VWL Groupies...yes, we love the Lodge!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looked like they were just doing a two bedroom lockoff on the fourth floor. Carpet outside the villas in that section was replaced, wallpaper in the corridor was replaced, corridor in the area was repainted (but paint was about the same). The two villas were pretty much gutted with laminate flooring put down to replace carpet in the villas.

Not sure if it was just a trial to show someone what it would look like or what.

ry%3D400

The current carpet in the corridor.

ry%3D400

The new carpet in the corridor.

ry%3D400

The area right outside the renovated villas.

ry%3D400

Inside the one bedroom villa under renovation.

ry%3D400

Current wallpaper in the corridor.

ry%3D400

New wallpaper in the corridor outside the two renovated villas. It looks like a feather pattern.

Space Mountain.....

The DL closure was from April 2003 to July 2005 (and that was actually earlier than anticipated).

The WDW closure was scheduled in terms of months (april to november of the same year), not years.

So I'm not sure how they, or anyone, could have thought they would have the time to totally redo it like DLR did.

If we just think about the rides as having the same concept and name, but WDW's version being more similar to the Matterhorn at DL, it gives a much better expectation for the experience.

Our news media folks were all excited that snow was headed our way! They did say it was an unpredictable situation... but everyone got excited anyway. But everything just fizzled out when it got near us. Lots of bummed out kids! You stay warm!!!!! Put baggies with rubber bands over your shoes! :)

DS and I went out Fri., in the snow to do an outside job. Worked out OK as it was comfortable, though a bit slushy:sad2: That need of Disney money will make you do some :crazy: things!

Glad to hear your friend got a better than expected report. Still sending up prayers

It looked like they were just doing a two bedroom lockoff on the fourth floor. Carpet outside the villas in that section was replaced, wallpaper in the corridor was replaced, corridor in the area was repainted (but paint was about the same). The two villas were pretty much gutted with laminate flooring put down to replace carpet in the villas.

Not sure if it was just a trial to show someone what it would look like or what.

ry%3D400

The current carpet in the corridor.

ry%3D400

The new carpet in the corridor.

ry%3D400

The area right outside the renovated villas.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Current wallpaper in the corridor.

ry%3D400

New wallpaper in the corridor outside the two renovated villas. It looks like a feather pattern.
The changes dont look generic as I was hoping they wouldnt do, rather it seems they stayed with the theme

I really like the look of the renovations :)

Not a huge change, more of a freshen up than a complete overhaul - seems to be keeping the same kind of theme and colors

bagsmom,
If this is going to be your only opportunity to see Wishes and MS Electric Parade, I'd go with #1. However, they were chasing guests off the train depot parade viewing area in October when we were there ? Not sure why. It was pretty crowded up there. And the boat ride going back to the VWL/WL after the parade is pretty---it was mobbed in December. We probably waiting for at least 5-6 boats before we got to ride over (so close to a 45 min wait). So my advice is to linger for at least 45 min to an hour after the fireworks before heading back. I think with EMH being at the MK park that morning, this park will be crowded. I know you said your family is not used to staying up late---but it will be a cattle call after the fireworks. Have fun.
Option #2 if you want lower crowds ?

I agree with Marie, depot is really crowded during this time, if they would allow you to eat up there, it would be really stressful, IMO. See the fireworks, see the parade, bearing in mind it will be crowded,and I agree with Marie, wait out the crowds catch a snack on the way out and people watch.

Thanks Kathy. that explains alot. I love your wiggly backside corgi in your sig line. Looks just like my 1 y/o red & white pup. lol Would you mind sharing how I could put that in my sig line too?

I want to see a picture of your Corgi. I want one so bad.......but....no more pets for us.

Hi Granny :wave: Good to see you :goodvibes

I finally pinned Mr Muush down for vacation in Dec. I'm calling tomorrow (hope it's not too late) to book
:santa::santa:Sun Dec 1 thru Fri Dec 6. Looking forward!:santa::santa:

I really like the renovations! I hope that means they are doing it to all of them. And the idea of having laminate in the villas, it's more durable, and it just feels looks upscale (to me). Maybe upscale is the wrong word? Can you tell I'm hating my carpet right now? LOL

KAT4DISNEY said:
DL installed a new track for their SM. :thumbsup2 A couple of years ago when SM went down for the long rehab the pretty well confirmed story is that they were going to do the same and then got worried over the expense and decided to just repair the existing track instead of replacing. This one is a good case of you get what you pay for IMO. My lingering love of SM still hangs on but everytime I get off it at WDW it's leaving a longer impression that it's not so great anymore. :sad1:

Space Mountain rocks! Still!!!
If your love for Space Mountain is fading that means that you have not yet ridden in a SM car with me. Did I mention Space Mountain rocks!!' Rode it like 8 times in a row one night.

I like the new carpet and wall coverings. Nice. :thumbsup2 I have never heard of them doing a mock up actually in the resort. They usually do that at the test rooms .

Nicoal13 said:
I agree, SM is rough. I do plan on taking DS on Big Thunder first and see how he does.

I don't plan on trying Everest with him, I think he would be terrified.

My family have been very, very frequent visitors to the Roller Coast capital of the world (self proclaimed but with justification), Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio and I will ride most things that go high and fast. Everest scares me. I have ridden it a couple times and that is enough. My 22 year old son on the other hand, loves it.

Found out something new when we were at WDW in October. I knew I was a little bit claustrophobic, but when it took longer than normal to disembark Rockin' Roller Coaster, I found myself hyperventilating and moving into the early stages of panic. Not a fun experience.

Bagsmom - I don't have any tried and true advice on the best plan but we do think that MSEP does add crowds to MK and so does having early entry on a day even though the early entry time itself is usually a good time to go. Anytime we've looked at the Train Station platform it's been full and/or has had a section saved for select people to view from. One thing we will do though is often take the bus between VWL and MK. I recommend just seeing how busy the boats are and if there is a line then keep walking over to the bus stop. With the buses and boats being so close to each other at MK you don't really have to commit either way until you see how it looks. :thumbsup2

ry%3D400

I personally like the pinecones in the carpet and the colors a bit better but the new one is ok. I worry about the laminate though because of sound. It causes more echoing within a villa and potentially more noise coming from above so I'm not a fan of it going into lodging places for that reason. :worried:

Space Mountain.....

The DL closure was from April 2003 to July 2005 (and that was actually earlier than anticipated).

The WDW closure was scheduled in terms of months (april to november of the same year), not years.

So I'm not sure how they, or anyone, could have thought they would have the time to totally redo it like DLR did.

If we just think about the rides as having the same concept and name, but WDW's version being more similar to the Matterhorn at DL, it gives a much better expectation for the experience.

It's not that they downgraded the refurb after they started - instead they did it before they even started. Albeit the strongest source I read of this I believe was Al Lutz. And the DL refurb required rebuilding and deepening the footings to 30' to stablize the track, I believe, which didn't seem to be needed in FL. According to the Orlando Sentinal before the refurb WDW reported to them that the track was going to be completely replaced but I think it was repaired and reinforced instead. The Matterhorn proves that replacing cars isn't enough to smooth out a ride but I don't know what effect not replacing the cars at WDW SM had.

My family have been very, very frequent visitors to the Roller Coast capital of the world (self proclaimed but with justification), Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio and I will ride most things that go high and fast. Everest scares me. I have ridden it a couple times and that is enough. My 22 year old son on the other hand, loves it.

I guess that you need to ride Everest with me! 8 times in a row one night until the brain slosh started to kick in. :lmao: Or I'll let you have my SM rides and will take your Everest. :woohoo:

I finally pinned Mr Muush down for vacation in Dec. I'm calling tomorrow (hope it's not too late) to book
:santa::santa:Sun Dec 1 thru Fri Dec 6. Looking forward!:santa::santa:

Oh!!!!! Fingers crossed, toes crossed, legs crossed. . . . let's see what else can I cross and still type!!! :lmao:

Thanks Deb & Bill for sharing pictures with us. I liked the hallways as is, but I'm ok with the changes since they are staying with a similar look. Can't wait to see a finished unit, hope they use some area rugs to soften the look of those floors.

Oh!!!!! Fingers crossed, toes crossed, legs crossed. . . . let's see what else can I cross and still type!!! :lmao:

I'll post as soon as we are secure! :goodvibes Can't wait to meet new Groupies!

How fun to read about upcoming trips! It helps take the edge off my excitement to read about everyone else's!

You know, since I've not been in the villas before, I know I will be happy with anything that is clean and new! When we check in, is it possible to say "we'd like a renovated room on a high floor?" Or something like that?

Thanks for all the input and keep it coming.

I guess I'll check all the calendars in late March and see if anything has changed. Then I'll nail down our plans.:wave2:

Sharon and Kat -- so you don't like SM because it's too rough?

Is it rougher than Big Thunder? I'm doing my little survey here so I can inform my family before we get on these things. Like I said, here at home, my son thinks he is going to be very brave, but that may change when we get there.

Different subject, same idea though -- last time we went, boys were 6 and 8. We did the 3D Bug's Life show and it RUINED them for anything else. They were terrified. Even the big one cried. They just kept saying "Mom, I want to leave. Mom, I want to go now." Sad! :worried:

After that, the younger one would do NOTHING. Not the jungle cruise, not Kali, not anything that wasn't totally visible to him. Bummer.

Today I am waiting to hear from one of my dearest friends who has been battling cancer. She gets the results of a big PET scan this morning. It seems that this will determine whether or not there is hope for survival. If you can, shoot up a prayer for her! She also has a couple of little boys and she needs to stick around and raise them!

OK -- gotta wake up my crew and start the day!
I'm an avid coaster fan, having ridden coasters around the U.S. and other attractions such as the 162-ft drop via bungee cord at Carowinds. Here's how I rate the rides at WDW:
#1: RnRC - fastest, most thrilling of all the coasters. 0-60 in under 4 seconds then it goes right into two separate 360-degree loops. My fave.
#2: EE - tough call between this and ToT, but it gets the nod due to the backward plummet. I don't find it particularly scary in any respect, but the Yeti near the end (even if you can't see it, there is virtual darkness for a couple of seconds and the loud roar of the Yeti which you can't miss) might upset those who felt A Bug's Life was too scary.
#3: ToT - love the unknown aspect since each ride is a little different. The queue might be unsettling to little kids, and the Twilight Zone music in the near dark on the trip down to the chute still makes me tingle (I watched TZ as a kid), but the ride itself is a hoot and since nothing jumps out at you makes it less threatening.
#4: Test Track - though a very non-scary ride and mostly a benevolent one, I love the acceleration around the track after you get outside. Nothing like doing 60 mph with the wind blowing through your hair!
#5: All the rest: None of the others stand out much to me as being terribly scary or particularly thrilling. Space Mtn is far bumpier to me than TMR, and the seating on the former hurts my back. Splash Mtn is pretty cool, only the seats and cushions have a very sour, sweaty smell to them from years of dampness. I tend to avoid that ride anymore. Smaller kids would enjoy the new Ariel ride in New Fantasyland. Star Tours is a real hoot with the new 3D addition and not scary at all, just bumpy. Finally, in one cautionary tale, I wouldn't recommend the Dinosaur ride in AK as the animatronic dinos in that one tend to scare people as a couple of them come right at you. My 12-yr old daughter had the bejeebers scared out of her a few years back and still won't go on it! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!