Warning about Locking Pin Backs....

MinnesotaChill

Mouseketeer
We just returned from 10 nights at various resorts at the parks. Our kids like to trade pins, and several years ago a CM recommended we get the locking backs for the pins so they didn't fall off of the lanyards. The locking backs are gold and look a bit like a bullet casing, and they require a special tool to get them off and on. Well, we've never had a lot of luck finding the backs, usually the stores are out of them. At the beginning of this trip we couldn't find them anywhere, which meant that the kids didn't want to wear their lanyards because the small rubber Mickey backs just don't hold well enough to be trusted. By the middle of the trip all the stores had them in stock again, but after buying a few bags (to keep on hand), we realized that they were defective. The little black tightening mechanism didn't tighten completely. A CM at the Pin Trader store at DTD sat with my husband and went through bag after bag of these things and couldn't find an entire package that worked. Occasionally they would find one or two in a bag that tightened enough, but none that fully tightened. That store pulled every bag they had off the "shelves." When we went to other stores and found the locking backs, we'd ask to try a few and see if they worked. The CMs looked at us like we were crazy, but they'd let us try. We never did find any that worked, but no other stores took them off the sales floor.

Apparently, it is quite common for them to be defective. One CM told us that the last batch they got in had a different problem, I think the little tool didn't fit in the hole or something.

Just a warning for those of you looking for these. It is heartbreaking to buy or trade for a cool pin and then find out the back failed and the pin is gone.

FWIW, I got some great (no tool!) locking PIN backs off eBay-they're similar to tie-tack backs. :)

where did you find them? What were they called? They sound perfect for our kids. I can't tell you how many times they had to wait until we located the tool to trade!

Search for evilbay seller "Disneypatriot". He sells the absolute best locking pin backs available. When my kids get a keeper, I replace the rubber back with one of his and it is on there to stay.

Thanks so much for the tip! I've ordered some. Just being able to get them somewhere besides Disney makes life so much easier!

I was WDW with family in February and bought a package of the locking pin backs, with no included instructions. I have tried no fewer than 10 times to figure out how to get them to lock on, then I found this posting. They should REALLY pull them ALL of the shelves. Total waste of money...and I still don't have something to keep the pins from falling off - which happens way too often - whether with the disney rubber backs or the traditional metal backs.

A lot cheaper / easier way to go is to go to Micheals or Jo Ann's before you leave and pick up a few packages of metal pin backs. They lock in place and we never lost one.

All 3 of our kids trade and when we put a set of pins on in the morning we put metal backs on all of them. When we trade we just tell them we want to keep our back.

3 kids (ages 5,6,70 wore pins all last week (8 nights) and we never lost one.

We have gone the other route - black MICKEY backs and lost a ton.

I totally concur with the OP!
We also purchased a package of locking pin backs last Sept that were defective. Luckily we were able to exchange them right away for another bag that worked fine.

I really like the idea of not having to use that tool though.
Do the pin backs from Michaels require a tool?
In what section of the store can they be found?

TIA:flower3:

I totally concur with the OP!
We also purchased a package of locking pin backs last Sept that were defective. Luckily we were able to exchange them right away for another bag that worked fine.

I really like the idea of not having to use that tool though.
Do the pin backs from Michaels require a tool?
In what section of the store can they be found?

TIA:flower3:

The ones at Michaels do not require a tool and are found in the jewlrey section. They come in gold or silver. They are the type of backs that you would attach to a mans tie tack.

Good Luck

We just caught the pin fever last year, and I can't tell you how many pins we lost over the course of just a few days. The locking pins sold at Disney did not work too well for us, either. We're going back in January, and you can be sure we'll visit Michael's before leaving... Thanks for the tip!!!

Thanks for the tip. DH started getting caught up in the pin fever on his first trip last year...so now that we are planning our next trip I want to get him the locking backs for the pins so he can wear and trade them.

We got the pin fever during our trip this year, and the mickey backs definitely leave something to be desired. We tried the locking backs, but (even though ours worked), they were a pain to deal with because you had to locate the tool and get them off while people werre waiting on you.
We ended up buying the small (purse size) pin trading bag for the kids to share. If the backs fell off inside, no harm, the pins were still safe. I would have loved some of the metal pin backs from Michaels or Joanns though. DD wanted to show off her pins and you can't do that when they are zipped inside another bag.

Apparently, it is quite common for them to be defective. One CM told us that the last batch they got in had a different problem, I think the little tool didn't fit in the hole or something.

Thanks for confirming we are not crazy! On recent Disneyland trip, my friend could NOT remove any of her locking back pins from a trip two years ago. The new and old locking backs were ALL puchased at shops in the park, and visually looked identical, but clearly were not. My friend could not trade any of these pins because it was impossible to remove them from her lanyard with a new wrench, and she did not have the wrench from two years ago with her (and who would think she would have needed it?).

We went to many shops in the park, including pin trader shops, and no park employee ever mentioned that this was a known issue. They all tried to help and get the pins off with the newer wrenches, but to no avail. The wrenches just did not fit in the hole. It was very disappointing to not be able to access these pins, and we could not figure out what the problem was.

Since this is a KNOWN issue, I would have thought Disney shop employees would have:
1) Known of the issue
2) Had access to the older style tool to be able to assist park guests in removing the pins with older backs

Disney must have access to the older style wrench, since they sold them as recently as two years ago.

On the plus side, all the new bags of locking pin backs we bought at the park DID function properly (this was in May 2010). However, I agree with other posters that it can be a big hassle to find the tool and remove them while standing there ready to trade. SO, before our November DL trip, I will be buying some of the buttterfly style pin backs, which sound like a perfect compromise.... easy to get on and off, but they keep your pins very secure.

Thanks for all the great info and tips!

we had this happen in october! i bought from the website before heading down, not knowing they'd sell pin trading kits. we had two deffective ones and took them to dtd as asmovies was out- shock! lol and the cm took a new bag and replaced our two and kept the others. thankfully we didn't have any issues with the rest.

a great cm named shirley at the gift store in movies said to me you can also buy them at the harley davidson stores. now idon't shop there and can't confirm, but she knew her stuff!

what we do is buy a set and trade those and leave the old backs on. then once the kids have either bought new ones or traded for one they like that gets the locking back. doesn't matter, an hr later mom ends up with them in her purse.

I could be wrong, it's been a while since we used the old locking pins, but doesn't it just use a standard "allen wrench"? You'll need the right size, of course, but you can find them in any hardware store, or probably walmart, target, etc.

We've also had the locking pin backs actually break off the backside of the pins.

They also make the pins extra heavy to wear around on your lanyard...JMO

DH ordered those "tack style" backs for our last trip and they worked great!:goodvibes

If you want a super cheap and extra light solution to keeping pins from falling off.....

Pencil erasers!

Pop one or cut one off the top of a pencil - stick it in and it will not budge. :thumbsup2

I am a nurse and use them all the time to keep my lapel pins in place. You can just put the "real" pin backs in your pocket for when it comes time to trade.

And...for those who may say that is a waste of a pencil...the pencil topper erasers (the pointy kind) are less than $1.00 for a pack of 10 at Walmart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter