Walt Disney World Detail (with Aerial Images) *Updated page 20, post #297*

All I can say is WOW!!!!! This is a GREAT thread!!!! I am learning something everyday about my Happy Place! I was really surprised about the Haunted Mansion. I thought the ride was inside the Mansion!!!:rolleyes1 When I first looked at the picture I was truly lost. Then the light dawned, and I realized what I was seeing. That is really Disney Magic!!!
Thanks so much for this!!!!!:cool1:

That's funny... I never realized it either until looking at the satellite images. Some of the show buildings are HUGE! Disney Imagineering does an awesome job of hiding the show buildings...

Thanks for all the feedback everybody, I'll post another tomorrow...

See ya!

I often wondered if we were down in the underground cast member tunnels on that ride. I never would have guessed it was a large warehouse type building. Thanks for the info. This is neat!

All I can say is WOW!!!!! This is a GREAT thread!!!! I am learning something everyday about my Happy Place! I was really surprised about the Haunted Mansion. I thought the ride was inside the Mansion!!!:rolleyes1 When I first looked at the picture I was truly lost. Then the light dawned, and I realized what I was seeing. That is really Disney Magic!!!
Thanks so much for this!!!!!:cool1:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that the HM was inside only inside the Mansion. Now that I think about it, there are a lot of things going on inside there! :rolleyes1

Great thread! I can't wait until tomorrow either! :hourglass

didn't realize just how big the show building really was for both HM and IASW - they're huge!!

°O°Joe;18222235 said:
-Ghosts aren’t the only ones hiding in The Haunted Mansion. There are several “Hidden Mickeys” to be found as well. The ballroom scene features one of the most famous -- a plate and a pair of saucers on the dining table form Mickey’s familiar silhouette.

We did the KTTK tour last October, trip report, and they said that the plates in the dining scene are not the official hidden Mickey and are actually placed that way by CMs. If you could pick up each plate, there is a picture of what the place setting is supposed to look like and whoever it is that checks that occasionally will return it to its correct position. So if the plates do make a "hidden Mickey" it's because someone has moved them since they were "fixed."

The official hidden Mickey is further back in the ride in the reaper's hand, that is according to the KTTK CM.

What a great thread. Like others have said, I had no idea the show buildings were as large as they are. The folks at Disney continue to amaze me at how well they can hide things under our very nose.

We did the KTTK tour last October, trip report, and they said that the plates in the dining scene are not the official hidden Mickey and are actually placed that way by CMs. If you could pick up each plate, there is a picture of what the place setting is supposed to look like and whoever it is that checks that occasionally will return it to its correct position. So if the plates do make a "hidden Mickey" it's because someone has moved them since they were "fixed."

The official hidden Mickey is further back in the ride in the reaper's hand, that is according to the KTTK CM.

Thanks for the additional info... I added it to the end of the Haunted Mansion post.

I can verify this is true... I rode the ride one day on my Oct '06 trip and the plates were formed in a Hidden Mickey. The very next day I rode again and told my brother-in-law what to look for and sure enough, they were gone. I looked like a liar...

Cool thread, just wanted to add that those images aren't taken by satellite. They are oblique aerial photographs, notice how they are not directly top-down.

Cool thread! Can't wait to read more.

BTW, I thought the Haunted mansion all took place inside of the mansion as well :upsidedow

I sure am glad that I am not the only person who thought that the ride took place in the mansion itself! But it isn't really something dumb to assume, I mean...the mansion looks pretty freakin' huge on the outside!

Cool thread, just wanted to add that those images aren't taken by satellite. They are oblique aerial photographs, notice how they are not directly top-down.

I'm not saying you're wrong by any means, because I honestly don't know... but here's what the website (maps.live.com) that I get the images from says:

Microsoft said:
Bird's eye view is a low angle, high resolution satellite view of a map area. Bird's eye view is available for many major metropolitan areas.

Now I don't know if they're saying it's an image taken from a satellite OR if they're using satellite as a general term for - from the sky...?

**EDIT** I did some searching and here's what Wikipedia says about it:

Wikipedia said:
Bird's-eye Maps

One of the unique and distinguished features in Windows Live Maps is the bird's-eye maps (currently available in all major cities as well as their suburbs), where users can see any place (from four angles) as if they are flying on a plane (better experience than satellite images especially when exploring a city). These Pictometry images are very high-quality and you can see signs on tops of buildings, advertisements and other things very clearly. Christmas decorations could be seen in a December 2003 bird's-eye photo. Also, signs on or near buildings can sometimes be read depending on resolution and size (i.e. McDonald's sign, Mobil Gas sign, even store logos such as Wal-Mart signs).

Pictometry International is a Rochester, New York-based company that provides detailed aerial photography. Its images are taken at a 40 degree angle using a patented process. Its Electronic Field Study software allows a variety of measurements to be taken directly from the image, including height, distance and area as well as elevation and bearing. Its images can be overlayed with shapefiles and GIS information can be exported from the images as well.

The oblique photographs shows buildings, infrastructure, land from all sides. Pictometry also shoots directly overhead. In general, this results in much more detail than using satellite photography, because there are multiple perspectives, with overlap resulting in as many as 12 to 30 images of the same location.

The company's most numerous customers are state and local governments, which use images of cities, counties and entire states for such things as planning and development, emergency response (police, fire and 911) and property assessment. It also has applications in insurance, real estate, AVM, civil engineering, and utilities.

Imagery may be licensed by Pictometry directly.

So I guess you're right (good call!)... but I'm going to leave it as Satellite in the thread title and if anyone else asks I'll just say I'm talking about "from the sky" when I say "satellite"... :goodvibes

What a great thread. I'm enjoying these photographs. Add me to the list of people who thought the HM ride was contained in the mansion. Who knew there was a huge building behind it!! I can't wait to see the next photo.

Thanks!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter