watching nfl football

jdfmommy

Earning My Ears
I'm hoping to go WDW in the fall to take advantage of free dining. But we'll probably be there for the NFL season opener, which my DH will NOT want to miss as we are die-hard Ravens fans.

If this trip happens we'll most likely be staying at Pop Century or POFQ.

Most obvious place to watch the game would be ESPN Club on the BW, but exactly HOW early would we need to be there to get a table? And, how to get there and back? We'll most likely have a car, but DS and I would certainly head back to the hotel well before the game ended, probably leaving car for DH.

If we're at POFQ, it'd be really easy to take the boat to/from DTD, but I don't know where would be a good choice to eat/watch. What about the resort lounge? I imagine the regular Thursday night entertainment would still be scheduled, but are there tvs in all the lounges or just some?

If we're at Pop, I don't think there's a lounge, so, not sure what close options are there.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
-Jenniifer

I am also curious...we are going in September for the first time and would prefer not to miss a Browns game...

Every time I've ever been to the ESPN club during football season it hasn't been packed. I got there at least an hour before the game started. The only thing I can tell you about getting back to the Pop is to take the walk to either HS or Epcot and then catch the bus. If you can catch the bus to DTD and then transfer, that could work also.

I'm hoping to go WDW in the fall to take advantage of free dining. But we'll probably be there for the NFL season opener, which my DH will NOT want to miss as we are die-hard Ravens fans.

If this trip happens we'll most likely be staying at Pop Century or POFQ.

Most obvious place to watch the game would be ESPN Club on the BW, but exactly HOW early would we need to be there to get a table? And, how to get there and back? We'll most likely have a car, but DS and I would certainly head back to the hotel well before the game ended, probably leaving car for DH.

If we're at POFQ, it'd be really easy to take the boat to/from DTD, but I don't know where would be a good choice to eat/watch. What about the resort lounge? I imagine the regular Thursday night entertainment would still be scheduled, but are there tvs in all the lounges or just some?

If we're at Pop, I don't think there's a lounge, so, not sure what close options are there.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
-Jenniifer

Since it's a Thursday night game, I would say maybe an hour before kickoff which is at 8:30. That would give you time to be seated, order, eat and then enjoy some of the game.

As for getting back to the resort, I would suggest you and your son take the car back. Let your husband take a cab to your resort. It's very easy from the Boardwalk and, I don't know this for sure, but if he's had a few, it would be good to let someone else do the driving. If he doesn't drink, the game will be over close to midnight so it would be good to have someone else drive at night. Just go out to the front bell stand and ask for a cab. They are stacked up nightly there.

I haven't tried to watch a football game at ESPN Club but watched a soccer match there this past March. For a Thursday night game you can probably watch at the resort lounge since it will be a national broadcast but I'd go to the ESPN club or DTD. From either of the resorts you can take a cab to Boardwalk. As far as when to be there I'd say two hours before kick-off. The food at ESPN club is only so-so but you can eat and hang out. And some folks can sit at the table while others walk around the Boardwalk.

If going to DTD Raglan Road might work. Best option at DTD might be Splitsville.

Since it's a Thursday night game, I would say maybe an hour before kickoff which is at 8:30. That would give you time to be seated, order, eat and then enjoy some of the game.

An hour before wouldn't be bad at all! Definitely doable.

Let your husband take a cab to your resort. It's very easy from the Boardwalk and, I don't know this for sure, but if he's had a few, it would be good to let someone else do the driving. If he doesn't drink, the game will be over close to midnight so it would be good to have someone else drive at night.

LOL. He actually doesn't drink much. My original thought was that driving would be easier for him - not the best sense of direction - than trying to navigate some sort of bus-hopping, but a cab would be easier still.

If going to DTD Raglan Road might work. Best option at DTD might be Splitsville.

don't actually know much about either of those. Is Splitsville an actual restaurant with bowling attached?

Thanks!

Since the Ravens lost half their players from last year, it might be best to go to one of the parks that night and skip the game?

The more obvious is your room, unless you normally go out to see the game.

Although this does not solve your leaving early problem and needing transport, Miller's Ale House is an excellent place to watch sports. About a mile or two from DTD so you would need a car or cab. We go there on every trip to watch something and the food is decent bar fare at very low prices. They have a dessert that is particularly good but I cannot remember the name.

:goodvibes Hi from a fellow Ravens fan from Md!

While I am a big Ravens fan I am a bigger WDW fan. My DH is kinda backwards so the Ravens won out last time we visited WDW. In 2007 we went and stayed at ASMO and he actually stayed in the room and watched them play while DS and I went to Fantasmic. I'm still not that thrilled about that decision but I let (his) life continue. ;)

I can't remember if they were playing a local team or if they had nationwide coverage that night but it may be an idea to check out. That is if your dh does want to deal with the bar crowds and travel to and from and just wants tot focus on the game.

Go Ravens!!!:cheer2:

Another good choice as the game is on NBC. However, since it doesn't start until 8:30, it won't be over until after midnight. Not sure how the rest of the family would feel if the husband had the TV on until then.

Another good choice as the game is on NBC. However, since it doesn't start until 8:30, it won't be over until after midnight. Not sure how the rest of the family would feel if the husband had the TV on until then.

:confused3 Won't they still be in the parks having fun versus watching a silly football game. :goodvibes.

This is coming from a football widower, yes widower. Darn just realized I have to see what the Steelers are doing the week before Xmas. :goodvibes

Since the Ravens lost half their players from last year, it might be best to go to one of the parks that night and skip the game?

You know, there's truth to that ;) not to mention that the Broncos will have revenge on their minds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle

Yeah, that's the issue with the room; once DS is asleep, DH won't be able to cheer ... or complain. And while he doesn't typically go out to watch games, he usually enjoys it when he does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8
Won't they still be in the parks having fun versus watching a silly football game. .

Oh, that would definitely be my plan if it wasn't a night game. But I don't think my 2yo will still be up at midnight, lol! At least, I hope not!

I'd rather watch it in my room. You can't hear if you watch it in a restaurant. I am in Orlando at least two Saturdays during football season and I always watch the Ohio State games in my room. But then again, I take it pretty seriously and don't want to be around other people if it's not going well.

DH has to catch at least some of his Giant's game while at WDW. If we are at MK, we take the boat over to GF, sit at the pool bar and relax. BW also has the games on by Luna pool. I can go shopping or relax, it's down time for us and he is a happy camper! Most of the pool bars, if they have a TV, will put on the games. You also have ESPN. We usually stay at BCV, and they have a really nice room with couches and a TV.

Thankfully I have nfl Sunday ticket. I bring my ipad to the park and watch the games on it. I usually get a crowd trying to look over my shoulder or ask for score updates. Lol

Thankfully I have nfl Sunday ticket. I bring my ipad to the park and watch the games on it. I usually get a crowd trying to look over my shoulder or ask for score updates. Lol

Not to hijack, but how do you get the Sunday ticket on an IPad??? I'd be all over that!

my DH will NOT want to miss as we are die-hard Ravens fans.

Sorry to hear that, I am a die-hard Ravens hater... Sorry, life time Browns fan here and I'll never get over the Modell move, that wound cut deep. :(

In all seriousness, since this is a regular season game and not a playoff game (hope the Ravens don't see one for years, LOL) the crowds will not be that bad to watch the game.

I'd recommend this anyway, even with all their prior players. :lmao:

P.S. For all you Raven fans, I do hope you do see the good natured humor and joking intended coming from a rival teams fan; it is being done only in fun. I am honestly jealous of Ozzy and how good he has done with your team over the years. With that said, if you were left cheering for the mess we call the Browns year in and year out you would understand... Come to think of it, a Raiders fan may understand how a Browns fan might feel. :rotfl2:

goofy4prez said:
With that said, if you were left cheering for the mess we call the Browns year in and year out you would understand... Come to think of it, a Raiders fan may understand how a Browns fan might feel. :rotfl2:

Also a fan of the factory of sadness....I keep saying "Maybe next year...."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter