Walk-In at Sci-Fi?

wcw57

DIS Veteran
We will be traveling in LATE August 2012 and would like to know what you think are the odds of making an on-site reservation for Sci-Fi Dine In? We are trying to keep our park days flexible and the timing is ALWAYS an issue...........

THANX!!!

There is always a chance, but in my opinion, it is slim and none.
You would be relying on a no show or cancellation. It is a popular, in park , restaurant.
If you know you want to eat there I would suggest you make an ADR

can't speak to your certain timeframe but last week (11/7/11) they were completely booked from opening to closing....+1 on ADR and order the red velvet cheesecake:thumbsup2

Same here! We were there on 11/6 and it was fully booked. The Red Velvet Cheesecake is worth going there for it alone!

Two years ago, my friend and his DS went to HS and DS was hungry...we thought Sci Fi would be fun so tried a walk up. We waited about 20 mins, but they fit us in.

It never hurts to try - I think the time you go will make or break the chance. Closer to Fantasmic would be a problem as people want to eat and then get to the show... if you tried an early dinner or late lunch time you might be better off.

We were there August 19-29 of this year, and ate at Sci-Fi our first day.

DHS was our evening "Hop To" park for Characterpalooza and a show - we tried to get ADRs to go back to Sci-Fi, and we tried walk up, but weren't able to eat there but the one time we had an ADR for.

We ate there on the 30th August this year - it was midweek - luckily we had a reservation for dinner as they were turning walk ups away - there was quite a few people waiting in the lobby area and we ate pretty late that day.

We had lunch there several years ago and they were taking walk ups but they were not seated in cars. This was the last week of Oct if that makes a difference:)

Terri

note of dissent-I say walk-ups may be possible..we have been there 3 times (DURING free-dining, including just this past Labor DAy holiday-week) We had fairly early lunch reservations all 3 times (11:30, 11:50, and 12 noon) All 3 times there were numerous empty tables AND they were taking walk-ups with 10-15 minutes wait times. So I'm thinking late August is Free Dining, but if you show up around 11:30 for lunch you may luck out. It you're getting to the park at rope-drop, and going for TSM, RnR, ToT and Star Tours you would about get those done and then it would be close to 11:30...could work. Worth a try:thumbsup2

We had an ADR there over MLK weekend and there was a CM posted at the door telling guests they weren't taking walk-ups.

We were back over Columbus day weekend and got a walk-up for two with only a five minute wait (and there was a couple in front of us that also got in as a walk-up). This was around 2:30 p.m. on a Saturday. It did look very crowded but maybe twos are easier to seat.

It truly is a game of chance

Visited October 2010 (it was 2 of us) and walked up at 11:30am and were able to get in

Went back on a solo trip in June around 11:45am and I could not get in to save my life

Went back in August (2 of us again) and could not get in at all

Best Bet: 180 days out make the ADR

We went in June. They were taking walkups but they couldn't sit in the cars. We waited about 25 minutes with a reservation so I'm not sure how long the people without one waited.

On Thursday the 10th at noon while waiting to be taken to our car they quoted a party of 2 an hour wait w/o ADR and wouldn't accept their request for dinner reservations.

we were there in late august and got seated with no probs at all. I thought i'd be turned away, but we got lucky! its definitely worth it to ask.

The problem you may have is late August is typically when Free Dining is offered - which means TS places are usually packed. :crowded::crowded:. While we loved late August for the crowds, weather and discounted rates, it was nearly impossible for us to change or modify any of our ADR's once we were there.

I was just there this October, the last week. A solo trip. I walked up about 5 pm and inquired if they could fit one in without an ADR. She said yes, I had to wait about 15 minutes. I was seated in the last seat of a car with a nice family in front of me in the first two seats. Parents and 2 children. The waitress called me the "hitch hiker" in the back. She was very funny and very nice. I really enjoyed the experience here. This was my second time eating here the first being many years ago. I was very comfortable here as a solo diner, not self conscious at all as it is semi dark and everyone is watching the screen facing forward and really not paying that much attention to the diners around them. All and all a really fun experience. I had the chicken sandwich with fries, very good by the way.

We were there on a Monday at the end of September and had an 11:30 ADR. All the cars were full the whole time we were there, but the regular tables in the back were open the whole time. I don't know if they were saving them or if they could have taken walk-ins and sat them there. Definitely try!

Over the years, I've eaten there about four times, and in all of those times have never had an ADR. I've always gone in as a walk up and don't recall waiting for more than 20 minutes or so. However, things may be a little different now, with the free dining offerings.

We been during free dining the last the years and I have found this restaurant a hard ressie to get for dinner. The restaurant is small and the turnover is not very fast. I really think there is only a very slim chance of a walk in, I seen many walk ups turned away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter