DIS Veteran
Hello

I want to stay at wakiki beach for two nights before aulani

I would like to be on the beach if possible

I would like to be around shops, restaurants, things to do as no car

I was looking at outrigger wakiki beach and hilton hawaiin village

Any thoughts and/or suggestions

Thank you :)

I've stayed at Hilton Hawaiian Village, but not the Outrigger. I loved HHV, it's like a little city onto itself. Good beach, great pool complex, lagoon, penguins, Friday night fireworks. That said, it is on the edge of Waikiki and not in the center of the action. There are some shops in HHV and you would also be closer to Ala Moana Shopping Center, but the Outrigger would be closer to the shopping along the main strip of Waikiki Beach.

They are on opposite ends of the beach. We like the location of Outrigger Waikiki next to the Sheraton, which has a shopping mall. If you like to walk, you can even walk to Diamond Head (about 2 miles) or the Honolulu Zoo (less than a mile away).

We stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village our first time to Hawaii, and it was great. Plenty of things to do. Plenty of places to eat. Great beach, pools. The Alii tower rooms also have a smaller rooftop pool, with a bar. We got upgraded when our ocean view request was not available. There is also a mini mall across the road, with more restaurants and shops.

No resort fee at the Outrigger and it is much more central than HHV however you can walk or take the bus to the main part of Waikiki from HHV, just a bit of a pain. I have read a few times that the Hilton pools are cold so you may want to factor that into your choice, depending on the time of year. The Outrigger pool is very small and plain though.

walking from one end of waikiki to the other isn't really that bad, there are plenty of crosswalks, and shops along the main roads (parallel to the beach), some of the roads that run perpendicular to the beach aren't as well lit can sometimes be a bit narrow as well without many shops lining them.

any of the hotels that are right along the beach would be fine choices...and should have many options for food/shopping within a block or 2 at most

as was mentioned in an earlier post theres the zoo on one end, and a sizable mall (ala moana) with the only disney store on the island not too far from the other end.

all of these things should be easily visible on maps, just comes down to how much walking is ok vs "too much".

there is also a bus system, a trolley, as well as the obvious taxis etc. if you wanted to go further than waikiki.

We stayed at the Moana Surfrider and it was beautiful. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Hyatt Regency would be a good choice too, but I agree, the Moana Surfrider is a great choice...

We stayed at the Moana Surfrider and it was beautiful. I would go back in a heartbeat.

I actually have reservations for both the Moana Surfrider and the Royal Hawaiian at the moment and I'm busy trying to decide between the two for the first 5 nights of our vacation. I have tower rooms in both reserved. Did you find the Moana Surfrider very busy with non-stop weddings in the lobby?

I actually have reservations for both the Moana Surfrider and the Royal Hawaiian at the moment and I'm busy trying to decide between the two for the first 5 nights of our vacation. I have tower rooms in both reserved. Did you find the Moana Surfrider very busy with non-stop weddings in the lobby?

We went quite a few years ago, maybe 10, and I don't remember seeing any weddings in the lobby. Either they weren't doing them then or they just didn't make any impact in our trip. I don't remember really being in the lobby much.

We stayed at the Royal Hawaiian prior to Aulani and loved it. We had 2 children with us and the pool at the RH is tiny, however you do have access to the pool at the Sheraton next door, which is great for kids (waterslide etc). I loved the fact that you felt a mile away from everything with all of the gardens etc, yet you were actually in the middle of it all - the beach was great - we rented chairs (you can reserve online). The service was good, we stayed in the Historic wing in a one bedroom suite and it was huge (the bathrooms were small - but newly renovated). We really enjoyed the charm and history of the the hotel. I think either one you will be happy. Enjoy your trip!

We stayed at the Royal Hawaiian prior to Aulani and loved it. We had 2 children with us and the pool at the RH is tiny, however you do have access to the pool at the Sheraton next door, which is great for kids (waterslide etc). I loved the fact that you felt a mile away from everything with all of the gardens etc, yet you were actually in the middle of it all - the beach was great - we rented chairs (you can reserve online). The service was good, we stayed in the Historic wing in a one bedroom suite and it was huge (the bathrooms were small - but newly renovated). We really enjoyed the charm and history of the the hotel. I think either one you will be happy. Enjoy your trip!

Thank you of the information, especially about renting the chairs on line. I've got an oceanfront room in the tower. My 23 year old son is an officer in the Army and just moved to Hawaii a month ago so we are going to see him. He lives in downtown Honolulu so I figured this would be close to him. We are doing Waikiki for 5 nights, then 3 nights and Maui and ending our trip with him staying with us at Aulani. He's a huge Disney nut as are we and extremely excited to be staying at Aulani

We loved, loved the Hyatt Place in Waikiki. It's a bit tucked away but still close to all the action and the beach. The price was great, rooms are nice and modern and a nice breakfast is included. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

I've stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village several times and agree that it is a small town unto itself and a great place to stay in Waikiki. You have a variety of shops, restaurants, and activities close at hand. Service is very good. Beach is good and pools are excellent. We now stay at the Aulani, but if we were to stay in Waikiki, the Hilton Hawaiian Village would be a top choice (I'm eligible to stay at the Hale Koa, the military resort next door, and this would be my first choice).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter