WBC or AKL?

AtlantaDisneyDreamer

DIS Veteran
I have a five night vacation booked to stay with my mom and my two daughters at AKL in a standard room for $205 a night. We have stayed at AKL before and loved it and I, in particular, am really looking forward to it again.

However, my uncle owns a Wyndham timeshare and he just asked if we would like to rent some of his points in July.

My biggest concern is transportation. We will have a car, but all of our group will not be staying together. My mom will not be doing the parks. She just enjoys hanging out a nice resort. I can drive my children and myself to the parks, but if Mom wants to go to have lunch at a Disney resort, will it be a major pain for her to get there, if she is sans auto? She won't be on a rushed schedule since she is not trying to do a lot of activity, but I would hate to feel that she is "stuck" somewhere without transportation. Could she get on a Wyndham shuttle late morning and take it to MK then monorail it to the GF (like she could get on a Disney bus)?

How much do you think it would cost us to rent a one or two bedroom at WBC in the middle of July? I haven't asked my uncle yet because I don't want it to seem like we are trying to barter with him on price. I know he already feels like he has lost so much money with this timeshare. I don't want to take advantage of him. Want to pay him a fair rate. So what is a fair rate?

Would the extra space be worth not staying on Disney property? Could I save money by staying at WBC, or would it cost more than AKL? I am planning on purchasing an annual pass so I will not have to pay for parking at the parks.

What would you do?

I am pretty sure you could get a 2 Bedroom at WBC for $200.00 (or less) if they are available.

A one bedroom would not be recommended. Not enough comfortable beds (1 King & a sofa sleeper)

A taxi for your Mom (or you) is a very Good Transportation Plan *B*
~ WBC is fairly close to DISNEY

It would be reasonable to *offer* your uncle $180.00 a night for a 2 Bedroom in July (Prime/Peak season)

5 nights x $180 = $900 total

That would be fair for your uncle and for you ... if it is easily available.

I am referring to Wyndham Bonnet Creek (just to be clear)

There may be other Wyndham properties in the DISNEY area.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure you could get a 2 Bedroom at WBC for $200.00 (or less) if they are available.

A one bedroom would not be recommended. Not enough comfortable beds (1 King & a sofa sleeper)

A taxi for your Mom (or you) is a very Good Transportation Plan *B*
~ WBC is fairly close to DISNEY

It would be reasonable to *offer* your uncle: ... $180.00 a night for a 2 Bedroom in July (Prime/Peak season)

5 nights x $180 = $900 total

That would be fair for your uncle's situation and for you ... if it is easily available.

Thank you for the info! I agree with you on the one bedroom. I just checked out the WBC site and saw the room layouts. I would NOT want anyone to have to sleep on a sleeper sofa.

Would that be $180 all in? Are there additional fees, like parking (I heard they charge $18 a day to park) I would have to pay once I am there?

Would the extra space and bathroom be worth it to you to miss Disney benefits like transportation and EMH (just seeking some other opinions on this)?

$180 a night total = $180 all in ... no extra fees

WBC timeshare Does Not charge for parking or resort fee etc.

Last edited:

Would the extra space and bathroom be worth it to you to miss Disney benefits like transportation and EMH (just seeking some other opinions on this)?

I am not a person who would recommend *on site*

I have stayed in Hotels in the past ... now I am a WBC resort condo person.

I would not stay in a hotel room when I can have all the space of a nice 2 bedroom condo

with ... kitchen - living room - balcony - master bedroom - washer & dryer - etc

$180 a night total = $180 all in ... no extra fees

WBC timeshare Does Not charge for parking or resort fee etc.

There is a (*HILTON* Bonnet Creek) it is a Hotel and it does charge for parking.

But it is not part of Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort (timeshares) = WBC

Last edited:
Yes, all of the extra space is worth it to me. Never thought I'd be saying that but I am! We just stayed at WBC earlier this month for a week and moved to WL for the last 2 nights of our vacation. WBC was great! While we enjoyed WL, we did miss all of the space in the condo. We didn't visit any Disney parks while at WBC but we did eat at several resorts. That gave us enough of the Disney feel :)

We own DVC, but not enough points to stay as often as we do at this point. I'm thinking of purchasing Wyndam timeshare after our stay. We have another rental coming up for 7 nights in June for a one bedroom @ $1013. I'll see if WBC is as nice in June as it was in April :)

Your mom could take cabs to get around and that would put the price just under what AKL would cost. She could take the shuttle but a cab would be quicker.

Have a great vacation whatever u decide!

First thing would be to check availabilty as WBC is very popular. Or maybe you could change dates of your trip. I am a Wyndham owner and currently there are no condos open until July 24.
Another big plus of WBC is you would have 2 bathrooms.

First thing would be to check availabilty as WBC is very popular. Or maybe you could change dates of your trip. I am a Wyndham owner and currently there are no condos open until July 24.
Another big plus of WBC is you would have 2 bathrooms.

Interesting. There are 2 bedrooms available on the website to the general public. I know it is not unusual for timeshares to allocate some rooms to owners and some to the public, but it really seems completely unfair. With putting in that kind of investment, it would seem that owners should get priority. I know that is one of my uncle's complaints with ownership: the public is generally treated better than owners.

I can't speak to one resort over the other, we are staying at AKL for the first time next week, very excited. The only thing I can say is that we enjoy the ease of DME and the buses in general. The thought of having to drive, park, walk, possibly catch a team... Ugh. What if I want to take a midday break from the July heat? Repeat the process, no thank you.
I hope to find watching the animals to be relaxing after time at the park and its part of the reason we chose AKL.
If you are the type that are at the parks from RD to close, is the extra room that important? Maybe if the DDs are teens and take forever in the shower. We have just one DD 13 and one bathroom has never been an issue for use.
No matter where you stay, have fun.

I can't speak to one resort over the other, we are staying at AKL for the first time next week, very excited. The only thing I can say is that we enjoy the ease of DME and the buses in general. The thought of having to drive, park, walk, possibly catch a team... Ugh. What if I want to take a midday break from the July heat? Repeat the process, no thank you.
I hope to find watching the animals to be relaxing after time at the park and its part of the reason we chose AKL.
If you are the type that are at the parks from RD to close, is the extra room that important? Maybe if the DDs are teens and take forever in the shower. We have just one DD 13 and one bathroom has never been an issue for use.
No matter where you stay, have fun.

I think you will LOVE AKL. The value you get for the money is really good, and the resort is so unique.

Personally, I am a stay-onsite kind of gal. I know there are those (including my husband) who think that staying onsite is silly when you can get 3 times the space for the same price somewhere else. I understand that, and we have stayed off site before and enjoyed it. I just know that personally, I feel as if I am missing out on something when I do that - as if I am on the other side of the fence, longingly looking in at the playground.

I am willing to stay off site if it means more comfort and enjoyment for my family. No one in my family, including my kids, is as big a Disney fan as I am. I have to take that into consideration. I also like helping my uncle use up his points (he is older and cannot travel as much as he used to). It looks like for this trip, there is probably no availability at WBC anyway and we will be at AKL. :teeth:

I know many people love WBC and it sounds like a fantastic resort. I may talk with my uncle about renting points for our trip in April when my husband will go to WDW with us. We really need two bathrooms and two sleeping quarters when he is along. When it is just my mom, my girls (ages 8 and 2) and me, one room is enough.

I think you will LOVE AKL. The value you get for the money is really good, and the resort is so unique.

Personally, I am a stay-onsite kind of gal. I know there are those (including my husband) who think that staying onsite is silly when you can get 3 times the space for the same price somewhere else. I understand that, and we have stayed off site before and enjoyed it. I just know that personally, I feel as if I am missing out on something when I do that - as if I am on the other side of the fence, longingly looking in at the playground.

I am willing to stay off site if it means more comfort and enjoyment for my family. No one in my family, including my kids, is as big a Disney fan as I am. I have to take that into consideration. I also like helping my uncle use up his points (he is older and cannot travel as much as he used to). It looks like for this trip, there is probably no availability at WBC anyway and we will be at AKL.

I know many people love WBC and it sounds like a fantastic resort. I may talk with my uncle about renting points for our trip in April when my husband will go to WDW with us. We really need two bathrooms and two sleeping quarters when he is along. When it is just my mom, my girls (ages 8 and 2) and me, one room is enough.

I get it ... :thumbsup2

Our family dynamic is different.

15 years ago when we first visited DISNEY ... the kids were both young & a hotel was fine.

About when they were tweens we changed to staying in suites because we liked the extra space.

We also spent much more time at DISNEY (and other Theme Parks)

Now when we are on vacation ... part of the time we enjoy relaxing (away from the parks)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter