VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Happy Birthday Maria !!!

KXMuxOH.gif

Hey guys, haven't been on for a couple of days. Sorry I hadn't PM'd you yet Sleepy, tbh I haven't figured out how to do that yet! Is the dis like other forums that require you to have made a certain number of posts before PM'ing opens up for you to use? Our next WDW trip is 11/4/15 - 11/19/15 we are staying at the lodge for the last 4 nights (15/11/ - 19/11) in a 1 bed can't wait! It's our first trip as "real" DVC owners and not as renters so we're taking my parents with us to show them how wonderful it is staying on site. As a kid we went to WDW many times but always stayed in a vacation home as my Dad isn't a massive fan of hotels, or crowds of people in general for that matter (Epcot is his favourite because of this!) I'm sure the lodge will convince him otherwise though (or at least I'm praying it does and any construction from these new cabins isn't too invasive!)

Have any of you ever taken a socio-phobe to the lodge before? He's a lovely man really he just likes his own space and peace & quiet, things he should get plenty of at WL. I'm just worried we will end up in a lock off room and crying kids in the attached studio will set him off! If anyone has any ideas or experience in placating people like this I'd much appreciate any suggestions you have!

DH and I are celebrating our 30th anniversary in September and I just scored a WL club level room with the late summer offer!!!pixiedust::yay:

Congrats Corinne! 30 years, what a wonderful way to celebrate. There's more romantic spots at the Lodge and the trails around it than the rest of WDW combined!

We were out and about nearly all day yesterday, so let me add my happiest birthday wishes, albeit belatedly, going out to Maria. Hope you had a marvelous day!

Hey guys, haven't been on for a couple of days. Sorry I hadn't PM'd you yet Sleepy, tbh I haven't figured out how to do that yet! Is the dis like other forums that require you to have made a certain number of posts before PM'ing opens up for you to use? Our next WDW trip is 11/4/15 - 11/19/15 we are staying at the lodge for the last 4 nights (15/11/ - 19/11) in a 1 bed can't wait! It's our first trip as "real" DVC owners and not as renters so we're taking my parents with us to show them how wonderful it is staying on site. As a kid we went to WDW many times but always stayed in a vacation home as my Dad isn't a massive fan of hotels, or crowds of people in general for that matter (Epcot is his favourite because of this!) I'm sure the lodge will convince him otherwise though (or at least I'm praying it does and any construction from these new cabins isn't too invasive!)

Have any of you ever taken a socio-phobe to the lodge before? He's a lovely man really he just likes his own space and peace & quiet, things he should get plenty of at WL. I'm just worried we will end up in a lock off room and crying kids in the attached studio will set him off! If anyone has any ideas or experience in placating people like this I'd much appreciate any suggestions you have!
I believe you are correct about the PM issue, that you need a certain number of posts first before you can use that feature. I should amend my standard comments to include that one needn't wait to PM me--if you have dates needing to be added, you can post on the main thread in the course of our daily discussions. There is a slight possibility I might miss the updates if I'm just skimming (as I often do prior to going off to work), but I'm usually fairly good about catching such things. Anyway, I have updated the Trip calendar with the info you've given me. If you'll let me know where you're staying the first week and a half, I'll complete the entry. :thumbsup2

Happy weekend groupies! I've been MIA because it's taken my the week to get over those construction pictures. :sad2: Still holding out some hope it won't be as bad as it looks.

Happy belated birthday Maria! :bday: At least I caught you on FB on the actual day.

Missing Disney already even though it is getting to be too hot for me down there. Super fun trips make you miss it even more. It was great seeing so many groupie friends. :grouphug:

DH is back from his trip to CA. Today was the first time we've seen each other in 12 days. He had a good time. He saw a spiny lizard which I guess is kind of a big deal according to the people that ran the expedition. I'll take their word on it. :laughing:

Enjoy the rest of the holiday weekend all!

Hope all are enjoying this weekend, and taking some time to remember the reason for the holiday. :)

I saw posted somewhere that construction on the WL bungalows could start as early as September? We have a trip planned for the last half of September at VWL and I was hoping that we could get at least one more trip in before they start the construction and major changes.

At this point, I'm thinking I may actually request a road side villa so we don't have to watch construction. Hard to say but it is hard to fathom what VWL will be like when the dust settles. :confused3

Good afternoon, everyone. I haven't had many chances to keep up with the thread. As I mentioned several weeks back, my mother has been going through significant medical issues. On May 5th, Mama passed away after a 6 month battle with lung cancer. She was a great lady, raising my sister and me as a single parent, and we'll miss her terribly - but we were blessed to have her, and will look forward to seeing her again one day.

Over the course of our last day with Mama, I was looking for a small cup in her kitchen to help her drink with a straw. As I rummaged through her cups and glasses, I noticed something wrapped in plastic - a Wilderness Lodge Resort Mug, brand new, that she must've bought for me on eBay. She was an amazingly thoughtful person to her kids and grandkids. It is one of many prized possessions that I will use often to think of her and the love she shared with us.

In the aftermath of her passing, our family has decided to move ahead with our planned WDW vacation in early October, and we're going to do all we can to stay at WL. I'd like to try renting points again, but have found that the VWL has no 1BR or Studio availability for our vacation days (October 3-9). Could anyone give me any advice on whether we should continue to try to rent points in the hope that there will be a cancellation, or should we book a room at WL - or, find some other options for lodging? Thanks for your help.

benjyt...So sorry to hear of your Mother's passing. Prayers going up in support of you and your family at this time of grief. Great to hear that you have so many wonderful memories of her.

As for the October trip, that is a very busy time for all of DVC since it is the Food & Wine Festival time. It will be challenging to book almost any DVC resort at that time using points with the possible exceptions of Saratoga Springs Resort or Animal Kingdom Villas. I think my advice would be to try to book something with cash...hopefully you can find a discount or code out there somewhere. Best wishes to you in your search for another family trip full of memories. :)

Good afternoon, everyone. I haven't had many chances to keep up with the thread. As I mentioned several weeks back, my mother has been going through significant medical issues. On May 5th, Mama passed away after a 6 month battle with lung cancer. She was a great lady, raising my sister and me as a single parent, and we'll miss her terribly - but we were blessed to have her, and will look forward to seeing her again one day.

Over the course of our last day with Mama, I was looking for a small cup in her kitchen to help her drink with a straw. As I rummaged through her cups and glasses, I noticed something wrapped in plastic - a Wilderness Lodge Resort Mug, brand new, that she must've bought for me on eBay. She was an amazingly thoughtful person to her kids and grandkids. It is one of many prized possessions that I will use often to think of her and the love she shared with us.

In the aftermath of her passing, our family has decided to move ahead with our planned WDW vacation in early October, and we're going to do all we can to stay at WL. I'd like to try renting points again, but have found that the VWL has no 1BR or Studio availability for our vacation days (October 3-9). Could anyone give me any advice on whether we should continue to try to rent points in the hope that there will be a cancellation, or should we book a room at WL - or, find some other options for lodging? Thanks for your help.

You have my deepest sympathy, and I am very sorry for your loss. I pray that you will soon have some peace about her passing and that your memories of your mama bring you some happiness. May your coming trip help you overcome some of your grief.

I know of a woman who has points that she rents quite regularly. I used her points as a test run before purchasing DVC on resale. She was very professional and I would trust her with a friend in a transaction renting points. Also, she is an owner at VWL so you would be able to assist in room requests when checking you in on-line ahead of time. If you like, I will dig up some old email and share her address with you. Just ask and I'll get on it.

In regards to availability, I don't know what you can do but get on a wait list. Otherwise you would have to book a room CRO. Which isn't bad, but it would two queens in the standard hotel room. Unless you upgrade to the upper floors. Something I have always wanted to do, but could never justify parting ways with that many Ben Franklin(s), if you know what I mean. The courtyard/pool view is wonderful and you'll probably be able to see Bay Lake too. Beyond that, it is Wilderness Lodge and everyone here is pretty biased about going to another resort. I am fairly certain that you will love it no matter which building you are in. WL is the only resort I have stayed at. Others here can advise you on what the second best resort would be.

I wish you the very best in planning this trip. God's peace be with you and your family.

My deepest sympathy to you on the passing of your mother. :hug:

I have to agree with the others that getting VWL in Oct is going to be difficult. Probably impossible to do via renting points. The last 3 months of the year are incredibly popular with owners and what was available at 7 months - which wasn't much - was snatched up pretty quickly then. Your best options are either to rent thru CRO - and I wouldn't be surprised if you could get either WL or VWL that way since it's a different inventory, or to rent points to stay at another location which will likely be SSR or perhaps AKV.

So while I am hoping that the cabins never happen, if DVC were to step up the game and theme them like the Big Thunder Suite at DLH then I might have to try one.
tbr000999SMALL.jpg

WOW! Stone columns and walls. I'd be soaking in that tub after golf and Mt. Everest tore up my back. That is totally excellent. A real wood burning fireplace too? Probably too many Ben Franklin(s) again.

Thanks SO MUCH to everyone for the birthday wishes (Corinne, Jimmytammy, Twinklebug, DiznyDi, Kat4Disney, Granny & Sleepydog)! You guys put a smile on my face and loved the FB messages too! This has been a great weekend so far......my birthday, anniversary and awesome weather----and I have the 3 day stretch off from work! I am touched that you all remembered me despite the busy holiday weekend with your family and friends and the official kickoff to the SUMMER (my fav season!!!!).

Kathy...that arial view of WDW from the plane is too cool! Corinne.....30 years! How wonderful you got a club level room! I must say, that Big Thunder sweet is fantastic. Love the tub!

Benjyt....my sincere condolences on your loss. May you hold the love you shared together close in heart.

benjyt
I am so sorry for your loss. We will pray for you in the coming days that peace will be with you and the memories will make you smile.

I agree with others here on VWL. Your best bet for snagging anything at this time for Oct. will be AKL(which is a close cousin to VWL)or SSR. We like both, theming, AKL is not too far removed from VWL, same architect designed it. Both are way bigger than VWL for sure, but both have very nice amenities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter