Wall+E DVD packaging - cardboard??!!

Rhonna

DIS Veteran
Hi,

I haven't posted on this particular forum before, usually just the theme park boards but I have a weird question about a DVD I just got.

I'm a member of the disney movie club and have purchased a number of DVD's from them and before that, from local stores. I just received three DVD's from them and the Wall E DVD was in cardboard packaging. NO plastic at all! It was clearly designed that way, it had scenes and writing on it and you pulled on one side and the "sleeve" slides open - the DVD was inside but still in cardboard. No plastic little round "button" for the DVD to snap onto. It is obviously not going to hold up like plastic will.

I have received some DVD's that are in the regular plastic container and then OUTSIDE they place a designed cardboard sleeve over the plastic. That is not what happened in this case. Every bit of this is cardboard.

I have never seen a disney movie packaged completely in cardboard. Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone else have a Wall E DVD that is in the normal plastic container? I am wondering if this is a weird fluke or new thing or if they did ALL the Wall E DVD's like this?

I called and asked the disney movie club and the lady was as surprised as me. She put me on hold to talk to her supervisor and they still didn't know what to say. She didn't think that sounded right at all. She said they would ship me another DVD but I said can't we ask someone who should know about the packaging since I don't want the next one to come in the same cardboard. She said she would pass a message along but I got an e-mail that they are sending me another movie right away. If it comes in the regular plastic, great. But what if it doesn't?

So, does anyone else have any experience with this or did I get some unusual item that I can sell later for a lot of money (like a two headed coin?) LOL!

I just thought it was so strange. And of course I would like it in a solid plastic case like all the other movies come in.

Anyone have this happen?

I just googled and found my own answer. Apparently they did this as a sort of environmentally friendly "green" packaging as it is all 100% recyclable because of the theme of the movie. But only a certain amount of them were to be produced this way. I am all for recycling but this packaging is not going to hold up...and I don't have kids. Plus, they did the Blu-Ray in regular plastic so what's the point? Seems more like a gimmick than a real effort to be "green".

And apparently because of the lousy packaging a LOT of people are reporting that their discs are already scratched when they get them. So they make an "environmentally friendly" package that ruins the disc, thereby causing multitudes to return discs that will get thrown into a landfill. So much for helping the environment.

As Pooh would say: "Oh bother".

Our Wall-E DVD which we purchased one or two Chrismases ago is packaged that way. Personally, I hate it.

I'm not happy either. It's just not going to hold up very long. I wonder if anyone has gotten one in the regular hard plastic case or if they did them all in cardboard? I purchased just the single DVD but I understand the 3 disc set is cardboard also, unless you buy Blu-Ray.

Hi,

I haven't posted on this particular forum before, usually just the theme park boards but I have a weird question about a DVD I just got.

I'm a member of the disney movie club and have purchased a number of DVD's from them and before that, from local stores. I just received three DVD's from them and the Wall E DVD was in cardboard packaging. NO plastic at all! It was clearly designed that way, it had scenes and writing on it and you pulled on one side and the "sleeve" slides open - the DVD was inside but still in cardboard. No plastic little round "button" for the DVD to snap onto. It is obviously not going to hold up like plastic will.

I have received some DVD's that are in the regular plastic container and then OUTSIDE they place a designed cardboard sleeve over the plastic. That is not what happened in this case. Every bit of this is cardboard.

I have never seen a disney movie packaged completely in cardboard. Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone else have a Wall E DVD that is in the normal plastic container? I am wondering if this is a weird fluke or new thing or if they did ALL the Wall E DVD's like this?

I called and asked the disney movie club and the lady was as surprised as me. She put me on hold to talk to her supervisor and they still didn't know what to say. She didn't think that sounded right at all. She said they would ship me another DVD but I said can't we ask someone who should know about the packaging since I don't want the next one to come in the same cardboard. She said she would pass a message along but I got an e-mail that they are sending me another movie right away. If it comes in the regular plastic, great. But what if it doesn't?

So, does anyone else have any experience with this or did I get some unusual item that I can sell later for a lot of money (like a two headed coin?) LOL!

I just thought it was so strange. And of course I would like it in a solid plastic case like all the other movies come in.

Anyone have this happen?
Yes, mine is the same. All cardboard and not a blue amaray case in site!

Color me perplexed. I thought the "cardboard box" style "WALL-E" DVD packaging was common knowledge? IMO, I've seen lots of attempts at plastic alternative DVD packaging and this one is by far the best designed. And it it a darn sight better than the "clamshell" monstrosities of old.

It wasn't common knowledge to me. I didn't see it in the stores or any advertising that played up the "green" aspect of the packaging.

I bought it through the disney movie club and actually thought there was a mistake when it arrived. I called them and described the situation and the lady said "oh that doesn't sound right, I'm so sorry, don't know how that could have happened" and sent me another one, telling me it should be in the "proper, plastic disc holder". So apparently she wasn't aware of the packaging either.

Well, of course the second one was packaged the same way and after I did some research on the internet I realized it was all a marketing ploy to be "green". Problem was, so many complained that because it lacked the middle "button" that the disc usually snaps onto it is not secured so it did not hold the discs well, they came out of the "pocket" and slide around in the cardboard case and MANY discs were scratched (as was mine, I found out).

So people were asking is it really environmentally friendly that so many scratched discs were thrown out due to poor packaging? Thankfully my second one they sent me was not scratched but I am being very careful taking it in and out. I can't imagine it holding up in a household with heavy kid use.

And honestly, if they were that serious about being environmentally friendly they wouldn't have put the Blu-Ray version of Wall-e in a PLASTIC case but the regular DVD in a cardboard one. A bit hypocritical. (Or maybe they put out the Blu-Ray after they had enough feedback on how poorly the cardboard case was doing.)

The same thing is happening with music cds. More of them come in the paper/cardboard "digipak" than in the protective hard plastic jewel boxes they used to come in. OK, maybe it is green, but let's face it...it's also cheaper to manufacture and distribute. We won't have this issue in a few years as physical media for music and movies is disappearing with digital downloads being the future. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter