WDW Commando Club

Hey - looking at your signature - looks like you won the OMDD trip.

Congrats... Care to share the strategy?

Oh, and :welcome: to the Commando Club...

Thank you! Sure, I texted every morning as soon as I woke up. On Jan. 25th I received a call from a 212 are code. I didn't answer because I was home with a sick child. A little while later I received a text saying to call within 2 days in regard to the One More Disney Day sweepstakes. I called immediately and they emailed me an affidavit and Fed Ex return mailing form. I mailed it on Thursday, they confirmed me as a winner on Friday, and I was listed on the website on the following Monday. It is just so unreal. We are very excited. We chose WDW and they are currently planning our trip. Just waiting to hear back on the official dates we get to travel and where we get to stay. There are several Disers that won by email too. So keep trying everyone there are 10 more days left to win!

Ron, let's make our August 21'st rope drop announcement here...

Over to you... ;)

Brian it was your idea so I think you should make the announcement:thumbsup2

Wow, that's a lot of build up... ;)

The Commando Family and The Twokids Family will be meeting up for a joint "Commando Club / DISDad" Meet.

On Tuesday August 21st, we will be doing a Rope Drop (or the current facsimile of Rope Drop) together at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Where we will then head straight over to The Jedi Training Academy, and the kids will all battle (and hopefully defeat) the Evil Sith Lord Vader together.
:yoda::darth:

The Entire Dis Community is counting on these kids to defeat the emperor, and bring balance to the force.

May the Force be with them.

Hi everyone. What a great club! We have always thought of ourselves as park commandos because we love to spend a lot of time in the parks and really enjoy staying in the MK after midnight. We confirmed we were commandos when our touring plan did our family in on a trip we took on 2010. We were only taking a short weekend trip that allowed for only one day in the parks. By 6:00 pm on the first day at Disney my husbands family went back to the hotel for the night due to exhaustion and chaffing. :scared1: We could not comprehend calling it quits on our one and only day to visit the parks! So my hubby and kids and I headed back to the park and stayed until 2:00am. Headed back to the hotel for showers and a 1 hour nap as we had to be at the airport by 5:00 am. :rolleyes1 My in laws still think we are Disney crazy. :laughing: I think they are crazy, they couldnt even hack it for one day! :lmao:

:welcome: You are member #185 :cool1: With one day, I think they were crazy for heading in, you can always sleep on the plane:lmao: Congratulations on your win:woohoo:, when do you get to take your Epic trip:confused3

Wow, that's a lot of build up... ;)

The Commando Family and The Twokids Family will be meeting up for a joint "Commando Club / DISDad" Meet.

On Tuesday August 21st, we will be doing a Rope Drop (or the current facsimile of Rope Drop) together at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Where we will then head straight over to The Jedi Training Academy, and the kids will all battle (and hopefully defeat) the Evil Sith Lord Vader together.
:yoda::darth:

The Entire Dis Community is counting on these kids to defeat the emperor, and bring balance to the force.

May the Force be with them.

That's just for starters, there is going to be some time to kill between sign up and the show:rolleyes1

:welcome: You are member #185 :cool1: With one day, I think they were crazy for heading in, you can always sleep on the plane:lmao: Congratulations on your win:woohoo:, when do you get to take your Epic trip:confused3

Thank you! I agree! There is always time to sleep on the plane! :lmao: We had to select three dates that we would like to travel as well as list the Deluxe resorts we would like to stay at etc and submit those to Disney. Right now I am still waiting on Disney to confirm, so hopefully we will get our first choice which is early June. We would like to be there for Star Wars Weekends! :goodvibes

I would say I am commando as well. This is my 3rd trip to WDW but first as an adult and it will be for my honeymoon, future DH has never been and laughs and calls me OCD for all the spreadsheets, the folder I've started to put together, reading the Unofficial Tour Guides and being on the DIS so much.

My first trip I really didn't have a say about planning as I was only 10 and it was my first time there and as any 10 year old kid was just super excited to be there and it didn't matter as long I got character autographs and rode lots of fun rides.

My second trip I did research, I was 16, and this was an extended family trip, it included my aunt, uncle and 2 cousins (ages 10mo and 7 at that time). I learned all about fast pass as I knew it would be crowded since it was week of July 4. We are AAA members so took advantage of diamond parking and the early entry for Universal and their free express pass at that time. I can't remember exactly but I think I used some sort of crowd calendar type advice to pick which days we would go where and same for which attractions to see first and get FP for first. Surprisingly my family went along with all my plans and they couldn't of been more happy and still talk about that trip as the best WDW/US trip they have been on and that they couldn't believe they saw everything in all the parks without having to wait in line all the much, except for Spiderman as it was new and the wait was ridiculous. I didn't know about ADRs plus now that I do I just don't like the concept of booking a time for my meal or sitting down with more food than I can eat that imo is overly priced, and that's taking time out of my "ride time", it's hot in Orlando in the summer and snacks, small QS meals just seem better for us.

So based off of that experience and now being 12 years older and wiser(hopefully). I am planning my third WDW/US trip which is also my honeymoon, we are going June 18-25 and it will be first for future DH and first for staying onsite for me, so I definitely want to make sure we get to see and do as much as possible from morning to night as chances are we won't get back to WDW til we have a child old enough to go which imo is 5 or 6, but who knows what our financial situation will be by then so we want to make the most of this trip that we can afford although we are still being very frugal to stay under our $3500 budget.

So far I have excel spreadsheets with our reservations for flight, hotel etc. and then several tabs from that for each day, a week at a glance, and packing list. For each day I have listed park, itinerary, FP rides, QS restaurants we wouldn't mind eating at, and a schedule on how to attack park, starting at RD and ending with nightly show with no breaks. We will carry backpack each day to park with essentials(meds, sunscreen, ponchos, etc) as well as snacks and drinks. I have already read Unoffical tour guide and made customized tour plans. The only thing I have yet to do is order the park tickets, which I will do next month.

Glad I found the commando club as I think I qualify and I can't wait for my honeymoon and look forward to finish reading this thread to know I am not the only one out there.

I would say I am commando as well. This is my 3rd trip to WDW but first as an adult and it will be for my honeymoon, future DH has never been and laughs and calls me OCD for all the spreadsheets, the folder I've started to put together, reading the Unofficial Tour Guides and being on the DIS so much.

My first trip I really didn't have a say about planning as I was only 10 and it was my first time there and as any 10 year old kid was just super excited to be there and it didn't matter as long I got character autographs and rode lots of fun rides.

My second trip I did research, I was 16, and this was an extended family trip, it included my aunt, uncle and 2 cousins (ages 10mo and 7 at that time). I learned all about fast pass as I knew it would be crowded since it was week of July 4. We are AAA members so took advantage of diamond parking and the early entry for Universal and their free express pass at that time. I can't remember exactly but I think I used some sort of crowd calendar type advice to pick which days we would go where and same for which attractions to see first and get FP for first. Surprisingly my family went along with all my plans and they couldn't of been more happy and still talk about that trip as the best WDW/US trip they have been on and that they couldn't believe they saw everything in all the parks without having to wait in line all the much, except for Spiderman as it was new and the wait was ridiculous. I didn't know about ADRs plus now that I do I just don't like the concept of booking a time for my meal or sitting down with more food than I can eat that imo is overly priced, and that's taking time out of my "ride time", it's hot in Orlando in the summer and snacks, small QS meals just seem better for us.

So based off of that experience and now being 12 years older and wiser(hopefully). I am planning my third WDW/US trip which is also my honeymoon, we are going June 18-25 and it will be first for future DH and first for staying onsite for me, so I definitely want to make sure we get to see and do as much as possible from morning to night as chances are we won't get back to WDW til we have a child old enough to go which imo is 5 or 6, but who knows what our financial situation will be by then so we want to make the most of this trip that we can afford although we are still being very frugal to stay under our $3500 budget.

So far I have excel spreadsheets with our reservations for flight, hotel etc. and then several tabs from that for each day, a week at a glance, and packing list. For each day I have listed park, itinerary, FP rides, QS restaurants we wouldn't mind eating at, and a schedule on how to attack park, starting at RD and ending with nightly show with no breaks. We will carry backpack each day to park with essentials(meds, sunscreen, ponchos, etc) as well as snacks and drinks. I have already read Unoffical tour guide and made customized tour plans. The only thing I have yet to do is order the park tickets, which I will do next month.

Glad I found the commando club as I think I qualify and I can't wait for my honeymoon and look forward to finish reading this thread to know I am not the only one out there.

:welcome: You are member #186 :cool1: Congratulations on your upcoming Honeymoon trip:yay: I also spent my Honeymoon at WDW and I have a tip for you:confused3 Make sure you buy the Bride & Groom Ears, they bring much Magicpixiedust: Lot's of cool stuff happened including my 1st encounter with The Dapper Dans:woohoo:

Thank you! I agree! There is always time to sleep on the plane! :lmao: We had to select three dates that we would like to travel as well as list the Deluxe resorts we would like to stay at etc and submit those to Disney. Right now I am still waiting on Disney to confirm, so hopefully we will get our first choice which is early June. We would like to be there for Star Wars Weekends! :goodvibes

I hope you get the date in June:woohoo:, I've never been there for Star Wars Weekend, but hear you have to be a Commando to get some of the Meet & Greets done:confused3

I promise to make one as soon as my ADR window opens. I wouldn't want to make one, change it, change it again, and again and again and scare all the nice people.:eek:

:lmao: That's part of the fun, tons of new stuff pops up in that 180 day time, 99% are things no one knows about yet:confused3

I am a WDW Park Commando (against DW's wishes). May I join the club? Why didn't I find this thread earlier?

I am a WDW Park Commando (against DW's wishes). May I join the club? Why didn't I find this thread earlier?

I guess I need to provide some justification.

My commando day starts before the park opens - 8:05 ADR at CRT, CP, Akershus, or Tusker. I just can't bring myself to do the DHS breakfast yet again. My commando strategy used to involve stocking up on the FPs earlier in the day and using them at the end of the day. It looks like I need to adjust that now.

A coworker came up to me today and said I hear your the person to ask about Disney, so I said what do you want to know:confused3, she told me she is going the 3rd week in March, so I asked what do you have planned, she said nothing :scared1: I asked if she had any ADR's, she said no:eek:, I asked if this was her 1st trip, she said yes, her and her husband are bringing there 20 something kids for the 1st time, She asked about the books out, but I have not read them so I really couldn't answer, she said she knew I gave some big tips to other coworkers that had a blast, but I had to tell her that they have been there before or had a lot more planning time:confused3, I had to be honest with her, I told her if it was me I would be fine, but if you don't know what your getting into, your in for a shock, she was quite surprised when I told her this was not like going to Six Flags or Busch Gardens, I told her I would help with what I can but I will be holding back, since I know for sure they would be overwhelmed if I gave them the full picture:confused3

A coworker came up to me today and said I hear your the person to ask about Disney, so I said what do you want to know:confused3, she told me she is going the 3rd week in March, so I asked what do you have planned, she said nothing :scared1: I asked if she had any ADR's, she said no:eek:, I asked if this was her 1st trip, she said yes, her and her husband are bringing there 20 something kids for the 1st time, She asked about the books out, but I have not read them so I really couldn't answer, she said she knew I gave some big tips to other coworkers that had a blast, but I had to tell her that they have been there before or had a lot more planning time:confused3, I had to be honest with her, I told her if it was me I would be fine, but if you don't know what your getting into, your in for a shock, she was quite surprised when I told her this was not like going to Six Flags or Busch Gardens, I told her I would help with what I can but I will be holding back, since I know for sure they would be overwhelmed if I gave them the full picture:confused3

I've been in the same sitiuation... with co-workers who were going with no planning.

Thing is a LOT of people do that, and still have a good time.

Imagine how much better it would be if they actaully had some really good restaurants booked, or had starategies to beat the lines.

You still can help with a rough touring plan, or tips on getting on the big ticket rides.

i.e. At DHS, make sure you hit TSM first, ToT and RnR (with single rider line if to busy), and ST. On the way to these you will see some smaller attractions and shops, take time to appreciate the little things, but don't miss out on the big attractions. And make time for F! at night.

2 Sentences, and the ball is in their court. ;)

Oh, and explain how Fastpasses work currently, and how they will work first week in March.

:welcome: Norm...

How could you not have known of this place?

Something tells me though, that post counts in the Commando Club are about to skyrocket.

Kettle. I don't get over to this forum very often, but looks like I'm here to party.

A coworker came up to me today and said I hear your the person to ask about Disney, so I said what do you want to know:confused3, she told me she is going the 3rd week in March, so I asked what do you have planned, she said nothing :scared1:

I have learned to handle these requests as well. They can still have fun, but if you try to overwhelm with stuff, they just shut down.

As for packing a park bag, I solve that by not bringing one. Light wallet goes in one pocket and cell phone & tiny bottle of sunscreen goes in the other. I try to wear cargo shorts so I can carry what I want without a bag. We breeze right by the bag check area.

DW insists on carrying a bag. It made sense when children were in diapers. But, now that they are 10 & 8, I say no more bag. She disagrees and wins.

For my dinner ADR, I usally make for a out of park resturant, this way after dinner it's off to a different park (usally the one with the EMH for the night), then depending on what time it closes off to DTD or the Boardwalk.

the EMH's in the a.m. go back to the resort sometime during the day,hit the pool,take a nap go to dinner and hit the park that has the evening EMH's (this time of year some are open really late:thumbsup2) IMO the a.m, and night time are the best times to get alot done.

Losing park time to transportation time to eat? What is this nap thing you speak of? Inconceivable.

I forgot to mention, a true Commando must be in good shape. Make sure to practice walking before your trip. I always start in on my treadmill, when I have a hard time going I think of Disney and that helps with my workouts. In fact I need to start training right away, I will begin tomorrow!

I'm in terrible shape but still manage commando. Pace yourself - turtle vs hare

I bring a variety of shoes.

Sneakers for early morning/afternoon touring

comfortable flip flops( for me that means they must have an arch) to change into when/if my feet get hot

cute sandals to match dresses/skirts for dinner ADRs.

Don't forget water shoes for water parks/pools

I try to get new pair of shoes before we go for all the walking we're about to do. Crocs for the pool.

If you come across unexpected crowds, How do you deal with it:confused3

I used to collect FPs in morning and use them in afternoon. Guess I'll need a new strategy.

. :)
PS-I have spray on sunscreen so I can spray the kids and keep moving. :thumbsup2

My strategy is to be on more attractions and stay out of the sun. Or, stop in philharmagic, soak up air conditioning, and reapply sunscreen. Not sure how happy others would be with the spray type inside there. :scared1:

i always wondered how many people walk around with that info on a card or paper in there pocket while at the park? if they do, how they set theres up and what it looks like? mine is simple, the day and date on the top. am = m.k pm = epcot. than under each am or pm, i have our adrs and special events. on the bottom right side of the paper i have all four parks hours. the emh times are all ready in the park hours.:lmao: anyone else carry this info with them??????

What is this paper you speak of? You have an iPhone now!

We also do super commando our last day - MUST hit the mountains at MK, TOT and RNR at HS, Everest at AK, and we end with TT and Soarin, then and only then am I ready to get on the plane!

Sounds fun but too much transportation time for me. We just prefer to pick a park and ride the same rides repeatedly.

I have meals planned. I have already started running ridemax for similar park days. I will have printed itineraries for every day, with a mini laminated copy for all the adults in the party. While I definitely love sitting on a bench and watching the magic occur, this is a scheduled "ice cream, soda, or other snack" break. I go every other year and absolutely love seeing everything I can each trip.

Don't forget the Dole Whip snack. Pineapple/vanilla swirl is the best.

We will be there Aug 15th-21st. I always find it is fun with a group of people that know how to have Disney fun (that's how I got DH hooked, and I ended up getting a Disneymoon out of it).

DW disneymooned there as well. Her first trip and my second trip. No ADRs. No plans. Just fun - commando style - in the parks.

MNSSHP 7pm - 12am Halloween Night. most likely the most packed out of all the MNSSHP dates.

The gate opens at 4 with MNSSHP tickets.

We get in at 11:30 on the 15th. Planning on going to MK and CRT for dinner...hoping to watch wishes and if we can see any of it spectromagic.

At some point I need to go to shades of green and get the military tickets as it is my way of keeping my no expiration date tickets intact so we can come back. I just found the tickets were still on sale last night and got DH VERY excited about it. This trip is DBFF present for her birthday and Christmas. We are doing the DXDDP..

We did DP and DxDP. I love food, but could not handle it all on DxDP. Plus, we list too much park time to meals. Character dining is a must. That way, you get pics and autographs without standing in line for greets in the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter