Walt Disney Co buys Lucasfilm

No waaaaayyy.....and only 4 billion....first reaction is that it seems like it would be worth more...totally a great buy if true!

Wow!!! This is a big deal. Is it just a coincidence that this happened just a few days before Universal's big announcment, lol? This may be Disney's real "answer" for Harry Potter, lol. I think it's awesome and so unexpected!!! :goodvibes

I just posted the same in the CM forum.

I too don't know how to feel about this. In some ways the partnership between TWDC and Lucas has been a great one, but both have strongly contributed to diluting the brand.

Selfishly speaking as an employee of the company, it does create an interesting transfer opportunity if I ever want to relocate to the Marin/San Francisco area.

I am shocked! Does this mean that Hollywood Studios is about to be renamed Skywalker Ranch?

Super into this deal as both a Disney fan, and a HUGE Star Wars fan. Now let the Star Wars 5th Gate rumormill commence!

So excited. I wonder if this will eventually lead to a 5th park. Between Marvel and Star Wars there is a lot of content to build a theme park around.

This is AWESOME. I am a HUGE Star Wars and Disney fanatic. It almost feels like Christmas.......when is the new Star Wars land going to be announced? This opens up so many opportunities for Disney. We own at DVC and Im getting the itch to add on again all the sudden.

wow, just wow, what a GREAT bit of news and I am not even that big of a star wars Fan. Man they really really need to make a Star Wars Land now. its the only thing I could imagine that could tackle Harry Potter thing at Universal.

So happy to hear this.

So now I got to wonder, will Hollywood studios be getting cars land or Star Wars Land ? Personally, I hope both.

Wow...the whole shebang...

ILM, the patents, the merchandise cut...everything.

I would assume that george lucas would automatically walk onto the board of directors..a la steve jobs...or have some kind of "creative consultant" role that allows him to steer movies/themeparks/digital content in his preferred direction without the stress and with the mouse's gigantic piggybank...

still stunned...

the marvel was bold...this is beyond aggressive. obviously their intent is to control all IP worth a dime.

...and so it goes.

Granted...the last ten years of lucasfilm has absolutely sucked....from top to bottom. But the cash grab, terrible story lines, and obviously stress on one george lucas can be put to rest.

Just WOW

Maybe Animal Kingdom will be Wookie land instead of Avatar land.

probably my third thought...

if reported difficulties with direction and budget are in fact a sticking point with james cameron...then he's just been served.

one of the problems i would assume disney has with avatar is that they are not willing to dump the construction costs into what has never been proven to be a "longterm" cash cow.
Well, the last decade of star wars couldn't have been worse...but it still rakes.

And even the skeptic that is I cannot dispute how impressive joining uncle walts name with papa george has to be...if not for just the worldwide recognition, PR potential, and raw merchandise muscle alone...

now they should buy target and get it over with...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter