Walking & Kayak Nature Adventure

eva

Often uses her unique ability to close threads.
Any reviews on this excursion at CC? It appears to be right up our alley. From Birbaums book on DCL it states that this excursion begins at 9:00 am if cruising on the Wonder. So we thought it would be great to have an active morning followed by lunch and an afternoon of lounging on the beach.

Any reviews on this excursion at CC? It appears to be right up our alley. From Birbaums book on DCL it states that this excursion begins at 9:00 am if cruising on the Wonder. So we thought it would be great to have an active morning followed by lunch and an afternoon of lounging on the beach.

We are thinking about doing this excursion too. I have not been able to find much info on it though..... Anyone????

Shari

Here's the only info I've found so far...we're interested in this too.

Walking & Kayak Nature Adventure (2.5 - 3 hours)
Venture to the tranquil side of Castaway Cay. During a forty-minute walk to your kayak launch site your knowledgeable guide will make the Bahamas' geology and history come alive! When were the Islands of the Bahamas born? Where did the Bahamian people come from? Then you embark on a one-hour kayak excursion through the ecologically sensitive mangrove environment. Here you will learn about the importance of the mangrove ecosystem as a nursery for immature marine life and a habitat for birds. Your kayaks glide over shallow waters teeming with tropical fish, sponges and colorful coral formations. Enjoy a swim in the crystal clear waters off a secluded pure white sandy beach, where you will also explore the wonders of the seashore's tidal zones and their diverse vegetation. A twenty-minute hike brings you back to your tram stop This tour is a must for those that want to experience the natural beauty of Castaway Cay.
Adult Price: $60 (ages 10 and above) No one under age 10.

I did this tour in September 2008 and would thoroughly recommend it. Starts with a gentle walk down to the trams which take you out to Serenity Bay. Then a walk along the coast with some information about the local plant life including the two poisonous species of trees not to go near. I suppose the walk is about a mile and unhurried with a couple of stops to look at the sea.

The Kayaking is a bit more strenuous, there is a quick explanation of things to do and not to do, but you are never in more than 3 feet of water so drowning unlikely. However they do recommend that if you see something in the water you do not both lean over to look, I can confirm the accuracy of this warning.

they are two person Kayaks and unless your really used to Kayaking you need two people to push them along. At some point in the trip you will be against the wind and or tide. Having said that there were people on the tour who had clearly no experience and everybody coped. You can always get out and push. Starts with a kayak up the creek to look at the mangroves then back down again to the beach on the other side of the creek. After that its across fairly open water back to the starting point. We got lucky and got amongst some nurse sharks on the way back which was pretty exciting. I am told these sharks are harmless but didn't try any practical test of that theory. Saw plenty of fish, couldn't tell you what they were though but some were pretty big and a few rays. 1 Baracuda also. Bird life was pretty sparse as it seems to be throughout the island, best place to see the birds is the lunch barbeque if thats what you want to see although there was a frigate bird. Sadly DW saw that and not me.

After the Kayaks its the same walk again following the cycling trail back to Serenity Bay. The tour is not over strenuous but lunch goes down well at the end of it. I had enough energy left to jet ski in the afternoon but the afternoon beach idea is not a bad one either.

Hope that helps

I did this tour in September 2008 and would thoroughly recommend it. Starts with a gentle walk down to the trams which take you out to Serenity Bay. Then a walk along the coast with some information about the local plant life including the two poisonous species of trees not to go near. I suppose the walk is about a mile and unhurried with a couple of stops to look at the sea.

The Kayaking is a bit more strenuous, there is a quick explanation of things to do and not to do, but you are never in more than 3 feet of water so drowning unlikely. However they do recommend that if you see something in the water you do not both lean over to look, I can confirm the accuracy of this warning.

they are two person Kayaks and unless your really used to Kayaking you need two people to push them along. At some point in the trip you will be against the wind and or tide. Having said that there were people on the tour who had clearly no experience and everybody coped. You can always get out and push. Starts with a kayak up the creek to look at the mangroves then back down again to the beach on the other side of the creek. After that its across fairly open water back to the starting point. We got lucky and got amongst some nurse sharks on the way back which was pretty exciting. I am told these sharks are harmless but didn't try any practical test of that theory. Saw plenty of fish, couldn't tell you what they were though but some were pretty big and a few rays. 1 Baracuda also. Bird life was pretty sparse as it seems to be throughout the island, best place to see the birds is the lunch barbeque if thats what you want to see although there was a frigate bird. Sadly DW saw that and not me.

After the Kayaks its the same walk again following the cycling trail back to Serenity Bay. The tour is not over strenuous but lunch goes down well at the end of it. I had enough energy left to jet ski in the afternoon but the afternoon beach idea is not a bad one either.

Hope that helps

Thanks so much for the review. That sounds perfect. I will signing up for that soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter