Wastes of Space

Aladdin's Magic Carpets. It's fun to ride, but there are plenty of other spinners in the parks, and it's a major traffic-clogger in Adventureland.

Biggest waste of space? Easy. The last cave on Expedition Everest. It's like you rode a time machine and ended up at Studio 54 in 1977.

I don't understand why people have such a huge problem. Yes the yeti no longer works like it intended, does that make the ride any worse? no.

For me, this one's easy. Dinoland in AK! :(:confused3:crazy2::scared:

I remember my very first visit to AK, and stumbling on this area of the park and thinking "Why the heck did they decide to drop a carni in the middle of AK???" Soooo out of place, and doesn't fit with the AK theme at all!

Dan

I don't think the carnival area is that great (but I do like Primeval Whirl), especially since it's always pretty deserted but I like the dino idea (even though I loathe Dinosaur the ride).

I'd say:

Waste of Space, Should be Replaced:

Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse
Tomorrowland Speedway
Tom Sawyer Island
Stitch's Great Escape

Wonders of Life Pavilion
Odyssey Restaurant
Imagination Pavilion 2nd Floor
Captain EO

Backlot Tour
Sounds Dangerous theater

Hester and Chester's DinoRama area

Needs Updates

Carousel of Progress: Should be updated to 1920, 1950, 1980, and 2025 future rather than the current 1910, 1930, 1950, 2005 version.

Ellen's Energy Adventure: There are some changes in energy technology since 1990 that might be worth mentioning?

Adventures into Imagination: You can't completely get rid of a classic, but redo it to make it good again. My personal favorite idea is redoing it incorporating Figment and Meet the Robinsons, and bringing back a focus on invention and creativity.

Innoventions: The kiddy directed corporate demos are just kind of sad. I remember when Innoventions was fun, back when Sega sponsored a huge chunk of it.

Indiana Jones Stunt Show: Stunt shows are fun, but this is outdated.

I don't understand why people have such a huge problem. Yes the yeti no longer works like it intended, does that make the ride any worse? no.

The problem isn't that the Yeti doesn't work. The problem is that Disney tried to hide the fact the Yeti doesn't work by putting a strobe light in the cave so it "looks" like the Yeti moves - Mr. Roboto-style

The cover up is always worse than the crime. Disney should just make the cave bright again so we can see how awesome the Yeti looks. An immovable yeti in a lighted cave is better than "disco yeti" any day of the week.

But it's OK there's a flashing light on me
Sorry if you wanted more it's only Disney
It's only Disney
What more than a strobe would you expect at Disney?

Any empty building is obviously the biggest waste! But I have to put in another vote for speedway. I'm wondering if something will happen to it once cars land happens (hopefully!)

And I would be very sad to see carousel of progress go, but I'd love to see it updated.

Swiss family treehouse, it wasn't fun until we watched the movie, then we got the attraction a little more. But, I would venture to say the majority of visitors never have and never will see it these days.

Aladdin's Magic Carpets. It's fun to ride, but there are plenty of other spinners in the parks, and it's a major traffic-clogger in Adventureland.

I think this is the best answer so far. Aladdin's carpets is probably the only attraction whose removal would make the parks better. Empty space would be better than the carpets.

All other attractions aren't "in the way" like the carpets are.

Jasonkat said:
I think this is the best answer so far. Aladdin's carpets is probably the only attraction whose removal would make the parks better. Empty space would be better than the carpets.

All other attractions aren't "in the way" like the carpets are.

I don't know, my daughter gets a special joy out of maneuvering the carpet so the camel will hopefully spit in my face...

Edit for typo

My kids have never seen The Swiss Family Robinson (neither have I) and have not a clue who Tom Sawyer is, but they both loved the Treehouse and Tom Sawyer Island. A huge treehouse? An island with a fort with secret passages? Those were big time parties for my young kids.

I'll agree that Camp Minnie-Mickey itself is a waste of space. It's a lot of square footage dedicated to a meet & greet area.

On our first trip in 2011, we didn't even step foot in Tomorrowland--there was nothing we were interested in trying. On our second trip last year, we tried a few attractions (Space Mountain and Buzz) and I was suprised at how much just barren, open, nonshaded concrete there is in that area. I definitely think the whole land could use a refurb.

The Avatar expansion to AK.

...oh wait that isn't built yet?

Yes, let's build a whole section based on a movie with almost no plotline but amazing effects that people have already forgotten about. :confused3

Ok so the movie was alright but a whole AK section? No thanks. Let's build a section based on mythical creatures or animals from parts of the world that arn't in Africa or Asia.

DEFINITELY Journey into Imagination - unless they bring back the original, in which case it would return to being one of our faves.....

I'd love to see it get returned to it's former glory or like a previous poster said and include Meet the Robinsons, along with Figment, somehow. Reopening the top floor would be nice too. I'll never understand why they trashed the original concept and got rid of Dreamfinder.

The big combo ride for all the classic characters doesn't exactly work. How do you combine Peter Pan, Dumbo, Pooh, Snow White, and Mr. Toad?

I don't think that many of the above mentioned rides/attractions are big wastes of space. Except for Captain EO, Stitch, American Idol, and the Tomorrowland Speedway. I agree that those can go.

A lot of the rides should be updated, that much can be said. I'd like it if Disney did something similar to the Sorcerer's Workshop (I believe that's what it's called) at DCA, only they placed it in New Fantasyland (Where Tommorowland Speedway sits) or Innoventions. That'd be an excellent way to include a few of Disney's lesser known characters, and to include them in a sort of interactive experience.

The old 20,000 Leagues ride would be a great spot for something. :rolleyes1

20000l_zps95fa7c5b.jpg

The problem isn't that the Yeti doesn't work. The problem is that Disney tried to hide the fact the Yeti doesn't work by putting a strobe light in the cave so it "looks" like the Yeti moves - Mr. Roboto-style

The cover up is always worse than the crime. Disney should just make the cave bright again so we can see how awesome the Yeti looks. An immovable yeti in a lighted cave is better than "disco yeti" any day of the week.

But it's OK there's a flashing light on me
Sorry if you wanted more it's only Disney
It's only Disney
What more than a strobe would you expect at Disney?

And on top of that, they're still using footage of a working Yeti to promote the ride.

The big combo ride for all the classic characters doesn't exactly work. How do you combine Peter Pan, Dumbo, Pooh, Snow White, and Mr. Toad?

We won WWII and sent a man to the moon...I think Imagineers can solve this one. ::yes::

Just set up a ride track and move through different sets, with video/audio and the latest technology and effects. Disney is good at transitions through various lands, so why would this be a problem for such a ride? The vehicle could be neutral or reflect all the represented themes or characters.

Flyin2MCO said:
We won WWII and sent a man to the moon...I think Imagineers can solve this one. ::yes::

Just set up a ride track and move through different sets, with video/audio and the latest technology and effects. Disney is good at transitions through various lands, so why would this be a problem for such a ride? The vehicle could be neutral or reflect all the represented themes or characters.

I think a combo ride would be awful. My kids love the different rides and they especially love dumbo. Who doesn't like flying in an elephant?

The biggest wastes of space for me: carnival area of dinoland, capt eo, wonders of life, Swiss family trees house (I've never done this in all my visits) and a great majority of dhs. There is really a lot that could be done there that would actually make my family want to go there again. We rarely even go to dhs anymore.

I think the biggest waste of space are:

Backlot Tour
Great Movie Ride- seen it about 6 times- need something new
:bored:
The Odyssey & Wonders of Life (heard that due to lack of sponsorship, it was closed - no $)

Captain EO needs to go!

I think a combo ride would be awful. My kids love the different rides and they especially love dumbo. Who doesn't like flying in an elephant?

A combo would save so much down time waiting in line, freeing up Guests to do much more and spend more cash throughout the park. You could take the elephant flying to a whole new sensory dimension, and it would be awesome!! YMMV I suppose.

WDW needs to be less carney, more modern day theme park. They should pull on their power and depth of resources to blow us away in the parks.

Flyin2MCO said:
A combo would save so much down time waiting in line, freeing up Guests to do much more and spend more cash throughout the park. You could take the elephant flying to a whole new sensory dimension, and it would be awesome!! YMMV I suppose.

WDW needs to be less carney, more modern day theme park. They should pull on their power and depth of resources to blow us away in the parks.

Disney has produced many anthology books that contain multiple classics in one large book. They could certainly have a ride that that's premised on the rider entering into a storybook and going through various segments that immerse you into Mr toad's world for a scene in the book, then stopping in to see snow white for a scene, etc. I think it would be a great way to honor past rides and introduce some older Disney material.

To answer the original question. Putting personal preferences and prejudices aside, I think that the right way to answer the question. Is what are the most under utilized rides and which if those occupy the most space. To me the winner (or loser) is TS island. TLSpeedway certainly takes up lots of space and could use updating, but is still enjoyed by many guests, some on repeat rides. TSI doesn't have the same foot traffic. YMMV.

I agree that there are lots of areas that either need to be made more up-to-date (or just changed!!) like the Tomorrowland Speedway, Tom Sawyers Island, Swiss Family and Country Bears. They look especially dated with the new shinny Fantasyland. They are between where you exit Buzz and the Carousel of Progress needs to at least be made into an awesome Buzz meet and greet! I'm glad to see something happening in that area by Small World, Peter Pan/Haunted Mansion. It looks like a Rapunzel tower and bathrooms??I heard. Works for me!

Don't get me started on Epcot! It is my second fav park, but think of all there could be if all the aforementioned areas were remade!! EO, Energy, Figment, Horizons, Odyssey area, etc..... I read somewhere that there was enough room around the lagoon to add something like 5 more pavilions!! Bring it on!! I also think that Innoventions could be better used.

I used to love the studio backlot tour when you used to see the homes on the street and then see the behind was just a front! Not anymore. Good get rid of that stunt show and tour and bring us Radiator racers and Luigis Flying tires!!
The American Idol building where the Drew Carey thing was as well can be reused although I used to love love the Twilight Zone/Hitchcock thing!! I was talking to a CM off duty on a monorail one day and he said that there was an announcement going to be made soon and he heard that they were going to do something else Star Wars in that location! That would be AWESOME!! Turns out the announcement was Avatar land..... we know whats going on with that...

Which brings me to Animal Kingdom. With the exception of Everest, everything there can be changed!! I barely go there. A waste of my time of vacation. I have better/more animals at my home zoo and better rides at the three other parks!

Sadly all these changes will hike ticket prices!!:sad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter