VWL Lovers & Groupies Thread: Meese-ka, Mice-ka MOOSE-kateers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also send a big welcome to Dynaguy!!!

Update on my Mom. . . . is not good. She took a sudden turn for the worse Sunday morning and we are in the comfort mode that hospice takes. I am staying with her at night and we are trying to have someone with her all day also. My DH is being very supportive especially in that he and my DS are being neglected and having to take care of everything by themselves. And to top it off my DS sprained his ankle very bad on Saturday afternoon. I know my Dad is standing at the gates waiting for her to join him.
Believe me, I have had a few private pity parties, but then I take a deep breath and carry on. I just want her to be in peace.
Thanks to all of you groupies and I hope everyone is keeping cool. We have been over 100 for well over two weeks in a row.

So sorry to hear about your mom and your son. Prayers are being said for both of them as well as you. Knowing that a parent will be better off once the battle is over certainly doesn't make it any easier. When my dad died, it was such a relief that his battle was over. But my heart still broke.

Weather here has been horrendous, too. This is why I could never enjoy WDW in the summertime. I've been trying to stay inside in the A/C but errands still need to be run. I can't imagine being over 100 much less for two weeks in a row!

Welcome Dynaguy!

Inkmahm - please pass on to Horselover your technique for getting Dynaguy on the thread. We need Anniversary Guy checking in every once in a while!

My secret is that we are taking a DCL cruise next August to Canada, to ports that I know nothing at all about. There is a thread started on the cruise board to help us with info about the locations. Since I know nothing about the area, I wanted Dynaguy to join the DIS so that he could subscribe to that thread and help me with the research and planning.

And since he was joining for that thread, I told him he HAD to come check in on the moose thread since he already knew people here. I warned him that you guys here knew all about our puppy Cinderella, the family surgeries, my temporary retirement, etc. Also told him that you are the most supportive people I've ever met. Prayer requests here are met almost before they are even requested. I really hope we will be able to make it to a group meet in December so that we can meet more of you in person.

Now as far as the name Dynaguy, it isn't what I would have selected for him. But his favorite movie is the Incredibles (he has almost all of the Disney Incredibles pins for his collection.) And we often use the phrase "capes are bad" in our house. I guess no one else wanted to be known as a dead Disney character. ;)

Hi Groupies! I'm back from my trip west, and my grandmother's memorial service. It was a fun-filled weekend full of family and friends time, as well as a day at Disneyland on Monday. The memorial itself on Saturday went really well... thanks for the prayers and kind words leading up to it last week. I spoke as I had mentioned, and despite my nerves, and a couple of times of breaking down almost crying, it was good and fun. Several of my cousins also spoke, along with aunts and uncles and my dad. All in all there were about 70-75 people there - with family members in from 10 states. This was the first time that the 6 cousins from my generation were all together at one time in about 25 years. I had an awesome conversation with one of my great uncles (my grandmother's younger brother, and now the last living relative from her immediate family - there were 6 siblings originally). Another great-uncle who is 94, almost 95, recognized me without any problem - announcing, "there's Christopher!" as soon as he walked into the room. There was plenty of laughter, tears, hugs and remembrances. We could all picture her dancing in heaven, and were so thankful for the wonderful life that she had led.

Disneyland and California Adventure were fun. I stayed in the renovated Adventure Tower at the Disneyland Hotel, and of course went over and sat in the lobby of the Grand Californian for a while. I got to ride the new Little Mermaid ride, as well as experienced the new Star Tours again (I did it 14x at WDW in May, but only 3x at DL... but still saw something new that I had not seen at WDW in one of those 3 trips). I enjoyed the new "Mickey's Soundsational Parade" at DL, and got to hang out with some friends.

I also spent time with my FIL at his place in San Clemente. I am sad to report that he continues to go downhill. He is very much in denial still. It was very frustrating and sad while I was there. He LOOKS okay, but is just getting worse. More pain, harder to walk, hard to sleep, etc, etc. He's a stubborn man and that just exacerbates it. But despite it all, it was wonderful to hang together and spend some good one on one time with him.

Okay, that's about it for now. I'm beat, and need to hit the hay. I landed at 12:30am this morning, home by nearly 2am - then straight to work and meetings all day and evening. Phwew. I'll be back on here tomorrow or soon.

Take care all.

:grouphug:Sending out my prayers and all my love to you and your family Kathy. You're family is being supportive because they love you, take comfort in that. let in envelope and warm you. Sounds like your mom was a terrific lady with many love ones.

So sorry Kathy. We will pray for peace for all of you.

Praying for peace for your mom Kathy. :hug:

:hug: For you, Kathy and your husband and son (poor kid, hope that ankle heals quickly).
I'll be praying for a wonderful reunion between your Mom and Dad. God is good!:cloud9:

Kathy....prayers continue to be sent up for you, your mother and your family. Best wishes during this very challenging time.

Oh Kathy, please know you are in my thoughts and prayers:hug:

Twokats - I will keep you and your family in my prayers. I was not able to be there for my Mom when she passed away in May. I wish I could have been there for her. How blessed your mom is to have so much support from you! :hug:

Thinking of you and your family TwoKats!

You are in my thoughts and prayers twokats. :hug:

So sorry to hear about your mom and your son. Prayers are being said for both of them as well as you. Knowing that a parent will be better off once the battle is over certainly doesn't make it any easier. When my dad died, it was such a relief that his battle was over. But my heart still broke.

Weather here has been horrendous, too. This is why I could never enjoy WDW in the summertime. I've been trying to stay inside in the A/C but errands still need to be run. I can't imagine being over 100 much less for two weeks in a row!

I thank all of you again. She is hanging in there, but still goes down daily. I also have a good support system around here. I have had plenty of people around to give me time to run errands and keep appointments, but it is hard not being home at night. I have laughed and told my husband it will take him two truck loads to move me back home with all the stuff I have brought up here to be able to get stuff done.

We are still in the triple digit temps. Our county finally joined the burn ban status. I think there are only 5 counties left in the state before we have all involved.

Hope all groupies have had a good week.

Hi Groupies! I'm back from my trip west, and my grandmother's memorial service. It was a fun-filled weekend full of family and friends time, as well as a day at Disneyland on Monday.

Glad you're back and had a nice time despite the sad reason for going. We look forward to you in daily discussions and hearing about your upcoming trips.

14X on Star Tours at WDW and 3X at DL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's amazing! I've been on it 12X so far, but hope to do some catching up in a couple months. I do have to say I did see all the possible scenarios in those 12X. :thumbsup2
Glad to hear you're back safe and sound and enjoyed yourself.

Hi Groupies! I'm back from my trip west, and my grandmother's memorial service. It was a fun-filled weekend full of family and friends time, as well as a day at Disneyland on Monday. .

Glad things went so well at the memorial service and that you got to see so much of your family. It is just a shame that those are the times when we get to see people we haven't seen in forever. Glad you got to spend some time with your FIL too. Sorry that he is not doing well. I'll keep him in my prayers.

Hi Groupies! I'm back from my trip west, and my grandmother's memorial service.

Awww. I am so glad that all went well for you and your family. And I'm glad you got to spend some more time with your FIL.

Lifting him up in prayer.:hug:

PS can you try texting me again? I am still not sure what happened that I could not receive yours a while back.

I got some bad news yesterday about an old friend.

To begin with, his wife died at the end of May (she is early 60's) this year. And yesterday he passed away (same age).

She had cancer and he had ALS and I believe, a broken heart.

My only reason for posting this is that some days I just have to be shaken a little and realize how fragile life is. That and, don't wait too long to talk to someone about their loss of a loved one. I held onto his email about his beloved wife passing away and was waiting for the dust to settle to tell him how much we loved her and that she will be missed.

Chuck and I cried last night and asked the Lord to please tell this wonderful couple
that they are loved and we will see them again one day.

Thanks for listening Groupies.:grouphug:

Christopher~glad to hear all went well, and welcom back. Now settle down will ya ;)

Muush~ I am sorry about your friend and his wife. I am sure they are looking down and know what you are feeling.:flower3:

Glad you're back and had a nice time despite the sad reason for going. We look forward to you in daily discussions and hearing about your upcoming trips.

14X on Star Tours at WDW and 3X at DL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's amazing! I've been on it 12X so far, but hope to do some catching up in a couple months. I do have to say I did see all the possible scenarios in those 12X. :thumbsup2
Glad to hear you're back safe and sound and enjoyed yourself.

It was fun... thanks! I'm now 1 scenario away from seeing them all.

Glad things went so well at the memorial service and that you got to see so much of your family. It is just a shame that those are the times when we get to see people we haven't seen in forever. Glad you got to spend some time with your FIL too. Sorry that he is not doing well. I'll keep him in my prayers.

Thanks for the continued prayer.

Awww. I am so glad that all went well for you and your family. And I'm glad you got to spend some more time with your FIL.

Lifting him up in prayer.:hug:

PS can you try texting me again? I am still not sure what happened that I could not receive yours a while back.

Thanks to you too... and yes, I just texted you. Let me know if you get it or not.

To begin with, his wife died at the end of May (she is early 60's) this year. And yesterday he passed away (same age).

My only reason for posting this is that some days I just have to be shaken a little and realize how fragile life is. That and, don't wait too long to talk to someone about their loss of a loved one. I held onto his email about his beloved wife passing away and was waiting for the dust to settle to tell him how much we loved her and that she will be missed.

Chuck and I cried last night and asked the Lord to please tell this wonderful couple

I'm so sorry to read this Barb. :grouphug: It IS so important to let those we love know it.

Christopher~glad to hear all went well, and welcom back. Now settle down will ya ;)

;) That's what my wife said yesterday too... :lmao:

Thanks all for sharing my grief with me. I see his obit is online, so forming the words.....

In the meantime, I really want to be a fly on the wall of a certain Groupie's house today. Hi Stopher :wave:

So sorry to hear about this. :hug:

Well hey there once again.

Life appears (at least for now) like it might slow down juuuuuuuuussssst a bit for the next couple of weeks around here - so I wanted to jump back in while I could.

As I mentioned last night in my post about being home from CA and the memorial service and all that that trip entailed.... I DID once again get to head off to "mecca"... DISNEYLAND. I actually texted a couple of my Dad's Club buddies while I was in the parks - with pics of Phineas and Ferb in Disney California Adventure with their little mini-parade/show that they put on; and then later from in Disneyland during the "Mickey's Soundsational Parade" with the Princess & the Frog float that has Tianna right up front & center since his daughter Madison loves Tianna. Some of you closer to the west coast may have already experienced or seen some of these pictures... so I apologize in advance, but I'm sharing anyway.

While I was out there I finally saw POTC: On Stranger Tides AND Cars2. I saw POTC on Sunday night at Downtown Disney. It was okay, but let me just say it put mermaids into a whole new light for me... especially considering that I did get to ride the all-new "The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure" in DCA, which will come to the Magic Kingdom next year. It was cool. The Magic Kingdom variety though will have a much more impressive exterior... looking like something out of the film... this one fits in to the overall theme of Paradise Pier at DCA.

2011-0718-00165.jpg

2011-0718-001108.jpg

That King Triton statue at the top of the building used to be a fountain inside Disneyland in the midst of a pond called King Tritons' Gardens, near the old Ariel meet & greet location. And that building is so absolutely gorgeous at night time, all lit up with all of that popcorn lighting... plus the very cool windows with the interior lighting, and some lit up stained glass on the sides.

It's nothing fabulous, just a glorified dark-ride... in "clammobiles" a la the "doom buggies" variety. But it has a very nice mural in the load area.

2011-0718-00170.jpg

It certainly is not an E-ticket, more around a C...maybe a D... but it was cool. Another great people eater to draw in the crowds and get them off the walkways. It has a high hourly throughput too, which is so needed to off-set the various slow loaders nearby in DCA (and the various slow-loaders in Fantasyland at the MK too). The animatronics are the latest and greatest around, and articulate very, very well. The Ursula figure alone was about 8 feet tall, and close to 18-20 feet wide with all of those tentacles... very impressive.

2011-0718-00179.jpg

I also like the "dry for wet" atmosphere... if you think about what they did with the Nemo queue at Epcot... then take it up several notches... it was very well done. I will put up a few pics soon. This will be a very good addition to Fantasyland at the MK when it is finished and finally opened!

2011-0718-00177.jpg

I once again enjoyed my favorite WORLD OF COLOR that evening, which since I last saw it in December, has already been updated... which had been updated from when it opened last year in June. Gotta love that digital technology that makes upgrades / updates so quick and easy to accomplish.

2011-0718-001173.jpg

2011-0718-001180.jpg

2011-0718-001198.jpg

2011-0718-001203.jpg

2011-0718-001206.jpg

I also got to enjoy the new Star Tours 3x while there (while I enjoyed doing it 14x at WDW in May... I didn't have as many days to play, so I kept it to a minimum this time) - and while there, I was able to add one more destination to my roster of possible scenarios. :cool1: That was fun.

I will say also, that I just LOVE Space Mountain at Disneyland. I rode it 3x, and wanted to go back for a 4th, but wasn't able to. For those of you who have never been there - it's a whale of a lot smoother than at the Magic Kingdom. For size (of the park and scale, the entire attraction was built 15' feet below ground), and is a smaller circumference than the MK's version - which meant that it could not be dual track but rather dual seat sleds on a single track. So instead of 6 person individual bobsled seating, you have 12 person seating in 6 rows on a single track. But it is just so smooth - you really glide along. A big part of that is from the 2004-05 rebuild - where the entire track was removed and rebuilt. The last few times I've been to the MK, I've enjoyed SM less and less, and the last visit I refused to even go knowing that it just made a bit naseous the time before thanks to all of the jostling and bumping that it does. I really wish that they would have done the same kind of rebuild when they took SM down for an extended rehab what 2 years ago now. Ride technologies have improved so much since SM was first added to the MK in '75 and to DL in '77. The 2005 version of SM at DL is so much better than the original was. And the soundtrack is just so cool too. I can't wait to go back in October when they overlay the halloween stuff to it for "Space Mountain: Ghost Galaxy". This will be the 3rd year they've done that, but my first to experience it as I'm usually out there in either early September, late November or December and miss it.

I stayed at the Disneyland Hotel this time around. It was great. The new monorail themed water slides at the new pool are pretty cool. The hotel is being completely renovated, with the towers being mostly gutted and rebuilt. Each tower is being rethemed to lands across the street at the park... Adventure, Frontier and Fantasy. The pool complex is taking on a Tomorrowland feel with the new slides.

2011-0719-06.jpg

2011-0719-08.jpg

They've recreated the look of the original marquee along Harbor Blvd too, that was removed in 1987. It was always such a welcoming sight as you would drive down Harbor and enter the parking lot.

The redone Frontier tower has one of the scale models of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in the lobby - that was very cool. It was inside a glass case that you could walk all the way around, and follow the track with your eyes. Lots of fun.

2011-0718-001217.jpg

2011-0718-001215.jpg

2011-0718-001214.jpg

Concept art from the various lands and their attractions hangs on the walls of each tower. The lobby furnishings match the overall theme of the tower too. I love the new carpet in the hallways.

2011-0718-00114.jpg

Inside the room I was in, there was a "magic" headboard, with a Castle carving to it, that lights up with fireworks and "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" music with the flip of a switch.

2011-0718-00131.jpg

This one is a little video of the music playing if you click it.
[URL=http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm34/stopher1_photos/Disneyland%20-%20July%202011/?action=view&current=2011-0718-0011.mp4][/URL]

The new entrance at DCA has been completed now, as they barrel forward towards 2012 and th grand opening of Carsland and the new Buena Vista Street. The entrance now looks identical to Hollywood Studios, which is based on the old Pan-Pacific Auditorium from Los Angeles in the 1930's.

2011-0718-00146.jpg

The Redwood Creek Challenge Trail at DCA has for the past several years been a place to meet & greet Koda & Kenai from Brother Bear. Last month they were moved out and Russell & Doug from UP! moved in. The retheme is terrific, and the younger explorers can find and earn some different badges while there. It's pretty cool.

2011-0718-00163.jpg

While I was there, also, Disneyland turned 56 on Sunday... I haven't been there for a birthday since the park turned 45. That was a nice little bonus.

All in all it was a nice little visit to the Happiest Place on Earth. I can't wait to go back in October.

Stopher - Thanks for all the pictures!!!!! I really wanna make a trip out west again!!! I would love to see WOC. I totally agree with you on Space Mountain. I can't ride the one in WDW but in DL I rode it many, many times! Love it! When DD had a school trip to Ca. in March the kids had a choice between Univ. and DL and they unfortuatly picked Univ. DD and I were mad cause we wanted to ride Space Mountain!

Christopher, loved reading about your DL stay. We haven't been since the boys were really young....I am guessing about 17 or 18 years! My brother lived in CA so we would visit often. I hope to get back there one day. :goodvibes

Muushka - so sorry to hear about the loss of your friends. :hug:

Welcome back Stopher! Glad to hear that your trip went well and hope that things settle down for you.

The new entrance at DCA has been completed now, as they barrel forward towards 2012 and th grand opening of Carsland and the new Buena Vista Street. The entrance now looks identical to Hollywood Studios, which is based on the old Pan-Pacific Auditorium from Los Angeles in the 1930's.

2011-0718-00146.jpg

Wow - that happened fast. I have always liked this entrance at MGM/DHS but I must admit to being disappointed that they removed the beautiful DCA entrance only to copy DHS. :sad1:

Your report has gotten me excited to try and use my holding points at DL sometime in the next few months. There's quite a few changes to take in although I'm not going to top your 3 Star tours rides much less come close to your WDW record! WOW!!! Star Tours still makes me queasy which is such a bummer since it really is a nice update. However, since I agree with you 100% about Space Mt. maybe I can beat you there. ;) Thanks for the pictures and sharing your trip!

Big hugs Muushka. :grouphug: So very sorry to read of your loss. We Groupies are here to share your grief and offer support.

Nice to have you back Stopher! Thanks for sharing your trip and photos with us. I'll bet you're glad to be home.

Wow - that happened fast. I have always liked this entrance at MGM/DHS but I must admit to being disappointed that they removed the beautiful DCA entrance only to copy DHS. :sad1:

Yeah, I kind of agree with you... I miss the old entrance a bit, but more the letters than the giant tile mural. I too have always like the DHS one, but it could / should have been something different. The Golden Gate Bridge was supposed to have started to be removed slowly on Tuesday or Wednesday this week. It should be done in a couple of weeks. They plan to have the entire former Sunshine Plaza / entrance area walled off before Labor Day so that they can work on Buena Vista Street in earnest.

Your report has gotten me excited to try and use my holding points at DL sometime in the next few months. There's quite a few changes to take in although I'm not going to top your 3 Star tours rides much less come close to your WDW record! WOW!!! Star Tours still makes me queasy which is such a bummer since it really is a nice update. However, since I agree with you 100% about Space Mt. maybe I can beat you there. ;) Thanks for the pictures and sharing your trip!

Star Tours is really cool, but I just didn't want to do it more times than I did on this trip. I actually only was able to do both Star Tours & Space Mountain 3x because they gave me a pair of hotel guest Instant FP's (part of the current promotion for the DL resorts this summer) upon check-in. So I used one for each attraction to get that 3rd trip. The Star Tours FP's were gone for the day by around noon, and the Space Mountain FP's were gone by around 2pm.

You're right about all of the changes. I watch the updates weekly on MiceAge and MousePlanet... but website updates just aren't the same as being there in person. It'll be fun to see how much is accomplished on the DCA stuff by October.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter