VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

. . . . . .And the walk to/from Fort Wilderness really is a hidden gem for that area. If you walk to FW and don't want to walk back you can always go hop a boat that will take you back to WL. . . . . . . . .

. . . . . I heard there are black panthers in the woodsy areas in and around WDW, . . . . . . . . o_O

Granny - You are so right! the walking trail from VWL to FW is a hidden Gem! DiznyDi & I love the early morning walks (~7:30) to FW. There is always wildlife to experience. There certainly are always dear that are so close you could almost touch them; once DiznyDi & I counted 23 deer on one walk. There was also the Bob-Cat that ran across the trail right in front of us that startled us as we had no idea Florida had any of those (Wow Jimmy, glad it wasn't a Panther - Geeze Louise). But be sure to keep your eyes peeled for the biggest danger when on the trail; every morning the street sweeper makes its way along the path (Disney has it all covered!) I have a picture somewhere of it on the path; but like so many things, I just can't put my fingers on it: so many Disney Trips, so many photos to run through. I'll keep looking and post it where found.

Granny - You are so right! the walking trail from VWL to FW is a hidden Gem! DiznyDi & I love the early morning walks (~7:30) to FW. There is always wildlife to experience. There certainly are always dear that are so close you could almost touch them; once DiznyDi & I counted 23 deer on one walk. There was also the Bob-Cat that ran across the trail right in front of us that startled us as we had no idea Florida had any of those (Wow Jimmy, glad it wasn't a Panther - Geeze Louise). But be sure to keep your eyes peeled for the biggest danger when on the trail; every morning the street sweeper makes its way along the path (Disney has it all covered!) I have a picture somewhere of it on the path; but like so many things, I just can't put my fingers on it: so many Disney Trips, so many photos to run through. I'll keep looking and post it where found.
I love the wildlife, too. I've seen deer (lots of them, though not 23 at once), turtles, all manners of varmints (rabbits, mice, etc.), and my all-time favorite, a hawk sitting on the ground with prey in its talons. I got within 10 feet before it winged away.

I love the wildlife, too. I've seen deer (lots of them, though not 23 at once), turtles, all manners of varmints (rabbits, mice, etc.), and my all-time favorite, a hawk sitting on the ground with prey in its talons. I got within 10 feet before it winged away.
Okay, I have to be honest. In my many walks along the trail (both the one by the lake that Sleepy prefers and the paved path), I've only been able to spot one deer. No hawks, no turtles, but lots of rabbits. Not sure my eyes are good enough to spot mice unless they are crossing the path! :)

Maybe it's because I don't tend to go on the walk until 8 or 9 a.m. in the morning? Still, I really enjoy the walk, the serenity and the immersion in nature. :thumbsup2

Speaking of wildlife along the path, we encountered 3 deer one morning that we could have touched by just stepping off the path. They didnt spook easy, as they meandered around, it was so cool. Another close encounter wildlife spotting was actually at the Lodge. We were on the walk back from the main lodge to the villas once pretty late, and an armadillo was meandering around the bushes on the edge of the path close to the welcome home Mickey. He dint seem bothered by us and we got some very close pics.

On occasion, we have seen alligators in the ponds at WDW, and T and the kids once saw the infamous one at Splash Mt. while we were on the ride. CMs were out there trying to get him to go back from where he came.

And I love to tell this story, promise, the last one:crazy2: My DD and I were looking frantically between DtD and BWV to find T a specific gift. As we are leaving the BWV guest lot, we see a king snake slithering across the parking lot, so we stop to let him pass into the bushes, no harm, no foul. But as we are seeing this, we also see a lady just bee bopping on foot right into the direction of the path of the snake. She is on the phone and I am waving my arm out the window doing my best to flag her down, hollering at her at the top of my lungs, snake, snake!! She fails to notice me(most ladies do:tilt:)so lets just say she screamed bloody murder and jumped out of her skin:scared:. I triedo_O At least we were there for the fallout if needed

:wave2: TUESDAY MORNING TRIVIA
I.
While visiting MK check out the large oak tree across from the Hall of presidents in Liberty square. You'll notice 13 lanterns hanging from the tree. the lanterns represent the first 13 colonies of the United States. this large oak named the "liberty tree" commemorates the communal meeting place of the Sons of Liberty who in 1765 protested the imposition of the Stamp Act.

II.
"Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas". our favorite saying, lol. was voiced by Jack Wagner, lovingly known as the "voice of Disney". Jack also voiced a few other attractions at the world including the WEDway People mover (now the tomorrowland transit authority, which is one of my favorites), Space Mountain, and the introduction to Mickey's very merry Christmas Parade.

Have a great day gang,

And I love to tell this story, promise, the last one:crazy2: My DD and I were looking frantically between DtD and BWV to find T a specific gift. As we are leaving the BWV guest lot, we see a king snake slithering across the parking lot, so we stop to let him pass into the bushes, no harm, no foul. But as we are seeing this, we also see a lady just bee bopping on foot right into the direction of the path of the snake. She is on the phone and I am waving my arm out the window doing my best to flag her down, hollering at her at the top of my lungs, snake, snake!! She fails to notice me(most ladies do:tilt:)so lets just say she screamed bloody murder and jumped out of her skin:scared:. I triedo_O At least we were there for the fallout if needed

Which leads me to embarrassing snake story number two. LOL. I'm a research scientist by trade and when I first started out after college my first job was in an oil refinery working for BP. well since I was low man on the totem pole, I had the really crappy hours mainly 11-7am.
Most refineries need a large amount of water to operate so they tend to be located near some natural water source.
One night coming out of the lab, I encounter what I thought was a large, lethal python.

Thamnophis_marcianus.jpg

Ok remember I'm fresh outta NYC, roaches yes, snakes no.

Naturally I scream bloody murder, then proceed to go back into the lab and get fully suited up in my hazmat suit.
hazmat_aust02.jpg

Armed with squirt bottles of acetone to destroy Godzilla

. . . . . . . She fails to notice me(most ladies do:tilt:). . . . . . . . .

You're only sayin' that 'cause Tammy is reading this thread. I personally have watched the ladies' heads turn as you cruise across the deck while enjoying the fireworks at TOTWL. :hyper::confused3

Unfortunately, it's still just a rumor. That permit was filed last Wednesday and there are two threads that menioned it here on the Dis that have gained no traction. Hopefully, we'll have some facts soon. Until then, we're only relying on the rumor started by Spirit. I am intrigued by the 2017 permit expiration though.

ziravan said:
So. VWL is going to be the next DVC project, as rumored:

Unfortunately, it's still just a rumor. That permit was filed last Wednesday and there are two threads that menioned it here on the Dis that have gained no traction. Hopefully, we'll have some facts soon. Until then, we're only relying on the rumor started by Spirit. I am intrigued by the 2017 permit expiration though.

Yes, we've kicked that rumor around a little on this thread. It is an intriguing rumor and not out of the question by any means. I would have to wonder what they would do with the new points coming on line that would be sor sale. Would they create a second expiration date from the rest of VWL (expires 2042) so they could sell them better? Or would they just line them up with VWL expiration date and sell off a bunch of 27 year right to use contracts? Seems like that would be a tough sell when they are selling 50 year contracts elsewhere, unless the price was significantly lower.

It will be interesting...stay tuned! :)

It's possible it's for WL room conversions but until DVC announces something
Which leads me to embarrassing snake story number two. LOL. I'm a research scientist by trade and when I first started out after college my first job was in an oil refinery working for BP. well since I was low man on the totem pole, I had the really crappy hours mainly 11-7am.
Most refineries need a large amount of water to operate so they tend to be located near some natural water source.
One night coming out of the lab, I encounter what I thought was a large, lethal python.
Ok remember I'm fresh outta NYC, roaches yes, snakes no.

Naturally I scream bloody murder, then proceed to go back into the lab and get fully suited up in my hazmat suit.
Armed with squirt bottles of acetone to destroy Godzilla

:scared::scared::scared:

And just leaving us hanging Eliza!

I feel for the lady in the parking lot Jimmy! My story is that I was driving from MN to NV and had stopped at a rest stop in Idaho that had a rock that had been used by settlers to carve their names on. I had walked down to see it and was walking back thru the black top parking lot, in my birkenstocks - and still looking around. I noticed out of the corner of my eye a large branch on the road. When I went to step over it my bare toe in my birkenstock sandles clipped something soft! :scared1: I had erroneously thought a bull snake was a stick!!!!!! I screamed and jumped and the few people up the hill who were having picnics were probably very amused. Considering the Rattlesnakes that frequent much of the west I was happy it was a big fat bull snake but I don't think my heart stopped racing until I was several miles away from there.

I agree Granny, and why I'm watching it closely. I would think they would have to offer an extension to current owners, but with the OKW "issue" as a datapoint, they would have to put a lot more thought into this one!

:wave2: TUESDAY MORNING TRIVIA
I.
While visiting MK check out the large oak tree across from the Hall of presidents in Liberty square. You'll notice 13 lanterns hanging from the tree. the lanterns represent the first 13 colonies of the United States. this large oak named the "liberty tree" commemorates the communal meeting place of the Sons of Liberty who in 1765 protested the imposition of the Stamp Act.

This is one of my favorite pieces of trivia at WDW. That tree is the oldest living thing found in WDW being more than 130 years old. The plaque beneath the tree proclaims:

Under the Boughs of the original Liberty Tree in Boston in 1765, Patriots calling themselves "The Sons of Liberty" gathered to protest the imposition called the Stamp Act. In the years that followed almost every American town had a Liberty Tree - A Living symbol of the American Freedom of Speech and Assembly. Our Liberty Tree is a Southern Live Oak Quercus Virginiana more than 100 Years Old.
And to give you an idea of how Disney doesn't always take the easy way to doing something, here's a little blurb I found about that tree's origin:

The live Southern Oak that serves as the centerpiece for Liberty Square was found on property about six miles away and was moved to it's current location during the Park's construction. Because it was such a large tree, and they wanted to do as little damage as possible a unique plan was devises. In order to move such a large tree two holes were drilled into the trunk and rods were inserted. The moving team was then able to lift the 38 ton tree using the rods and 100-ton crane. The tree arrived safely and the holes were plugged with the original wood that had been removed.

However at some point the wood had become contaminated, the tree was infected and began to rot. Disney's expert horticulturists would save the tree by drilling out the infected areas and filling the holes with cement. To add support to the tree a young southern oak was grafted to the bottom of the original tree.

Cool stuff indeed. :)

Ha ha eliza! Love the Hazmat suit!!!! And what became of the snake?? And very cool about the tree in Liberty Square. We just learned all about it in Feb when my husband and I were purchasing some gifts in the Christmas store. As soon as the CM found out we were from Phila, he let us in on that trivia. Very cool.

My experiences with critters is swimming in the WL pool with ducks......someone years ago posted a very funny pic of me in the pool with the caption, "the WL duck whisperer". Wish I could find it.
We have also ran across bull frogs.....armadillo, deer........one time we stayed at VWL in the very last room at the end of the hall (maybe 4th floor??). We had a family of deer sleep under our balcony. Tried to take pics but it is so dark there at night it didn't come out.

As for the rumor, we would def consider buying points if they sold contracts with extended expiration. We LOVE the VWL, but my husband can't wrap his mind around the expiration date so if we add-on, he will probably choose a later contract expiration. So come on DVC! Tell me something good!

Welcome to the groupies ziravan and FriendlyAdvice2!!!!
Eliza, you have some great trivia! I love it, as always, share when you have time. I have tried on occasion to see if I can find an acorn from the Liberty Tree, but to no avail. I told Tammy I bet they pick that place clean every AM before opening to assure some "nut":crazy: like me isnt out there acquiring acorns. And love the story about the snake too. I was standing in our kitchen, lights dim around 10pm a few years back, and looked down at my bare feet to see a snake between my feet:scared: T got a shovel while I tried to corner him but he slipped into our duct work. We closed off every duct in the house and for weeks after, T made me walk into the kitchen to check under every nook and cranny. We were already in the process of changing the HVAC so it all worked itself out, but those experiences, like yours, are a little too close for comfort IMO

DiznyDad, you are very kind in your words to say the ladies eyes are following me, but I would say its more of a look of "whos the guy with the Goofy mask" kind of look:P But you pumped my ego up anyway:cloud9:Thanks!

Last edited:
Yall check this out!! Reason now for us Groupies to be excited!!
As reported on WDWMagic, Disney has confirmed plans to expand the Disney Vacation Club footprint at the Wilderness Lodge resort.

Yesterday, the construction permits that DVC filed with Orange County were made public, and this morning, DVC has issued a rare press release officially announcing the expansion of DVC at the WL.

The press release continues:

Unlike the expansion at Disney’s Polynesian Village, DVC said this expansion would not involve the conversion of any hotel rooms into DVC units.

Instead, five new freestanding structures will be built along the Shore of Bay Lake. Each structure will each contain five deluxe studios, for a total of 25 units.

http://i235.*************************************WLTeepees.png​

Each studio will sleep up to five guests on cots with sleeping bags. Communal restrooms and hot showers will be provided a short walk away. In order to maintain the rustic theme, such facilities will not be located within each structure. Electrical outlets and lighting will be provided for a true “glamping” experience. Potable water will be just a short walk away.

http://i235.*************************************WLTeePeeVillasPhoto.jpg

Each unit will be heated with a central fire ring, and complementary firewood will be provided to guests. Guests will receive training on how to operate the smoke flaps. The interior will be painted with authentic Cherokee symbols, themes and patterns – providing guests with a sense of adventure.

Disney has not yet announced pricing for the Wilderness Lodge Teepee Villas or when sales will start, although they did say this offering will be available exclusively to existing members for a two-week period.

-------------------------------------

Disney also said their planned River Country Tower Villas is still planned, and will most likely proceed forward shortly due to the small size of the Wilderness Lodge Teepee Villas.

In cased you missed that announcement, it is a revival of River Country near Fort Wilderness.

http://i235.*************************************RCT.png​

However, DVC decided to combine the River Country plan with a massive contemporary building featuring modern amenities. The new DVC structure will be 100 stories tall, and will consist exclusively of deluxe studios.

A new Top of the World restaurant will offer stunning views of the state of Florida, from Jacksonville to Key West.

Although there won’t be any washer/dryer units in the room, there will be a small laundry room on the 56th floor featuring 4 washing machines and 5 dryers.

DVC estimates, based upon their history of sales, it will take 57 years for this new DVC resort to sell out, offering years of profits for Disney Vacation Development without any further capital investment.

Construction is scheduled to begin in late 2015, with the new resort scheduled to open in 2018. Point cost is estimated at $300/point.

The point chart will most likely not be based on seasons, but on what floor your studio room is located on, starting at 25 points a night on the 1st floor to 879 points a night on the 98th floor. The 99th floor will not be declared into the DVC resort, with Disney opting to retain ownership and rent the units on that floor for cash.

http://i235.*************************************RiverCountryDVC.png

:rolleyes1 :joker::P April Fools!

GREAT story, but my mind runs wild with all the possible endings . . . Eliza, we need "the rest of the story" . . . .

LOL, I think the snake probably died from laughing. If I remember correctly one of the biologist in the department threw it outside, while shaking his head and solidifying his belief that chemist spend way too much time inhaling their chemicals.

Hummm, I'm the one who is always scared when I hear this rumor. I think primarily it's because when I fall in love with some place I'm uber resistant to change. The WL is my ideal vacation spot in Disney. I love the size, the lobby, the smells, the sounds. absolutely every thing. most people get excited on their first day when they see the "welcome to Disneyworld" signs on the highway, I get excited by

So my natural antenna goes up when I hear "expansion".
Lastly, while I loved the GFV's the new poly rehab leaves me feeling "meh". while very nicely done, it has the "Marriott" feel to it, sort of generic with sprinkles of "Polynesian" where before the Poly was much like WL where when you first walk in you are bowled over.

LOL, I think the snake probably died from laughing. If I remember correctly one of the biologist in the department threw it outside, while shaking his head and solidifying his belief that chemist spend way too much time inhaling their chemicals.

Hummm, I'm the one who is always scared when I hear this rumor. I think primarily it's because when I fall in love with some place I'm uber resistant to change. The WL is my ideal vacation spot in Disney. I love the size, the lobby, the smells, the sounds. absolutely every thing. most people get excited on their first day when they see the "welcome to Disneyworld" signs on the highway, I get excited by

So my natural antenna goes up when I hear "expansion".
Lastly, while I loved the GFV's the new poly rehab leaves me feeling "meh". while very nicely done, it has the "Marriott" feel to it, sort of generic with sprinkles of "Polynesian" where before the Poly was much like WL where when you first walk in you are bowled over.

I have to agree with all your comments, Eliza (I have to smile every time I call you Eliza). :) I don't mind change if it doesn't impact the ambiance of a place, but in the case of recent rehabs they are disappointing in that the villas are becoming much more generic with theming limited to the drop down bed in the studios (which we don't use) and a couple of pillows on the sofa. But I'm with you on loving that sight of the entryway to WL and then driving past the guard gate and rounding the corner with the Lodge looming at the top of the hill and VWL on the right through the trees. Ahhhh!

Jimmy...you had me going for about 2.5 seconds with that headline before I remembered what day it is. Still, a pretty funny "article". :)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter