WDW Commando Club

Hi everyone! Well, I thought I could do a sort of less Commando trip this year....but it's just not gonna happen!! :lmao: As it is, my upcoming March trip is only 5 days (Boooo!) and after talking to my kids, they would rather do more stuff and less relaxing (YES!!!!)

I'm also unimpressed with the Limited Time Magic promo so far. :sad2: I think I let myself fall for the hype and so now I'm just all "Oh." about it when I see the so called Magic. :/

I planned meals around our usual dining habits, using them as a break would have been a great idea. We do a have an afternoon of free time, that could easily be a full day, Temperature permitting the boys can go to Typhoon lagoon, the girls can go shopping !!

I am not a Commando by personality, but I quickly learned the value of it, and how it can sometimes not pan out when the other commando in your family takes over.

My first time planning the trip, (back then I preferred spontanaity) it was my DW that wanted the plan of course she wanted the plan but she wanted me to do it.

So I planned it, as we were on the dining plan, I researched restaurants, made reservations, planned park visits with respect to where we were eating, used the unofficial guide to Disney world as a reference etc. Perfect Plan.......

Then while we were there my wife changed park visits to match the weather of the day...................................................

Sorry I started hyperventallating again.

Anyhow, the next visit is coming up again and I made a plan, not only for us but for friends who are coming with us. This time I got the Lawyer to draw up a contract regarding changes, and reminded my DW that he is also a divorce lawyer (joking).

In truth, I hope we can stick to the plan, the only draw back of making changes when you plan around dining is the time wasted travelling from one park to another or a resort. In one case it took us an hour of boats, buses and monorails to get there in time for the reservation, thats a fair bit of in park time lost. Of course as an act of revenge I did walk slow a few times, or in the case of one reservation actually made us go the long way around, just making it in time!!! :rotfl: For you DH's out there I also learned that revenge is not a wise idea, becasue DW's are taught how to make you feel guilty in grade school and are much better at it than us guys. Maybe I can get a precription for valium before we leave.:thumbsup2

:welcome: You are member #226 :cool1:, I wonder if the Lawyer idea would work:scratchin:lmao:, For us the time traveling to dinner at a resort or heading to another park that is our rest time:rolleyes1
I can't help you with getting a prescription, but I can tell you of a few good places to grab a nice cocktail (or two or maybe 3:thumbsup2)

Today I called WDW to make one of the most important ressie's I make on our trips to WDW, The 12noon haircut at Harmony Barbershop:thumbsup2

Disney Commando said:
Today I called WDW to make one of the most important ressie's I make on our trips to WDW, The 12noon haircut at Harmony Barbershop:thumbsup2

Oh I know you and your son are going to love that.

Oh I know you and your son are going to love that.

My son looks forward to getting his haircuts there, where else can you get pixie dust in your hair, this is something I think he will continue to do with his kids and maybe grandkids, long after I'm gone:goodvibes

Is anyone else feeling disappointed in The Limited Time Only Promo so far:confused3 IMO I thought they would do a lot more then they are doing:confused3, If I was in charge of a promo I would do a "You Never Know What To Expect" Year, where something might only last a few minutes in a spot you would never think of, a lot of people don't need to be present (someone will capture it it on film) and it would create a lot of buzz, it would keep people on their toes during the trip, I could come up with tons of ideas of little things to do that would make some guests visit one they will always remember (in a good way:goodvibes), but unfortunately that's not my job, but if it was there would be a lot of great times to come:thumbsup2

I agree, it is the smallest most unexpected thing that can make the most lasting memories.

one of our most magical memories of Disney World, happened when we first took out son. We had just exited The Little Mermaid attraction in Disney Hollywood Studios, when we saw the One Man's Dream attraction, it seemed to be just tucked away in a corner. In an act of spontanaity or was it revolt because it was an Epcot day according to the SCHEDULE, we went in. As we entered we were greeted by 2 cast members who proceed to give us fast passes to all the rides in the park. Since my son was three, many of the rides he could not go on, we gave them to a co-worker and his family who happened to be there at the same time. It was at the out door quick service area across from the Beauty and The Beast play.

There were two cast members doing a day off visit at the time, after I returned to our table, they came up and said that they had overheard my conversation and sharing of our fast passes, and told me that was exactly the type of spirit Disney looks for in Cast Members. That was 5 years ago today and it still brings a tear to my eye. Although maybe the tears are from the fact that I can't retire and go work for Disney until 2029.

Our son, the lucky devil was born 2 weeks early which plunked his birthday right in the middle of March Break for were we live. And I have to say, celebrating a birthday at Walt Disney World is really a Magical Experience, from a surprise from Cinderalla and Prince Charming in our hotel when we returned to it, the character meals with special attention from the characters, the Birthday sign on the go cart at the track in Magic kingdom, and finally the the Trash Can that chased my son around tomorrow land and sang Happy birthday to him.

It really is a little surpise that can make Magical Memories

I had my hair and beard cut and trimmed there in Jan. It was a last minute decision. When we check into resort, I went to the concierge to make a reservation, and was told that the Barber Shop doesn't take reservations, it is only walk in only! :mad:
So the next day I walked in and got groomed. I mentioned what had happened and the CM's told me that the concierge didn't know what they were talking about! So, good for you to make them early! :thumbsup2

Just found this thread and want to be part of it. I'm going to go back and start from the beginning.
Last year my family said they wanted to take it easy and not be Commandos. After a couple of days they were so disappointed with how little we have done. Good thing we've had a lot of practice and slipped right back to Commandos.

I am not a Commando by personality, but I quickly learned the value of it, and how it can sometimes not pan out when the other commando in your family takes over.

My first time planning the trip, (back then I preferred spontanaity) it was my DW that wanted the plan of course she wanted the plan but she wanted me to do it.

So I planned it, as we were on the dining plan, I researched restaurants, made reservations, planned park visits with respect to where we were eating, used the unofficial guide to Disney world as a reference etc. Perfect Plan.......

Then while we were there my wife changed park visits to match the weather of the day...................................................

Sorry I started hyperventallating again.

Anyhow, the next visit is coming up again and I made a plan, not only for us but for friends who are coming with us. This time I got the Lawyer to draw up a contract regarding changes, and reminded my DW that he is also a divorce lawyer (joking).

In truth, I hope we can stick to the plan, the only draw back of making changes when you plan around dining is the time wasted travelling from one park to another or a resort. In one case it took us an hour of boats, buses and monorails to get there in time for the reservation, thats a fair bit of in park time lost. Of course as an act of revenge I did walk slow a few times, or in the case of one reservation actually made us go the long way around, just making it in time!!! :rotfl: For you DH's out there I also learned that revenge is not a wise idea, becasue DW's are taught how to make you feel guilty in grade school and are much better at it than us guys. Maybe I can get a precription for valium before we leave.:thumbsup2

Welcome to the club! :cool1:

I know what it is like when you plan everything and people suddenly want to change things. I managed to keep my Fiancee and future Mother in Law (mostly) in check on our last trip, but couldn't avoid some of their changes.

Thankfully we were just on the QSDP which means few ADRs, almost all of which we did (I just cancelled a Tusker House breakfast as we decided that doing 2 table service breakfasts was a bit hard on the budget!)

Just found this thread and want to be part of it. I'm going to go back and start from the beginning.
Last year my family said they wanted to take it easy and not be Commandos. After a couple of days they were so disappointed with how little we have done. Good thing we've had a lot of practice and slipped right back to Commandos.

Welcome aboard.

Welcome and yes, so often that's how it goes. It's because of you commando right, you can relax AND have a blast:thumbsup2

Welcome and yes, so often that's how it goes. It's because of you commando right, you can relax AND have a blast:thumbsup2
We're all commando, but I'm the planner. The best advise I every received is to get everyone involved before hand. Find out what shows and rides we want and figure out how to do them all.

So I just got word from my friends that I did the touring plan for. (they are at AKL concierge for the next 9 days) She is overwhelmed with all the "stuff" to do and see at WDW. I made all sorts of ADR's for them and laid out a basic plan, when to do each park.
When she texted me she said that they were "STILL" at Epcot- I almost had heart failure:scared::faint: , they were suppose to do Princess Breakfast and then jump to MK- :crazy2: day2 and they're already off my plan! :faint:

I may not survive the next few days if they keep this up!:upsidedow

So I just got word from my friends that I did the touring plan for. (they are at AKL concierge for the next 9 days) She is overwhelmed with all the "stuff" to do and see at WDW. I made all sorts of ADR's for them and laid out a basic plan, when to do each park.
When she texted me she said that they were "STILL" at Epcot- I almost had heart failure:scared::faint: , they were suppose to do Princess Breakfast and then jump to MK- :crazy2: day2 and they're already off my plan! :faint:

Oh my, imagine if you were there with her. What have we learned? While we may help our friend, we will NEVER vacation with them to WDW:rotfl:Joking aside, they probably got caught up in the Disney "eyes bigger than your stomach" syndrome and started second guessing the plans you provided. Hopefully they have learned there lesson after today.

Oh my, imagine if you were there with her. What have we learned? While we may help our friend, we will NEVER vacation with them to WDW:rotfl:Joking aside, they probably got caught up in the Disney "eyes bigger than your stomach" syndrome and started second guessing the plans you provided. Hopefully they have learned there lesson after today.

I'm pretty sure she wishes I was WITH them now. To lead the way and get through everything....but that goes back to my original offer: pay for me to go, and I'll be you personal guide and make the magic happen pixiedust:

The PH was sure to have confused them. Plans have to be simplified for some.

:welcome: You are member #227 :cool1: Commandos are a elusive & unsung breed of tourers that most say they do not want to follow due to being always on the go and not resting, but the sad truth to the matter is that if read people's pre trip reports & then the trip report , that swear up and down that they would never tour Commando, you most likely will find that somewhere during the trip most turn Commando to make up time and get things done, but of course they will not admit it, just goes to show we must be doing something right:lmao:

You know the old saying "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink" I hope this is not their AAA Fireworks day:scared1:

The PH was sure to have confused them. Plans have to be simplified for some.

It was too simple, "after you finished breakfast, go to the monorail, and go to the MK" (the husband & wife went to WDW when they were both in their teens, so their not totally clueless) They run their own business so they are kinda the delegate everything, make it happen people (that's where I came into the picture)

It's all OK though, I was just trying to keep them out of EP because it was the most crowded today, but if they got EP done, then they'll just have more time later in the week, (2 days allotted for each park) to complete MK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter