Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Starting to think of an Oct. Food and Wine trip.

Does anyone know if the Gartner conference that is listed in October is the same one that is usually held in Dec?

Just wanting to make the best use of dh ff points and usually when they have that conference I cant get a room at the Swan for those dates but when I looked it up there was a room available for points so I am wondering???

Any info TIA.

Hello!
Can I ask where you find the list of conferences? There isn't any availability for some of the days I want in June of 2017, and I was just curious as to why.
Thanks!

I just googled it.

Here is a few for June 2017

11-14 American Bankers
26-30 Texas Instruments
26-30 Electronic Components and Tech

In the past when there are no rooms on line and I call reservations (not the hotel directly) they have told me that they are fully committed for a conference and they are not releasing the rooms etc. This is usually for the big conferences.

Sometimes when the rooms are not available online I am still able to get them with dh ff miles but that is not the case all the time.

Even when I know it will be crowded like that, the conference attendees are always busy at the conferences.

But I know the Gartner conference is huge, so I dont think I want to deal with that. Think cloned guys, yes there were a few women there, walking around in blue shirts and carrying black laptop bags everywhere. No I am not making fun of anyone, its just what you have to deal with sometimes, like salmon swimming upstream if you want to go in a path/direction they are on when not at the conference.

Dh and I also had to deal with this when they had a thyroid cancer conference the other year. Oh and I didnt even know it was there and I have thy cancer too. Like a giant stream of dr.s being released from the conference area at once, yikes!.

Well, I hope it works out for you and you get the dates you want. That is why I always have a B Plan time frame if I cant get the dates I want.

I just googled it.

Here is a few for June 2017

11-14 American Bankers
26-30 Texas Instruments
26-30 Electronic Components and Tech

In the past when there are no rooms on line and I call reservations (not the hotel directly) they have told me that they are fully committed for a conference and they are not releasing the rooms etc. This is usually for the big conferences.

Sometimes when the rooms are not available online I am still able to get them with dh ff miles but that is not the case all the time.

Even when I know it will be crowded like that, the conference attendees are always busy at the conferences.

But I know the Gartner conference is huge, so I dont think I want to deal with that. Think cloned guys, yes there were a few women there, walking around in blue shirts and carrying black laptop bags everywhere. No I am not making fun of anyone, its just what you have to deal with sometimes, like salmon swimming upstream if you want to go in a path/direction they are on when not at the conference.

Dh and I also had to deal with this when they had a thyroid cancer conference the other year. Oh and I didnt even know it was there and I have thy cancer too. Like a giant stream of dr.s being released from the conference area at once, yikes!.

Well, I hope it works out for you and you get the dates you want. That is why I always have a B Plan time frame if I cant get the dates I want.

Thanks! I was looking for 25th to 27th. I guess I can't get it because of the two conferences. Maybe something will open up closer to check in?
The weird thing is that 25-27 are not available, and 29-30 are not available, but the 28th is. Wonder why.

Updated the OP with new, increased parking rates. Now $20 per day, $28 for valet, both plus tax.

http://swandolphin.com/feedback/transportation.html

5. Is there a fee for parking at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin?
Yes. The daily fees for parking are listed below and subject to change.

Self Parking Fees Valet Parking Fees
Non-Registered Guest*
$20.00 for each exit $28.00 for each exit
Registered Guest ** $20.00 + tax per day $28.00 + tax per day

Last edited:

Actually, it is a 12 digit number that always starts with 4 for the Disney system. So if you get anything less than 12 digits and starting with a 4, just ask again until you get the correct confirmation number to use in the Disney system. This will allow you to reserve your FP+s on time.

Your FP+s are linked to your ticket media so the room is not really an issue unless you are getting them at the Dolphin when you arrive.

It may take 24-48 hours before the Dolphin system is linked to the Disney reservation system so give them time to get it linked before you call.

Dave

Dave:

Perhaps it depends on where you made your reservations. I have a 9 digit code for 3 upcoming stays and never had an issue with linking that reservation. Maybe if you book on the Disney site they use a different reservation number?

I actually have an annual pass, so will that affect my fp+ days?
No having an AP will not impact your ability to schedule your FP+s at the 60 day mark if your room reservation is correctly linked in the MDE application. Just make sure your reservation is linked in MDE before your 60 window opens.

Note: Normally an AP is limited to only holding 7 days of FP+s but if you are an onsite guest, you will be able to book for a "length of stay" should it extend past 7 days.

Dave

Dave:

Perhaps it depends on where you made your reservations. I have a 9 digit code for 3 upcoming stays and never had an issue with linking that reservation. Maybe if you book on the Disney site they use a different reservation number?
Yes, it does depend on where you make your reservation but any "on-site" reservation will be also tied to a Disney CRO reservation number. That number is always 12 digits and starts with a 4.

I am glad it works for you using your 9 digit number. It would be interesting to know more about where your reservation originated and what resort you are staying at for your future reservations.

Also, should you or any other reading that may have any trouble with your 9 digit number or any other confirmation number for an "on-site" resort reservation, you can always call Disney CRO and get the 12 digit reservation confirmation number.

Note: Please wait 24-48 hours to allow for the reservation to be available in the Disney system if you booked via a non-Disney source.

Dave

I linked my reservation to MDE using the 9 digit confirmation number too. I book through the Starwood website and it's for the swan.

How far out do S/D experts recommend booking to get the best rates? We're planning a trip from 1/27-1/31 (2017), and I was quoted a best possible non-refundable nurse rate if we pay in full in advance of $285/night before the resort fee at the Dolphin ($323 for Swan). I tried to search for conventions that weekend but couldn't find anything online one way or another. Do they historically run promotions closer to date of travel, or is this likely the best I'm going to get there? Thanks! I was hoping to get a chance to try them for this trip, but that's a little more than I was hoping to spend. Thanks!

How far out do S/D experts recommend booking to get the best rates? We're planning a trip from 1/27-1/31 (2017), and I was quoted a best possible non-refundable nurse rate if we pay in full in advance of $285/night before the resort fee at the Dolphin ($323 for Swan). I tried to search for conventions that weekend but couldn't find anything online one way or another. Do they historically run promotions closer to date of travel, or is this likely the best I'm going to get there? Thanks! I was hoping to get a chance to try them for this trip, but that's a little more than I was hoping to spend. Thanks!
That seems high to me too. I would check the recipe club rate and AAA (even if you don't have AAA if the rate is good enough you could always get a membership). See if there's an SPG 50 rate (even if you don't have 1000 starpoints you can buy them for $35 if the rate is good). Once you have exhausted all of your options and looked at any possible rate you might qualify for you could always hold a flexible rate and keep checking and if the rate drops you can always modify. If you lock yourself into a prepaid rate even if the flexible rate drops you're stuck with your rate. I'm not sure what you and your spouse do for a living but there are sometimes government rates, teacher rates, nurses rates, police firefighter or first responder rates. If you work for a big company and can prove it your company might have a corporate rate. You just never know until you ask. Call spg at a time when you have plenty of free time and have someone help you compare all of your options.

How far out do S/D experts recommend booking to get the best rates? We're planning a trip from 1/27-1/31 (2017), and I was quoted a best possible non-refundable nurse rate if we pay in full in advance of $285/night before the resort fee at the Dolphin ($323 for Swan)...
You are going to be there during the Pro Bowl 2017 which is 1/29/17. This may be impacting your ability to get a bigger discount during this 2 wk period.

Normally the last week of Jan is good but the Pro Bowl is expected to have an impact in 2017. There are events that are scheduled at ESPN WWS.

Link with more details: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ctivities-coming-to-walt-disney-world-resort/

Dave

I linked my reservation to MDE using the 9 digit confirmation number too. I book through the Starwood website and it's for the swan.
Thanks for confirming your booking method.

While the 9 digit SPG confirmation codes should work, it is always a good idea to get the Disney confirmation number well before the 60 FP+, if you are having any issue linking your SPG reservation in MDE. The Disney confirmation will always work (assuming that MDE is working) and Disney IT can help you directly with any issues.

Dave

Those rates are very high, but S&D have been pushing up rates quite a bit during popular times. Dare I say, the new normal...

You are going to be there during the Pro Bowl 2017 which is 1/29/17. This may be impacting your ability to get a bigger discount during this 2 wk period.

Normally the last week of Jan is good but the Pro Bowl is expected to have an impact in 2017. There are events that are scheduled at ESPN WWS.

Link with more details: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ctivities-coming-to-walt-disney-world-resort/

Dave

Oh no! I had no idea they'd moved that from HI. Yeah, we might be changing our dates again, we try to intentionally visit during the slowest times of the year. Especially if it will drive up plane fares and all that too - will people actually go to the Pro Bowl if it's on the mainland now? I just switched my vacation time to that weekend, since it's supposed to be slow!

Our reservation was a SW pkg so I called Disney and they were able to contact the Dolphin and hook the reservation to MDE so we could schedule FP. Should I call the Dolphin with my STG # or wait until check-in?

Our reservation was a SW pkg so I called Disney and they were able to contact the Dolphin and hook the reservation to MDE so we could schedule FP. Should I call the Dolphin with my STG # or wait until check-in?
It makes no difference if you add your SPG number to your reservation in advance or at the time of check in unless you are Platinum. When you are Platinum they might assign a suite to you prior to your arrival.

If any of these were available what would you do?

Dh has approx 4100 Starpoints which could be used to -

1. Convert them to American Airlines Miles which is having a 20% bonus. These would go toward points with booking a room from AA

2. Use the 50% off rack rate for 1,000 Starpoints

3. See if the Pay for one night and get the 2nd night for 40% off is available

If anyone has converted the starpoints to AA points how long did that take as we are looking at October dates for Food and Wine.

If any of these were available what would you do?

Dh has approx 4100 Starpoints which could be used to -

1. Convert them to American Airlines Miles which is having a 20% bonus. These would go toward points with booking a room from AA

2. Use the 50% off rack rate for 1,000 Starpoints

3. See if the Pay for one night and get the 2nd night for 40% off is available

If anyone has converted the starpoints to AA points how long did that take as we are looking at October dates for Food and Wine.

You only get a bonus when you convert 20,000 Starpoints to AA miles - then you get a bonus of an additional 5,000 miles.

4100 Starpoints isn't enough to do much of anything, so yeah, you could use them for the 50% off rack rate, if that's the best you can find at this point.

The transfer should be immediate if you do need the extra airline miles. Are you looking at a free flight? Do you need that to bump you up to have enough miles? October is quite soon.

If it were me, I'd sit on the Starpoints until I had enough to actually use for free nights.

You only get a bonus when you convert 20,000 Starpoints to AA miles - then you get a bonus of an additional 5,000 miles.

4100 Starpoints isn't enough to do much of anything, so yeah, you could use them for the 50% off rack rate, if that's the best you can find at this point.

The transfer should be immediate if you do need the extra airline miles. Are you looking at a free flight? Do you need that to bump you up to have enough miles? October is quite soon.

If it were me, I'd sit on the Starpoints until I had enough to actually use for free nights.
There is actually a special 20% transfer bonus from Aug 1 - Sept 14 for SPG to AA transfers. It combines with the regular 5,000 bonus on a 20,000 point transfer.

I would hold on to the Starpoints and check all possible discounts I may qualify for, including seeing what comes up under "promotions and packages" on the spg site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter