Volunteer John and the Contemporary Journey! Chapter 13 1/13 - FINAL THOUGHTS / COMPLETE

All caught up and I didn't do any reading at work. Yay me!

We loved the baby warthogs on the safari. They were all running around and being ridiculously "ugly-cute".

I hope they are able to make the Yeti moveable again someday. The yeti scares me even being still, I'm sure I'd be terrified (but in a good way?) if it was moving again.

I hope the tiger mating is succesful. How adorable would a baby tiger be? Since the tigers have swiped right already, Disney needs to set up a Netflix and chill night asap. I need a baby tiger.

I hope they are able to make the Yeti moveable again someday. The yeti scares me even being still, I'm sure I'd be terrified (but in a good way?) if it was moving again.

I hope so, but I'm not holding my breathe. :)

I hope the tiger mating is succesful. How adorable would a baby tiger be? Since the tigers have swiped right already, Disney needs to set up a Netflix and chill night asap. I need a baby tiger.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Maybe they have a netflix and chill room set up off stage. I wonder if the animals use the sock on the doorknob as a "do not disturb" sign?

We loved the baby warthogs on the safari. They were all running around and being ridiculously "ugly-cute".

I agree. Did you see the Hyena's too? I was surprised to see them added in the safari so soon. I think they are going to be a "big part" of the night safari's that they are rolling out in 2016 since they are nocturnal.

They haven't "met" yet, but are aware of each others presence (maybe they both swiped right on Tinder).
NICE! That one made me laugh.
I'm really excited about all the additions to AK coming in the next few years. I'm not a big Avatar fan, but I know the new land will be top notch and worthy of the Disney name.
I can't say that i am a huge fan either but I do look forward to seeing the new land and what it has to offer. It should be pretty amazing. I also look forward to the feeling of boredom after a half day at AK. I can't wait to see the new safari ride and night time show. Figures crossed I get to see it next year.

I agree. Did you see the Hyena's too? I was surprised to see them added in the safari so soon. I think they are going to be a "big part" of the night safari's that they are rolling out in 2016 since they are nocturnal.

Yeah we saw the Hyenas. They were prowling around. I imagine they will be fun to watch at night. Do you know if the lions will be incorporated into the nighttime safari? Aren't they generally more active at night as well?

Yeah we saw the Hyenas. They were prowling around. I imagine they will be fun to watch at night. Do you know if the lions will be incorporated into the nighttime safari? Aren't they generally more active at night as well?

I'm not sure if Lions are traditionally nocturnal since they just sleep most of the time. I'm not sure how the set up with be - I wonder if they will drive on a new path at night, or sent the nocturnal animals to the same shared spots we are used to seeing.

NICE! That one made me laugh.

I'm here to entertain. :thumbsup2

I can't say that i am a huge fan either but I do look forward to seeing the new land and what it has to offer. It should be pretty amazing. I also look forward to the feeling of boredom after a half day at AK. I can't wait to see the new safari ride and night time show. Figures crossed I get to see it next year.

Yeah, it's going to be quite the change being at Animal Kingdom at night! A great change, though!

Sounds like a fun evening at MK. I agree with you about 7DMT - very good ride but one where the wait without a FP+ is usually too long. I think it is a great entry roller coaster though (in some ways, I think it is an easier one than Barnstormer is).

Glad you got a good spot for Celebrate the Magic and the fireworks, and just had a good evening!

I love how you refer to it as "Summoning and Uber" as if you are a Sultan or something :rotfl:

WOW the Grand! Very cool that you got that discount! Definitely not my first choice of places to stay (though I have heard nothing but good things from people who have stayed there, even those that thought it would be too stuff) but at a great rate, hard to pass up.

Cool info about the tigers! After what I witnessed at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park and can tell you that it will be noticeable when the female is in heat :rotfl2:

Hope the room lived up to your expectations!

I love how you refer to it as "Summoning and Uber" as if you are a Sultan or something :rotfl:

Haha. I was actually trying to think of what a proper verb would be. It's technically not calling. It's not "apping". So, I thought the most logical verb was summoning. :thumbsup2

WOW the Grand! Very cool that you got that discount! Definitely not my first choice of places to stay (though I have heard nothing but good things from people who have stayed there, even those that thought it would be too stuff) but at a great rate, hard to pass up.

It was a great experience! Now, if I could just apply those conference rates to any resort at any time, I'd be set!

Cool info about the tigers! After what I witnessed at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park and can tell you that it will be noticeable when the female is in heat :rotfl2:

Saw that video and I have to agree she was not in heat yet, ha!

Hope the room lived up to your expectations!

Stay tuned!

Phew I'm all caught up - haven't had a chance to check the Dis much lately with work being super hectic and I see I've missed not only Universal and Disney but Peru too!

Can't believe that you got to stay at the GF - super jealous! I'm not sure that it will ever be in my price range - well, unless the Australian dollar goes above parity!

Can't believe that you got to stay at the GF - super jealous! I'm not sure that it will ever be in my price range - well, unless the Australian dollar goes above parity!

It was great to stay there! The convenience to MK couldn't be beat, but I still think Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo or Kidani) is my "dollar for dollar" favorite resort on property.

CHAPTER SIX: I WAS NOT READY

Once arriving back at the GF, I went to check in, acquired my room assignment and bags, and followed the map towards my room for the next two nights.

BTW, my text only told me to check with the Front Desk about my room - it didn't tell me a room number. I'm pretty sure in the past the text has given room numbers ... anyone have anything to add here?

20151107_134737.jpg

lobby

So I went outside, and walked until I came to my building (don't recall the name), didn't go up any stairs, and noticed a suite was right next to my room. That could be a good or bad omen, I wasn't sure which at the moment.

But it was good. Dare I say, GRAND? har har har ... is this thing on?

For starters, I was placed in a corner room. Which made the room a little bigger than a normal room. Or maybe all the rooms are this size at GF. I'm not sure!

20151107_135601.jpg

I open the door, this is the hallway walking into the room. Bathroom ahead.

20151107_135609.jpg

Bathroom

20151107_140140.jpg

Two beds, table to my bottom left, couch up near where my bags are.

20151107_140143.jpg

Table, along with second (SECOND!) porch straight ahead.

20151107_140452.jpg

Chairs from the main (MAIN!) balcony...

20151107_140458.jpg

View from the second balcony. These guys were fishing right outside my window.

and, drum roll, view from the main balcony ...

20151107_135410.jpg

I have a Theme Park view!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This wasn't the best picture I could have taken, but to the left you can see Cinderella's castle poking out (it's partly covered by the tree branch coming down), Space Mountain near the center of the picture, and the GF boat dock literally steps away from my room. And the Contemporary, if that's something you wanted to look at. I could not believe my luck - I certainly did not pay extra for a corner room or a theme park view but I was given some Pixie Dust this day!!

Again, I was totally Disney nerding out. I didn't want to ever leave the room, especially after two days. I skyped with my Mom to show her my luck, and I never skype with my mom haha. I just could not believe my good fortune. This was the best room I'll probably ever be assigned at Disney.

All that being said, I think I was most excited about being able to look outside the window, and see where the boat to MK was. That way, I could essentially wait for the boat in my room. In bed. Possibly without shoes on. :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Yes, I just took waiting for Disney Transportation to a whole new level of laziness. Get on my level.

ON THAT NOTE: I love how the Deluxe Resorts have the bus wait time TVs at the bus stops, but wouldn't it be even better if they assigned a channel so you could check these in your rooms? These are the things I think about. :thumbsup2

It was time for my afternoon siesta. After a while, I checked on my friends and they were in Magic Kingdom - they were getting their two year old girl's hair cut for the first time! As cute as that would have been, I didn't want to interrupt family time. I also didn't want to move. :goodvibes

"I heard the boat a comin, it was sailing around the bin..." I was rewriting a Johnny Cash song when I knew it was time to leave the room, take a few steps, and queue up for the boat to MK.

20151107_153333.jpg

My place in line 20 seconds after leaving the room (I'm still really excited about this :jumping1:). In the background you can see Cinderella's Castle just to the right of the GF boat dock building thing, and then Space Mountain farther to the right.

I boarded the boat, and the Captain stated our next stop was the dock at the Polynesian. I thought to myself, "This should go straight to the MK" and then I scolded myself for already thinking with a "sense of entitlement." Remember my possibilities for trip report names ....? :laughing::littleangel:

20151107_153507.jpg

Snapped this pic on the boast. Bottom right corner was my baby. er, room. :banana:

The boat docked at the Poly, and I got a nice view of the Bungalows.

20151107_154139.jpg

Too rich for my blood.

20151107_154144.jpg

Beautiful

20151107_154441.jpg

Soon the boat turned around and we were sailing away to the "Most Magical Place on Earth!"

20151107_155127.jpg

This picture is a little busy, but I love how I got the Castle in between the palm trees, the Railroad Station, and passing Monorail all in a shot. Maybe it would look better cropped to eliminate anything below the monorail track.

Up next ... how long was I at Magic Kingdom again???

Thanks for reading everyone! Say hello if you haven't!

WOWSA!!!! Awesome Pixie Dust!!!

I, for one, appreciate your level of laziness! :rotfl:

Great pictures!

When we stayed at the Poly once, I LOVED that boat ride to MK. It was so nice and relaxing!

Hello! Joining in! I am loving this trip report so much that I am now going to be late for my doctor's appointment. No matter!

We went to Universal for the first time this past April and loved it! Seeing your pics makes me want to start planning our next trip there. It'll have to wait until 2017 though, since we have booked a cruise/WDW trip for April :banana::banana::banana:

Anyway, That room and the view at the GF is amazing! How lucky can you get?!!

Can't wait to read more. I am heading down to WDW on Saturday to meet a friend. She will be leaving a day before me so I will have a day and a half as a "solo traveler." I am not sure if I will feel comfortable, but seeing your pics is reassuring!

Great pictures!

Thank you!

When we stayed at the Poly once, I LOVED that boat ride to MK. It was so nice and relaxing!

:boat: Yes, I really want to stay at Poly or Contemporary - those are my dream resorts. Love the theme at the Poly and ever since my first visit to WDW when I was 5, I wanted to stay at the hotel that the Monorail drove though :thumbsup2 Not anytime soon though unless I get another incredible rate or I find a Disney Sugar Mama :rotfl2:

Hello! Joining in! I am loving this trip report so much that I am now going to be late for my doctor's appointment. No matter!

Thank you so much! I wouldn't worry, your Doctor was probably backed up anyways if you're in the US. :rotfl:

We went to Universal for the first time this past April and loved it! Seeing your pics makes me want to start planning our next trip there. It'll have to wait until 2017 though, since we have booked a cruise/WDW trip for April :banana::banana::banana:

Glad you had a great time! By 2017, there will be so much new to see (as well as new construction). Disney should have Avatar done, Disney Springs should be finished, Universal will have King Kong finished as well as some other projects. They will probably have broken ground on their "speculated" third gate! Very exciting times for theme parks in the Orlando area over the next five years. Competition is a great thing. :thumbsup2

I'm so jealous you've got a cruise schedule. My family is possibly planning one for September of next year but it's still early in the process. What ship will you be on? April is a great time to cruise! In April 2013 we flew into Orlando in the evening, had dinner at Ohana, and checked in at Animal Kingdom Lodge. We had one day in the parks the next day (14+ hours and three parks), and dinner at LeCellier. Then the next morning, breakfast at Kona and we boarded our bus to Port Canaveral for seven days on the Fantasy (Western Caribbean). One of my favorite Disney, if not any, trips ever! :worship::love:

Anyway, That room and the view at the GF is amazing! How lucky can you get?!!

I was incredibly fortunate. :goodvibes

Can't wait to read more. I am heading down to WDW on Saturday to meet a friend. She will be leaving a day before me so I will have a day and a half as a "solo traveler." I am not sure if I will feel comfortable, but seeing your pics is reassuring!

I think you are going to have a great time, with nothing to worry about! You'll be able to do whatever you want, whenever you want. Most people won't even noticed you're solo and if they do, they think you are just separated from your group. Please ask me any more questions if you have them about traveling solo, I'd love to try and ease your mind more! :thumbsup2

The biggest regret I had in my college years was not enrolling in the college program when I was accepted.

I have the exact same regret. But, like you, I figure I will work at Disney during my retirement years.

I was staying at the Grand Floridian for two nights!

YAY!!! Such a gorgeous hotel. DH and I hope to stay there in 2016.

So maybe sometime in 2016 we will be able to see a stage ready Tiger cub at Animal Kingdom

BABY KITTY!!! Don't tease me now.

I have a Theme Park view!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOO!!! Did you watch fireworks? Did you sip tea on the balcony?? Did you have any visiting bird friends??? Tell us everything!!!!! :)

Also, hi! Reading along and enjoying what you have wrote so far. I am always humbly impressed by those doing solo trips, something I'm not sure I could ever handle (even though I'm an only child). Now if I was allowed to bring my Scottish Terrier with me.... Maybe. ;)

I'm so jealous you've got a cruise schedule. My family is possibly planning one for September of next year but it's still early in the process. What ship will you be on? April is a great time to cruise! In April 2013 we flew into Orlando in the evening, had dinner at Ohana, and checked in at Animal Kingdom Lodge. We had one day in the parks the next day (14+ hours and three parks), and dinner at LeCellier. Then the next morning, breakfast at Kona and we boarded our bus to Port Canaveral for seven days on the Fantasy (Western Caribbean). One of my favorite Disney, if not any, trips ever! :worship::love:

We will be going on the Dream, and I cannot wait! I've only been on one other Disney cruise, the Magic out of NYC in 2012. I am so excited to see the bigger ship and ride the Aqua Duck! I'd also LOVE to go on the Fantasy one day!

I have the exact same regret. But, like you, I figure I will work at Disney during my retirement years.

Great minds think alike!

BABY KITTY!!! Don't tease me now.

I never joke about baby kitty's, those are no laughing matter. Hopefully one will come along, the viewing area for the Tigers would be PERFECT for it to play in :)

Did you watch fireworks?

Stay tuned! ;)

Did you sip tea on the balcony??

SPOILER ALERT: I drank coffee on the balcony the next morning :cloud9:

Did you have any visiting bird friends???

SPOILER ALERT: No :worried: Maybe I wasn't singing loud enough?

Tell us everything!!!!! :)

Stay tuned! :thumbsup2

Also, hi! Reading along and enjoying what you have wrote so far. I am always humbly impressed by those doing solo trips, something I'm not sure I could ever handle (even though I'm an only child). Now if I was allowed to bring my Scottish Terrier with me.... Maybe. ;)

Hello OregonGirl, and welcome! Thanks for reading! This trip was a nice mixture of solo and with friends, so I got the best of both worlds. I'm an only child as well, and I'm sure once you got to WDW you'd forget about being solo. :goodvibes

We will be going on the Dream, and I cannot wait! I've only been on one other Disney cruise, the Magic out of NYC in 2012. I am so excited to see the bigger ship and ride the Aqua Duck! I'd also LOVE to go on the Fantasy one day!

You guys are going to have a great time. If I remember correctly, the Dream just made a lot of upgrades so there is not much difference between it and the Fantasy now (except for length of cruises). My first cruise was on the Dream, and it was great but we weren't ready to leave after 4 days. The Magic is great, as well!

Last edited:
Awesome pixie dust and an even better view!

I'm going to be staying a resort with boat access next year and can't wait (although I doubt I'll be able to see them from my room lying in bed without shoes on! ;))

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter