Wave phone

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by ACJT, Mar 18, 2013.

1. jjje

jjje One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to d

It was 8.95. I just bought it two weeks ago on the Magic and they had a bunch of them. They had another style too, something red with characters on it. It was like a tri-fold wallet with a place inside where the room key fit perfectly.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. tinkerone

tinkerone DIS Veteran

perfect! thanks again. your information has been very helpful.

4. Disney Dreams

Disney Dreams Proudly afflicted with TDMA!

We absolutely LOVE the wave phones. We keep them in our pockets. They allowed me and DH to remain in communication while doing separate things and literally saved the day on my birthday! Without the wave phones, our plans for my birthday would have completely been lost, but because we had them on us, we were able to communicate with each other very quickly when a last minute change in plans and quick decision had to be made. I will forever love the wave phones if for nothing else, helping to make my birthday an amazing day when time was of the absolute essence!

- Dreams

5. susieyarb

susieyarb Mouseketeer

Yes, this is great info!! Thanks for sharing. We go on the Magic in 24 days!

6. calismic

calismic Mouseketeer

So completely random comment but I have always read that the wave phones do not ring only vibrate. However, I just departed the Dream on Sunday and ours definitely rang every single time we received a call from another stateroom. I was startled the first time it happened because I was NOT expecting it to!

7. ktnryansmom

ktnryansmom Mouseketeer

Be prepared for the kids in Edge to be forced to leave the club to go play basketball and dodgeball--where our wave phone was lost. Had my kids been allowed to stay in the club like they wanted it wouldn't have been knocked out of a pocket and lost.

Luckily it was turned in...but still. My son was so upset

8. MickeyWatcher

MickeyWatcher Mouseketeer

I know that you can find holders for the wave phone on Etsy.

9. tictoc

tictoc Mouseketeer

I just returned mine this morning. I was charged $3.50 per day but no deposit.

My 11 year old and my 17 year old had no problem keeping up with them jsut in their pockets.

We also never had a problem hearing them or texting on them. I thought it was one of the best things they offered. After being on a cruise with no way to contact the family, I found this terrific!

10. dznystar

dznystar DIS Veteran

thanks for all of the pics! I'll have to see if I can make a pouch for it. my sundresses don't typically have pockets.:tinker:

11. n8nally

n8nally DIS Veteran

So many questions! First, nevermind the phone so much, but your son was FORCED to leave the club???? This sounds so wrong to me! My daughter would be furious! Why do they do this? Has this happened to anyone else????

Secondly, how much is the deposit for the extra wave phone? Will they charge it to my room? Or will they want a credit card? Is it a hold or an actual charge they do?

Lastly, I keep reading about all the warnings that if you lose or break the phone they'll charge you $250 in such an ominous tone. Similar to the "get a passport or horrible things will happen to you" posts. Now, while I realize some people MUST have experienced a lost or broken phone and a charge for it (as well as an emergency issue in a foreign country with no passport), I am interested in actual experiences.

So, have you ever been charged for a lost or broken phone? What were the circumstances? I can see losing it or water damage, but surely, these phones are bound to break or malfunction with so many people using them. If I go to my room, pick up my phone after using it for a few days and all of a sudden something is wrong with it, when I haven't dropped it or gotten it wet, etc I would certainly NOT expect to be blamed for it and charged by a company that normally has pretty decent customer service in general.

12. Silverfox97

Silverfox97 PLATINUM Castaway Club

We watched a tween/teen go swimming with his wave phone at Castaway Cay for the better part of the day right when they first were brought into use. It was in his pocket. His mom was PISSED and screaming. The phone did not work any longer... I don't know for sure, but I'd be shocked if they didn't get charged.....

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

13. ktnryansmom

ktnryansmom Mouseketeer

Yes they were forced.

Twice when I went to get them I had to go on a search to find them in other parts of the ship. I was furious.

On the last night I told my kids when they were being dropped off for the ghost adventures (advertised as being in edge) that they had to stay...and then they took everyone to vibe for ghost adventures so my kids sat alone.!

Why advertise your event somewhere and then move it?

14. tinkerbell 766

tinkerbell 766 <font color=purple>If I can't fly, let me sing. Or

I don't understand
    Kids at the Edge have the right to come and go as they please, right?
    If they did not want to participate in whatever was going on, why did they not just leave or contact you to tell you what was happening so you knew what the situation was? My understanding of 'Edge' is that it is not so much a child care facility as a youth club kind of set up.
    With all due respect, I think it is unreasonable for you to expect councillors to sit with your kids because they have refused to take part in whatever activity is planned for that particular portion of the day, whether it is actually in 'Edge' or not. I am finding it hard to understand why you seem so opposed to their taking part in the activities which take place in other parts of the ship.

15. ktnryansmom

ktnryansmom Mouseketeer

Because as their parent I want to know where they are for the hour they are away from me. Sure the kids can come and go, but my kids and I agreed they wanted me to get them so they didn't get lost.

And just because they're taking a group to go play dodgeball doesn't mean everyone wants to play...and to force a kid to do it is wrong.

It is not unreasonable for them to do the events as scheduled otherwise why have a schedule???

16. tinkerbell 766

I appreciate your concerns, but I still don't understand why your children could not just have contacted you and told you (for example) that the planned 'ghost activity' was now taking place in the Vibe instead. Surely, this would have been preferable to sitting in the 'Edge' on their own. It would also have prevented you from being anxious and upset. I am sorry, but I really don't see why you were furious.
    Likewise, if they did not wish to play dodgeball/basketball and it was not on the schedule, why did they not just say 'we don't really want to play today, and we thought we were doing something else. We will just have Mum come and get us'. That way, surely the councillors could not force them to do anything as they could just politely dip out.

17. ktnryansmom

ktnryansmom Mouseketeer

There was no way to contact us at dinner. Our wave phone was knocked out of sons pocket at said dodgeball game day 1 and lost (eventually found the last morning) so there was no way to contact me...
    They did tell the counselors they didn't want to go play and were told they HAD to.

18. tinkerbell 766

Well, I agree that no child should be forced to do anything. If my son (13) does not wish to participate in any activity, I will tell him to call our wave phone via the phones in the club or the corridors, let us know he is leaving the Edge, and we will either tell him where we are or arrange to meet him somewhere. As I said earlier in the thread, I trust him to do this, but not to take care of a wave phone. Besides, I want him to have fun and not have to constantly worry about said phone, or the bill we would incur if it were lost.
    I agree that it is hard to communicate during dinner, but dinner will be the one thing we insist he does with us. we do not plan on eating at Remy or Palo and are used to sitting and eating together as a family, so this shouldn't be an issue for us.
    Thank you for your insight into this.

19. ktnryansmom

ktnryansmom Mouseketeer

Well we had late dinner and one night there was an edge activity happening and I let them attend after they ate. All was fine until they moved the scheduled activity to jive with older kids.

Just know if you have late dinner teen activities conflict a lot more than early dinner