water shoes

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by tnkrbell, Mar 3, 2013.

1. tnkrbell

tnkrbell DIS Veteran

how is the bottom at Castaway cay?? Will I need water shoes to go in the ocean or is it nice sand bottom like beaches in Florida???

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. lorimay

lorimay DIS Veteran

The water is beautiful, so clear.
    You won't need shoes here.:goodvibes

4. tnkrbell

tnkrbell DIS Veteran

GOOD!!!! :goodvibes

5. Snurk71

Snurk71 DIS Veteran

I wore shoes, but I'm kind of wimpy about ocean floors.

6. iluvDisneyCruise

iluvDisneyCruise If you can dream it, You can do it. ~Walt Disne

Me and my friend did not wear shoes. We stepped on a few unknown objects in serenity bay. Prob just seaweed since there was loads of it that day. It made for lots of laughs. :) Totally prefer no shoes.

7. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

We all had tender toes. I'd brought water shoes, and was glad to have them. DH and DS ended up going to Buy the Seashore and bought $20 Disney watershoes and were MUCH happier after that. The sand under the water isn't beautiful sugary sand, it's rockier than I expected. I mean, nothing like a beach in the Pac NW, but not the powder I was expecting.

8. linetbo

linetbo DIS Veteran

I found the water shoes at walmart for just $5.99 and bougt it, you never know, so...

9. mcrcleveland

mcrcleveland Earning My Ears

I didnt need shoes when we went but my husband and father both needed them. Thankfully we bought my husband a cheap pair before we left for the cruise but my father ended up only going into the water once because he didnt have any watershoes.

10. PrettyPrincessJen

PrettyPrincessJen AKA "MomBomb"

We are doing the whole day snorkel on St. Thomas. Should we bring water shoes?

11. Disneyholic

Disneyholic Official Disneyholic! CM Wannabe! I'll Never Grow

Our first cruise I didn't have water shoes and there was a lot of exposed coral in the water at Serenity Bay. This is the only time it was that bad, but I do wear water shoes now because of that time. My feet were very sore and made for a miserable time walking for a bit. I'd rather have the shoes than sore feet again.

12. Donna M

Donna M DIS Veteran

I bought a pair for this trip since Serenity Bay was a little hard on my feet.

13. lpizzuro123

lpizzuro123 DIS Veteran

We love the water shoes at Lands End. The almost look like sneakers. I generally do not wear water shoes but I use these for just walking around also. If they get wet or you get caught in the rain, the don't get damaged and dry really fast.

Linda

14. dbarker

dbarker DIS Veteran

The "sand" at CC is not the powdery white sand found in the Panhandle of FL. The islands in the Bahama, including CC, are part of a reef system. Therefore the "sand" is more like crushed up seashells. I found them to be rough on my tender feet. I will definitely wear water shoes.

15. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

A much better idea. I was glad to have my Lands End water sandals. (bought for almost nothing from a Budget Board post a few years ago)

DH kept saying "it will be fine", and refused to buy any in advance, and DS wouldn't tell me what style he wanted. :rolleyes1

Helpful hint...when you're off of the Cay, wash them thoroughly and set them out to dry! We did not, and :eek::sick: Then we remembered that they were in a plastic bag once back at WDW (with a stay at Universal in between) and rinsed them. And forgot to set them out to dry. :sick::sick::headache: I finally had to put them in the washer and dryer to help them. Whew.

16. Feisty Fairy

Feisty Fairy DIS Veteran

Are water shoes allowed on the Aqua Duck?

17. iluvDisneyCruise

iluvDisneyCruise If you can dream it, You can do it. ~Walt Disne

I believe well secured shoes (not flip flops) are allowed. @ least they let people when we were there. They sometimes change the policy based on any problems they may have had.

18. CrawfordMomof2

CrawfordMomof2 Mouseketeer

Thanks for asking that! I never would have thought to ask that. :)

19. engle

engle DIS Veteran

I did not wear water shoes on my first trip...never even considered needing them...stepped on a sea urchin on serenity bay! Now I never go in the water without them. I didn't wear them snorkeling and the bottom was much better on the family beach but at serenity....always. And I wear the lands end ones...love me.

20. mmouse37

mmouse37 DCL Diva!!

We have been to CC about 20 times and I never needed or desired water shoes. We always parked ourselves by the beginning of the family beach.

Well, last week we parked ourselves at the very end of the family beach by the bike rentals and went into the water. Well...hubby and I were hopping around like crazy as there was tons of coral pieces on the bottom. Och! We sure wish we had them this time. I think the amount of coral encountered varies due to sea conditions/storms, etc. as well.

I think I will pick up some of those Land Ends water sneakers for our next trip.

MJ

21. lpizzuro123

lpizzuro123 DIS Veteran

Here is the link to the Lands End Mary Janes. They would be great for a cruise - you could wear them all over the ship, to the pool, to CC, especially if you are going to be doing some walking and bike riding, and also wear them in the water. They are on the expensive side, but I got mine a few years ago at the end of the season for 9.99. Maybe you could find an older style on ebay or depending on when your cruise is at the end of the summer.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/womens-mary-jane-water-shoes~248842_253.html

They also have one that looks more like a sneaker.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/StylePag..._MERCH=REC-_-FPPP-_-GGT-_-1-_-427945-_-427944

Linda