WDW Commando Club 2 - Magic Bands & FP+ Oh My

We currently have a place that's close in size as yours. Unfortunately our area is up for development with 7 monster home being built this year alone in our area. So it's no surprise we were bought out by overseas investors. We wanted out of the city we currently live in, as the drivers are insane, and were just tired of it in general. We've wanted to live in another city around 1 hr drive from here in a certain area of it for many years, and it's no fun, when you are living in a high development area, never knowing when you are going to be bought out.. We were able to get into area, land and home we wanted, and it's within walking distance of both the elementary and secondary schools. We'll always be too far away from the Disney parks to make it viable to go to on a regular basis, but we love the new home, although the kids,especially my DS12, who's the stress magnet of the 2 of them is going to kill us, when they find out what we've done. I've already decided I'm heading back to DL after the family trip to WDW in Jan/17. My solo trip will be in Nov/17, but am still deciding on dates and how long I want to go for. There's enough room for DH to build a large shop on, and land for the greyhounds to play in. Can even have chickens, which DS11 will be in heaven over, as he loves chickens. It's going to be a fun move. Just spent alot of hours today arranging transfer of services. Ticked off we couldn't keep our phone# since we are moving out of our city. Such is the life of moving before Christmas. We never thought we'd be moving this close to Christmas, but to get the home we wanted it was worth it, as there's nothing out on the real estate market that's even remotely close to what we are looking for. This is what happens when you are looking for properties that are 1/10th of 1% of what's currently available on the real estate market right now.

We currently have a place that's close in size as yours. Unfortunately our area is up for development with 7 monster home being built this year alone in our area. So it's no surprise we were bought out by overseas investors. We wanted out of the city we currently live in, as the drivers are insane, and were just tired of it in general. We've wanted to live in another city around 1 hr drive from here in a certain area of it for many years, and it's no fun, when you are living in a high development area, never knowing when you are going to be bought out.. We were able to get into area, land and home we wanted, and it's within walking distance of both the elementary and secondary schools. We'll always be too far away from the Disney parks to make it viable to go to on a regular basis, but we love the new home, although the kids,especially my DS12, who's the stress magnet of the 2 of them is going to kill us, when they find out what we've done. I've already decided I'm heading back to DL after the family trip to WDW in Jan/17. My solo trip will be in Nov/17, but am still deciding on dates and how long I want to go for. There's enough room for DH to build a large shop on, and land for the greyhounds to play in. Can even have chickens, which DS11 will be in heaven over, as he loves chickens. It's going to be a fun move. Just spent alot of hours today arranging transfer of services. Ticked off we couldn't keep our phone# since we are moving out of our city. Such is the life of moving before Christmas. We never thought we'd be moving this close to Christmas, but to get the home we wanted it was worth it, as there's nothing out on the real estate market that's even remotely close to what we are looking for. This is what happens when you are looking for properties that are 1/10th of 1% of what's currently available on the real estate market right now.

If I time everything right, I'll have the house paid off before both dds go to college. So, I can cash flow their college that investments, tuition benefit (I work for University), and any scholarships don't cover. Our town is only about 60,000 people, so no risk of being bought out by investors. But, we are in top school district on the side of town everyone is trying to buy into, as well as current & future construction projects. So, again with timing, I'm hoping my home's value will go up even more and I can sell in 7 years.

I live in a large city very close to the major airport in our city. We currently own 2 properties here, with one being sold. Our other property is 1/3rd of an acre with a tiny house. It is also under the development axe so to speak, and from time, to time we've had offers on it but nothing big enough to make us sell. We do intend to sell that property eventually, and have told our good friend in real estate, who handled the purchase of our new home that if he thinks the area is about to be developed to give us a call and we'll list it with his real estate agency. We currently have good renters in it at the moment. With the sale of this property we will be able to pay off our mortgage and my DH can semi-retire off the proceeds of it. Real estate prices here are insane, and it's taking alot of new homeowners out of the market. Who can afford to purchase a home on a tiny lot for over $800,000+????? And that's at the low end of the prices here. The real estate speculators keep saying the market is badly need of a correction. However with the market so hot here, I can't see it happening anytime soon. Problem with living on an island, land is at a premium, with over 2/3's of the land in farms, and the rest in commercial/industrial/residential. This drives the prices up even higher, due to the limited amount of residential land avail to develop. If our market is anything like yours, I have no doubt your home will accrue value the longer you have it. Just be aware that as your home increases in value, so do the homes in the area you want to eventually buy into. All too often people see the $$$'s attached to their property and fail to realize what it's going to cost to replace it. Had we waited 2 to 3 years to sell like we had originally planned, we would have been priced out of the area we wanted to move into. SO sometimes things work out for the best, even though I'm not thrilled to be moving before Christmas. It will be nice to live in the country for a change. The home we bought is in a pocket community of homes surrounded by farm land. Have a great day!!

Trish

Just to give everyone a chuckle. We had thought we had over paid for the place we bought by around $50,000 but loved enough to buy it. Our bank assessed it for mortgage purposes and it was assessed at $200,000 over what we paid for it. Had it been for sale for what the bank says it's worth there's no way we could have afforded it. It shows you how insane the housing market is here. Turns out we got one heck of a deal on it....go figure.

Hi Everyone:wave:, It's been awhile hope everyone is well, I've been working on a lot of house projects and planning Dis Vacations:thumbsup2, Since the last time I've been on I have been on 2 trips:cool1: and in the next 50 days I have 2 more planned:jumping3:. We have been going to WDW with another family, and I have come up with a plan that makes everyone happy:goodvibes

In the morning go to the park with the EMH, do the rides until 10:00, then have your FP's made in another park that does not have any EMH that day for 11am, 12pm & 1pm or as close as possible. 1:30 - 5pm is down time (sleep, hit the pool, stay in a park, go to DTD, have a late lunch early dinner, whatever ). Then at 5:30 head to park that has PM EMH or park that is open latest:banana:

That's 3 parks plus 3.5 hrs of downtime. I have found this to work well when traveling in a large party:thumbsup2

Next trip is all about Christmas and maybe some Star Wars, and the trip after is all about Star Wars and rides:jumping1:

Just to give everyone a chuckle. We had thought we had over paid for the place we bought by around $50,000 but loved enough to buy it. Our bank assessed it for mortgage purposes and it was assessed at $200,000 over what we paid for it. Had it been for sale for what the bank says it's worth there's no way we could have afforded it. It shows you how insane the housing market is here. Turns out we got one heck of a deal on it....go figure.

Nice Score:thumbsup2

I am quite pleased that The Star Wars Launch Pad opened the other day at HS:worship: By the time it's open a full week I will have been there a few times:thumbsup2:cool1:

Last edited:

Hi everyone.....long time since Ive been on the boards. I dont use my computer much anymore, and the Dis App on my Ipad crashes all the time.
Havent been to WDW since Nov 2014 and feeling the need now for a Dis fix, so "talks" are underway for Nov 2016. Happy, happy, happy.

Hi everyone.....long time since Ive been on the boards. I dont use my computer much anymore, and the Dis App on my Ipad crashes all the time.
Havent been to WDW since Nov 2014 and feeling the need now for a Dis fix, so "talks" are underway for Nov 2016. Happy, happy, happy.

Yes, I'm still not a fan of the new boards either, but hope you got a fix. We're booked for April at Boardwalk, but I'm ready to go now.

Just to give everyone an update. We love the new place. Love being out in the country. Downside to it is due to phone cable issues we won't have phone cable Internet till the new year. We are using our cell phones to gain access to outside world. Which came in handy when Muttley messed with one of neighbour's cats this morning. Cat 1 greyhound 0 and a big vet bill to get 7 stitches in his ear.

Trish

I don't know if this is still active but count me in. I am definitely commando, I think it makes it more fun and enjoyable to have something to look forward to! My boyfriend does not agree though but I think he's secretly the same way with his favorite parks. I live about 40 minutes from Disney World and currently trying to decide if I should invest in annual passes. I'm in love with the MagicBand

Just to give everyone an update. We love the new place. Love being out in the country. Downside to it is due to phone cable issues we won't have phone cable Internet till the new year. We are using our cell phones to gain access to outside world. Which came in handy when Muttley messed with one of neighbour's cats this morning. Cat 1 greyhound 0 and a big vet bill to get 7 stitches in his ear.

Trish

Sorry I missed the post. The new place sounds great.

I don't know if this is still active but count me in. I am definitely commando, I think it makes it more fun and enjoyable to have something to look forward to! My boyfriend does not agree though but I think he's secretly the same way with his favorite parks. I live about 40 minutes from Disney World and currently trying to decide if I should invest in annual passes. I'm in love with the MagicBand

I don't know if we are still active either, but I'll say hello. I'm hoping to move to Florida in another 10 years in retirement, and may settle as far South as the Vero Beach area. I would get APs and go often, especially during low crowd times and weekdays.

I don't like the MB though and would rather just use the KTTW card.

We can surely get active! Hiya! I live far away but go for long trips. I've worked out the math and AP's will save even me money, so I recommend definitely if you're so close.

We can surely get active! Hiya! I live far away but go for long trips. I've worked out the math and AP's will save even me money, so I recommend definitely if you're so close.
It would definitely save money for me. As a Florida resident, I'd do the discount for the weekday AP which is $275 and I can do monthly payments of $13.66 after $112 down. So even if I went only 3 times (I would definitely go more) it would be cheaper, especially with the new pricing. My problem is finding someone to go with who'd be willing to get an AP with me. Hmmm.

Speaking of commando, this year's trip has evolved into 5 consecutive park days. I think I may be too old for this. And, I got to to FPs and ADRs for each day which was a bit of a chore. Still, I'm looking forward to it.

It would definitely save money for me. As a Florida resident, I'd do the discount for the weekday AP which is $275 and I can do monthly payments of $13.66 after $112 down. So even if I went only 3 times (I would definitely go more) it would be cheaper, especially with the new pricing. My problem is finding someone to go with who'd be willing to get an AP with me. Hmmm.

If my family was closer, then you could hang with us at the park. Maybe you can talk your BF into it.

Hi everyone,

Looks like there hasn't been much activity on the new thread. :(

Going full commando for our big family trip in February 2017. (I was substantially more "relaxed" for our last trip in January '16). I can make ADRs in about a month & I plan on doing several PPOs in order to get in line early for 7DMT, Soarin & Frozen. I am planning 2 days at Epcot- 3/1/17 & 3/2/17. I am thinking about doing 8 am at GG on 3/1 & heading right to Soarin' & then wanted to do 8am at Akershus on 3/2 but it looks like that day will be morning EMH at Epcot.

Since it looks like the Akershus breakfast res won't do us any good, has anyone done rope drop at International Gateway since FEA opened? Will they open that entrance at 8 am since WS usually opens later than FW? I would appreciate any feedback anyone has to offer for this strategy. I feel it would be worth it if we can wait less than 30-45 minutes by doing this. Otherwise, we would prob just skip it & only get to ride it once with FPP. Thoughts?

Hi everyone,

Looks like there hasn't been much activity on the new thread. :(

Going full commando for our big family trip in February 2017. (I was substantially more "relaxed" for our last trip in January '16). I can make ADRs in about a month & I plan on doing several PPOs in order to get in line early for 7DMT, Soarin & Frozen. I am planning 2 days at Epcot- 3/1/17 & 3/2/17. I am thinking about doing 8 am at GG on 3/1 & heading right to Soarin' & then wanted to do 8am at Akershus on 3/2 but it looks like that day will be morning EMH at Epcot.

Since it looks like the Akershus breakfast res won't do us any good, has anyone done rope drop at International Gateway since FEA opened? Will they open that entrance at 8 am since WS usually opens later than FW? I would appreciate any feedback anyone has to offer for this strategy. I feel it would be worth it if we can wait less than 30-45 minutes by doing this. Otherwise, we would prob just skip it & only get to ride it once with FPP. Thoughts?

Hey there:wave:, yeah, it seems our Commando crew has kind of faded in the back of the Dis :sad1:

I like your plans thus far:thumbsup2. I don't know about FEA RD times, but once you find out, if your heart is set on it, I think w/o the Akershus PPO, you can still make it work, especially if you have a FP+ to ride it a 2nd time and you do Soarin at RP on the other day. Keep us posted :goodvibes

I've also been noticing the Commando's have been quiet of late. I haven't booked the family trip yet, but will in the next couple of weeks. The dates are: Jan 10th to Jan 18th, staying at Pop Century. Sill hunting down better flights, but may get stuck with the not the greatest flights anyway. Don't have to worry about TS as we like to eat CS. But need to be aware that I'll need to book Fastpasses in Nov.

UPDATE: I'm sad to report that our trip to WDW is cancelled:sad::sad:. I checked the prices on WESTJET, and they doubled the price of their packages. Their price gouging knows no boundaries:crowded:, and now we can't afford to go. Looked at other airlines, and while they are somewhat cheaper than Westjet, the prices are so expensive that we are looking at either DL or Waikiki during those same dates as they are cheaper. There's no good reason why Westjet doubled their prices over a 4 week period:faint::faint:. I guess only those who are rich and famous can afford to go there now, not those of us who live on the Wet coast.

Last edited:

I haven't been since FEA, but the IG entrance opens like the main entrance, a bit before the official time, so that you can enter the park. You will walk to the inside of the front of the park where you are still behind the rope, opposite the much larger crowd entering from the main entrance side behind the rope, ready to run to Soarin or Test Track. :lmao:

UPDATE: I'm sad to report that our trip to WDW is cancelled:sad::sad:. I checked the prices on WESTJET, and they doubled the price of their packages. Their price gouging knows no boundaries:crowded:, and now we can't afford to go. Looked at other airlines, and while they are somewhat cheaper than Westjet, the prices are so expensive that we are looking at either DL or Waikiki during those same dates as they are cheaper. There's no good reason why Westjet doubled their prices over a 4 week period:faint::faint:. I guess only those who are rich and famous can afford to go there now, not those of us who live on the Wet coast.

Sorry to hear that the trip is cancelled. I did the April Trip Commando and posted in the Live Trip report in my signature. However, now that everything is mobile with these new boards, those signature links cannot be seen. While the 5 park days were a lot of fun, I agree that we just cannot afford to do that anymore. We've been going to WDW and only doing a max of three parks, or two parks and a MNSSHP. Disney is pricing me out of the market. I thought about APs, but will wait until I retire in Florida and can utilize them more than once or maybe twice a year.

We've been priced out of going to WDW:eek:. At the end of June Westjet's package prices were in the range of what they've been for the past 1 1/2 yrs. For some reason, greed comes to mind, 1 1/2 weeks before I'm ready to book and pay for our trip with them they double the prices of their hotel packages across the board. Not just the values but all the way up to the Deluxe hotels. Air Canada's prices are much better than Westjet's but still out of our price range. We are still going on a family vacation in Jan, but are debating between DL, Alaska Cruise and Waikiki. Hawaii, is looking like the winner, as it's cheaper than a cruise. DS 13 has very conservative views on how women should dress. Where he get's this from we've got no idea as we accept all for who they are. It's worth the price of going to Hawaii just to see his expression when he see's a Hula dance. It's funny, yesterday I went on You Tube and called him into my office just as I put a video of a Hula Dance on. Never seen that kid escape my office that fast:laughing:. He refused to look at it, claiming the women were too scantily dressed. Just need to wait to see if DH can get the time off work for vacation, which won't be a problem. Even for my solo trip next year, I'm thinking of Hawaii, as for the price of 5 days at DL, I can go to Hawaii for $400 cheaper for 7 days. I have been loyal to Westjet, as I've had good experiences with them in the past flying. However, it's looking like the next family and solo trip's we'll be going with Air Canada, as while they are slightly more expensive, their flights are alot better than Westjet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter