water temps?

Whisker

Mouseketeer
Well I finally registered so I could post to this forum that I have enjoyed reading for a year now. lol

My husband brought up the question of if the water temps would be too cool for beach swimming during our cruise.... Sept 23, specifically concerned about Castaway Cay, but also Grand Caymen and Cozumel.

Thanks in advance... and also thanks for the wealth of info this board provides.... even to the "lurkers". lol

The water will be almost like bath water! Probably in the mid to upper 80s.

We are going in September as well, and are looking forward to the warm ocean water.

In September of 2005, water temps in most of the Carribean where in the high 80's to a couple of instances of 92/93 degrees.

This is why hurricanes form in these waters, they act as heat exchangers for the ocean.

You will have perfect water. We did a September cruise (right before Floyd ripped through cc) and the water was great. I'm a wimp water person. We're going in July and I'm sure it'll be fine, but you can really enjoy the water without your lips turning purple.

I hate cold water. We live in FL & have a (unheated) pool in the backyard & I never get in (unless the spa heater has been left on by mistake & we have an expensive warm water pool). I like 86 degrees and above for water & I can get in CC in Sept/Oct. I didn't go in on a trip in January though. Hope itis nice in June when we go in about 4 weeks

CGC33A said:
I hate cold water. We live in FL & have a (unheated) pool in the backyard & I never get in (unless the spa heater has been left on by mistake & we have an expensive warm water pool). I like 86 degrees and above for water & I can get in CC in Sept/Oct. I didn't go in on a trip in January though. Hope itis nice in June when we go in about 4 weeks

OK, that makes me a Super Wuss! I like it 90 at least! :sunny: We have a solar blanket, but it's main purpose is to keep chlorine from burning up too fast and keep the water from evaporating inches per day. I worked outside this morning for a couple of hours, and when I took the girls into the pool for the first time this year, I was pleasantly surprised by the warmth.

I'll see if the weather reports the Gulf temps in the morning and get back to you on this, although I've heard rumors about a site that gives updated info on that. It's been hot and dry here, so my guess would be the Gulf is already warming, too. Here's hoping June will be good for your swimming, bad for our hurricanes! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

I am what I commonly and very proudly refer to as a weather whimp. I am with you cindi0511 90 degrees is just lovely!!!!! We are going in July so the water temp are sure to be just what I ordered up :teeth:

90 degrees is VERY nice (guess I just tolerate the 86 degrees). On my very first cruise to the Bahamas, we all went snorkeling as our excursion. It was November, so little cool. I was the only one on the boat (for the excursion) who rented a wetsuit (had to go in b/c I was with my six year old DS who wanted to go in). Most everyone else (including some from England) wished they had the wetsuit. I don't want to risk the Dolphin encounters or Stingray Cities for fear the water will be too cold & I won't want to get in & the money will be wasted.

We were at Castaway Cay in January, and the water was plenty warm. We even cruised during the great Florida freeze in January of 1985, when it was 34 degrees in Miami, 24 hours later by ship we were in 80 degree weather, which seemed cool only because the water temp was 85. Remember, the ocean temperature never varies more than a few degrees in the Caribbean, it's the air temperature that changes.
As for September, may be too warm since you are at the peak of the humidity during hurricane season.

Around here pools are used to cool off, you try to keep them from getting above 75 or 80 degrees which is tough with weeks of 105 degree weather. 90 degrees is spa temperature, not pool.

tvguy said:
We were at Castaway Cay in January, and the water was plenty warm. We even cruised during the great Florida freeze in January of 1985, when it was 34 degrees in Miami, 24 hours later by ship we were in 80 degree weather, .
I went to a conference in Orlando when I lived in Maine. When I got on the plane in Portland it was -1 farenheit. When I got off the plane in Orlando a few hours later it was 85! That was a shock to the system. I didn't eat much that week at the conference. I think my metabolism was in overdrive and didn't need to work as hard to generate heat!

If we can get in the water in December at CC then your DH should be able to enjoy it in September. :) Of course, in December it is rather chilly...kind of stand in it for a minute & you will be numb enough to finish walking in. ;) Actually, I never did get farther than my foot last cruise. The kids didn't mind it at all though. :)

Music to my ears. I'm going in Sept as well and hopefully this time I can actually wet more than my feet. November was freezing cold for me.

lbgraves said:
If we can get in the water in December at CC then your DH should be able to enjoy it in September. :) Of course, in December it is rather chilly...kind of stand in it for a minute & you will be numb enough to finish walking in. ;) Actually, I never did get farther than my foot last cruise. The kids didn't mind it at all though. :)

OK, Lisa, I'm starting to shivver just thinking about water temps in December! :rotfl2: Glad we changed our minds from Christmas special to Southern Carib special!! Brrrrrrrrrr!!!

Maybe it is because I live in the cool Northeast and have spent many a summer at the Delaware, Maine and Jersey shore's, but one thing I enjoy is the warm water of Florida. I look forward to each chance to swim in it when the chance presents itself. It is so great to not have the shock factor when going into the ocean!

I don't think I could spend thousands of dollars for a cruise and not be able to just run into the 85-90 degree water and just enjoy! In my opinion, taking the risk for a hurricane is worth it to enjoy that ocean temp, and the price is great as well!

Cindi0511 said:
OK, that makes me a Super Wuss! I like it 90 at least! :sunny: We have a solar blanket, :wizard: :wizard:

You need those around here just to get the temps to the high 70s in July and August. Forget the ocean up here then. It might reach 70 degrees in a really hot summer. We loved the ocean temps on our cruise in January and even swam at CC.

Oh no, we cruise in november and all i hear is that in dec and jan the water is chilly. I' m from jersey so i'm used to chilly but not cold ,does anyone know what the temps are in nov.. any info apprec.

All I can say is that Nov was way cold for me. I am really bad at estimating temperatures so I couldn't say. On our group only the men and the kids got in the water. All the girls watched and got their feet wet and ran back.

DH says it was cold for him too but after 2 minutes it felt good. He stayed in the water all day.

I love reading about everyone's experiences. Thank you for the information... my husband is less concerned now!

:wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter