WDW -Disability Access Service (DAS) - ARCHIVED THREAD; no longer vslid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you realize that KPeveler uses manual wheelchair in her everyday life? She is saying that she cannot push herself around in circles all day, and I quite agree with her that it is asking way too much from people who are already at a disadvantage physically/cognitively.

Then perhaps an ECV would be more useful? Also, there's no need to leave the area if one is waiting for a return time. So no need to backtrack at all.

Yes but those were quite a wait too and yes we had FP+ on one ride a day. Other passes were available but too wild for her. For some reason mobs were unreal when we were there. We have gone every October for last 14 years and never have we seen it so mobbed. Most of the lowkey ride fastpasses were gone by the time we got there.

We ended up in heat more then usual because we really had no place to go except shops. There was no seats in quick food places as you had to buy food to sit in there. We wouldn't take seats from someone anyway.

Having so little rides using the DAS was really not worth it. My mom is happy going on Haunted Mansion, Winnie the Pooh, Small World, and Ariel ride. We don't do the really popular rides but wow, the fastpass lines were longer then stand by. Was a crazy week. IASM ecv line we waited in an hour. At least it was out of the heat and sun but by then she was just beat and getting cranky. LOL She doesn't handle her 80s well.

She is on meds that she needs to really keep out of the sun most of time and can't take heat much. We try to get in the park and out no longer then 4 hours. With this trip we were lucky to ride anything 3 times each day. We spent over 10k on this trip and can say this is truly the first trip that wasn't worth even going to WDW.

DAS is not for us so Disney will be out of my future for quite a while.

You had 3 FP+, and FP, and a DAS - what exactly limited you to only 3 rides each day, or do you mean riding the same ride 3 times? You listed 4 rides for MK, and you have 5 passes to ride with, so I'm just not getting the issue?

Yes but those were quite a wait too and yes we had FP+ on one ride a day. Other passes were available but too wild for her. For some reason mobs were unreal when we were there. We have gone every October for last 14 years and never have we seen it so mobbed. Most of the lowkey ride fastpasses were gone by the time we got there.

We ended up in heat more then usual because we really had no place to go except shops. There was no seats in quick food places as you had to buy food to sit in there. We wouldn't take seats from someone anyway.

Having so little rides using the DAS was really not worth it. My mom is happy going on Haunted Mansion, Winnie the Pooh, Small World, and Ariel ride. We don't do the really popular rides but wow, the fastpass lines were longer then stand by. Was a crazy week. IASM ecv line we waited in an hour. At least it was out of the heat and sun but by then she was just beat and getting cranky. LOL She doesn't handle her 80s well.

She is on meds that she needs to really keep out of the sun most of time and can't take heat much. We try to get in the park and out no longer then 4 hours. With this trip we were lucky to ride anything 3 times each day. We spent over 10k on this trip and can say this is truly the first trip that wasn't worth even going to WDW.

DAS is not for us so Disney will be out of my future for quite a while.

I am sorry that you had a rough time. I have a few reccommendations for getting out of the sun at MK.

Shows
Tiki Room
Philharmagic
Country Bears
Carousel of Progress

Rides
People Mover
POTC
IASW

Areas out of the sun

Down by the river boat, there are benches that are under cover

In Adventureland on the side opposite Treehouse and JC there are some vestibules between the shops, also Tortuga Taven across from POTC is usually closed and there is covered seating

In Frontierland under the train station next to Splash Mountain (Next to the FP machines)

In Fantasyland, there is a covered area next to the Storybook Circus Train station where they give FP for Goofy and Dumbo.

Tomorrowland - The Tomorrowland Terrace is rarely open. The upper level next to the bathroom is usually empty.

As for sitting in Counter service locations, I don't feel as bad if I buy a soda or a snack. That makes me a paying customer.

If you are using stroller as wheelchair, you'll be sent to an additional waiting area at tsm, Buzz, Jc, the new ariel voyage of the little mermaid, and a few other attractions. There may be additional wait time and the DAS does note that waits may be longer in the terms of agreement.

OK. Thanks. At those places I could just park the stroller like everyone else, and then we wouldn't be backing up the accessible queue for those that really need it, correct?

Going the night of arrival (but not going into the parks) to get a DAS didn't ever occur to me. Thank you so much for posting this! I was going o buy a park ticket for our night of arrival just to do this! I am so glad to know you didn't even have to go into the park to do it.

I am sorry that you had a rough time. I have a few reccommendations for getting out of the sun at MK.

Shows
Tiki Room
Philharmagic
Country Bears
Carousel of Progress

Rides
People Mover
POTC
IASW

Areas out of the sun

Down by the river boat, there are benches that are under cover

In Adventureland on the side opposite Treehouse and JC there are some vestibules between the shops, also Tortuga Taven across from POTC is usually closed and there is covered seating

In Frontierland under the train station next to Splash Mountain (Next to the FP machines)

In Fantasyland, there is a covered area next to the Storybook Circus Train station where they give FP for Goofy and Dumbo.

Tomorrowland - The Tomorrowland Terrace is rarely open. The upper level next to the bathroom is usually empty.

As for sitting in Counter service locations, I don't feel as bad if I buy a soda or a snack. That makes me a paying customer.

Thanks for all the ideas. As I said the places were mobbed. My mom was really getting frustrated maneuvering through the crowds. We are Disney pros and usually have a system when we get to the parks to get in and out quickly. We make our rounds generally on 4 attractions then get out of there. Having to go from one place, wait, go to another, then back again really got to her. It was nice to do two attractions, break for a bit, then do the other two.
Even Haunted Mansion on a FP was ridiculous. ECVS now go through the main line. We used our DAS on that ride and were put in the FP line was just as big as stand by line. When you finally get near the door, 30 min later the two lines merge. It is VERY difficult to maneuver an ECV in that mob. She was sandwiched between the door and wall before a CM finally came to our rescue. This happened twice. They take us in the stretching room pinned against a wall and then take us out the back door to park the ECV outside then back in the backway to get on a doombuggy. It was so much easier to just park in back to begin with and go from there.
Our 4 hour or less days have turned into 6 or more hopping here to get FP, there to get a single DAS and so on. It really was a giant pita. I totally understand Disney changing the system but it just makes it too difficult with my mom. We will put our money into vacations she can enjoy more for now. Thanks again!

Our 4 hour or less days have turned into 6 or more hopping here to get FP, there to get a single DAS and so on. It really was a giant pita.
Yeah the only solution I can see is to come during a very very slow time and that might be harder to find now than it used to be.

Then perhaps an ECV would be more useful? Also, there's no need to leave the area if one is waiting for a return time. So no need to backtrack at all.

Are you kidding me with this? Not everyone who is in a wheelchair can just up and use an ecv instead. Good grief. And even if they could, that's still battery power they might not have if they have to backtrack.

How can you say there is no backtracking? People get a DAS because they cannot wait in lines, cannot handle heat, etc.. That means they are going to have to go SOMEWHERE other than the ride entrance or kiosk in order to wait. Sometimes there is a place very nearby, but not always. BTMRR? Nothing else is at the top of that big hill.

Yeah the only solution I can see is to come during a very very slow time and that might be harder to find now than it used to be.

Yes I thought we were going during the slow time. It has always been nice and slow last 14 years during the week we went. Not only was the parks mobbed but every MNSSHP was SOLD OUT, including ours. That also was a first for us. And last. LOL Until they reconfigure DAS somehow we won't be back with my mom. No biggie though. After this past trip it kind of made us not want to go back anytime soon.

Are you kidding me with this? Not everyone who is in a wheelchair can just up and use an ecv instead. Good grief. And even if they could, that's still battery power they might not have if they have to backtrack.

How can you say there is no backtracking? People get a DAS because they cannot wait in lines, cannot handle heat, etc.. That means they are going to have to go SOMEWHERE other than the ride entrance or kiosk in order to wait. Sometimes there is a place very nearby, but not always. BTMRR? Nothing else is at the top of that big hill.

Exactly. This trip we did more backtracking then I care to think about. LOL Since it was so crowded its pretty difficult to move with a pack of people to get to perhaps other end of park to get a FP while waiting for the DAS time to come up. Even more frustrating to go over one end to get a FP only to find all FPs are gone. By end of this trip I could have used an ECV. LOL

We would get return times of 90 min or more using the DAS. There really wasn't anyplace in immediate areas to wait it out. I can't imagine standing in a store for 90 min waiting for one ride. Anyway, not here to argue the pros or cons of the new DAS. It's not for us so won't be going back anytime soon. Good luck and happy trips to everyone. :)

And even if they could, that's still battery power they might not have if they have to backtrack.

I'm not sure what kind of ECV you are referring to but I've used off-site rental ECV's at WDW for years and years and have never even come close to running out of battery power, And that includes lots of hopping, acting as the FP runner and general wild behavior. Unless you are using an ECV like my home model (very, very light weight and very old, more than 15 yrs) with only 1 battery, I'd wouldn't worry about battery power.

And even if they could, that's still battery power they might not have if they have to backtrack.

I'm not sure what kind of ECV you are referring to but I've used off-site rental ECV's at WDW for years and years and have never even come close to running out of battery power, And that includes lots of hopping, acting as the FP runner and general wild behavior. Unless you are using an ECV like my home model (very, very light weight and very old, more than 15 yrs) with only 1 battery, I'd wouldn't worry about battery power.
Perhaps you have never had a problem but I have in the past had to find a place to park and charge my power wheelchair. It can be really frustrating. I would be concerned about battery power.

I am also not sure what kind of ECV you are using, but every ECV and power chair that we have used from offsite rental companies to personal chairs barely had the power to make it back to the room at the end of the night.

I noticed that there was an update to Post#1. Maybe it's my vision issues but I can't tell what's been changed. Can someone fill me in?

If you explain at Guest Services, they may be able to offer extra accommodations for the days you are solo. ReAds might be appropriate but they'd have to decide that.

Yes, I take DS (adult in a manual chair) by myself. I have no runner, and I cannot leave him sitting somewhere comfortable and cool, while I run for a new ride assignment. (mental disability). My next trip is DL, which may be easier with the kiosks.

My son will also get upset when we approach a ride, and are unable to ride, but I think I will be able to distract him. He won't cry though, just yell, point, and lean out of his chair. He understands "not yet". And says it over and over, one of his few words/phrases! (right now he says "Halloween", and understands when we answer "not yet")

Perhaps you have never had a problem but I have in the past had to find a place to park and charge my power wheelchair. It can be really frustrating. I would be concerned about battery power.

There are more charging stations now. Rapunzel's bathrooms, someplace near Dumbo? and others. I thought there was a thread here on the DIS listing charging places.

Perhaps it would also be a good thing to get a new battery before a trip if one was bringing the ECV from home.

Also - because I forgot to multiquote - someone mentioned that there is no place to get cool by BTMRR. We've found shady benches down by Tom Sawyer's dock, and the Splash Mountain gift shop is near there too.

Another planning tip would be to plan a FP or FP+ for Splash that would mesh with a BTMRR DAS access time.

There are more charging stations now. Rapunzel's bathrooms, someplace near Dumbo? and others. I thought there was a thread here on the DIS listing charging places.

Perhaps it would also be a good thing to get a new battery before a trip if one was bringing the ECV from home.

Also - because I forgot to multiquote - someone mentioned that there is no place to get cool by BTMRR. We've found shady benches down by Tom Sawyer's dock, and the Splash Mountain gift shop is near there too.

Another planning tip would be to plan a FP or FP+ for Splash that would mesh with a BTMRR DAS access time.
This issue with charging stations is that they still take away from Park time. So, really this is something that is more of a major issue than it might appear at first glance.

And this doesn't count the people who can do the parks, but can't handle the additional traveling, either via a manual chair or walking.

It is just one of last few the things that definitely needs to be corrected with the new system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter