Vow Renewal on board DCL Wonder

Discussion in 'Disney Weddings and Honeymoons' started by ChocoKat, Feb 7, 2009.

1. ChocoKat

ChocoKat Is there a 12 step program for Disney Addicts?

Hello everybody! :wave2:
    I am a newbie to actual wedding planning, I have been married 9 years, but my first wedding wasn't really put together at all, ok... it was a big disaster, (my parents couldn't make it, none of my friends either, the person "helping" me put the wedding together did it all without my input and it all ended up going on in a small sitting room of a complete stranger, I even got skipped when it was time to say my vows by the elderly justice of the peace, and the reception consisted of chicken salad, jello and a tiiiny weird wedding cake which flavor I didn't even get to pick), so this year DH presented me with an engagement ring (he never could give me one before until now), and a proposition to do a vow renewal with our friends and my family on the Wonder in 2010 for our 10 year anniversary. :flower3:

I have never done this, so I am not sure where to begin! I have already gone through Disney Wedding's website and ordered the planning DVD. Also we have an idea of when we would like to do it, in late Feb. early March of 2010.

We would have around 13 to 18 guests. Are those too many guests? Could I invite more if we needed to? How do I go about contacting a coordinator?

I need help from past DCL brides please! I am so excited, this is a dream come true for me!:cheer2:

2. CJLKIM

CJLKIM Planning our WONDERful adventure to see how it com

The ships only do so many ceremonies on any given cruise. I know on the Magic when we got married in 2006 they did one wedding onboard (ours), one VR onboard and then one wedding at Castaway Cay. I would assume that the Wonder follows the same gameplan...my first cruise on the Wonder won't be until December 2010.

We already have our cruise booked in 2006, so I simply contacted the DCL wedding coordinators after reviewing their information to make sure that there were slots available for our trip...there was...so I snatched the spot. The wedding package was added to my ressie and it had a pay-in-full date. I was emailed the detailed wedding planner and simply filled in the blanks for them.

The coordinators were fabulous at answering my questions and really worked to accomodate my wishes. They also handled our spa and Palo reservations for us.

Our information was transferred to an onboard coordinator, Mark, who met us immediately upon boarding the ship. They took my dress to make sure it was pressed. I met with him a couple times to wrap up planning (give him a CD I brought with some music for the ceremony, to see the place where the ceremony was being held, pick out the actual design of the cake, etc.). He checked in with us daily to make sure everything was going well. Then, when I realized that my veil was still back in Michigan, they worked with the wardrobe staff at the theatre to transform the veil on the bridal "Minnie Ears" into the veil I wore for the wedding. Mark even helped me coordinate with the salon staff to make sure that I got my hair done for the ceremony and he even coordinated with Customs so I could bring my bouquet home with me (you aren't supposed to bring live flowers and etc. off the ship).

It felt strange making plans "long distance" without being able to see things firsthand but I quickly learned to go with the flow and put things in Disney's hands...I mean, afterall, it is them and they are the creators of "Fairy Tale Magic". I wouldn't have changed a thing!

3. ChocoKat

ChocoKat Is there a 12 step program for Disney Addicts?

Thanks for all the info Kris!
    OK so first I need to figure out the actual date I want to be on the cruise, then add the wedding package if there are slots available.

Sounds good!!!

Did you have any guests in other cabins that paid their own way? I have done grand gatherings at Disney World before, so I am guessing they work in a similar way?

Normally we call the grand gatherings line, they get us a block of rooms, then everybody pays their deposit, etc on their own using our grand gathering name and the ressie numbers we are assigned. Could we do something like that for our friends and family too?

We would be paying for my parents room as well.

It sounds like the crew aboard the Magic did a wonderful job for your special day, it really reassures me to know they have such a good handle on things, I really want this go-around to be magical and fun for everybody.:flower3:

4. CJLKIM

CJLKIM Planning our WONDERful adventure to see how it com

In our immediate group there was me, DH, 2 DDs, plus his DD (also my Matron of Honor) and SIL (his Best Man). We paid for the rooms for these. DD and SIL just covered their expenses.

There was a group of DISers onboard with us that we extended wedding invites to. They received invitations in their staterooms. We just had to cover champagne/juice for everyone and cake. We also were lucky enough to "extend" our reception to dinner and keep the party going since we dined with some of the DISers....