VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Did all Groupies who are AP holders get the Oct update email that mentioned the Osbourne light passholder sneak preview Nov 1-5th? The link given doesn't give any more information and others have called but not gotten anything either but I'm hopeful. It works perfectly for our trip and it's the one thing I really was sorry my group would miss out on!

Very well said Eliza & my feelings as well.

I'm sure Disney has been thinking long and hard on this tiering strategy and been holding off on it for years. What provoked them into starting it off now? We may never know, but it seems more than coincidental that the DIS stock took a dive this last month, and they sprang this on us. If anything, other than the upcoming holidays, this seems to be absolute worst time for them to have introduced the new AP plans with EPCOT, AK and DHS are all in transition and nothing new to show for it other than some signage indicating to come back later.

I feel for all the young families out there with a Disney addict mom &/or dad who were counting on raising their kids on multi Disney trips. They will survive through. There are puddles to fish in, beaches to comb, kites to fly... Disney is still a viable option if they budget well and take their time preparing for a visit every so often.

Did I mention Sequoia National Parkis at the top of my bucket list? It's time to get serious about seeing the world.
We were there about 2 years ago. Didn't have much time to spend there but what we saw was beautiful!

DLI, that is sad about about Kevin Corcoran, always Toby to me too. Sad that it seems lately we are losing several Disney Legends.

We are in the midst of making Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup(Le Cellier recipe)with the cheese we brought home from England from Cheddar Gorge. We actually went into the cave where it was made. Also, learning to drink warm beer in England, we used to always throw away the Boddingtons Pub Ale we use for the 1 cup out of a pint. No more, never knew I would like warm beer, but England made me a beer snob!

Good article about ticket price increases, if willing, take the time to read entire article. Interested to get your take on it.

Wasnt able to apply the link as its a different site, but its on Theme Park Tourist.com

It was a good article, jimmy. I'm amused at the comments following the article as most argued that it was about time those mean, ol' AP holders stopped hogging the parks and let it be available to the once-a-year folks, as well as those AP holders who never go during the blackout season so it's okay. It's the old "as long as it doesn't affect me, I don't care" mentality. I'm reminded of the old story (which I related on here a couple of months ago, I do believe) about the frog in the pot of water. Raise the temperature slowly and he'll be none the wiser until the water is boiling. Or there's the fable of the frog and the scorpion, and even though the frog knows better, he gives the scorpion a ride across the stream only to be stung mid-stream where they both will die. When he asks why to the scorpion, the answer is "because it's who I am." Both tales represent Disney to some extent. It's ironic. Disney has always wanted to maximize park attendance, and now that they have, they're going to charge more mostly to reduce numbers. The picture associated with the description of the Platinum Plus AP in the article was perfect and no accident--it's Scrooge McDuck diving into a room full of gold coins with a sign that indicates the height of the coins to be 90 feet.

Sleepy, I didnt read the responses that followed. I do agree, the mentality of it doesnt affect me, so it doesnt matter is sad. I understand the business side of the thing. Its a tough thing going up on pricing, no one likes paying more. As a business owner, even when I have no say on material price changes, I feel bad going to customers to explain price increases. Not that Disney is feeling this, not defending, just saying. I liked the article in that it looked at the other side of the coin. Doesnt make it any easier to fork out the extra dough though:sad:

Sleepy, I didnt read the responses that followed. I do agree, the mentality of it doesnt affect me, so it doesnt matter is sad. I understand the business side of the thing. Its a tough thing going up on pricing, no one likes paying more. As a business owner, even when I have no say on material price changes, I feel bad going to customers to explain price increases. Not that Disney is feeling this, not defending, just saying. I liked the article in that it looked at the other side of the coin. Doesnt make it any easier to fork out the extra dough though:sad:
Oh, I agree, JT. I'm not opposed to price increases as those are a fact of life. Having been a small business owner for a few years, I fully understand there are increasing expenses and costs that are passed along to the consumer. After having a few days to mull over the news--along with the TiW price increase--I've decided what bothers me the most is how Disney has resorted to passing along news. This particular instance has them saying how they've added benefits to the APs, which while technically true, ignores the fact that for most people the benefits do not outweigh the upcharge. When the Osborne Lights' demise was announced, it was a mere few months before the end (which in Disney planning terms is akin to the blink of an eye) and again mentioned in the tones of "we're expanding the Disney experience for our patrons"--yeah, in about 4-5 years. On top of that news, another company near and dear to me, Starbucks, announced that going forward from 30 Sep, the free birthday drink had to be redeemed within a specific 4-day timeframe--two days before through one day after the recipient's birthday. That's down from a week (though even 10 days wasn't unheard of). While that doesn't seem like much of an issue, I live 35 miles from the closest Starbucks and work each week day. If my birthday falls on a Wed or Thu, I'm out of luck unless I drive 45 minutes one way to cash in. Their response to my inquiry about the matter: "We make the reward specific to those four days so that our customer can celebrate his birthday closer to the actual day." For what it's worth, I'm sort of a DVC-style Starbucks fan--I have a gold card where I earn rewards toward a free drink or food, and I purchase so many lattes and pastries that my gold status is good through April 2017. I patronize Starbucks a lot especially given how far away I live from one of their stores.

My belabored point to all this is that I can take bad news--I'm all growed up. :crazy: What I've come to increasingly dislike--I might even say hate--is being treated as a child by these corporations. If you're going to jack up the prices, don't paint it in terms of increasing the customer experience. No, it's a price increase to cover expenses (in Disney's case, I fully believe it's to help pre-pay for their new expansions). Tell me that, let me grouse, and I'll move on. Don't tell me a perk has now been restricted so that I can celebrate my special day closer to the actual date. So, you're telling me how to enjoy my birthday now? Uh huh. No, tell me that in order to trim the costs associated with a freebie, you're restricting the time frame. Okay, I may not like it, but at least they're being upfront and honest. Mega-corporations make billions of dollars both in terms of revenue and profit to the point of it being vulgar, so being cute with your language when you decide to make me pay more so that your shareholders are happy with this financial quarter's returns insults me. That is what buggeth me abouteth all thith. ;)

Geese . . I gotta stop traveling; a quick trip to Birmingham, AL and Disney sneaks in an AP gotcha! I find it amazing that Disney considers DVC members and AP members to be expendable and a resource with whom to take economic advantage; we are a solid base of their revenues. It would be easy to get the mindset that once you've bought in, they have you and don't need to worry about losing you since a major investment (in either DVC or AP) has been made of which is not something you can choose to not use without personal lose. They count on our love for all things Disney to be bottomless. History is replete with examples of those that have had enough. And do you really think blackout periods will increase revenue, or is it just a marketing ploy to allow a substantial raise in pricing while appearing not to do so?

OK, please, don't take me too serious here . . . just sayin' . .

Hi Friends,

I have not posted for several days. Busy with life and just not taking time to join in, thus I must label myself a lurker lately. I have followed the conversation though. Some posts have gone into detail that offered a different perspective and some notions that I had not considered, which is helpful look at things differently. I also have refrained from commenting as my attitude is rather bad. So yesterday I receive an email from Disney Vacation Club; subject line "Don't miss out on today's prices-they won't be around long!" Immediately methinks that I am going to get a great deal on an extension to our APs. Perhaps 25% off for another year. OK, I did not think that for a nano second, but I was curious enough to open the mail. Turns out now's a great time to add on to my membership before the price per point rises from $165 to $168 at the Poly and Aulani on December 3.

I realize that sales and marketing are important and a necessity. I also understand that it is just email and with one mickey mouse click it goes away. However, it felt like they are poking me in the eye with this (insert foul word here). I am either banned from my home resort for two years, or forced to look at "pardon the dust" signs and wear ear plugs walking to the big pool. Annual Passes are on the rise by more than 30% for half day parks that are under construction on 5 year timelines. One can do TSM or RRC in the HS, but not both on the same day with FPs. Same story at Epcot (Test Track/Soarin'), and AK has one thrill ride (EE) - enjoy!

I should not be sarcastic though, because Disney is offering $150 savings on a $8400 purchase for 50 lousy points. Somebody in marketing should tell the sales minions to leave the VWL folks alone right now as we are not in a pleasant mood. Our little clan goes to WDW on 12/22, for nine nights. I may start cancelling some of the ADRs and push out into the real world and explore new frontiers. The problem with that is we will be associating with the unwashed masses (I'm Kidding!). Are there any IHOPs nearby? Traffic really is a brutal at that time though.

So here is the purpose of my post. We did buy a new AP late July this year (07/21), and we intend to get two trips out of it. It will be a total of 18 or 19 days of park access. Christmas trip and mid summer spanning Independence Day. So will we be subjected to any blackouts? There was nothing said about that when I bought them. I'm clear and free this year, yes?

Stupid mouse.

So here is the purpose of my post. We did buy a new AP late July this year (07/21), and we intend to get two trips out of it. It will be a total of 18 or 19 days of park access. Christmas trip and mid summer spanning Independence Day. So will we be subjected to any blackouts? There was nothing said about that when I bought them. I'm clear and free this year, yes?

Hi Greg! :)

I'm assuming that you activated your AP in late July? If so, it is not subject to any of the new AP categories or restrictions...you are good until next July as far as usage on any date.

If you bought the voucher and don't intend to activate it until December, that's where I'm fuzzy. I have to think that Disney will legally have to give you the rights that you purchased in July which would mean one year with no blackout dates. That's my best guess but I'm pretty sure that it is correct.

Stupid mouse.

If you activated that pass in late July then it just continues as it was with no blackouts. If you have a voucher for a new pass then the one positive is that per reports and a ticket person over on another thread they are activating it to the new Platinum pass that has no blackout dates and you'll get the Photopass too. The old Deluxe pass just plain old doesn't exist to sell anymore so they are at least apparently taking the high road and giving you a pass with no blackouts that matches what you bought.

What I've come to increasingly dislike--I might even say hate--is being treated as a child by these corporations. If you're going to jack up the prices, don't paint it in terms of increasing the customer experience.

Can I like this post multiple times?!?!!! That's right on Sleepy! I too am not happy about paying more but the spin - do they really think we're that naive? It's just salt in the wound.

So checking in next week for the first time!!! 1?question 2 parts.....first part of my group is driving in so I need a parking slip???? I will have their magic bands second where is the villas desk in the main lobby of in the villas if I need a pass do I get it from them?

So checking in next week for the first time!!! 1?question 2 parts.....first part of my group is driving in so I need a parking slip???? I will have their magic bands second where is the villas desk in the main lobby of in the villas if I need a pass do I get it from them?
It is in the main lobby. We have always just checked in at the same place as you would for the lodge. I would assume that is where you would get the pass but not positive cause I have never driven there.

Sleepy, now my blood is boiling, havent considered in the least how they are treating us like kids. Too much of that going on in the world as it is. We can get that form our govt. they know what is better for us than what we know is good for us. The Photopass, pass, dont want it. But the way they approach telling us about it, spot on! I think in general, they are treating the Disney faithful with a little disregard. Probably someone got paid big bucks to come up with a way to sugar coat it all.

Greg, you hit it on the head, VWL owners, we arent to be messed with right now. Now they are barking up the groupies tree too. Might be time to whoop out some Moose Dust gone bad on them:crazy2::duck::teeth:

The Villas do not have a desk in that building - everything is in the main WL lobby. The front desk there is where you get parking passes too although with MB's there have been some reports of not having paper passes. We still have always gotten them - often the guard shack used to have one for you. During my VWL stay in Sept I did not drive so am not positive if they are doing that now, going just MB scanning or pick up at the WL front desk. It will be one of those though! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter