Wait for handicap busses

Gordon

Earning My Ears
Are all busses handicap equipted for wheelchairs or do I have to wait for a special bus, if so how often do they run?

Gordon
grumpy02.gif
Im not Grumpy, but wait, maybe I am!

Most WDW buses have lifts. We've only had to wait for a second one a couple of times. The buses do get full in the mornings particularly to the EE parks. You have to wave to get the drivers attention so you are let on first.

We find it useful to drive in the morning as the buses at lunch time are less frequent for a return to the resorts for a mid day siesta. It can take up to an hour to get back at lunch time.

In the late afternoon we take the buses so we can enjoy ourselves at Epcot in the evening.

Welcome, Gordon. our experience with the buses has been about the same as Choppertester reported. We've been told that more than 95% of the buses are equipped with lifts. We usually take the bus to MK because the bus takes you right to the entrance. If you drive, you have to park in the lot, then get a monorail or boat that actually take you to the entrance. The ramp to get to the monorail station is fairly steep and the boat can't always load wheelchairs because of low water in drought conditions, so we just like the bus better to go there.
Usually we don't have to wait for a second bus, but ti does sometimes happen, so leave early if you have PS or anything you absolutely need to get to on time. When you are waiting for the bus, it helps if you park yourself where the back door of the bus will be when it stops. Everyone else will be waiting by the front door, so you will be visible. We usually point to DD and shake our heads "yes" in an exaggerated way when the right bus comes so the driver knows we want to get on. We signal "no" for the ones we don't want so the driver knows that before he stops.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

Our first trip to WDW about every other bus had a lift. Sometimes we had to wait for every third.
A few times I even took our son home on the first bus that came along and would get him ready for bed. Dan would be about 30 minutes behind on the first bus with a lift.

Now it is rare that a bus doesn't have one. Several times the driver has jumped off his bus and apologized for it and told us when the next one should be expected.

The system has improved so much and when people complain about it I think of the old days and appreciate the new services all the more!!!

Linda

Disneyland-'66,'81,
Car. Beach '89,
FW cabins 94,95
Joined the DVC 95 !
HH 9x, OKW 2x, BW 1x, Vero 2x, & Magic 2x

When I went a few years ago, with 4 people in chairs, we had few problems...at the time all the accessable busses could accomodate up to 3 chairs. So, thought our group had to travel on two busses, it was not a huge problem.
:D [Marie
AOL Instant Messenger:MarieJPap1954

On my last trip in Nov/Dec, I found that a lot more people are renting ECV's from places like Walker rather then waiting to get one at the parks making it a longer wait for an accessible bus since the bus will only hold 2 wheelchairs and I have 2 kids in wheelchairs.

[This message was edited by Michigan on 03-03-01 at 07:09 AM.]

Usually the bus drivers get out and put the wheelchair folks on via the back door first, then load everyone else via the front door.

Once I observed that the driver already loaded a wheelchair rider and stowed the lift, then declined to ask others to vacate the other seat that folds up to accommodate a wheelchair and operate the lift a second time as a second wheelchair rider arrived somewhat later.

It would be interesting if they invented a policy whereby, if riders don't make room for folks in wheelchairs, the driver sits at the stop until they do or until the next bus arrives and picks up that wheelchair rider. A few years ago San Francisco's MUNI had a policy of holding the bus at a stop (traffic permitting) until every boarding passenger paid his/her fare.

More Disney tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

9/65 Disneyland
3/75 (World Inn* off I4 near DD)
4/85 (Kon-Tiki* on 192)
'80s Disneyland once or twice
7/94 PORiv (DxL)
9/97 ASMu
11/98 ASMu
12/98 (Knights Inn on 192)
9/99 ASMo
12/00 ASSp
11/01 ASSp planned
*no longer exists

Allan,
Would be nice but don't count on it. While most of the drivers are great, I have also had some real bummers during my visits.
Drivers who lie about whether or not they have space. Had one who swore that both spots were taken but when I told my girls to go and I would meet them, they discovered that none where taken by wheelchairs just able-bodied. When they challenged the driver his attitude is I'm not asking anyone to move for an ECV (this is when I could still use one) yet there was plenty of seats for them to move to.
Drivers who see you sitting there waiting and just drive past without stopping if you are the only one waiting. Those who refuse to wait for you to exit from on bus to get on the next after being notified that a wheelchair is coming. I have the transportation number on my cell phone now because of the problems I have had.
That said, most are ok but I go so frequently I get the bad as well.

Pooh Bear

On another forum (trip.com) I once suggested that guests/passengers subjected to unreasonable inconvenience write a letter of complaint including a request for some compensation. In the instance here, it may be a complimentary roll of film, stuffed animal, entree in a restaurant of the guest's choice or even a free re-admission to a park the enxt day. This is in addition to re-imbursement for missed flex features, PS's etc.

Treating the disabled as equally as possible is serious business. Time, date, bus number, location, etc. should be taken down to include in any letter of complaint.

The key issue is whether the cast members could have helped the situation. If the entire bus was filled and only two more people could squeeze on board and stand, that is not needless inconvenience. Also the bus driver is not a policeman if people on the bus are not cooperative.

Upper management has to set the rules and priorities. Complaint letters and compensation requests made at the guest relations desk at a resort or park, not at the front of the bus, will give valuable feedback to management. No employee may be forced to do anything that would result in disciplinary action, so drivers told that their first goal is to adhere to schedule will continue to pass by wheelchair guests.

[This message was edited by AllanJ on 04-07-01 at 01:09 PM.]

[This message was edited by AllanJ on 04-07-01 at 01:11 PM.]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter