Washing Clothes BIG Problem.

Discussion in 'The Creative Community' started by Disney Ontario, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Disney Ontario

Disney Ontario Ontario Disney

Jan 14, 2005
    I have heard if you soak and wash a shrunk peice of clothing in hair conditioner, it will stretch back to normal. I have done DD's boyfriend sweatshirt before, but now. :eek: There is blotches of conditioner all over his shirt.

HELP :confused3 :confused3 :confused3

I need to know how to get hair conditioner out of clothing?
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. dbarker

dbarker DIS Veteran

Dec 2, 2004

Did washing it in conditioner really work? I have never heard of that.

Also, don't dry the shirt in the dryer (it will shrink again). Hang it to dry.
  4. kaylajr

kaylajr <font color=red>Ultimate WPASADI Co-Winner<br><fon Moderator

Jan 5, 2003
    If the conditioner worked my DH would be thrilled
    I shrunk his Fave shirt

let us know if it worked
  5. Imzadi

Imzadi ♥ Saved by an angel in a trench coat!

Oct 29, 2004
    I think I read it only works for wool clothing as the conditioner helps the hairy fibers relax & slide apart.
  6. FantasticDisFamily

FantasticDisFamily <font color=navy>Sent <font color=red>on a <font c

Jul 26, 2002
    Conditioner, dryer sheets, and similar products do what they do because there is some form of petroleum in them. The reason some fabrics "splotch" is because they have polyester in the fiber content. Poly is a fabulous fiber for textile manufacturers to work with because they can spin it to resemble silk on one extreme and on the other they can "shred" it to resemble wool. It is the later format that is found in sweatshirts, "flannel" shirts, etc. They have the barbs much like natural wool that mats together. This is why the conditioner will release the shrinking. The splotches come from the new petroleum products interacting.

To avoid those splotches as much as possible don't toss a dryer sheet in with permanent press. And if you have a lot of sweatshirts with high poly content wash them separately from similar items and again skip the dryer sheet.