VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

So DiznyDi and DD arrived on Sunday 7/19/15 and checked into BLT; it is the first time DiznyDi has taken the opportunity to try BLT. Monday morning DD was taken to Celebration Hospital with an apparent bowel blockage. :eek: DD has Cystic Fibrosis and a blockage can occur very quickly, can be very painful and life threatening. An ambulance was provided by Disney, along with transportation for DiznyDi back and forth each day.

DD was admitted under supervision of the surgical team with anticipation of surgery (which really is a last resort for CFers). The hospital was able to relieve her blockage without the anticipated surgery. She was released Wednesday evening, about the time of their original flight departure to come home.

In working with Southwest airlines on Monday, and not knowing how long her hospital stay would be, the most appropriate and next available direct flight to get all home was not until Sunday, 7-26-15. Southwest made all of the flight changes with no additional charges.

The Resort staff was able to accommodate DiznyDi and DD by extending the room until Sunday morning at a reduced price (no point left! Cash only!). Disney has really helped in this situation, and we really appreciate making a stressful situation easier.

DD is feeling so much better today, so with that they decided to take an easy walk over to the Magic Kingdom to enjoy the atmosphere it offers. As it turns out, DiznyDi and DD will have had three days to enjoy the magic instead of two; hard way to pay the price, but magical none the less! pixiedust:

Dad I'm so sorry to hear that but very glad it didn't end in surgery for DD. I'm not surprised that SW helped out with no fees. That's why they're my airline of choose anytime it's a city they fly to. Very happy to hear Disney stepped up as well. Keeping you all in my prayers. :hug:

Kathy - I'll definitely let you know how the river cruise is. I'm really excited about it. I've been very impressed with AMA since I learned of them at training 3 years ago. If you're on FB feel free to friend me. I'll be sharing lots of pics as we go along. I'm on Instagram too (travelwithjulie).

So DiznyDi and DD arrived on Sunday 7/19/15 and checked into BLT; it is the first time DiznyDi has taken the opportunity to try BLT. Monday morning DD was taken to Celebration Hospital with an apparent bowel blockage. :eek: DD has Cystic Fibrosis and a blockage can occur very quickly, can be very painful and life threatening. An ambulance was provided by Disney, along with transportation for DiznyDi back and forth each day.

DD was admitted under supervision of the surgical team with anticipation of surgery (which really is a last resort for CFers). The hospital was able to relieve her blockage without the anticipated surgery. She was released Wednesday evening, about the time of their original flight departure to come home.

In working with Southwest airlines on Monday, and not knowing how long her hospital stay would be, the most appropriate and next available direct flight to get all home was not until Sunday, 7-26-15. Southwest made all of the flight changes with no additional charges.

The Resort staff was able to accommodate DiznyDi and DD by extending the room until Sunday morning at a reduced price (no point left! Cash only!). Disney has really helped in this situation, and we really appreciate making a stressful situation easier.

DD is feeling so much better today, so with that they decided to take an easy walk over to the Magic Kingdom to enjoy the atmosphere it offers. As it turns out, DiznyDi and DD will have had three days to enjoy the magic instead of two; hard way to pay the price, but magical none the less! pixiedust:

Any visit to the ER is usually a painful & scary one even when one has gone through similar visits before. Glad it went as smoothly as could be expected, Di will update I'm sure. Disney magic wise: To not loose the room was a bonus, but I think their help with the transportation not just getting your daughter to the hospital, but for Di every day following was Disney magic at its best. :)

Sounds like today is a great day for them to quietly enjoy the Main street shops. I'm in love with watching the glass blowing, There is a relatively new woman working there at the start of the month, she was just learning to make vases and was very interesting to watch, not knowing if the result would be what she was aiming for. I think your daughter needs a custom made glass ornament swirled in the colors of her choice. ;)

Last edited:
DDad...very sorry to hear about your daughter's situation, but glad that it wasn't as bad as you indicate it could have been. Prayers for all of you for a quick recovery and ongoing better health.

Wow and yikes! I am very glad that things are working out okay!

@Dizny Dad Very scary, but insightful story. So glad to hear that everyone will be ok. Lots of pixie dust headed to all!

I'm curious those that are getting calls to move their December trips, how late into December are you? We come out 1/4 so I wonder if I will get a call ...

Dizny Dad - glad it worked out. Disney seems to be at it's finest in situations like these. So glad that DizzyDi and your DD got to have a trip after the fact.

I mentioned it in a previous post, but you sould contact MS and explain your conerns to them and they will consult a supervisor to provide any options. Or just ask to talk with a Supervisor yourself. FWIW, I have done this with two February 2016 reservations already.

I'm going to have to find somebody to talk to about this again so and if I learn where to call I'll let you know Julie. When I spoke to them the young man said he would take a look for options for me and wondered if I'd be around later that day for him to call back. It's been a week and so far no call. Early in the conversation he said he'd give me a number to call if I had any questions but then never did that once he said he'd call back. :(

I mentioned it in a previous post, but you sould contact MS and explain your conerns to them and they will consult a supervisor to provide any options. Or just ask to talk with a Supervisor yourself. FWIW, I have done this with two February 2016 reservations already.

I did call MS. I don't have a resolution now but hopefully I'll be speaking with someone tomorrow.

Kathy I sent you a PM.

Wow, DDad, that must have been so scary. I'm happy to hear your daughter is ok and didn't need surgery! Hugs and prayers for you all!

Add my online hugs and best wishes for Di and DD. So very glad to hear the Mouse came through for you (and Southwest). I also hope they're able to enjoy BLT for the remainder of their stay. We've stayed there twice and thoroughly enjoyed it. It doesn't have the appeal of the Lodge (which you can see from the TOWL) but is very convenient in many ways. We'll be home in Feb, so Luv may have to make a call.

Thanks to all for your kind comments, concerns, and prayers.

This is not an unusual event in DD’s life. As with each of us, we learn to handle the twists of our lives with ease that may cause others stress; we all have something to deal with. It is a forum such as this that we can share those twists with others that can relate – it is the magic we have created for each other.

Diznydi and DD spent yesterday taking the MK resort lap to all of the wonderful lobby shopping adventures. They had a good day, low key, easy going, and of course, shopping the issues away! All is good.

BTW, we have not received a phone call yet for our December trip (Dec 12-19) concerning our stay at The Lodge.

Thanks to all for your kind comments, concerns, and prayers.

This is not an unusual event in DD’s life. As with each of us, we learn to handle the twists of our lives with ease that may cause others stress; we all have something to deal with. It is a forum such as this that we can share those twists with others that can relate – it is the magic we have created for each other.

Diznydi and DD spent yesterday taking the MK resort lap to all of the wonderful lobby shopping adventures. They had a good day, low key, easy going, and of course, shopping the issues away! All is good.

BTW, we have not received a phone call yet for our December trip (Dec 12-19) concerning our stay at The Lodge.

DDad,

I have been away from groupies for few days now. I too am sorry to learn about your family's trouble. I sounds like they can face adversity without becoming overwhelmed. I have been past that hospital many times on my way to Celebration Golf Club. It looks like a very good facility. It sounds like they were in capable hands in time of emergency. Which is good to know if I ever choke on one of those turkey legs.

I received a call on Wednesday about 2:00 pm. I was driving and talking to a client when it came in, so I did not attempt to answer it. No message in voice mail. I tried to call back a few times. Once it said it was not a working number and another was a busy tone. The number on caller ID is 407.560.7315. So I guess I'm outta luck. Maybe when I get to the World they will redirect me to Art of Animation room with a single bed and a cot for my DD. That is a negative attitude. I'm probably going to be relocated to the seventh floor in the big Lodge building. So I go that going for me!

More good news...... it is Friday!

I received a call on Wednesday about 2:00 pm. I was driving and talking to a client when it came in, so I did not attempt to answer it. No message in voice mail. I tried to call back a few times. Once it said it was not a working number and another was a busy tone. The number on caller ID is 407.560.7315. So I guess I'm outta luck. Maybe when I get to the World they will redirect me to Art of Animation room with a single bed and a cot for my DD. That is a negative attitude. I'm probably going to be relocated to the seventh floor in the big Lodge building. So I go that going for me!

I would call Member Services and tell them you received a call and no message. My guess is that they can direct you to the person to talk to. It sounds like they are legitimately trying to make people happy with this, and you will want to go ahead and ask for those fast passes or other compensations that others have reported getting if they move you. Personally, I'd stay in the Lodge in a heart beat versus almost any other option.

DDad let me add my best wishes for your daughter. Even though you mention it's not an unusual event it still must be quite scary and even more difficult to have happen away from home! I'm glad she's feeling better and that it worked out for her and Di to still get to enjoy some Disney time.

Well our Dec. stay is resolved. I'm not happy about the resolution but there really wasn't much that would have made me happy except no construction at all! We've been moved to BCV. I asked for extra FPs & was denied which I won't lie really annoyed me. Those FPs don't cost Disney anything. It was the least they could have done especially considering BC is also under refurbishment.

As the saying goes it is what it is whether I'm happy about it or not. On a positive note my work week ending on an awesome note & I'm going to Europe on Sunday! It's all good.

Have a great couple of weeks groupie friends. I'll check in when I get back.

horselover have a great trip it sounds awesone.

On a different note I must be the only person trying to get back into the lodge. If you remember I got scared off early on and switched to AKL Jambo, but was busily haunting the member website trying to get back my original reservation - I now have a split stay 3 at VWL 3 at AKL. Arrive the 27th leave the 2nd - not too bad.

I was also able to make my February reservation for VWL - so I'm happy to report I'll get to be there twice more before anything too big happens. :dogdance: Just hoping the quiet pool is open for February.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter