VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

DSC_0446.jpg

DSC_0449.jpg

DSC_0454_1.jpg

DSC_0458.jpg

DSC_0461.jpg

I'm certainly not disputing anybodies description of the cabin colors, but I can confirm that the colors are definitely a finish coat and, as long as the the Groupie Meet doesn't stage a coup, are intended to be final.

However, after just seeing them two days ago, I would describe the cabins I saw as being a deep maroon, a medium/dark brown, and a light beige/tan. I'm looking at them now in my photos. It's quite possible there are others that are different. I'd post my picture verifying my description, but the Dis is telling me it's too large:(

Oh, I hope you are right.... what we saw was HIDEOUS. But? It's possible that WDW is using colored primer, in a pattern.
This would vary, per cabin, in a uniform pattern. But it would also be the right way to deal with final PAINT for a row of cabins.
Interesting - because it's a LOT of work for a site this size....

Those are great shots, yet they raise even more questions and pique my curiosity. Hard to figure what some of those structures will be, and I'm still little closer to understanding the three door frames in the front of the cabins. I get the main entrance door, but those two door-like openings to the left of that entry puzzle me. They have a raised lip and seem to be sunk into the wall vice actual openings. Thoughts, anyone?

Those are great shots, yet they raise even more questions and pique my curiosity. Hard to figure what some of those structures will be, and I'm still little closer to understanding the three door frames in the front of the cabins. I get the main entrance door, but those two door-like openings to the left of that entry puzzle me. They have a raised lip and seem to be sunk into the wall vice actual openings. Thoughts, anyone?

Yea those doors are odd.

Here is another one under construction.

They look like only a foot deep?

6cfa8547-20c9-42e2-af83-82aa6dc3c0c7.jpg

Last edited:

I think the speculation that it is for some mechanical - like the Bungalows have - is most likely the explanation. I seriously hope the layout isn't more or less a copy of the Bungalows. Please show me some good imagination Disney!

(I just read a rumor that 1.5 acres of the 14 or so acres dedicated to the Star Wars expansion is being set aside for cabanas! I'm feeling very disillusioned and suspect over Disney's decision making)

Checking in from the Lodge!! The construction is really going. The only colors I have seen is a light yellow and beige. I can't see too many of the cabins, the trees and the corner of the building block my view. I hope to get a good view in the daylight soon, but Kati and I have been busy for the first day and a half. As soon as I can get some of the pictures off my phone I will post them.

As far as I can tell the workout facility if open. So far no one has been in there when I have been by, but there is nothing that says it is not open.

Checking in from the Lodge!! The construction is really going. The only colors I have seen is a light yellow and beige. I can't see too many of the cabins, the trees and the corner of the building block my view. I hope to get a good view in the daylight soon, but Kati and I have been busy for the first day and a half. As soon as I can get some of the pictures off my phone I will post them.

As far as I can tell the workout facility if open. So far no one has been in there when I have been by, but there is nothing that says it is not open.

Thanks for the report Kathy and have a great trip!

Hi Kathy! I hope you and Kati are having a blast! Thanks for your report.

...And thank you Jade for the photos! They certainly are moving right along.

I think the speculation that it is for some mechanical - like the Bungalows have - is most likely the explanation. I seriously hope the layout isn't more or less a copy of the Bungalows. Please show me some good imagination Disney!

(I just read a rumor that 1.5 acres of the 14 or so acres dedicated to the Star Wars expansion is being set aside for cabanas! I'm feeling very disillusioned and suspect over Disney's decision making)

Based on the fact that their are two doors I think that you are correct that behind door #1 will be some sort of mechanical room (fuse box) or housekeeping storage and I'm speculating that behind door #2 will be just a storage area that Disney assumes guests may put their suitcases or even a stroller. These small storage spaces look very similar to those found on row houses or town homes. They are also magnets for bugs and spiders.

Also, I believe Disney decided to put them in the location they are because, if you study the photos close enough, it sure appears that the master bathroom is located directly behind these doors; i.e. there would have been no windows there anyway for privacy purposes. This is evidenced by the natural light top justified window located on the adjacent wall. These types of windows are used almost exclusively in bathrooms or shower areas to allow natural light in but prevent others from seeing in. The major problem with this is that the current villa units are all much higher than the cabins, so it's still possible that people from the villas may have a direct view down through that window anyway:rolleyes1

I would get my lox fix in Disney at breakfast with the characters in Cape May Café . . . . . . . . . . .

Cool! Wow! We have never eaten at Cape May Café, so I never knew I could get my Lox fix there. Thanks!!!!

. . . . . . It bothers me when trained staff ignore the basics. At least the good staff far outnumbers the bad.

That is why we all keep coming back - the Good Staff far outnumber the one-per-trip staffer that was having a bad day (like us all). I never expect employees to be 100%, 100% of the time. But Disney has a higher percentage of smiles than the general population.

Zero entry, and not sure what the other framing is for. . . . . . . . .

The framing around the hot tub is definitely for the creation of boulders; Disney magic about to be done![/QUOTE]

I would not be surprised at all if this is true given they just put up those "cabanas" aka tents at MK. Anything they can do to grab a few more bucks out of your pocket they seem up for these days. Really disappointing.

Based on the fact that their are two doors I think that you are correct that behind door #1 will be some sort of mechanical room (fuse box) or housekeeping storage and I'm speculating that behind door #2 will be just a storage area that Disney assumes guests may put their suitcases or even a stroller. These small storage spaces look very similar to those found on row houses or town homes. They are also magnets for bugs and spiders.

Also, I believe Disney decided to put them in the location they are because, if you study the photos close enough, it sure appears that the master bathroom is located directly behind these doors; i.e. there would have been no windows there anyway for privacy purposes. This is evidenced by the natural light top justified window located on the adjacent wall. These types of windows are used almost exclusively in bathrooms or shower areas to allow natural light in but prevent others from seeing in. The major problem with this is that the current villa units are all much higher than the cabins, so it's still possible that people from the villas may have a direct view down through that window anyway:rolleyes1
Mechanical and/or storage rooms seem about right, perhaps even a place for a hot water heater if that's the bathroom end of the main suite (and I agree it likely is the main BR). Glad to see updates.

It's nice to hear the groupies analyzing the building process. It builds excitement for completion of this mess. :D

I'm looking at the artist rendition of the new Gyser Bar & Grill and comparing it to what I recall of the area now. There is one element that is bothering me: yellow paint on the villas which happens to match the yellow being used on the cabins in these pics. While I'm hoping the artist did this just to make the new GB&G stand out against the background, it nags on me how close these artist renditions come to the final results many times.

The siding of the Villa right now is shingled, painted brown? Is there a white area near the roof toward the pool area? I'm pretty sure there is no yellow at the moment.

Capsule and Pod hotels are cropping up at airports and Times Square etc. One with Disney flair inside theme parks isn't much of a stretch IMO.

Threads have made on where to rest or break at the parks. Some because of families with little ones, crabby dad's that hate crowds and some touring with elderly relatives.

I just hope they get creative, like maybe Star Wars Detention chambers or something, obviously need windows etc so they are bright inside, safety etc.

DetentionBlockAA23.png

starhotel_2.jpg

star-wars-hotel-m.jpg

starw.jpg

space_1.jpg

Last edited:
Jade...thanks so much for the pictures. They are very clear and helpful.

And thanks to all for the banter about the various construction aspects and those hideous (perfect descriptor [B]@Dean Marino[/B] ) colors on the cabins.

And the Great Carnac (showing my age) award goes to Sleepy for picking out those two mystery doors on the cabins at a very early construction stage. I thought for sure they would be windows. They're not particularly attractive and I'm surprised if they end up being a different color than the rest of the cabin exterior which will just call more attention to them. At this point, they look more like mini garage doors instead of blending in with the decor of the cabins.

Some times it is just hard to believe that some designer presented the concept drawings in a conference room several months ago and everyone at the table agreed that these were the very best design ever! :confused3

Some times it is just hard to believe that some designer presented the concept drawings in a conference room several months ago and everyone at the table agreed that these were the very best design ever! :confused3

Super welcome, is there a design of the cabins? I missed that.

And thanks to all for the banter about the various construction aspects and those hideous (perfect descriptor [B]@Dean Marino[/B] ) colors on the cabins.

And the Great Carnac (showing my age) award goes to Sleepy for picking out those two mystery doors on the cabins at a very early construction stage. I thought for sure they would be windows. They're not particularly attractive and I'm surprised if they end up being a different color than the rest of the cabin exterior which will just call more attention to them. At this point, they look more like mini garage doors instead of blending in with the decor of the cabins.

Leave it to me to notice something amiss (I'm one of those types who is bothered by lapses in continuity in movies among other faults). pirate: Adding my thanks to jade for the pics. I can't imagine Disney would any longer choose to create rooms that are too overtly themed outside of a few, select rooms at some value or moderate resorts. The shift seems to be toward the mundane, bland, and homogeneity. "Hey, let's throw in a Bambi pillow and call it 'woodsy!' " Then again, I can be a cynic. ;)

Hello Groupies :wave:

Well, we're back and survived. You know what was so weird to us? How much we enjoyed NOT going into the parks!

We had a great time in spite of the parks. The 3 girls with us were so good I started wondering if they were really 12, 12, and 14! Never complained. Never whined. Never asked for anything and always said thank you and smiled. Sheesh if I had known kids could be that good I may have had a few of my own! Mr Muush and I were the only ones to snag the 7 Dwarfs Train ride (early bird....) so we let the twins borrow our bands and they loved it. Thank you who ever told me to grab that first thing. Our Thanksgiving dinner for 11 worked out great. 2 villas with full kitchens next door to one another. One got really messy with prep and we just all scooted over to the clean one. Snap! Perfect!

Before everyone arrived we drove over to WL and looked for ourselves. I felt a little sick to my stomach. It looked like a missile testing zone. Ugh. I just hope that it all comes together when it is finished.

Granny, all that talk about the mixer? I brought it and left the beaters at home! So I bought mashed potatoes already mashed.

No Groupie meet yet, right? I hope it is a grand meet! Say, next year we'll be in FL on or around 12/8/17, just in case one is brewing.

DDad, (I think it was you), can I give you our secret Cape May for breakfast tip? If your reservation is the last one in the AM, (usually around 10-10:30, at least that is what it used to be), the place is nearly empty and the characters are looking to entertain. We've seen character tackle character! They are so bored they won't leave you alone! Great fun.

Have a great weekend Groupies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter