• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Volcano slide at the Poly

mom22boys

DIS Veteran
From the pictures it looks like the volcano slide could be a little intimidating for a younger child. Does anyone have first hand experience they could share? Our oldest DS did great with the sandcastle slide at OKW when he was 5. It was bright with plenty of natural light inside the sandcastle. It definitely had an open feeling. How does the volcano slide at the Poly feel? Is it dark? Do you feel closed in?

Much thanks!:daisy:

I have not been on it but my kids love it. They are 14 and 11 but loved it when they were 10 and 13 also. They tell me there are lights inside - red I believe. We have always seen many small children on it when we are there. It went down for refurbishment while we were there in January but my kids did get to use it a couple of days. They love the Poly pool.

I can't answer about the lights, but my kids (5 & 9) loved it on our last trip.

i have seen video my friends took going down that slide and it looks on the darker side with a reddish hue to it..kinda closed in too...not sure how timid your kiddos are..but i would think your best bet would be to go down it yourself if you can and then tell them what its like...:) To me, it looks pretty fun!

We were at the Poly last summer with our then 7 year old, 5 year old, and 2 year old. You can check out life vests for the kids at the marina (no charge but they need a driver's license).

The Volcano pool was a huge hit with them. The 2 year old loved hanging out at the zero entry area. Both the 5 year old and the 7 year old did the slide many times (especially the 7 year old). No lights on the inside. In fact, for a couple of seconds it's pretty much pitch black. But I'm almost certain you can ride it with your child. The exit is fairly fast. It is a great slide.

We plan on staying at the Poly next time we go. We like the location and the rooms but the pool is what will bring us back. It was a blast!

When we were there a few years back my kids were 5 and 3 and both had a blast on the slide. They wore the life vests from the marina. I don't think I was allowed to ride with them, but I always went first and waited at the bottom for my 3 year old. It is a fast slide, my 5 year bumped her head on one turn and they always seemed to come out facing the wrong way.

Enjoy,

Doug

I always go on it and it is DARK. I love that slide but the whole way down I'm praying for light to get there quick! My now 8 y/o DD went down it once when she was 5 and said never again. No one is allowed to ride with them. There is also a light up top that tells you when the next person goes so you can't even go down right behind them. You have to wait til the light turns green.

My daughter who really loves water slides wouldn't do the Volcano slide when she was younger. We were really surprised because all previous trips (mostly to WL and AKL with open slides) she would basically spend all of her pool time sliding, getting out of the pool, and sliding again. She still had fun at the pool. It is a great resort, but we had really anticipated her loving it and she didn't.

My daughter who really loves water slides wouldn't do the Volcano slide when she was younger. We were really surprised because all previous trips (mostly to WL and AKL with open slides) she would basically spend all of her pool time sliding, getting out of the pool, and sliding again. She still had fun at the pool. It is a great resort, but we had really anticipated her loving it and she didn't.

I am concerned that this would be our story too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter