Way to get a free college education

Can you point me to some info on this?

Dawn

Another way that I have just found out about is to look into the CLEP and DANTES exams. I have figured out that DD can take the literature one and the world religions ones this summer. There are LOTS of places online where your child can take the practice tests. The tests themselves are about $90 each which is far less than 3 college credits. A woman I know has a son graduating with a double major in economics and history ALL from taking the tests. There are several colleges that for a fee will prep your transcript and give you a diploma without you actually attending. Real schools too!

I wouldn't go that far and don't plan to for DD but getting some of the general ed done ahead of time is def something we are doing.

Can you point me to some info on this?

Dawn

Dawn:
If you are not already registered, go to collegeboard.com and collegeconfidential.com

Collegeboard is where you sign up for the SAT and SATII and there is loads of information on the site.

I am familiar with collegeboard.com and CLEP testing, however, I do not see where you can not attend a college class ever and still get a college to give you a double major through 100% CLEP testing. I am questioning this.

Dawn

Dawn:
If you are not already registered, go to collegeboard.com and collegeconfidential.com

Collegeboard is where you sign up for the SAT and SATII and there is loads of information on the site.

I am familiar with collegeboard.com and CLEP testing, however, I do not see where you can not attend a college class ever and still get a college to give you a double major through 100% CLEP testing. I am questioning this.

Dawn

LOL.

Can't help you there :laughing:

Dawn

It does seem crazy doesn't it? I would not believe it myself if I didn't know this woman. She used to be my tester for my kids' PIATs before her kids started high school classes. (she homeschools too.) Like I said, not something I want for my kids as far as getting a whole degree but whatever general ed classes we can cut back on for cost purposes, we'll do.

Yes, I am well aware of WHAT Clep is and how to use it, I am also aware of what this article says, you can earn up to your first two years of college (general eds) through CLEP if the college accepts CLEP.

However, I would like to know HOW this student you are talking about:

A. Got classes specific to his major through CLEP
B. Was able to find ALL the classes necessary for his major through CLEP
C. Was able to find a University to take 100% of his college requirements without him ever attending the school and give him a necessary degree.

Dawn

www.creditsbeforecollege.com

There is some state specific info on there as far as our PSEO program but most of it is general and she has links to many study sites. I have been to one of her workshops and it was excellent.

Yes, general eds, but you implied a full college degree.....please explain.

Dawn

It does seem crazy doesn't it? I would not believe it myself if I didn't know this woman. She used to be my tester for my kids' PIATs before her kids started high school classes. (she homeschools too.) Like I said, not something I want for my kids as far as getting a whole degree but whatever general ed classes we can cut back on for cost purposes, we'll do.

I worked for a university for awhile and we had this benefit, but you could only take two classes per semester and they taxed you on the value of the classes. It would have taken forever to get a degree for free.

Graduate tuition is taxed (after a $5500/year exemption) but undergrad is not. That is federal law which can, of course, change at any time.

I am on my third college/University job. (Actually, my third job period!) I made my most recent jump to an ivy league university because I was accepted to a masters program there. I was able to defer for a semester, I got a job there and I can start in the summer and have it fully covered. I think even paying the taxes on the tuition still is a huge, huge bargain for an ivy league masters degree, but that's just my opinion.

I think working in higher education is a well kept secret, particularly private colleges and universities. The three I've worked for have had spectacular benefits. I get five weeks of vacation, two classes per semester for me, full load for my kids (someday) and they put in 9% of my salary into my retirement account if I put in 5%. That's not a match, it's literally a flat 9% of my salary!!
I work in IT and while the salary is lower than I could make in private industry I find the quality of life to be that much better than others I know and the benefits are just too good to pass up.

I am sure benefits vary but again, in my case it's been all private colleges and universities and the benefits have been basically the same between all three and they're just unbelievably generous. I'm not sure I could ever work anywhere else. :goodvibes

Smart gal you are! :goodvibes

Graduate tuition is taxed (after a $5500/year exemption) but undergrad is not. That is federal law which can, of course, change at any time.

I am on my third college/University job. (Actually, my third job period!) I made my most recent jump to an ivy league university because I was accepted to a masters program there. I was able to defer for a semester, I got a job there and I can start in the summer and have it fully covered. I think even paying the taxes on the tuition still is a huge, huge bargain for an ivy league masters degree, but that's just my opinion.

I think working in higher education is a well kept secret, particularly private colleges and universities. The three I've worked for have had spectacular benefits. I get five weeks of vacation, two classes per semester for me, full load for my kids (someday) and they put in 9% of my salary into my retirement account if I put in 5%. That's not a match, it's literally a flat 9% of my salary!!
I work in IT and while the salary is lower than I could make in private industry I find the quality of life to be that much better than others I know and the benefits are just too good to pass up.

I am sure benefits vary but again, in my case it's been all private colleges and universities and the benefits have been basically the same between all three and they're just unbelievably generous. I'm not sure I could ever work anywhere else. :goodvibes

Yes, general eds, but you implied a full college degree.....please explain.

Dawn

Not even implied, that is what he's doing. It's not just clep tests though it is also the DANTES (I think I might be spelling that wrong. They were test originally designed for military personnel but are open to all now.)

Okay I checked and the accronym is DSST.

Here is her layout for the tests her son took to qualify for the degree. The university is Thomas Edison University. The other colleges she lists that will do this are Escelsior College, Charty Oak State College and Verity Institute in Indianapolis. (That's the only one with a location listed, sorry.)

http://www.creditsbeforecollege.com/resources/BA History.xls

there is more info about earning a degree here
http://www.creditsbeforecollege.com/degree-options-for-adults.php And it has links to a few more of the colleges/universities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter