Walkie Talkie on the the ship

Mom2MyGirls

Earning My Ears
Do they rent these on the ship? I can't find anything on it, but DH thinks they do.

If so, how big are there? How much does it cost?

Thy do not rent walkie talkies onthe ship. They do however provide pages for parents who have kids in the clubs. With out DD12 she had sign out privelages but they notified us when she was leaving and where she was going.

We did bring our own walkie talkies and found they very useful for communicating with each other.

cheers :goodvibes

Disney does not rent walkie talkies.We brought our on which can in handy on Castaway Cay. If you buy any make sure they have sub channels,if not you will find yourself talking to half the people on the ship LOL:goodvibes

Disney does not rent walkie talkies.We brought our on which can in handy on Castaway Cay. If you buy any make sure they have sub channels,if not you will find yourself talking to half the people on the ship LOL:goodvibes

Thanks for the tip! That might be annoying or also could turn out to be fun :)

We ended up using our old Nextel phones, with the walkie talkie parts. We weren't sure if they would work, since we don't have Nextel or Sprint service, but they did. We didn't need them much, but it was nice to know we had them in case. So if any of you have old Nextel's sitting around, you might want to charge them up and give them a try.

I bought walkie talkies for our first Disney Cruise several years ago. Coverage is spotty depending on what part of the ship you or the other radio units are located. There is also the problem of many people trying to use the same frequencies.

In short my recommendation is to save your money. We still have them and have not taken them on any cruise since the first.

Those radios really don't have subchannels. You pick a set of unique tones and the speaker on your radio only turns on when it "hears" those tones. So if there are others transmitting at the same time, you probably won't hear whoever is trying to reach you. We took a pair to Disneyland and every one of the 27 channels was clogged with transmissions of "mom...dad...billy, wendy""", so we gave up.
Other issue is,these work on line of sight, so on a ship, with all the metal, they would likely be useless. Castaway would work. I guess my point is, if you take the radios, don't count on them working.

Actually, they don't need line of sight, but metal would inhibit the signal. I would say they shouldn't be too bad on decks 9 or 10, and would only work maybe 2-3 decks up or down.

Using the voicemail on your room phone seems to work well with some people, and you can access it from any of the house phones (I believe).

Our walkie talkies brough at The Source, worked quite well on the ship. Our cabin was on Deck 6 at teh fronty and we could talk to our daughter if she was at teh back of Deck 9 on top.

I did spend a bit more on our to ensure they had good distance, 26 miles clear sight range and found they worked well on the ship.

cheers

I bought mine of all places at my grocery store for under $10.00. I plan on giving one to my dd 9 so she can have a bit of freedom! They are pretty small and have a bunch of different channels. They do allow them because I got the idea off the cruise line video.

Our walkie talkies brough at The Source, worked quite well on the ship. Our cabin was on Deck 6 at teh fronty and we could talk to our daughter if she was at teh back of Deck 9 on top.

I did spend a bit more on our to ensure they had good distance, 26 miles clear sight range and found they worked well on the ship.

cheers

That's good to know. What brand were they?

Forget FRS/GMRS radios. They're low power and are virtually useless when there are lots of people using them at the same time. Also, the GMRS channels require an FCC license.

I recommend the TriSquare eXRS radios. They run on 900MHz (not 462MHz like FRS), don't require a license, they utilize digital spread spectrum, and have true digital security with over 10 BILLION channels, so nobody can listen in unless they know your specific channel code. Also, the 900MHz frequency provides better wall penetration. I used a pair of these on the Wonder last year and they literally worked from bow to stern. No dead spots anywhere. At Castaway Cay, we found we could still talk on these from the ship all the way to Serenity Bay.

http://www.trisquare.us/tsx300.htm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter