Virus's Trojans and Worms oh my!

I did notice a "pop-up" from Norton recently that did mention they deleted a Trojan Byte Butterfly (or something like that). When I ran AD Aware, it found nothing, as Norton had already taken care of it.
Could you go thru more time on how to open things in that safe mode?? How do you get back to the "real" mode?? That's what bothers me--in a safe mode and unable to get out again!!!
AS an aside, I also have that Google Pop-up blocker. Dosen't get them all, but most. Since I put it on the computer, it's blocked 5,021 Pop-ups.
Sort of shows the extent of the general problem---

Either restart or turn on your computer and hold the f8 key. Wen the safe mode menu appears, select: start in safe mode. This starts windows but does not load programs and dlls other than the basic windows shell. You can then run Adaware. Make shure that you have installed Adaware and checked for the most recent updates before restarting in safe mode.:smooth:

If this doesn't solve your problem then you will need to find a computer tech who will help you. Deleting files manually requires a knowledge of DOS and the ability to edit the registry.:badpc:

You've heard the advice. Don't reply to spam. If you do, you'll get even more because you've just told the spammer that your e-mail address is legit.

"No one has done a complete test of this because it's difficult, if not impossible, to prove beyond a doubt," says Ari Schwartz, associate director for the Center for Democracy & Technology. With spam accounting for as much as 83 percent of all Internet-delivered messages in the United States, he says, "if you do opt out and get more spam, how will you know you wouldn't have received it anyway?"

Sometimes opting out does work. Last year CDT researched spam sources by creating e-mail accounts, seeding them through various venues, noting the amount of spam that each account received, and opting out. Many companies complied with the opt-out requests within two weeks.

"Knowing who to opt out from is key," says Schwartz. "Opting out of legitimate companies drops you off their lists, but when you do that with 'real' spammers, the results are unclear."

Regardless of whether you opt out, spammers have various tools to grab addresses. You can't completely protect your inbox, but you can take defensive measures, such as keeping your e-mail address off public sites, says Schwartz.

If you're still looking for a good spam filter, try Cloudmark's SpamNet, or another program recommended in "Spam-Proof Your In-Box."

Im not good at all with computers but our computer acts up once in a while.

What happens is I use AOL to do my emails and then IE for 2 or 3 other sites and keep going back and forth so I get them all done.

Usually when I go on IE its an AOL page but then in about 3 or 4 weeks it goes into MSN and then after that for a few weeks then sometimes I get pop-ups that takes up the whole page and theres no address line to even get to another site. The pretty soon we have about 6 extra icons on the desktop (I think thats whats its called) and theres nothing else we can do but a full recovery and then reinstall AOL and Ad-aware

Lately when we run ad-aware theres about 25 under registry values indentilfy what does that mean?

also any other advice would susre be helpful

I hope I explained everything right

thanks for any advice

Advice needed here, too:

We have three online computers at home through a wireless network. For an unknown reason the computer upstairs won't access any Homestead-created websites or log into Hotmail. We've been told it's a Spyware problem. We've tried to clean it up with Spybot, Spy Doctor & Ad Aware 6.0. We've also run all three in Safe Mode. This got rid of numerous problems but not the one causing the web browser to malfunction. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

campingcorgi- that is a REALLY well known problem...unfortunately I have never seen a really good single answer.
Do a google search on:
hotmail msn can't access
and you will see a lot of different ideas

Dznypal- might want to let adaware remove those entries

Originally posted by WebmasterAlex
One good thing to try is to reboot in "safe mode". Tap the F8 key when starting your computer. Run your antivirus and anti-spyware programs in safe mode and they will often remove stuff they normally can't.
Will F8 work for Windows 98 too (safe mode) ~ or just XP? Thanks!

If you want to see how extensive and how complicated this whole Worm-Virus thing is, log on to the Lavasoft forums (they're the company that sells AD-AWare).
Unbelieveable the things that can happen to a computer due to these sorts of things.

It's only getting worse and worse Uncleromulus. I know my company is spending a significantly larger portion of our time cleaning up this stuff.

I used to have a serious issue with IE hijacking... toolbars and etc.
i havn't had one in a long time.

my formula:
1. Go to Tools -> internet options -> privacy
i keep the slidebar on medium-high. some times sites like ebay and others that use cookies have a problem loading. since IE will block them at this privacy lvl, this is easily remedied by going in to the edit window (in the same privacy tab) and adding such problem sites to the always allow list.

2. Run and update ad-aware at least once a week. just to make sure nothing has slipped pass.

3. a pop up stopper program. they don't always work, but it can't hurt to stop some harmful pop-ups

ever since i've done this, i have only gotten the occasional adware, and its usually because i'm trying to d/l a no-cd patch for a game i've bought. (aka i shouldn't be at a site like that anyway, full of lots of internet vermin)

We should start a petition to make this stuff illegal. The popups and spyware I mean. Most of them don't even bother to ask if they can load anything on your computer anymore and there is no way to just simply shut them down without them even starting. Some even have ways around the ad blockers (which seem to only shut them down after they have actually loaded).

vote with your wallet.. Don't use IE and better yet don't use windows.

Making browser hijacking, popups and spyware illegal isn't going to change anything. Congress can only legislate for the US.. and even then it won't stop spammers and hackers in the US. Look at the look at the CAN-Spam act. Heck .. look at other non computer/net laws.. there are laws against speeding and stealing, does that mean that people don't speed or steal? Nope!

Putting in a little effort and taking some responsibility for helping yourself will go a long way. Don't use software that is suceptible, especially when the company has a long history of not making and effort to make secure products. There are plenty of other web browsers out there. There are plenty of other operating systems. Many of which have now become easy enough for the average home user. And if you aren't comfortable with linux/unix try a Mac!

As we say at work, "Security is a Lifestyle."

Heather
(and yes, I do net security for a living!)

One other thing Alex didn't mention --- Keep your computer up to date on patches. Microsoft just released a new patch this week. It will be painfully slow if you have dialup -- but it is really worth it if your computer is no longer vulnerable!

--heather

Originally posted by heathrow42
vote with your wallet.. Don't use IE and better yet don't use windows.

Making browser hijacking, popups and spyware illegal isn't going to change anything. Congress can only legislate for the US.. and even then it won't stop spammers and hackers in the US. Look at the look at the CAN-Spam act. Heck .. look at other non computer/net laws.. there are laws against speeding and stealing, does that mean that people don't speed or steal? Nope!

Putting in a little effort and taking some responsibility for helping yourself will go a long way. Don't use software that is suceptible, especially when the company has a long history of not making and effort to make secure products. There are plenty of other web browsers out there. There are plenty of other operating systems. Many of which have now become easy enough for the average home user. And if you aren't comfortable with linux/unix try a Mac!

As we say at work, "Security is a Lifestyle."

Heather
(and yes, I do net security for a living!)

Yahoo another Linux user!!!!

Would it make you feel even better to know these boards run on Red Hat?

Originally posted by WebmasterAlex
Would it make you feel even better to know these boards run on Red Hat?

..a little, but not much. Redhat is getting as bad as M$ these days. Neither are secure out of the box. And actually I am little surprised.. I was really thinking Solaris or such..

If I may, what is the backend database? With 70k+ users and 6 million+ posts It's gotta be robust. (Oracle? DB2?)

..and if I had my druthers I wouldn't run linux either.. DH does, but it's what he knows.. he has his boxes, I have mine :) FreeBSD or Solaris for me - and always have a knoppix cd in case of emergency.

--heather

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter