Visting the Big Apple and the Big Cheese, for the Holidays! December 2010

Bye bye Toontown!

IMG_0711.jpg
IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

We liked that the train driver got everyone to join in with saying “allllll aboarrrrd!” when we left each station.

IMG_0714.jpg

We got off the train at the Main Street Station, and wandered up the Street to find some lunch… Steve’s favourite…. Casey’s!

IMG_0715.jpg
IMG_0716.jpg

Unlike a few days ago, we were able to sit outside – we saw some of the ‘move it, shake it, celebrate it’ parade.

IMG_0713.jpg

Unfortunately it was time to leave the Magic Kingdom.. but we still had time to visit one more Disney park…. Epcot!

We got on the monorail and made our way there.

IMG_0718.jpg

There was a large group of teenagers going through the turnstiles as we entered the park, I noticed some of them were looking at their free food coupons.. I assumed they were from a choir that was performing in the Candlelight Processional.

First attraction we went to was the Living Seas; I really enjoy this pavilion.

Mine! Mine!
IMG_0719.jpg

We spent some time looking in the aquarium.. there were divers in there cleaning..

IMG_0724.jpg
IMG_0721.jpg
IMG_0723.jpg
IMG_0725.jpg

As I took a photo of this guy – he pointed at my ‘just engaged’ button (I didn’t realise they could see that well through the glass!), and pointed at Steve.. I nodded… and he gave us two thumbs up!! Magical moment.

IMG_0726.jpg

Then we went to look at the manatees – there are two there at the moment being rehabilitated, one of them was absolutely huge – hundreds and hundreds of pounds in weight!
IMG_0729.jpg
IMG_0728.jpg
IMG_0727.jpg

We decided not to see Crush in Turtle Talk this time, and headed out ..

IMG_0730.jpg

And around to World Showcase.

IMG_0731.jpg

The weather was absolutely perfect, low 70s & really sunny – we really weren’t looking forward to going back to the freezing cold (and.. snow?!) at home.

We stopped for a drink at a stand near Norway …

IMG_0732.jpg

For some reason, I thought that the glass on the right-hand side was like an electric glass of ‘beer’ (like a lava lamp?), but it was an actual beer!

Steve had a beer & I had a glass of rose – we found a bench and sat in the sun.

IMG_0733.jpg
IMG_0734.jpg
IMG_0735.jpg

As we wandered around the lagoon, we saw the ‘Monkey King’ – China’s performer during the holiday season.

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

We kept walking around, near France – we saw the Beast walk out on his way to join Belle!

IMG_0739.jpg

Outside Les Chefs de France restaurant, there were some performers doing an amazing balancing/acrobat shows, so we stopped to watch the whole act.

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg
IMG_0744.jpg

It was about 2pm, we had another 1.5 hours until we were due to be picked up by the Magical Express, so we headed out of Epcot..

IMG_0747.jpg
IMG_0748.jpg
IMG_0749.jpg

And wandered back to the Boardwalk, stopping again at the pizza window near Kouzzina for a drink.. soak up one more hour of the Florida sunshine!

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

We got back to the Boardwalk lobby, picked up our bags from Bell Services, then got changed into our travel clothes (flip flops were changed to boots!) – there was a DME bus outside the resort, but it turned out it was a broken down one .. luckily ours pulled up on time…

IMG_0753.jpg

And it was time to leave my most favourite place on earth.
I didn’t feel quite as sad & blue as normal, I think because I knew we were going home to the Christmas period, and that we’d most definitely be back in 6 months time!

The DME journey was fine, but when we got to Orlando airport, we saw at the check-in desk that our plane was going to be nearly 2 hours delayed. It was annoying as there is an earlier flight back to London which was on time – but we like to book the later flight so it maximises time in WDW on the last day!

Steve was annoyed as he had hoped we’d land on time the next day, so that he would be able to go to his team’s football match – but that was unlikely to happen.. and as it turned out, the football was cancelled due to bad weather any way!

We wandered around the terminal & looked in some shops – then decided to get some dinner at Chilis, that way we could decline the meal on the plane & try to get some more sleep! We had a really nice meal of chicken fajitas, then went through security.

When it was my turn at the passport check – the security guard looked at my passport, looked at me.. and said “no” … no?! .. then he said “we have to keep a balance of pretty women between the UK & USA – you have to stay here” … Steve & everyone around us laughed! I’m used to security at airports being so serious, I wasn’t prepared for him to crack a joke!

We found our gate, bought some Bacardi rum for Steve’s parents and I got some celeb magazines, and we sat down at our gate.
With the free wifi, we found plenty to read and do until, finally, we could board the plane. It was well after 9pm and we didn’t think we were going to take off at 9.30pm as planned.

We got on the plane & started to settle into our seats – when an air hostess asked Steve and I if we’d like to move forward to the door/front row! The plane was only a third full, and for take-off it’s necessary for some passengers to be sat by the doors.. in case we had to help out in an emergency (eek!). The hostess said we could move back to our booked seats after take-off, but we were more than happy to sit with all that extra legroom for the whole flight!

Luckily, there were no emergencies at take-off ;) so we had a great flight… I even fell asleep for well over an hour which never happens – we skipped the meal, steve put his seat back & slept nearly the whole way.. I dozed on and off, and watched Toy Story 3 several times!

Then… the fun began! We were given breakfast at about an hour before landing (a soggy bacon & cheese muffin, Virgin Atlantic breakfasts used to be so much better than they are now.. used to get fruit, cereal bar & a hot item!) – and then the captain spoke to us, to say.. “the airport is closed until at least 12pm due to severe weather!”

This is the view of England as we approached…

IMG_0762.jpg
IMG_0761.jpg
IMG_0760.jpg
IMG_0759.jpg
IMG_0755.jpg

We only had enough fuel to circle for an hour, so he needed to land the plane at a different airport – being a jumbo 747 plane, not many airports have a long enough runway…. Luckily, they were given a landing slot at Stansted airport (north London/Essex … no where near home or Gatwick airport!) … we started to descend through the snow cloud, it was so thick and very turbulent… and eventually landed.

IMG_0763.jpg

We then spent the next 4 hours waiting for our bags to be taken off the plane… the First Class & Crews’ bags came off within an hour – buses had been arranged to get us to Gatwick (where my sister had made it through the snow to pick us up!) – so eventually, we got on a bus (in the meantime we’d bonded with our fellow passengers, swapping stories about Disney World!) … it took just over an hour to get to Gatwick, the weather was so bad – thick snow & ice all over the motorway.
We met my sister.. she had been a star, waiting at the airport for 3 hours with a pile of magazines and endless coffees!

We decided not to try to get to our house (the roads are very hilly & become terrible in the snow), and didn’t want my sister to drive home alone – so Steve’s parents kindly offered for all of us to stay with them over night!
So it was definitely an adventure to get home, but we were very lucky & fortunate to make it home at all…. Part of me wishes Virgin had cancelled the flight & we’d have to stay in WDW for a few more days until the snow melted… but what can you do ;)

So… that was our trip!!
Thank you all so much for reading along… it was a really fantastic trip, we loved New York City & will definitely return – and despite the cold weather, Disney during the holidays is wonderful.

Our next trip to the World will be this June/July for our honeymoon … the weeks are flying by and we’re so excited!
After that – we’d like to return during September/October – enjoy the Food & Wine Festival again and also attend a MNSSHP … we’d quite like to combine a trip to Florida with another US State – possibly New Orleans next time! Although the flights look quite complex, it’ll be great to visit N’orleans.. I went there in 2004 with my family, and Steve has never been but would obviously love to visit the home of the Saints team.

Luv & Pixie Dust,

Emma princess: x

That would throw me off too if an airport security person cracked a joke like that! What a crazy ordeal you had with your flight/drive back home! They really should have cancelled your flight and "forced" you to stay in WDW another day or so.

I've really enjoyed your TR! I've travelled a lot within the US, but I've never been to NYC, so that part was really nice to see too. Your honeymoon trip isn't too far off now! Congratulations in advance on your wedding and I look forward to hearing about your honeymoon trip!

Great updates :) Spending your last day in MK and then Epcot was a great idea and way to soak up every last bit of Disney before going home.

Yikes! First a 2hr delay and then further delays on landing. You guys must have been so frustrated and bless your sister for making it to Gatwick in the snow. I remember from the news that everything completely shut down and it was utter chaos.

Thanks so much for sharing your TR with us, was a blast reading along. Can't wait to read all about the honeymoon in July :goodvibes

So glad you had a great trip, despite the snow delays!!! it must be sooo exciting that you'll be Mr & Mrs next time you're in WDW! and also, you are best colleague in the world, bringing taffy back for your workmates!
fantastic TR, hope you're planning to write one for your honeymoon! :goodvibes

I love being able to spend a bit of time at the parks before heading home... just stretching out the magic for as long as possible!!! It sounds like you guys had a great trip, despite the cold weather! At least you know it will be plenty warm for your next trip!! :lmao:

So sad your TR is finished, but you will be back soon. I really enjoyed reading along. I am still reading your PJ, I will be keeping up with your plans over there. You both are so cute!:goodvibes
Brenda

so sad your report is over. You had such amazing photos, i loved them all.

yuck on the flight home, so sorry you got detoured to another airport.

it sounds like your last day was a fabulous one though. Did he like the GF? i can't wait to read the honeymoon report this summer!!

Thanks for sharing your wonderful trip!!! i really enjoyed being along for the ride.

That would throw me off too if an airport security person cracked a joke like that! What a crazy ordeal you had with your flight/drive back home! They really should have cancelled your flight and "forced" you to stay in WDW another day or so.

I've really enjoyed your TR! I've travelled a lot within the US, but I've never been to NYC, so that part was really nice to see too. Your honeymoon trip isn't too far off now! Congratulations in advance on your wedding and I look forward to hearing about your honeymoon trip!

I really wish they had cancelled the flight ahead of time! ;) never mind, we made it home. It really threw me when the security guy at the airport made a joke! ;)
Thank you for the wedding congrats.. I plan to do a TR after the honeymoon.. helps relive the vacation! :wizard:

Great updates :) Spending your last day in MK and then Epcot was a great idea and way to soak up every last bit of Disney before going home.

Yikes! First a 2hr delay and then further delays on landing. You guys must have been so frustrated and bless your sister for making it to Gatwick in the snow. I remember from the news that everything completely shut down and it was utter chaos.

Thanks so much for sharing your TR with us, was a blast reading along. Can't wait to read all about the honeymoon in July :goodvibes

Hi Stefy, I've really enjoyed writing this TR and sharing our trip.. it was so much fun.. hope you & Dave can make it over to Disney during the Christmas period one time :goodvibes

I think we were pretty lucky to make it home that day in December, it was so frustrating at Stansted airport.. we could see the snow pounding down outside, and no one would tell us where our luggage was/if the buses would be there to take us to Gatwick! :confused3

So glad you had a great trip, despite the snow delays!!! it must be sooo exciting that you'll be Mr & Mrs next time you're in WDW! and also, you are best colleague in the world, bringing taffy back for your workmates!
fantastic TR, hope you're planning to write one for your honeymoon! :goodvibes

Hi! as we were leaving MK and Epcot on that last day, I was thinking to myself 'next time I'm here we'll be married!" :yay: very excited to wear those white 'bride' mouse ears in June!
Thank you for reading, definitely plan to write one for honeymoon trip :thumbsup2

I love being able to spend a bit of time at the parks before heading home... just stretching out the magic for as long as possible!!! It sounds like you guys had a great trip, despite the cold weather! At least you know it will be plenty warm for your next trip!! :lmao:

Hi! it was a fantastic trip even though the weather wasn't on our side ;) ... I've said we cannot moan about the heat in June.. it'll be a welcome change to having to wear coats & gloves! :laughing:

Fantastic trip report! I really enjoyed reading along :thumbsup2

thank you for reading along! :goodvibes

So sad your TR is finished, but you will be back soon. I really enjoyed reading along. I am still reading your PJ, I will be keeping up with your plans over there. You both are so cute!:goodvibes
Brenda

Thank you for reading Brenda.. the PJ will continue... 15 weeks til the Big Day now, wow!! :bride:

so sad your report is over. You had such amazing photos, i loved them all.

yuck on the flight home, so sorry you got detoured to another airport.

it sounds like your last day was a fabulous one though. Did he like the GF? i can't wait to read the honeymoon report this summer!!

Thanks for sharing your wonderful trip!!! i really enjoyed being along for the ride.

Hi, thank you so much for reading along!
Yes DF definitely like the Grand Floridian.. he said "wow" when we walked into the lobby that morning :cloud9: .. I did mention we had a theme-park view room, but I think he's forgotten... extra little surprise when we arrive there I guess!

Emma princess: x

I loved your TR, as always, Emma! You guys really packed a lot in your last day. The GF is so beautiful-- perfect for your honeymoon!
What an adventure in getting home you guys had-- I'm glad all was well and you guys and your sister (what a trooper to drive through all that and wait for you guys-- sounds like she definitely deserved that wristlet!) eventually got home safe!

I can't believe it's taken me so long to see your final update! :eek: I can't believe the ordeal you had getting back home! I bet that was quite a shock after what looked like some very nice weather on your last day at Disney.

I so enjoyed your report!, Emma! And you know I'm really looking forward to the next one!!! :goodvibes Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us!

I loved your TR, as always, Emma! You guys really packed a lot in your last day. The GF is so beautiful-- perfect for your honeymoon!
What an adventure in getting home you guys had-- I'm glad all was well and you guys and your sister (what a trooper to drive through all that and wait for you guys-- sounds like she definitely deserved that wristlet!) eventually got home safe!

Thank you for reading along! :goodvibes
it was definitely an adventure getting home.. yup my sister deserved 10 D&B wristlets for picking us up at the airport that day! we insisted we paid for the carpark too.. it was over £12 for all the time she'd been there :sad2: lol

I can't believe it's taken me so long to see your final update! :eek: I can't believe the ordeal you had getting back home! I bet that was quite a shock after what looked like some very nice weather on your last day at Disney.

I so enjoyed your report!, Emma! And you know I'm really looking forward to the next one!!! :goodvibes Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us!

Thank you for reading Courtney!

The last two days of weather were perfect, mid 70s & so sunny... looking forward to next trip to Florida and not having to wear a coat ;)

Now the TR is done I'm planning to start my scrapbook for the trip.. before I know it it'll be time for wedding & honeymoon, wow!! :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter