Want to know what you will feel like on Monday Jan 14?

cewait

DIS Veteran
I have been working with several runners on the side this year and thank you for your confidence. Many of my friends have suffered with runner’s knee or other malady so they will understand 0:11 of this video – walking down a slope or stairs.

For my our first time marathoners, this is your Monday, January 14, 2013…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-hCuYjvw2I

Now a smart post race stretch and forcing yourself to get out and enjoy a park will rid you of most of this. But still, think about running your first marathon and then hopping on a bus and sitting for 30 minutes or so….then getting up. First, the getting up is not all that easy but then you get to the front of the bus and your go down the stair mechanism seems broke. Welcome to your first post race experience. I have walked backwards down the stairs just to get out.

Enjoy

I have been working with several runners on the side this year and thank you for your confidence. Many of my friends have suffered with runner’s knee or other malady so they will understand 0:11 of this video – walking down a slope or stairs.

Sort of like going down to the Indiana Jones stage to pick up your bag after a 10 mile race?

Sort of like going down to the Indiana Jones stage to pick up your bag after a 10 mile race?

YEP! I was there for that one!

Thank you for sharing! I'm doing the Princess 1/2, but still enjoyed it and could totally relate!

Yeah, the going down mechanism seemed to take the most time to come back to normal. After I did my first half, I was in the Grand Floridian tea room and had to go down those two shallow steps. Now, I'm sure since it's Disney they have a ramp into the room too, but I didn't want to admit defeat. I'm sure I presented an interesting spectacle going down those steps.

ahoff said:

Hahaha! That was like the post-race tower of torture! Here's hoping they have a better strategy next year!

:rotfl2: SOOO TRUE! I was figting calf cramps, and when I hit those stairs both went off at the same time. :sad: Took me forever just to get to the bottom and let's not talk about going back up...

Disney is a such a great destination race because they practically force you to recovery walk in the days following the race if you are staying for a visit. I have always found the hardest part was the busses. getting on, getting off then standing up if you do decide to sit.

If it is warm enough, swimming is a GREAT exercise for recovery as well. Active recovery at low intensity is a great tool to get you feeling 100% as soon as possible.

It is possbile to feel little more than discomfort if one has a decent stretching routine and practices it, along with keeping the body in motion the afternoon after the race. I have jogged the Monday after Goofy a few times, smiling as I go by folks who were barely able to move. BUT, I have also been part of the walking dead a time or two.

I rarely have more than mild discomfort after a marathon, but that is due to several things:

First, I am not racing it. I run at a comfortable speed for the entire time, almost treating it as more of a long run with a medal at the end than a race. That has to help.

Second, once I get across the finish line, I don't stop walking or moving around around for at least 10-15 minutes. Every year, I run the Illinois marathon, where you finish on the 50-yard line of the stadium. And every year I watch people collapse on the turf (which admittedly feels very, very nice), and then try to get up 5-10 minutes later and attempt to climb the stairs in order to get out. By walking, while the stairs can be tough, they are not the painful slog that the people who rested have to face.

I won't lie - running for 2-3 days after a marathon is not fun. But I have done it. The more you can keep moving after the race, and the sooner you start the recovery process (refuel, rehydrate, etc), the less painful the aftermath seems to be.

The more you can keep moving after the race, and the sooner you start the recovery process (refuel, rehydrate, etc), the less painful the aftermath seems to be.

And this is exactly why joining us for Drinking Around the World on Monday is such a great idea. You'll be moving, refueling, and rehydrating all in the name of fun. :cool1:

And this is exactly why joining us for Drinking Around the World on Monday is such a great idea. You'll be moving, refueling, and rehydrating all in the name of fun. :cool1:

Unfortunately, we are leaving too early on Monday for me to join in the DATW celebrations. Others will have to carry that pint glass/torch for me. :thumbsup2

Yes! And then going back up the stairs again. What in the world could they have been thinking? :confused3

Thanks Coach for posting this. I remember you posting this last year as well. Gets a sympathetic nervous laugh from me every time. I can very much relate - and I only run halfs! I do remember your other advice too...get out and walk the parks...don't stay in the room afterwards. Great advice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter