Want to pick a Value resort- bad reviews

I have stayed at All Star Resorts and I have stayed at Moderate resorts. All Star resorts are not bad, I would stay there again if needed. I just prefer moderate because it's a little more quiet than the value category. I think it helps that the moderate resorts are more spread out than the values. There have been times walking through Caribbean Beach when it feels like we're the only people there.

There are places on the paths at Caribbean where you are literally several kilometers away from the next human at any given time :wave:

The only value we've stayed at was All Star Music and we had a great stay there, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. We're booked at the Yacht Club for August and I am seriously considering switching to AoA just to give it a try.

We have stayed at PO Riverside, All Star Movies and Pop.

We always go back to Pop.

It depends on what kind of trip you are taking.

I personally do not stay at the hotel. Usually have a quick breakfast there and stay in the parks so late that we do not do dinner at the hotel.

The Pop is perfect for us. When traveling with little kids, I think the themes at the Value resorts are fun.

To me, despite what everyone says here, I find the hotel to be clean and feel I get good Disney service as always.

Buses are fine too. Less wait at Pop than when we stayed at a moderate.

We're doing a split stay in the spring and I really want to try a value- I was leaning towards Music but some of the reviews on various travel sites are awful. Then I looked at Movies, Sports, Pop- so many bad reviews for the values! The pictures and videos I've seen of the values looked pretty nice to me, so I'm confused. Even the Dis podcast people had lots of negatives- I still want to try one, just don't know what to pick! Any opinions/advice?
We are staying at Pop for the first time for a quick weekend trip next month. As long as it's clean, safe, and has decent CMs, it's all good. Won't be spending much time in the room anyway. I've stayed all levels, from TPV CL at Poly to AllStar Movies and each resort had its own charm.

DH and I have it in our bucket list to stay at every Disney resort at WDW so we have try about half by now. I would say I wouldn't stay at a value unless I had to. If we had to pick it would be AoA although our trip to music in October was pretty good but I think that was because we got a family suite.

Remember that reviews are the opinion of the reviewer - and everyone's opinion is based on expectation.

Most of the bad reviews I've seen of the value resorts are from folks expecting them to be MORE. The Disney website clearly describes the amenities in the room and resort and clearly levels their resorts into three categories. Yes - towels are going to be thinner and beds not as nice at a "value" hotel. Duh. There's no coffeemaker. Yuck. BUT - the nice thing about the Disney values - what you get is usually delivered in excellent, clean condition. They are consistently clean and in very good/excellent condition.

I've personally never had trouble with the thin walls - because I've never been next to noisy guests. Yes, I believe that happens - but it can happen at a deluxe resort, too. Couple of my worst hotel nights ever were at high-end hotels with noisy neighbors. My only real problem at a Disney hotel was at a moderate - HVAC unit wasn't working properly.

Yes - you can get more features and a higher quality experience at a resort off-site for the same amount of money. Lots of folks diss the value resorts (well, all Disney resorts, really) based on that fact. Some of those off-site folks aren't calculating in the cost of parking, gas, and drive time. Or they don't place any value on the on-site experience. Some have family group sizes and needs that really aren't going to be met by Disney options. So those that like to complain about Disney prices vs off-site hotels - I disregard those - it's like choosing between an apple and a banana - sure its a fruit - but there are lots of other differences.

Me - I'm headed on my seventh stay at a value resort later this month. I really prefer higher-end, more business class hotels and rarely stay at places as basic as the Disney values for my other travels. But hey - it's because I opt to not spend too much on the room all the time that I can afford to be headed on my 13th trip to Disney since 2010.
Exactly!!
I spent close to 6 weeks at Disney last year...4 using values (mostly POP, once at Movies) and 2 stays at POFQ! If I had done deluxe, I probably would have only gone a little ove a week for the same price. I'll take my 6 weeks This Way ANY DAY!!! :)

Looking at some of the online reviews for Values, I think the negativity comes in no small part from expectations.

Examples:
  • "Then, Good Grief, the only food service is in the low class food court with out of this world prices for low end foods." Yep. Values get food courts, and you're a captive audience.
  • "The room has a small fridge and 2 double beds and thats it. No coffee or tea. Room had hairdryer and iron. Fast food downstairs." Yep. Research would have told you this.
  • "This is definitely a budget motel. Very few amenities. No coffee maker in the room. Only a cafeteria style food court. No sit down restaurant with waitress service. No room service." Again, this is all public information, and disappointment is a factor of failure to research.
  • "Entrance to rooms are motel style (ie. from outside), no hallways."
  • "'I booked a Little Mermaid room for 5 people and it is too small."
There's also one where someone gives a resort 1 star because she didn't know her kid gets motion sickness on buses and the transport to parks is all bus service and there's no alternative but taxis.
I don't understand if you don't rent a car...
What other form of transportation were they expecting??? The "complimentary" resort buses and then taxis which guests would pay for OOP.
What else did they expect??
Unless they didn't research to see that they weren't staying at a monorail resort or something.... but you'd still have to use buses for some destinations. Sounds like this person just didn't do any research.

I think expectations are a huge factor for some of the reviews. We have stayed in the value resorts on 6 trips, and they were fine for what we needed at the time. If you go in understanding that the rooms are small, and there isn't a slide at the pool, a sit-down restaurant at the resort, double beds, and no hot tub, you should be fine. Personally, the main reason we are staying at a moderate this trip (and the last one) is because our kids are bigger and we spend less time at the parks and more time at the pool; they like the water slides. We have never had a bad meal at the food court at ASMovies, Music, or Pop (haven't stayed at Sports or AoA). We have never had bus issues that can't happen at any other resort; on our trips (usually Memorial Day week or early June, once at Thanksgiving), at the All Stars, we had dedicated buses early in the morning and at night, and shared during the middle of the day. Yes, the buses get crowded, but that happens at any resort.

Is it possible to get a room that has worn furnishings or hasn't been cleaned correctly? Absolutely. It hasn't happened to us, but I'm sure it happens. If you aren't happy with the condition of the room, walk back down to the front desk and ask to change rooms (don't use the front desk button on the phone, it goes to a call center).

Our family likes the value resorts. We've stayed at all levels of resorts (Pop, AOA, Sports, POR, CBR, YC) and each have things I like and dislike. We tend to always come back to Pop though. It meets the needs of our family, it's always been clean, we enjoy the food court (that was something we really missed staying at the Yacht Club). One of my favorite things about Pop is being able to walk over to AOA to use their food court as well. The moderates are really nice too, however it can be hard to justify the cost difference (we go for two weeks and have two rooms, so it's another $2800 to upgrade).

Don't be afraid of bad reviews, as others have said, what is bad to one person is fine to someone else. If you want to try a value, do it! If you are unsure, try a split stay and only do a few days at the value. Then you'll know if you like it and would want to spend an entire trip there the next time. Out of the values I've stayed at Pop is my favorite.

I LOVE POP. Would stay there again over GF. We are Staying at ASMu next week, and I chose it because it seems more compact and the theme may not entice as many families with young kids (we are doing an adult trip this time), and I got it for ridiculously cheap. But, if I were able to reasonably upgrade to CS, I would. I've stayed in 3 of 4 mods, haven't been to POFQ, but not a fan of POR or CB. I would choose POP over either of those two mods.

I LOVE POP. Would stay there again over GF. We are Staying at ASMu next week, and I chose it because it seems more compact and the theme may not entice as many families with young kids (we are doing an adult trip this time), and I got it for ridiculously cheap. But, if I were able to reasonably upgrade to CS, I would. I've stayed in 3 of 4 mods, haven't been to POFQ, but not a fan of POR or CB. I would choose POP over either of those two mods.
We are at POP on Sat. I don't care for POR but I LOVE POFQ!!!! FQ seems to attract more couples and less families. My sister refers to it as the old people's resort! LOL. It is a great choice for adult only trips!!
DH was disappointed that we couldn't get POFQ this time but I told him we had to go where the CM discount was available. So I was happy to get POP as a second choice because sometimes it's not even available!!!

Looking at some of the online reviews for Values, I think the negativity comes in no small part from expectations.

Examples:
  • "Then, Good Grief, the only food service is in the low class food court with out of this world prices for low end foods." Yep. Values get food courts, and you're a captive audience.
  • "The room has a small fridge and 2 double beds and thats it. No coffee or tea. Room had hairdryer and iron. Fast food downstairs." Yep. Research would have told you this.
  • "This is definitely a budget motel. Very few amenities. No coffee maker in the room. Only a cafeteria style food court. No sit down restaurant with waitress service. No room service." Again, this is all public information, and disappointment is a factor of failure to research.
  • "Entrance to rooms are motel style (ie. from outside), no hallways."
  • "'I booked a Little Mermaid room for 5 people and it is too small."
There's also one where someone gives a resort 1 star because she didn't know her kid gets motion sickness on buses and the transport to parks is all bus service and there's no alternative but taxis.

It never ceases to amaze me how little research people do before a trip.

If you had asked this question before our last visit I would have said that POP was your winner hands down. However I am now inclined to tell you to take one of the All stars with sports being the last option.

Why Sports the last option?

I have had several wonderful stays at AS Resorts. For someone who spends all their time in the parks they are a great place to stay.

We stayed Pop for our first family trip and LOVED it! Our 6-year-old thought it was the coolest, not sure the 1 1/2-year-old was too impressed;) Since then we've done moderate to have larger beds for the 4 of us. My husband is 6'3" & is no small fella...the double beds were no bueno for him. If/when budget needs to be tightened up, I'd go back to Pop in a heartbeat. We kinda miss its theming at the moderates.

We're doing a split stay in the spring and I really want to try a value- I was leaning towards Music but some of the reviews on various travel sites are awful. Then I looked at Movies, Sports, Pop- so many bad reviews for the values! The pictures and videos I've seen of the values looked pretty nice to me, so I'm confused. Even the Dis podcast people had lots of negatives- I still want to try one, just don't know what to pick! Any opinions/advice?

I think some of the bad reviews come from people who don't understand what they are getting in a value resort. Many people complain about the 'exterior' entrances at the value and moderate resorts because those are no longer the standard for American hotels and people have a negative association to the 'motel' level of accommodations.

Many people complain about room size. Disney rooms are smaller than standard hotel rooms. By far. If you want more space, you're going to have to pay a higher price for it.

Many complain they are too noisy. Too overrun with kids. Hmm....it's Disney. There are going to be kids. It's going to be noisy, likely it will be crowded.

If you're prepared to accept these things, the Value resorts will not disappoint you. We have stayed at Pop, Music and Sports. Pop is our favorite, the tops of the list when we plan a trip. It's the nostalgia, the decor, the music, the people. Everything. However, the others were fine and we would stay there again.

I encourage you to disregard the negative reviews and choose a theme that appeals to you. Let Disney do what they do best. Let them bring you in to the theme to experience it with all of your senses. Let them shut out the 'real' world for a few days. Let them take you back to a simpler time. I promise if you do these things you will find magic. It's there.

Best of luck with your choice!

Since we became FL residents. All Star Sports has been our value resort of choice. I can usually always get a great rate on short notice there. I was nervous also about staying in a value resort but none of the bad things I read were true. The rooms have been clean and everything works. I could not hear anyone else's toilet flush. It was not too loud. We usually stay in Home Run Inn but last time stayed in Surf's up, both were easy to get to transportation and food court. Good Luck with your choice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter