol costs are roughly comparable, so that cancels out.

I have loved both WDW and DCL solo. They were quite different experiences!

On DCL, it seemed more noticeable that I was solo. I'm the type that doesn't really care what people think, so it didn't bother me. But especially in the main dining rooms, it is obvious that you are solo. I ate a couple nights at the MDRs, but just didn't feel like making small talk a couple times, so ate elsewhere those nights. I have eaten several times solo at Palo, and I highly recommend it! The servers are very attentive, and I love the peaceful, quiet feel of the all-adult atmosphere; I spend considerable time either (discreetly) watching other people or simply wandering around in my own head.

Alone time at the pool was fine - not unusual to find singles there (single parents, half of a couple whose other half is doing something else, true "solos"). And spa time was excellent, as always! I would LOVE to be able to spend as much time as I wanted in the rainforest room on the Fantasy, without DH feeling like I was ignoring him!!!

In thinking about it, people socialize more on cruises. So more folks will know you are traveling solo. At WDW, people just don't interact with strangers as much as on a cruise. So it's much easier to be incognito. More often than not, people just assume you are not with the rest of your travel party "right now." Or (more probable), they simply don't care. Honestly, not once in several solo trips has anyone but CMs (mostly restaurant waitstaff) known that I was solo.

For me, I would choose based on the type of vacation I want (assuming I can afford whatever I want). If I want a relaxing, laid-back time where it is very easy to be doing nothing for as long as I want in an AWESOME atmosphere - that's a cruise. If I want more action, rides, shows, and just to be out and about more - that's WDW. I'm perfectly comfortable being solo in either case.

I hope I haven't gone on too long! I've never really thought about the differences, so I'm kinda all over the place!

Gzmtlock I really appreciate your response. I kind of want a little of both – to be relaxed and quiet, but to be out and about too!

I've been struggling with this for about a month and hoped I might get some solo perspectives that I hadn't considered.

Thank you again!

I kind of want a little of both – to be relaxed and quiet, but to be out and about too!

Then go for the 5 nights@YC/4 nights on Dream! That way, you get Christmas both land and sea (both are totally awesome!)

Can I come? Oh, wait, then you wouldn't be solo. (JK, of course!)

I too have done multiple solo WDW & DLR trips and 7 solo Disney cruises (another next month). Personally I prefer the cruises because I enjoy all the ship activities, ports, shows, cast members, etc. I also feel that they are more opportunities to get pictures with characters on the ships.

I think its LESS noticeable that youre alone while on DCL than at WDW. I went on a DCL on the fantasy last august...wasnt solo...but I hardly saw my son on the ship (ha ha) so it seems as though I was on a solo trip! While on the ship I watched a movie alone, saw the broadway style shows alone, went to the adult only section to nap, watched a movie at the main pool. I also ate dinner alone most nights! Its honestly not a big deal. Its the most relaxing trip ever! The bonus is that you get to explore these great islands! you get the best of both worlds. I did see many other adults alone while on the ship if that helps.

I'd pick DCL since you've done wdw many times. Cruising is so awesome! I love the fantasy! We have another cruise booked Aug.2016 (4 nights only this time).

PS: There are forums on disboards to meet with other solo travellers while on the ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter