VWL Groupies...yes, we love the Lodge!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a nice relaxing time at the World, Granny. And best wishes for your new job!

DDi, so sorry that happened to you. You took it all so well, that was makes you so special.
I love the pictures, and hope to get there one day.

Di...thanks for the photos and trip report. Aulani is definitely on our bucket list...just have to figure out when would be the best time for us. Sounds like a lovely place. And a trip that seems to need a lot of advance research to avoid the issues you had. Was the car broken into in the Aulani parking lot? That would really be disappointing!

Another cool day here at WDW...temps supposed to be in the mid-60's for a high with strong winds again (17-20 mph). Not very pleasant, but still a great place to be no matter what the weather holds. Supposedly it will be in the upper 70's before we leave. :cool2:

Another cool day here at WDW...temps supposed to be in the mid-60's for a high with strong winds again (17-20 mph). Not very pleasant, but still a great place to be no matter what the weather holds. Supposedly it will be in the upper 70's before we leave. :cool2:
I'll try to work up some sympathy for you as I sit in 18F temps, 25-30 mph winds, snow showers, and the threat of a major snow event come Wednesday. ;)

Have a nice relaxing time at the World, Granny. And best wishes for your new job!
Thanks for the kind words of support, as always Barb! :)

I'll try to work up some sympathy for you as I sit in 18F temps, 25-30 mph winds, snow showers, and the threat of a major snow event come Wednesday. ;)

:rotfl2:

Same here!

I know, I know...it's still 30-40 degrees better than we left in St. Louis. But lows in the 30's in Orlando coupled with 20 mph winds makes for a cool walk around MK. Still, as you all point out, we are in a great place and believe me I'm not looking for sympathy as we enjoy the trip.

On a different topic, we are staying in a 1BR lock-off Standard View at AKV-Jambo. It's our first stay at Jambo after a couple of Kidani stays. Quite a bit different with a different layout (no kitchen "L" shape counter for instance and no dedicated shower (it's part of the bathtub like a typical hotel room). Not a big thing, and plenty of room for DW and I, but quite different from the roominess and extra bathroom we enjoyed at Kidani.

I hope all Groupies who are suffering from illness or injury are recuperating quickly. Be well, my friends! :)

I know, I know...it's still 30-40 degrees better than we left in St. Louis. But lows in the 30's in Orlando coupled with 20 mph winds makes for a cool walk around MK. Still, as you all point out, we are in a great place and believe me I'm not looking for sympathy as we enjoy the trip.
:)
We're just envious. ;)

Let me tell you about Aulani - what a beautiful, fabulous resort. I hope that at some point of each of your lives you have opportunity to visit this beautiful place! We chose to visit in February - winter season in Hawaii. While the temperatures were in the high 70's and low 80's during the day, the winds were fierce. We did swim some, but getting out of the water was a 'chilling' experience. It was much warmer to sunbathe at the lagoon.
The CM's are like family; very friendly, helpful and full of conversation. It is worth the price of the refillable mug - $18.99 - just for the coffee alone. While I do enjoy my coffee, I'm usually a 'morning only' coffee drinker. At Aulani I was drinking coffee all day long.
We began each morning with a walk along the lagoons up to the point and the marina. It would take us about an hour and the walk is nearly 3 miles. There are a total of 4 lagoons. While at Disney in December we would count the deer along the path over to Ft. Wilderness. At Aulani, we counted the stray cats - one day as many as 23! Local residents would feed them. This photo shows the walkway with a beautiful rainbow over Aulani.

IMG_3175.jpg

One day we made our way up to the North Shore where we spent a considerable amount of time at the beach watching the sea turtles and hoping one would come into shore to sun himself. Please meet Olivia Dawn, a 210 pound sea turtle. As a point of information, the turtles come to the warm sand to sun themselves and help aid in their digestion. There are about 28 turtles - all named and recognized by the volunteers that guard over them - that come to this particular beach.

IMG_3041.jpg

We spent an afternoon whale-watching; a tour booked through Aulani's tour desk. What a wonderful experience! One of the big fellow's even did a back-flip for us. Thrilling!

We also spent a day over on the big island doing an Eco Volcano tour. While the tour was again a very educational experience, should you decide to do this, please do you homework and book with a reputable tour company. This excursion was booked through our local AAA and was plagued with problems: the plane was over 2 hours late taking off (Go! Airlines :sad2:), 4 very young children that were very bored 2 hours into a 12 hour tour, no time for dinner, the 'expert' tour guide failed to get us back to the airport on time and our flight had already departed. $700.00 later, we're on the last flight off the island and flying with Hawaiian airlines. This photo taken from a significant distance shows the molten glow of magma.

IMG_3135.jpg

As a word of caution and something we knew, when traveling up the west coast be extremely careful. This area is plagued with homeless and is a constant source of headache for the local police with robbery. We were indeed victimized. :sad1: Our rental car was broken into - the trunk where we had stored our backpacks, purses, wallets ipad and cell phones. Some things were taken, some not and believe it or not, some were even returned to Aulani's front desk several hours after the incident. We had gone up the coast to watch a surfing championship......

Aulani is beautiful! I'd go back in a heartbeat. Even the long flight was tolerable. Maybe someday....
DDad and me near the path we walked daily taking in the beauty before us. Beside Aulani is one of 3 wedding chapels in Ko Olina. We would see weddings on a regular basis beginning as early as 9 AM! If (when - sshhh) we ever go back, I think I'd like to go in September or October. We've been in June and now in February. Yes, I think September would be good!

IMG_3179.jpg

Lovin your trip report! DH & I are considering Aulani for our 25th Wedding Anniversary in 2016. I'd like to do a vow renewal ceremony too, but Allen isn't as enthused about that idea. He thinks I've been watching too many of the "Say Yes To the Dress" Show episodes. :rotfl: Even though our anniversary is in July, I too think September would we a nice month to go & probably easier to book a ressie for at 7 months out.

I just need to release some excitement about our upcoming trip in May, our first VWL stay. Three of us in a dedicated 2BR.

I love WL and its theming, and can't wait to experience that environment again. We haven't stayed at WL since '98/'99 (when our New Year's trip was extended by three days after a blizzard in Chicago "stranded" us in FL), and always loved the convenience of the MK boats.

We bought DVC last year, at BLT; I'm one of those traditionalists, considering any resort that's not CR, Poly, or Golf Resort "one of those new places." My first stay at the Poly was in '74 when I was 8. Nice memories.

I'm not a fan at all of the seaside decor at the BW resorts, though love their convenience during F & W.

Anyway, can't wait for our VWL stay. I think I'd like to try for one of the corner xx19 units, overlooking the pool. The layout looks unique. Has anyone stayed in one of those who can give me some feedback/info?

Finally caught up!!

First things first: THE Wonderful THING About TiGGERS

(Sorry about the all caps for T, but I have no idea how to do bold on my iPad!)

Thanks for all the wonderful photos and reports. I have always wanted to go to Hawaii, and now that Disney is there it makes it even more appealing. However, not being able to drive there is a problem......

Sinus troubles: I had a CT scan of my sinuses a few years ago and was not surprised to find out my right sinus is chronically inflamed. I have been using Advair once a day
for awhile now and I think it has helped. The problem for me was the danger of sinus infection turning into bronchitis/pneumonia so I try to do as much preventatively as I can. Besides the Advair, I use Vicks Vaporub every night and even inhale it directly from the jar until I feel the right side of my nose open up a bit. This could all be placebo effects, but it has seemed to help! I get tooth pain too. I heard that allergy season has started early this year because of all the high winds we have had. Also, decreasing dairy helps a bit too. I feel your pain! Once it becomes a coughing thing, it does take longer to get rid of. Try to sleep with your head propped up. Breathe steam. I use a big bowl of water with herbal teas made for nasal congestion and coughs. ( look for eucalyptus and lemon) I boil the water in the microwave, put the tea bags in, and put a towel over my head. I keep reheating until I feel some relief. Hope you are well soon!

Happy Birthdays to all I missed! I love your virtual birthday plans.

And last but not least, today is my 150 day mark! Can't wait to see the VWL lobby details from that video.

DDi -- thank you so much for sharing the pictures and info -- I really enjoyed looking, reading, and dreaming!

George -- I am very excited for you! By the time you get back from your trip, we'll just be leaving -- so make sure you post in and share your pix and stories!

We have had a few snow flurries here today. Pretty, but nothing that will stick. I don't think we're going to get a snow/ice day down here in the South this year. Oh well!

I just need to release some excitement about our upcoming trip in May, our first VWL stay. Three of us in a dedicated 2BR.

I love WL and its theming, and can't wait to experience that environment again. We haven't stayed at WL since '98/'99 (when our New Year's trip was extended by three days after a blizzard in Chicago "stranded" us in FL), and always loved the convenience of the MK boats.

We bought DVC last year, at BLT; I'm one of those traditionalists, considering any resort that's not CR, Poly, or Golf Resort "one of those new places." My first stay at the Poly was in '74 when I was 8. Nice memories.

I'm not a fan at all of the seaside decor at the BW resorts, though love their convenience during F & W.

Anyway, can't wait for our VWL stay. I think I'd like to try for one of the corner xx19 units, overlooking the pool. The layout looks unique. Has anyone stayed in one of those who can give me some feedback/info?
Congratulations and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time! I've stayed in one of those unique suites and loved it. My only feedback is that it felt very spacious, and as I recall, we had an extra large dining table which, though we didn't need, was lovely to have. Whatever room you get it will be wonderful, I'm sure. :thumbsup2

Congratulations and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time! I've stayed in one of those unique suites and loved it. My only feedback is that it felt very spacious, and as I recall, we had an extra large dining table which, though we didn't need, was lovely to have. Whatever room you get it will be wonderful, I'm sure. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the info. We don't need an extra large dining table (there are only three of us), but the extra room will be nice.

Are there windows on two sides of the bedrooms? That'd be nice too.

Thanks for the info. We don't need an extra large dining table (there are only three of us), but the extra room will be nice.

Are there windows on two sides of the bedrooms? That'd be nice too.
My visit was years ago and on one of my first DVC visits ever, but as I recall, there were windows and a balcony on two sides of the suite facing in opposite directions (the master toward the pool and the second BR toward the trees). That offset of the two BRs is what stretched the living area and allowed for the larger dining table. There are only a handful of those rooms, so I don't know how good your odds will be of getting one. Good luck!

My visit was years ago and on one of my first DVC visits ever, but as I recall, there were windows and a balcony on two sides of the suite facing in opposite directions (the master toward the pool and the second BR toward the trees). That offset of the two BRs is what stretched the living area and allowed for the larger dining table. There are only a handful of those rooms, so I don't know how good your odds will be of getting one. Good luck!

Well, I'm going to try!

Apparently, there are dedicated 2BRs on floors 2, 3, and 4. On the 5th floor, it's a 2BR lock-off, and besides, the fifth floor has those dormer balconies, which I don't care for.

Thanks again for the info!

gmi3804 said:
Well, I'm going to try!

Apparently, there are dedicated 2BRs on floors 2, 3, and 4. On the 5th floor, it's a 2BR lock-off, and besides, the fifth floor has those dormer balconies, which I don't care for.

Thanks again for the info!

I was thinking of requesting the 5th floor because I usually prefer not having anyone walking around n the floor above me. If you don't mind, could you please tell me what you don't like about the balconies? Also, what is the advantage of a dedicated 2BR over a lock-off?

Di Loving the pictures!! You both look like you were having a great time in that shot. Sorry yall got broke in. Its a shame that even in paradise, nothing is sacred. We know heaven will be exclusive from such matters though:cloud9:

George Our only 2 bed stay ever was in one of those corner units, 2nd floor and it was ultra nice and big. DD says the 2nd bedroom only has windows on the end. But if you can land one of those, a very fortunate family you will be. Ask for near the elevators, and it may happen:thumbsup2

bluecastle Hope the sinuses clear soon. As for the 5th floor, we like it up there, but the way the balconies are designed, they dont have clear view of trees, but rather walled in. If you stand you can clearly see the trees. So if this is major for you, need a clearer view on balcony, ask for 4th floor. Also, 5th floor ceiling slants as it gets closer to outside of building, feels a little less spacious.

I was thinking of requesting the 5th floor because I usually prefer not having anyone walking around n the floor above me. If you don't mind, could you please tell me what you don't like about the balconies? Also, what is the advantage of a dedicated 2BR over a lock-off?

Here is a picture of a solid 5th floor balcony:

p1157479602-4.jpg

Here's a picture of a lower floor slotted balcony:

p710279493-4.jpg

The 5th floor rooms themselves have vaulted ceilings so overall the 5th floor is a very different feel than other floors.

5th floor:

p1157478868-4.jpg

3rd floor:

p398149770-4.jpg

5th floor:

p1157479012-4.jpg

3rd floor:

p364879082-4.jpg

Dedicated 2 BR's have 2 queen beds in the second bedroom and one entrance to the suite. A 2BR lockoff is made up of a 1BR and a studio so the second bedrooms has 1 queen bed and a double sleeper sofa and will also have the studio kitchenette in it and a separate entrance.

Granny, hope the weather straightenes up for you. We have been crazy here in TX that is for sure. We have pretty much been consistent with temps in the high 50's, but we have been in the 60's for a few. up to 69 today, but Monday we are supposed to hit 80!!!!! Then Tuesday back down to 65. I am barely getting better and the weather is just going crazy. But as our saying goes, if you don't like the weather in TX, wait 5 minutes!!!

Sleepy, I hope you have just a minor snow event. We never know exactly what we are going to get here in TX, but this year has been interesting, to say the least!

Finally caught up!!

First things first: THE Wonderful THING About TiGGERS

(Sorry about the all caps for T, but I have no idea how to do bold on my iPad!)

Thanks for all the wonderful photos and reports. I have always wanted to go to Hawaii, and now that Disney is there it makes it even more appealing. However, not being able to drive there is a problem......

Sinus troubles: I had a CT scan of my sinuses a few years ago and was not surprised to find out my right sinus is chronically inflamed. I have been using Advair once a day
for awhile now and I think it has helped. The problem for me was the danger of sinus infection turning into bronchitis/pneumonia so I try to do as much preventatively as I can. Besides the Advair, I use Vicks Vaporub every night and even inhale it directly from the jar until I feel the right side of my nose open up a bit. This could all be placebo effects, but it has seemed to help! I get tooth pain too. I heard that allergy season has started early this year because of all the high winds we have had. Also, decreasing dairy helps a bit too. I feel your pain! Once it becomes a coughing thing, it does take longer to get rid of. Try to sleep with your head propped up. Breathe steam. I use a big bowl of water with herbal teas made for nasal congestion and coughs. ( look for eucalyptus and lemon) I boil the water in the microwave, put the tea bags in, and put a towel over my head. I keep reheating until I feel some relief. Hope you are well soon!

Happy Birthdays to all I missed! I love your virtual birthday plans.

And last but not least, today is my 150 day mark! Can't wait to see the VWL lobby details from that video.

I am a believer in Vicks, although I have not done too much this season, but have a little. I am sure a lot of our high winds had a hand in mine. As I have said I know Mountain Cedar is one of my downfalls, just have been lucky the past few years have been light, but this year was major and it hit me with a big punch. I drink a lot of hot tea which helps my throat, but I have to be careful of eucalyptus, that stuff makes me cough worse. My grandmother was a believer in a cup of hot water in the microwave to boiling then when it comes out put a dollup of Vicks in it and breathe the steam.

Hope all groupies have had a great weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!