• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW DAS going digital? - YES - started April 30, 2015. See page 6

I was at mk today. Spoke to a cm at an attraction about it. He told me to expect delays at first. I assume he was referring to GS and not his attraction. He said it takes more time to set everything up and the times. He said given a choice, he prefers the paper system.

FWIW At 7DMT this morning all three CMs at the FP area were enthusiastic about the change to digital DAS. They think it will be far easier (they do a lot of writing there I bet!)

FWIW At 7DMT this morning all three CMs at the FP area were enthusiastic about the change to digital DAS. They think it will be far easier (they do a lot of writing there I bet!)

It'll probably be nice for them not to have to manually calculate he times in their heads. I always felt bad that the CM was trying to work out a return time, direct FP people, and watch the Mickey head colors at the same time.

Last edited:
I have a question. Has anyone heard if the new system can "delete" a DAS reservation? My son has changed his mind about rides after getting the DAS card noted especially if we 've moved to another part of the park. We would just have the CM at the new attraction, mark off the current attraction on the card and give us the new one. Did I explain that right? Also, does the DAS reservation show up on your phone like the fp+? Thanks.

I have a question. Has anyone heard if the new system can "delete" a DAS reservation? My son has changed his mind about rides after getting the DAS card noted especially if we 've moved to another part of the park. We would just have the CM at the new attraction, mark off the current attraction on the card and give us the new one. Did I explain that right? Also, does the DAS reservation show up on your phone like the fp+? Thanks.
I don't know for sure, but I believe I read that if you go to a new attraction, you will get a return time for that attraction and it will "delete" the old one. So yes, I believe that will work. I've also read that the return times are viewable on MDE, but not changeable.

We are heading down May 6th. Looking forward to checking out the new system if it's in play by then!

I don't know for sure, but I believe I read that if you go to a new attraction, you will get a return time for that attraction and it will "delete" the old one. So yes, I believe that will work. I've also read that the return times are viewable on MDE, but not changeable.
That is what I have read also.
- DAS Return Time can be deleted by adding a new time at an attraction
- DAS Return Time viewable on MDE (the Disney app), but not able to be changed by the user.

It makes sense to have the DAS times viewable, but not changeable. That way, there would not be a chance of someone deleting it by mistake.

I'm sure we won't know till it goes live (tomorrow right?) but just in case someone knows... We're FL resident passholders and visit the various parks about once a month. 2 of my 4 kids currently have their own DAS (each has different issues/interests). Currently, both of their passes are valid for another month or so. It sounds like we will only be able to use 1 DAS at a time now (we used to use both as each child has different ride preferences, and the younger is to short for many rides), which we will manage. However, we often take day trips w/only 1 of the 2 of them (birthdays, special treat, etc). Any idea how this will work if, say, we take child A on a trip this Saturday (which we are) and have the DAS attached to the bands, and take child B two weeks later? Normally, we would just take the DAS that belongs to that child, but with them going digital I'm confused about how this will now work? Will we need to get new ones each trip? I understand the not wanting people to "double dip" and think the new process sounds promising. I'm just not sure how it will work for frequent visitors w/more than one disabled person in their family. I'll be eagerly following this thread to see what folks have to say in the next few days!

I assume they'll be some method of splitting like there is now.

If child A has a DAS assigned for 2 people, when you go to redeem the return time only 2 people could scan bands from the MDE account and go through.

Same with child B.

As in, it's only assigned to the DAS holder, but allows for a certain number of people. I don't know how it would work if you were going to get return times for both kids on separate rides using your MB.

I'm sure we will know more soon.

Thanks! Just for example, on previous whole-family trips we have gotten a DAS for DD for Space Mountain and gotten a DAS for DS (who is 2 years younger, and too small for SM) for the Speedway. That way DH could take DS (and his little brother) on the Speedway while I took DD (and her older brother) on SM. Sounds like we won't be able to do that anymore. Again, not a trip ruiner, just some planning will need to be changed. My bigger concern is that DD & I will be going 5/1 and will have her DAS linked to her band. What happens if we take DS in 3 weeks for his bday? Will we need to get a new DAS on his band? Sounds like we'll have to stop at GS every trip for new DAS now (passholder DAS' are currently good for 60 days).

Thanks! Just for example, on previous whole-family trips we have gotten a DAS for DD for Space Mountain and gotten a DAS for DS (who is 2 years younger, and too small for SM) for the Speedway. That way DH could take DS (and his little brother) on the Speedway while I took DD (and her older brother) on SM. Sounds like we won't be able to do that anymore. Again, not a trip ruiner, just some planning will need to be changed. My bigger concern is that DD & I will be going 5/1 and will have her DAS linked to her band. What happens if we take DS in 3 weeks for his bday? Will we need to get a new DAS on his band? Sounds like we'll have to stop at GS every trip for new DAS now (passholder DAS' are currently good for 60 days).

I think they'll still be a way to split like that. We just haven't heard details yet on how is all.

I'd think the DAS would still be good for 60 days once you get it set up.

We have two children with special needs with different ride preferences, so each child has had their own DAS in the past, and it worked well. Does this mean we can't have a DAS For each child as we did before?

This was huge for each child in the past, so this system sounds like it will be awful for us -- one loves rides like Small World & Peter Pan while the other loves Mine Train and Splash. Ugh.

We have two children with special needs with different ride preferences, so each child has had their own DAS in the past, and it worked well. Does this mean we can't have a DAS For each child as we did before?

This was huge for each child in the past, so this system sounds like it will be awful for us -- one loves rides like Small World & Peter Pan while the other loves Mine Train and Splash. Ugh.

Specific details haven't been given. Just that it's going digital.

I imagine it will still be an option but there's no way to know for sure until the changes happen and we get some feedback.

Hey Everyone!

Thanks for all the great info all the time!!

Quick question, will it still be possible for anyone in the group to get the DAS return time? My son usually runs ahead while we get my daughter to a ride with a FP+ and he meets us? She has albinism and it helps to keep her out of the sun.

Hey Everyone!

Thanks for all the great info all the time!!

Quick question, will it still be possible for anyone in the group to get the DAS return time? My son usually runs ahead while we get my daughter to a ride with a FP+ and he meets us? She has albinism and it helps to keep her out of the sun.
We won't know for sure until it switches over and we get feedback, but:
- it works that way at Disneyland, so anyone in the group can get a Return Time
- the only official word from Disney says the only change will be to make it electronic.

I THINK it will work in a similar way to Fastpass Plus since that is how it works at DL from reports, even though there is not Fastpass Plus there yet.
At WDW, this is how Fastpass Plus works:
guests can already link their 'friends and family' into a group. You can choose one person who has access to making Fastpass Plus for all members of the group. When a Fastpass Plus time is on that person's ticket, the system knows that and will not allow more Fastpass times to be made unless the guest has met the requirement to make another. Each person can have Fastpasses that are the same as one or more of their group or the whole group can have the same Fastpass Plus.
I obviously don't know, but could see WDW doing that with DAS; that way, you would not need to take all the Magicbands (after all, they are meant to be worn). The person making the DAS would have access to that pass and all the others in the group. So, they could either include or not include other group members in the DAS Reurn Time.

We won't know for sure until it switches over and we get feedback, but:
- it works that way at Disneyland, so anyone in the group can get a Return Time
- the only official word from Disney says the only change will be to make it electronic.

I THINK it will work in a similar way to Fastpass Plus since that is how it works at DL from reports, even though there is not Fastpass Plus there yet.
At WDW, this is how Fastpass Plus works:
guests can already link their 'friends and family' into a group. You can choose one person who has access to making Fastpass Plus for all members of the group. When a Fastpass Plus time is on that person's ticket, the system knows that and will not allow more Fastpass times to be made unless the guest has met the requirement to make another. Each person can have Fastpasses that are the same as one or more of their group or the whole group can have the same Fastpass Plus.
I obviously don't know, but could see WDW doing that with DAS; that way, you would not need to take all the Magicbands (after all, they are meant to be worn). The person making the DAS would have access to that pass and all the others in the group. So, they could either include or not include other group members in the DAS Reurn Time.

was convenient to have the card to show return times. At least its possible to check MDE if one forgets.

we'll be there soon, will take the 'old' card and hope to again be accommodated. Wondering how it will work 'the next' trip though. After it 'rolls' off (60 days?) hope you don't have to go thru the whole extended initial process again. In the past, once in this new system with chronic issues/needs, it was not quite as traumatic to produce the previous card and answer a few questions as the first time.

we go to DL in the fall, still scratching head on their process but confident somebody will post here between now & then.

was convenient to have the card to show return times. At least its possible to check MDE if one forgets.

we'll be there soon, will take the 'old' card and hope to again be accommodated. Wondering how it will work 'the next' trip though. After it 'rolls' off (60 days?) hope you don't have to go thru the whole extended initial process again. In the past, once in this new system with chronic issues/needs, it was not quite as traumatic to produce the previous card and answer a few questions as the first time.

we go to DL in the fall. Had assumed the park tickets work in lieu of MBs but not sure how. at least I have several months to figure that out.
The card just linked to your file.
They read the QR code on the DAS card to access the file.
That was why it was helpful to have the old card - it made finding your file easier.

With it linked to passes, there is a name associated with all the passes and that won't change. We still have people's names associated with out resort files who came with us 5 years ago.
Just the way they access your file will change.
Even now with showing the old DAS, we have been asked if our needs have changed.

For Fastpasses, we take a screenshot of our Fastpass Plus times at the beginning of each day and if anything changes.

Don't know for sure, but the people reporting on the digital DAS have said DAS Return Times will show up in MDE, but will not be able to be changed there.

we go to DL in the fall, still scratching head on their process but confident somebody will post here between now & then.

I can probably answer your DL questions. We've taken DS there 7 times, 4 with the old GAC, twice with the paper DAS and once so far with the DAS added electronically to our park tickets. Please feel free to send me a pm if you have any questions.

We're going to WDW for our first trip there in December, so I might have a few q's for you! :)

Really, they should allow you to get return times form any attraction for any other attraction, any kiosk or the MDE app. This would simplify things and reduce a lot of congestion at many of the more popular attractions.

But I actually think this is a great step forward, as it will make it where those of us who need assistance don't appear to be doing anything different than anyone else does.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter