Waving Goodbye To My 20s - Aulani Trip Report - Update 9/25 Going Home (The End)

Those are some pretty reasonable flights. I hope that you are able to sleep on the plane for the trip home!

We ended up paying a little extra to get a flight with only one layover. I'm truly shocked I was able to manage that from our airport here in Southwest Florida! We typically fly American so getting the airline miles is also nice. I'm thinking we should be good to fall asleep on the flight home. I'll probably bring melatonin for us to take to aid in that. If not, my trip report will end on a very sour note. I will admit I've hated the two red eye flights I've done from LAX home for work. I think I scared my coworker on that first one when we got to Atlanta for the layover and he's like - you're a hot mess. The other one I was solo so at least no one had to deal with me then.

July 2nd Plan Update

After purchasing my airfare at lunch, I decided to look to see if there was 10K race or something during our trip. My husband had been talking about long runs to maintain distance conditioning between April's Dark Side Challenge in WDW and next January's Rebel Challenge in Disneyland. He had decided to do the Wine & Dine at WDW in November. Races in Southwest Florida pretty much die off come April - with the last major 10K being on memorial day. I looked at www.runningintheusa.com to see if there was something on Oahu while we are there. The following 2 races came up:

Screen Shot 2016-02-03 at 8.48.31 PM.png

While at dinner tonight, we discussed this. When I mentioned there was a 10 Mile Race along the shore, he was all over it as he said - that has to be beautiful and wouldn't it be cool to say you've done that?

Screen Shot 2016-02-03 at 8.55.52 PM.png

I mean, look at that photo?

What was even better was the cost!

Screen Shot 2016-02-03 at 7.54.16 PM.png

From what I can tell, its cheap as there are no medals, no real bibs (numbers written on leg) and the afterparty is a potluck (which well, will be something from Super Target seeing as we don't really have a kitchen) I will likely be the last finisher but at least its something! My husband should be in the top 25%

After the race in the morning, we will return to the hotel to clean up, most likely eat lunch at the hotel or across the street, relax around the hotel and then do the luau that evening!

That 6 mile hike is probably off the table for this trip now.​

What an awesome idea to run a race while there! I am putting that in my back pocket for when we return to Aulani in 2019 (I love how DVC members talk about vacations years away). I would have loved to run when we were there in Aug, but that was when I was in the middle of my treatments. All the more reason to return!

Oh you have to convince Mr. DIs-Yoda to surf. It was the most amazing experience and the instructors were super awesome. We were at a beautiful beach with very low waves. My DH wants to just be a surf bum while I run races and teach yoga :). Alas, we both need to keep our careers to pay for all this Disney fun!

When we flew out, we were lucky because my SIL lives in LA. We stayed there a day or 2, then flew Hawaiian air from LAX. We signed up for the credit card, got our free ticket and half off ticket, and cancelled after our trip. We also just read that Virgin America is now flying LAX to HI. We flew Virgin to LA a few years ago and it was awesome! I am so excited to hear about all your planning!!!

Here is the place we ate at that is across the street from Aulani:

http://www.monkeypodkitchen.com/ko-olina/

Another thing, when we were there, the adult pool was empty! One day our DD did a 3 hour activity at Auntie's Beach House so we got to hang by the adult pool with SIl and BIL, it was quiet and almost all the seats were available. The main pool areas are pretty crazy in terms of getting seats. One thing we thought was strange was that the seats on the beach were barely used!

What an awesome idea to run a race while there! I am putting that in my back pocket for when we return to Aulani in 2019 (I love how DVC members talk about vacations years away). I would have loved to run when we were there in Aug, but that was when I was in the middle of my treatments. All the more reason to return!

That would be such a good idea when you return in 2019!

I'm actually kinda nervous about this race but I won't worry about it until after Disney Dark Side Challenge. Some of the course is on a sandy beach which we don't typically run on (even though we do live in Naples, FL!) Starting after Dark Side, we'll probably start going to the beach for training runs to get used to that type of surface. My poor ankle is going to have to be so taped up for 3 months straight! I'm going to have some awesome tan lines ;)

We are so behind on our long term vacation planning at the moment. I only know the next 11 months:
  • Feb 18th to 21st - AKV 1 Bedroom for Princess Glass Slipper
  • April 1st to 3rd - Ritz Cancun for Friend's Bachelorette Party
  • April 14th to 17th - VGF Studio for Star Wars Dark Side Challenge
  • May 6th to 8th - 'Staycation' in Naples for Friend's Wedding (Bridesmaid so I need to just have a room at the hotel)
  • July 1st to 9th - Aulani - Hawaii
  • November 3rd to 9th - Hotel TBD - Disney Wine & Dine
  • January 11th to 17th - Disneyland Hotel - Star Wars Rebel Challenge

We have the following minor/major trips that are in discussion on timing:
  • Disney Cruise
  • Long Key West Weekend
  • Italy (Pompeii, Rome, Wine Country)
  • Japan (won't happen until after Italy)
Trying to balance the running trips and some different types of vacations make things difficult!

Oh you have to convince Mr. DIs-Yoda to surf. It was the most amazing experience and the instructors were super awesome. We were at a beautiful beach with very low waves. My DH wants to just be a surf bum while I run races and teach yoga :). Alas, we both need to keep our careers to pay for all this Disney fun!

When we flew out, we were lucky because my SIL lives in LA. We stayed there a day or 2, then flew Hawaiian air from LAX. We signed up for the credit card, got our free ticket and half off ticket, and cancelled after our trip. We also just read that Virgin America is now flying LAX to HI. We flew Virgin to LA a few years ago and it was awesome! I am so excited to hear about all your planning!!!

I'll work on the convincing - he isn't as much of a water bum as me. He'll get there! So awesome you teach yoga! I love doing my classes a couple times a week although my gym is having some upheaval lately with instructors so I may be on the hunt to follow my favorite teacher around Naples soon.

I totally get on needing to keep up the careers to pay for fun. I think if I didn't have vacations to look forward to I would not be able to deal with work some days! Being able to stop over in LA before getting to Hawaii is great! Totally makes the 6 hour time difference from home less of a burden!

Here is the place we ate at that is across the street from Aulani:

http://www.monkeypodkitchen.com/ko-olina/

Another thing, when we were there, the adult pool was empty! One day our DD did a 3 hour activity at Auntie's Beach House so we got to hang by the adult pool with SIl and BIL, it was quiet and almost all the seats were available. The main pool areas are pretty crazy in terms of getting seats. One thing we thought was strange was that the seats on the beach were barely used!

I'm hoping the adult pool is empty while we are there! We do have that cabana at the adult pool on 4th of July so that will be relaxing. At least we can walk over to the main pool and then come back to the cabana to relax rather than trying to find seats that day.

The beach is usually more my speed than a crazy pool full of children!

Thanks for that restaurant name :) we'll have to look into it!

Thanks for that restaurant name :) we'll have to look into it!

You must eat at Monkey Pod. Every Aulani trip report I've read includes a visit there. It's nothing fancy, but everyone raves about their burgers, happy hour, drinks, and Non-Aulani pricing.

Following along! We're heading to Aulani for our honeymoon in December so I'm looking forward to reading your TR when it happens. My fiancé and I are also running in the Star Wars Darkside Weekend, though we're only doing the 10K since we're beginner runners but still need the real bling!

You must eat at Monkey Pod. Every Aulani trip report I've read includes a visit there. It's nothing fancy, but everyone raves about their burgers, happy hour, drinks, and Non-Aulani pricing.

I will keep that in mind for an easy dinner while we are there! Non-Aulani pricing is awesome!

Following along! We're heading to Aulani for our honeymoon in December so I'm looking forward to reading your TR when it happens. My fiancé and I are also running in the Star Wars Darkside Weekend, though we're only doing the 10K since we're beginner runners but still need the real bling!

Thanks for joining in! Aulani for a honeymoon after a Disney Fairytale Wedding is a perfect disney choice! Years ago my husband and I had a DFTW as well. They totally know how to put together a great wedding! The bling for the 10K looks pretty awesome :) When I signed up for our first Half Marathon (stupidly did so as a challenge for a 10K/Half) I hadn't even done a 10K before. We're bad about easing into things apparently. I love the 10K distance. Enough to be a challenge but doesn't take the long amount of time a half does! Can't wait to hear more about your planning as you work on it!

Waitlist Surprise

I had an awesome surprise in my email this afternoon!

Screen Shot 2016-02-12 at 6.30.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-12 at 6.29.54 PM.png

My Friday Night waitlist came through and my entire reservation is confirmed! Yay for no longer having to worry about finding another hotel room for July 1st or having to worry if it will come through!​

Yay for the waitlist coming through!

It's funny. I will think about you in Hawaii while I'm in Vancouver!

Dining Options

If you have followed any of my other reports, you know I like food, especially fine dining for dinner. I'm planning on trying to keep the casual options for lunches and the fancy options for dinner. I know it will sting the wallet but if I'm probably only making it to Oahu once, I don't want to miss out on some most dos! Some of these might end up being an issue. When we came home from my Disneyland, my husband started eating vegetarian. I'm lucky he likes edamame which at the worst, he can survive on that at the Japanese places on that. He told me to pick places without worrying about him as he'll find something no matter what. Once I get our itinerary completely set for the trip, I will start stalking Open Table for reservations for July! I have more dinner options than I do have nights. Alan Wong's and Morimoto's are the two that are for sure, the other are options we are debating on!

Lunch Options
Honolulu Area
Honolulu Beerworks
- Microbrewery w/ Beer Food

Waikiki Area
Me’s BBQ
- Hawaiian Korean BBQ Hole In The Wall

Southwest Oahu Area
Kona Brewing Company
- We love this beer at home!

Dinner Options

Honolulu Area
Alan Wong’s
- Hawaiian Regional Cuisine
Nanzan Girogiro - Japanese - Traditional kaiseki ryorui (small course) cuisine with seasonal flavors (Chef’s Tasting Menu - $60)

Waikiki Area
Nobu
- Japanese, Fusion, High End
Morimito Waikiki - Japanese

Pearl Harbor Area
Buzz’s Steakhouse - Steakhouse - Views of Sunsets of Pearl Harbor

Aulani Area
Paradise Cove - Luau - We’re doing this on July 2nd
’Ama’Ama - Aulani Open Air Restaurant - We’re doing this July 4th @ 6:30PM after our day in our Cabana
Monkeypod - Everyone says this is a good option. It will probably be our choice on July 1st once we get settled into the hotel and walk over!​

WHAT??????

He went vegetarian? What caused that?

I'm sure if he's open minded he can find stuff anywhere, but that seems to have come out of left field. I thought previously he was a pretty big carnivore but maybe I was mistaken.

WHAT??????

He went vegetarian? What caused that?

I'm sure if he's open minded he can find stuff anywhere, but that seems to have come out of left field. I thought previously he was a pretty big carnivore but maybe I was mistaken.

Yeah. I've been married to him over 8 years and I'm not even sure what caused the reasoning about the vegetarianism. You've read my reports and see how big of a carnivore he was. Part of me thinks its because he gained some weight and was struggling to lose it so he decided to change something up. He's dropped liked 10 pounds since Disneyland. I'm wondering if it will change during our trip to Disney this weekend or over time if he'll crave it again.

DH and I have been vegetarian for about 4 years now and we had no problem finding things to eat. Well, we are pescatarian technically in that we will eat fish from time to time so that helps. I mean how can you not eat fish in HI!!!! Ama Ama is nice, but I actually liked it for breakfast more.

Alan Wongs is a great choice.

Not sure how adventurous you want to be but if you are headed to the North Shore and want some incredible authentic Thai food, try Opal Thai.
http://www.yelp.ca/biz/opal-thai-food-haleiwa

You might want to look at Michels At The Colony Surf but I dont know how they are as far as vegetarian options http://michelshawaii.com/en/michels-page.html might not be worthwhile if you are restricted that way

I read that Chucks at the Marriott Ko Olina is closing and in its place will be a Longhis, might be a nice choice for a decent lunch and it is right there on the walking path from Aulani.

Closer to the trip, you might want to see what the new Four Seasons will have for dining, I am sure they will have some great options. I know I will be checking them out in August!

DH and I have been vegetarian for about 4 years now and we had no problem finding things to eat. Well, we are pescatarian technically in that we will eat fish from time to time so that helps. I mean how can you not eat fish in HI!!!! Ama Ama is nice, but I actually liked it for breakfast more.

Based on how he's been at PHM, I could very well see him adding Fish back into his diet soonish, especially for eating out. He still ate his Caesar Salads like crazy at Disney and when I pointed out "but there's fish!" he said, "whatever, I like the taste."

That is good to know you had no problems finding stuff to eat in Hawaii!

Alan Wongs is a great choice.

Not sure how adventurous you want to be but if you are headed to the North Shore and want some incredible authentic Thai food, try Opal Thai.
http://www.yelp.ca/biz/opal-thai-food-haleiwa

You might want to look at Michels At The Colony Surf but I dont know how they are as far as vegetarian options http://michelshawaii.com/en/michels-page.html might not be worthwhile if you are restricted that way

I read that Chucks at the Marriott Ko Olina is closing and in its place will be a Longhis, might be a nice choice for a decent lunch and it is right there on the walking path from Aulani.

Closer to the trip, you might want to see what the new Four Seasons will have for dining, I am sure they will have some great options. I know I will be checking them out in August!

Personally, I love Thai Food! My husband isn't as much of a fan but I can always pull the bratty "It's my birthday" card this trip.

Michel's looks interesting I'll keep that in mind once Open Table reservations open up for this trip!

We will be keeping the Four Seasons in mind for dining as well. There are too many places to eat and so few days to get it all in though :(

Paradise Cove Booked!

My mother forwarded me email today that was a pleasant surprise.

She booked the luau on July 2nd for my husband & I as a WAY early "30th" birthday present!

She selected the Deluxe Luau for us, which is what I was going to pay for myself as Table Service sounds more relaxing to me, plus I want to be able to take nice photos!

upload_2016-2-24_12-36-12.png

We'll be seating somewhere in the maroon section next to the front stage!

upload_2016-2-24_12-38-12.png

newbie on board! I was reading a bit of your recent trip report last night :flower3:

I have yet to write a trip report, but I sure enjoy reading them :) When I was recovering from ankle surgeries last year, dis trip reports were my life saver! I wish I had found yours, they would have kept me busy for ages (I did read all of Frans- I enjoy hers very much and yours are similar!)

Good for you guys with all the running you do, I have done a couple of 5Ks, but nothing serious/bigger than that. I was just kinda getting into running when I hurt myself and 2 surgeries later, I'm walking again but not running yet. I was super jealous of my hubby who did the Castaway 5K last May, while I was still hobbling with cane and sometimes the good old airboot :mad:

Your plans so far sound great, maybe sometime we will get to Aulani :) We've been to the Big Island a couple of times, but I do want to visit Oahu.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter