VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

I am reserving having opinions on this issue until I have some questions answered.

1. Will there be a beach area or equivalent where those who stay at Wilderness Lodge / VWL, and who are not staying in a Bungalow, can go to relax as before and view the Electrical Water Pageant?
2. Will the geyser still exist?
3. Will the wilderness theme be maintained in the area of the Bungalows? How can it be?
4. Will the peace and tranquility that Wilderness Lodge provides be preserved?
5. Will the main lodge area / lobby area be redesigned / redecorated like it was at the Polynesian? (Oh, I hope not.)

Right now, I am afraid. I am afraid that the Wilderness Lodge / Villas that I know and love will loose its peace, tranquility and character. I just hope that doesn't happen.

I'm betting those cabins will have similar point costs like the PVB bungalows. Not good for existing owners.

I'm going to be emailing DVC too Jimmy. I have no doubt my thoughts will fall on deaf ears but that doesn't mean I shouldn't make my concerns known. Do we know when construction is scheduled to start? I'm thinking we will not be doing Christmas at the Lodge in 2016. :sad2: I'm wondering if this year's trip will be affected as well? I haven't purchased our airfare down yet. Maybe I should be reconsidering our trip now.
Agree with the point costs on the cabins. As for construction date, I've heard this September to commence and ending sometime in 2017. Truthfully, this is speculation but that would fit the same pattern and long-term construction time frame still going on at Poly. As Granny alludes, this is a first world problem to be sure, and while I'm not so sanguine about me calming down anytime in the next week, I'm sure as time passes, I'll deal with it more maturely. . .'cause that is so me. pirate:

Agree with the point costs on the cabins. As for construction date, I've heard this September to commence and ending sometime in 2017. Truthfully, this is speculation but that would fit the same pattern and long-term construction time frame still going on at Poly. As Granny alludes, this is a first world problem to be sure, and while I'm not so sanguine about me calming down anytime in the next week, I'm sure as time passes, I'll deal with it more maturely. . .'cause that is so me. pirate:

By dealing with it more maturely, do you mean we'll be getting in theme with the cabins and passing the jug of moonshine? Enough of that and I'm sure we won't care what Disney does.
bottoms-up.gif

One addition I'd like to see: we still don't know what the second building by the new pool will be. If they add a QS to the pool, it needs rockers... And no bees (a huge issue with the bar at Kidani)

By dealing with it more maturely, do you mean we'll be getting in theme with the cabins and passing the jug of moonshine? Enough of that and I'm sure we won't care what Disney does.
bottoms-up.gif

One addition I'd like to see: we still don't know what the second building by the new pool will be. If they add a QS to the pool, it needs rockers... And no bees (a huge issue with the bar at Kidani)

Pass the moonshine! :laughing: :drinking1

. . . . I love that the current HS pool feels hidden. . . . . .

. . . . . . The best quiet pool on property gone. . . . . .

The DVC Pool at AK, although designated as a DVC member pool, still has the cruise ship guy pounding the disco tunes all afternoon; no quiet pool there! Hope that is not what we get!

Pass the moonshine! :laughing: :drinking1

Yeah, we all might need to take a turn . . . chug-a-lug, chug-a-lug; makes you want to holler hi-de-ho; burns your tummy now don'tcha know? chug-a-lug, chug-a-lug . . . . .

bottoms-up.gif

Now you're talking!!!

4837452059_ff3a1188ba.jpg

party_moose.jpg

And Sleepy, I'm really not all that mature. :)

Attachments

• upload_2015-5-18_16-1-56.jpeg
    upload_2015-5-18_16-1-56.jpeg
    5.6 KB · Views: 1

Twinks, I'm with you on the chug-a-lug. I'm chu--umm--sipping a lovely Pinotage I used to sell in my shop a few years back. I'm up to moonshine, as well. I've heard they have such a concoction in these here parts. :rolleyes1

Granny, neither am I. Ask Luv.

Too funny Granny!
Jimmy....loved seeing your trip photos!
DVC Mike, thank you for all the detailed info on the cabin plans for WL/VWL. I'm not happy about it though......I am trying to imagine it built up like it showed on the map and I'm not liking the vision in my head :(

WOW, Rich told me I needed to come here to find out what all the buzz was about. What a disappointment! Needless to say I feel the same as all previous views expressed. No need to re-hash and make my blood boil. I'm sad....

JT, Corinne, Julie, Liz and Will, Kathy - hope I didn't leave anyone out - so very nice you were able to get together, spend some time and re-new acquaintances. So sorry we missed you! I'll have to do better planning next year. I've enjoyed seeing the photos. Thanks for taking the time to post the updates. I'm still trying to figure the picture thing out.

Happy Anniversary JT! No better place to celebrate than at WDW!

Before I start, more pics will be coming soon, tech challenged Jimmy is getting help.

Moonshine...mmmmm, the enterpriser in me is coming out, Moose Moonshine has ring to it

We have a had a great time so far(only fly in the ointment, the WL/VWL news, no ones fault, thanks for the news, just the way it makes me feel). Had a great time with Will and Liz when we could be with them, great planned groupie meets with Will, Liz, Corinne, horselover and KAT4DISNEY as well as unplanned, sporadic meets, like Julie joining us at 50s lounge(just happened to be a seat beside us), KAT4DISNEY and our FP times being on cue at MK last night, and a chance, luck of the draw meet with cheer4bison as we got off the boat a few minutes ago at Contemporary, and there she was! Love me some groupies, but I bet KAT4DISNEY and her DH think I talk too much(sorry for the excitement folks:hyper2:)

We got up early this AM(which we never do here at WDW)to do the Train Tour. It was great and highly recommend it! If you like history and get sentimental when Walt comes to mind, do the tour, if you just like trains, do it, if you dont really care, do it:duck::teeth:

If I shared this before, sorry. On jet ski tour we learned that Wishes cost a whopping 235K every night! To top that off, I was told by a CM who is in management, is a mutual friend of a friend who I wont name, this was off the cuff. The CM told me that transfer trucks roll in everyday at MK loaded with fireworks from Calif. and those are typically the ones used that same night. They are manufactured in Calif is reason thats where they come from. So Casey and I had to put this in perspective. We calculated that at least 6 series of trucks has to be rolling all the time to make this happen. These folks probably wave at each other passing east to west in those trucks. Takes 3 days at least to make that trek. Now thats dedication to detail:worship: I am sure they have some in storage for the just in case but that just baffles my mind, makes me again appreciate all the detail, behind the scenes work that goes on to keep guests happy.

Last edited:
Before I start, more pics will be coming soon, tech challenged Jimmy is getting help.

Moonshine...mmmmm, the enterpriser in me is coming out, Moose Moonshine has ring to it

We have a had a great time so far(only fly in the ointment, the WL/VWL news, no ones fault, thanks for the news, just the way it makes me feel). Had a great time with Will and Liz when we could be with them, great planned groupie meets with Will, Liz, Corinne, horselover and KAT4DISNEY as well as unplanned, sporadic meets, like Julie joining us at 50s lounge(just happened to be a seat beside us), KAT4DISNEY and our FP times being on cue at MK last night, and a chance, luck of the draw meet with cheer4bison as we got off the boat a few minutes ago at Contemporary, and there she was! Love me some groupies, but I bet KAT4DISNEY and her DH think I talk too much(sorry for the excitement folks:hyper2:)

We got up early this AM(which we never do here at WDW)to do the Train Tour. It was great and highly recommend it! If you like history and get sentimental when Walt comes to mind, do the tour, if you just like trains, do it, if you dont really care, do it:duck::teeth:

If I shared this before, sorry. On jet ski tour we learned that Wishes cost a whopping 235K every night! To top that off, I was told by a CM who is in management, is a mutual friend of a friend who I wont name, this was off the cuff. The CM told me that transfer trucks roll in everyday at MK loaded with fireworks from Calif. and those are typically the ones used that same night. They are manufactured in Calif is reason thats where they come from. So Casey and I had to put this in perspective. We calculated that at least 6 series of trucks has to be rolling all the time to make this happen. These folks probably wave at each other passing east to west in those trucks. Takes 3 days at least to make that trek. Now thats dedication to detail:worship: I am sure they have some in storage for the just in case but that just baffles my mind, makes me again appreciate all the detail, behind the scenes work that goes on to keep guests happy.
What is the train tour?

Now you're talking!!!

4837452059_ff3a1188ba.jpg

party_moose.jpg

And Sleepy, I'm really not all that mature. :)

LOL. oh thank God, I need some one to commiserate with me as I kick and scream while rolling around on the floor.

Now, I'll totally wear the resistance hat. first, I guess at my age there are really very few places that I can say without a doubt that I love, like the lodge,
so I get really, really worried when they suggest altering it. Next, I gotta say the Polynesian redo doesn't actually float my boat. I know they aren't remodeling the lobby (or I'd really be a roaring alcoholic ) but the poly just seems so generic now.

My concerns echo those of WD.

The Disney filing on the Wilderness Lodge has a marking for "View to Fireworks".

Do you really think some cabins might have a view of the nightly fireworks?

Looking at the diagram below, if Disney doesn’t leave many trees in front of some of the cabins, a fireworks view might be possible.

However, the island in front of the cabins, and perhaps the Contemporary Resort might restrict some views.

What do you think?

http://i235.*************************************MK_Fireworks.jpg

The Disney filing on the Wilderness Lodge has a marking for "View to Fireworks".

Looking at the diagram below, if Disney doesn’t leave many trees in front of some of the cabins, a fireworks view might be possible.

Firstly, Hi everyone! I can't believe it has taken me this long to find this thread but I'm so glad I did! Like minded people finally! Myself and DW stayed at the lodge last Dec and came home DVC members as a consequence! It's just about the closest place I've ever found to my idea of heaven!

To answer your question about the view, I was wondering myself so I put together a very crude virtual reality view using Google Earth so everyone can see the potential views for the cabins, if you want to check it out the link is:

On the plus side you definitely still have the feeling of being in the wilderness with all the trees in close proximity but it doesn't look like there will be any firework watching going on.

I have soooo many questions for all you knowledgable lodge folk but il wait for the cabin histeria to die down a bit first! Lovely to meet you all!

pirate:
Firstly, Hi everyone! I can't believe it has taken me this long to find this thread but I'm so glad I did! Like minded people finally! Myself and DW stayed at the lodge last Dec and came home DVC members as a consequence! It's just about the closest place I've ever found to my idea of heaven!

To answer your question about the view, I was wondering myself so I put together a very crude virtual reality view using Google Earth so everyone can see the potential views for the cabins, if you want to check it out the link is:

On the plus side you definitely still have the feeling of being in the wilderness with all the trees in close proximity but it doesn't look like there will be any firework watching going on.

I have soooo many questions for all you knowledgable lodge folk but il wait for the cabin histeria to die down a bit first! Lovely to meet you all!
Welcome, lawsy5! (And a welcome to all those who have joined in our commis-, er, conversation regarding the Lodge. I apologize for not having acknowledged others before, but the shock of the news about the Lodge construction temporarily blinded my good manners.) We welcome you and your DW (and the others) to the friendliest spot on the DIS. Here, you will find like minds who share one major commonality--a love of the Lodge--and who have grown to call each other friends. We are glad all of you found your way here, and we hope you'll join in with stories, questions, pictures, and your own life histories. If you've not discovered so yet, on Page 1 we keep a list of dates that Groupies will be visiting the World or cruising, and we also keep track of birthdays and anniversaries for those who are brave enough to post such things. Should you desire to join these lists, please PM me for travel dates and locations; for birthdays and anniversaries, jimmytammy is the person to PM. Again, welcome to the Groupies, one and all! As we often say, pull up a rocker, grab your favorite libation, and sit a spell (spittoon optional). Cheers! pirate:

Thanks Sleepy, I'll pm those dates to you now! I know everyone is a little down about the discovery of these plans but I just can't help but think of all the great things that could come out of it, maybe I'm a naive new DVC owner but I can't help but think new development means nice new facilities and more room options for all of us provided they include existing owners in the new rooms in the lodge and the cabins

However, the island in front of the cabins, and perhaps the Contemporary Resort might restrict some views.

What do you think?

http://i235.*************************************MK_Fireworks.jpg

You don't want to hear my opinion as it's not optimistic at all: I think they're planning on chopping down the trees on that island so they can make those cabins worth more points as fireworks views. :(

You don't want to hear my opinion as it's not optimistic at all: I think they're planning on chopping down the trees on that island so they can make those cabins worth more points as fireworks views. :(

twinklebug...I was going to "like" your post, but then I realized that I really don't like it....I just agree with it! :(

DVC Mike...again, thanks for the awesome graphics. They really do help frame the conversation. I do think that Contemporary/BLT will block some of the views of the fireworks. I think the eastern bank of bungalows (near the marina) will have a better shot at a decent view but still probably won't equal any of the monorail resorts views.

Honestly, the fact that we don't see Wishes or anything in any of the parks is part of what we love about WL/VWL. The seclusion is part of the theming. If they just want to create theater seating for Wishes, I'm sure they'll find some giddy buyers. But the Lodge seems to be heading down a path of "me too-ism". As I said before, if I worked for Disney and my job description said "make more money from DVC" then I'd probably be thinking this is a good idea.

It will certainly be interesting to watch where this goes. Now please pass that jug of moonshine!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter