Waving Goodbye To My 20s - Aulani Trip Report - Update 9/25 Going Home (The End)

The luau looks like a ton of fun and yummy food, though i'm surprised they didn't have vegetarian options for your hubby. Did the $24 cards come with your ticket specially or does everyone get an alcohol credit? We did one in Hawaii a few years ago but it was at the military owned hotel so not the best quality, but free drinks :drinking1

Your movie tour looks awesome!!!! We are huge lost fans so I would have been in heaven

Fun updates! I agree, seems like you "have" to do a luau while in Hawaii. Great that this one is within walking distance. So glad you enjoyed! The movie tour looks fun too. If you had the option to do the longer/more $$ option, would you? I wonder what else you see. Bummer about the weather and deciding to skip your beach excursion but I totally agree about the value of not being miserable!!!

The luau looks like a ton of fun and yummy food, though i'm surprised they didn't have vegetarian options for your hubby. Did the $24 cards come with your ticket specially or does everyone get an alcohol credit? We did one in Hawaii a few years ago but it was at the military owned hotel so not the best quality, but free drinks :drinking1

Your movie tour looks awesome!!!! We are huge lost fans so I would have been in heaven

They may have had vegetarian options served to him if when I told him when my mother booked; however, when we booked, I kinda thought this vegetarian change wasn't going to last. (Aren't I a supportive wife?) He was such a meat eater for so long, I mean, you've seen my food reviews and other trip reports, that I figured he would try it for a month or two and then at least start bringing back seafood and chicken into the diet but he's proven my thoughts wrong. At least he was able to visit the buffet for some more food. Everyone gets a "Cove Card" with varying amounts of credit based on the package you buy - either $12, $18 or $24. They could be used either for alcohol, soda, or merchandise at their gift shop. Children's Cove Cards couldn't be used on alcohol though.

Free Drinks would make even the not best quality luau better!

You would have definitely liked the movie tour!

Fun updates! I agree, seems like you "have" to do a luau while in Hawaii. Great that this one is within walking distance. So glad you enjoyed! The movie tour looks fun too. If you had the option to do the longer/more $$ option, would you? I wonder what else you see. Bummer about the weather and deciding to skip your beach excursion but I totally agree about the value of not being miserable!!!

I agree that you have to do a luau at least once - if we returned to Hawaii, it won't be on the must do list since there were many more things we wanted to see and do. I think we would have done the longer option if it was available at the time I had booked as you got to see more stuff from Jurassic World and Lost and other big movies but I didn't realize that was an option until like a week and a half before the trip and I wasn't going to change my plans at that point.

The value of not being miserable was well worth the money spent as we did get a lot more done during that time. We were back at the room before our excursion would have even been over with!

A Bad Choice

Once we were back in the car, we started looking in the guidebook and the Apple Map app to figure out what was nearby. We noticed there looked like a nice sized Botanical Garden down the road. Ho’omaluhia Botanical Gardens is a 400 acre park and is Oahu’s largest botanical garden. The group together the major growing regions of the plants to include Polynesia, India, Africa, Native Hawaiian and Tropical America.

We decided to walk the areas for Polynesia and Native Hawaiian after our initial visit to the visitor’s center. The guide there had said the walk to the lake had become a huge mud pit with the rain and wouldn’t recommend it unless you wanted to get dirty.

WL86ATn.jpg

ZVa1vPZ.jpg

Mongoose!

bqLwSmB.jpg

Tree!

4PWtuER.jpg

Snail

kBfJqRx.jpg

Another Mongoose

abVaxsW.jpg

I think we weren’t that impressed with it as we didn’t do the lake hiking path. It looked like it would be great place for campers though as there were a fair amount of sites there along with facilities at each of the loops.​

Yay, I'm so glad you started your trip report! I've been falling behind on reading non-wedding planning reports because this has taken over my life recently, but I've been anxiously awaiting your TR. Only 4.5 more months until our Aulani honeymoon! We also sprung for the extra legroom emergency exit seats for our flights and after reading your report, I'm SO glad we did. We're also staying in an oceanfront DVC studio...can't wait to see what our view will be!

We're really only planning on one big splurge for our trip, since the trip in general and staying at Aulani is already a huge splurge. I'm kinda torn between renting a cabana for a day or doing a luau. I'm definitely leaning more towards the cabana though. If you had to choose, which one would you do?

Love reading your report! My step mother often will decide to become a vegetarian for a month or so until the urge for a hamburger throws her off track! Love reading your report!

Yay, I'm so glad you started your trip report! I've been falling behind on reading non-wedding planning reports because this has taken over my life recently, but I've been anxiously awaiting your TR. Only 4.5 more months until our Aulani honeymoon! We also sprung for the extra legroom emergency exit seats for our flights and after reading your report, I'm SO glad we did. We're also staying in an oceanfront DVC studio...can't wait to see what our view will be!

We're really only planning on one big splurge for our trip, since the trip in general and staying at Aulani is already a huge splurge. I'm kinda torn between renting a cabana for a day or doing a luau. I'm definitely leaning more towards the cabana though. If you had to choose, which one would you do?

I remember those days of our wedding planning and I was the same way! They can consume your life in planning :)

You will have so much fun on your honeymoon! Smart moving splurging on the extra legroom seats! Those flights are LOOOONNNGGGG

Both the cabana and the luau are worthy splurges. I think with it being your honeymoon though - I would go for the cabana as it would be really relaxing way to spend the day by the pool. My husband and I aren't really people that would stay by a pool all day but we totally were able to as we had a spot to enjoy out of the sun to cool off in between dips! It was so relaxing.

Love reading your report! My step mother often will decide to become a vegetarian for a month or so until the urge for a hamburger throws her off track! Love reading your report!

Too funny! I'm sure at one point he'll finally go into his urge at some point but we'll see! Thank you for reading along :)

A Better Choice

As we weren’t impressed with that botanical garden, I wanted to see something cool! I realized we were on the same side of the island as the Halona Blowhole and I wasn’t sure if it would be in our way again during the trip. We drove down the Kalanianaole Hwy until we reached our destination (thanks Siri!)

They had a decent sized parking lot to support people viewing the Blowhole although it was a busy spot, including two tour groups there as well. We just spent the next 30 minutes or so watching the water! We ended up watching the two guys in the photos at the end getting hit with the blow.

bGNM9UA.jpg

0pEO8wL.jpg

6W1ndRe.jpg

WTO4EAA.jpg

1s3Igsq.jpg

cegs5tj.jpg

y4neqmx.jpg

Z1krk8l.jpg

I'm not sure I'm all that impressed with that blowhole. But I do respect your choice to not join in on the beach thing, when the weather was going to be bad.

I'm not sure I'm all that impressed with that blowhole. But I do respect your choice to not join in on the beach thing, when the weather was going to be bad.

Trying to get the photo to capture the best parts of it were a struggle. I guess I should have just done a video and that would have done it more justice!

I think we would have been miserable at the beach in the misty rain and in the 70s. We don't have impressive waves at our beaches in Florida but at least it usually is nice and warm!

Compromise

As we were finished with the touring for the day, my husband just wanted to get lunch and not leave the hotel again. I was not ok with this as I had Morimoto Waikiki booked for dinner this night! I didn’t want to give that up! After much discussion, we ended up agreeing on going there for lunch instead and cancelling our dinner reservation. They do not take lunch reservations but we figured it probably wouldn’t be much of an issue doing a Walk-In at lunch. Morimoto Waikiki is located at The Modern Honolulu hotel. This is a valet only location but luckily Morimoto validates the valet ticket.

When we looked at the lunch menu upon being sat, we realized there wasn’t much on the lunch menu for vegetarians. I had read reviews online on how Morimoto Waikiki had good dishes for vegetarians but the menu didn’t really reflect that. When we mentioned my husband was vegetarian, he had only 2 options. He ended up getting a vegetable rice bowl as sushi isn’t his thing.

U7QYjmn.jpg

Husband Waiting

I got a cocktail as it is vacation! I’m not sure why I went with a gin cocktail as usually that isn’t a liquor I like but I did like how fresh this cocktail was with the cucumber. Maybe I just can’t handle gin & tonics?

vlRFc4E.jpg

Cucumber Shiso Collins - Bombay Sapphire East Gin, St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur, Fresh Cucumber & Lemon Lime

I went with one of the lunch sets. This was a ton of food! I was so happy I didn’t get an appetizer as well as even more food would have ended up wasted. The fish for the sushi and sashimi tasted so fresh, it melted in your mouth! The tempura felt really light and the vegetables with it were a little different than normal such as the type of squash and other options.

8fFJy7O.jpg

Lunch Set - Sashimi Sushi Combination - Shrimp & Vegetable Tempura, Rice, Miso Soup, Mixed Green Salad

The buri bop was served in a very hot bowl. When it was served, the sauce was poured on top and tossed in front to ensure everything was hot! He was given a warning to avoid touching the bowl as he ate it as it would remain very hot. He was happy with this meal but not overly so especially when compared it to other meals later in the week. I guess he just expected more?

J4tdy8J.jpg

ELQWIWx.jpg

TOWEDbL.jpg

Vegetable Buri Bop Rice Bowl

We skipped dessert as neither of us could even finish our entrees.

We drove back to the hotel for the afternoon and evening.​

Wow, that blowhole sure does blow :-) Bad I know but best I could come up with on a Monday.

Glad you were able to sneak Morimoto's in for lunch. I'd totally be all over your lunch. Getting to try a little bit of everything. Yes, please, and thank you. I can't remember, have you done the one in Orlando yet?

Wow, that blowhole sure does blow :-) Bad I know but best I could come up with on a Monday.

Glad you were able to sneak Morimoto's in for lunch. I'd totally be all over your lunch. Getting to try a little bit of everything. Yes, please, and thank you. I can't remember, have you done the one in Orlando yet?

It made me giggle on a Wednesday so bad jokes work!

Getting a little bit of everything is why I ended up picking that for my lunch! Totally a good choice for me and the sushi was so fresh! I love fish that fresh!

I have done the one in Orlando three times now - twice downstairs (with my husband) and once at the sushi bar (solo) Each time downstairs the service was really off. The timing was just bad. The first time we went was within days of opening so we figured they were working out kinks of being a new restaurant. The 2nd time was way beyond that opening jitters and my husband vowed to not go there again for a while as he was upset. All the food we've eaten has been great though and they totally have that going for them. When I did the sushi bar solo, I had great food and service but I was ordering sushi at the sushi bar, thus I got it as soon as it was made.

Our Cheapest Dinner

The rest of the afternoon we didn’t accomplish much. I think we got cleaned up from the day out, enjoyed our balcony, played on our computers and I know I took a nap. Around 6:00PM, we went across the street to the little shopping plaza to get dinner and decided on Pizza Corner since we had such a large lunch. We figured we could eat the leftovers later in the week. They only have one size of pizza (huge!!!) and it is a New York Style Crust. They do have some nice funky Hawaiian type options but we were just going for basic this evening (no poke pizza for me!)

After we ordered our pizza, we were also given a free order of their garlic knots! These were super good!

QxSPWMh.jpg

Garlic Knots

Our pizza was served within 15 minutes and it was nice to see how they did the half pepperoni pizza. They apparently made two pizzas and just served us a half of each. I’m sure they could use the other half for the slices they sell since we got such a basic pizza. We enjoyed our respective slices and somehow we managed two slices a piece!

wryU91u.jpg

Pizza - Extra Cheese w/ Half Pepperoni

We took the other half of the pizza back to the room. On the way back, I picked up the Daily IWA for the next day and also stopped by the spa to book my early morning class for the next day. ($15 + tax)

About an hour later, it was time for the sunset so we decided to open our bottle of champagne from the day before and enjoy that while eating a slice of my birthday cake. It was such a nice way to enjoy the evening!

EHDxtCv.jpg

Cake & Champagne

I ended up finishing the bottle of champagne myself after my husband had that single glass with his slice of cake.

We watched Guy’s Grocery Games on TV and went to bed!​

Yum! Champagne and cake and ocean sounds heavenly! I'm hoping you at some poke sometime during the trip? Although poke pizza wouldn't do it for me I LOVE raw tuna!

Haven't been to the pizza place across from Aulani but it looks good.

Based on your pictures my oldest DS(19) would have loved Morimoto.... I may have to reserve it at Disney Springs for our December WDW trip.

Thanks for the Morimoto info. Jason and I plan on going during an adults evening next month. We're likely just going for apps so I think we'll stick to the sushi bar.

Looks like a great evening hanging out at the resort. As much as I love food, sometimes its quite nights in the room with some good eats and drinks that really make a trip memorable.

We did Morimoto at Disney Springs on our last trip in May and sat at the sushi bar. We did the seafood tower and it was amazing! I don't think I have had sashimi that tasted so fresh!

I need to add Morimoto to my list. Yum champagne and cake! Happy "belated" birthday by the way!

Yum! Champagne and cake and ocean sounds heavenly! I'm hoping you at some poke sometime during the trip? Although poke pizza wouldn't do it for me I LOVE raw tuna!

It was a really nice way to enjoy the evening! You really can't go wrong with cake & champagne!

I did get some poke during the trip although we still have a few days until then. I love raw tuna too especially when you know its so fresh! The tuna I had in Hawaii was totally some of the best I've ever had.

Haven't been to the pizza place across from Aulani but it looks good.

Based on your pictures my oldest DS(19) would have loved Morimoto.... I may have to reserve it at Disney Springs for our December WDW trip.

It seemed to be a pretty popular place! I think every night at the hotel we say multiple people carrying boxes back to their room (they also deliver to the hotel) as it is such an easy cheap option in the midst of everything. I was really happy with the quality too!

Morimoto Waikiki is mainly Japanese in style - Morimoto at Disney Springs goes across all types of Asian Cuisine. I'm sure your daughter would really enjoy it!

Thanks for the Morimoto info. Jason and I plan on going during an adults evening next month. We're likely just going for apps so I think we'll stick to the sushi bar.

Looks like a great evening hanging out at the resort. As much as I love food, sometimes its quite nights in the room with some good eats and drinks that really make a trip memorable.

Sushi Bar would be the best way to go! That could be a great evening (and then hop over to the hanger as they have lots of awesome cocktails!)

Exactly! You know I love food too - but sometimes you don't have to have a fancy dinner on vacation. As all our dinner reservations were made through Open Table, except Ama Ama, it makes it super easy to change plans on the fly without having to worry about costs of cancelling the reservation (although Alan Wong's does have a 48 hour cancellation policy or you are charged)

We did Morimoto at Disney Springs on our last trip in May and sat at the sushi bar. We did the seafood tower and it was amazing! I don't think I have had sashimi that tasted so fresh!

That seafood tower looks amazing! I saw a couple being built when I was eating at the bar last October. I can only imagine how awesome it tasted. Too much food for a solo person but totally a great idea if you are with lots of seafood/sushi lovers. That is great the sashimi tasted fresh!

I need to add Morimoto to my list. Yum champagne and cake! Happy "belated" birthday by the way!

Thank you :) This is probably the first time in a long time I've had such an enlonged birthday celebration, but you only turn 30 once, might as well enjoy it! With all the options opening up in Disney Springs, I don't know how I"m going to fit everything in now!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter