Virgin or BA

Discussion in 'UK Trip Planning Forum' started by lgp1, Dec 2, 2005.

1. lgp1

lgp1 DIS Veteran

Has anyone flown with Virgin and British Airways to Orlando?Could you please tell me which you prefer.I have flown with Virgin twice but tempted to try BA.
    Thanks.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. SammieG

SammieG <font color=royalblue>I think i will have a teenag

This topic brings about strong opinions in people.. so be warned!!

We always used to travel Virgin, but then my husband started to get business miles with BA, so we switched to BA.

Personally I prefer BA.. I find the seats more comfy etc.. and when we started travelling with them they had the sky seats which were great with a baby.
    However, we were always using BA mile redeption to travel to Orlando, and I can assure you that its fantastic when its F R E E!

I think they are both probably really good airlines..
    The BA flight from Gatwick gets in just before the virgin one, so its quicker to get through imigration.. thats always a bonus!!

4. Pootle

Pootle <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ

Ain't that the truth. Obi Wan Kenobi (aka Mr Branson's number 1 fan) will be along any time now I don't doubt ;)

I've also used both many times and like SammieG have a husband who accumulates BA miles and so I don't travel economy with BA, so hardly any surprised I prefer them to Virgin ;)

In the interest of balance though, I do think that the DD check-in is such a great advantage that it might sway me Virgin's way all other things being equal :)

5. floridalol

floridalol Keep the Blue Flag flying high..

Virgin every time if only for the reason that I abhored the disgraceful tactics BA resorted to when they tried to drive Virgin out of business. Apart from that Virgin is better in every department IMHO.

Lol

6. carolfoy

carolfoy <font color=cc6633>One has Ones hat and One's orf.

Like for Like I can't see a lot of difference but being in the travel agent I'd stay well clear of BA if theres another option! having said that tho' IF they were significantly cheaper for any reason, ie offers /redemption miles etc I'd go with them. But having used Virgins dowtown check in this year I'd agree thats a big bonus.

7. JohnnySharp2

JohnnySharp2 No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a

Have never flown BA so cannot really compare the 2 but have always been happy with Virgin.

BA do not fly direct from Manchester to MCO wheras Virgin do, the DTD check in is also a big advantage.

Downside high summer fly-drive prices for both airlines I would assume.

8. patdavies

patdavies Mouseketeer

I would also point out that for summer travellers, BA have had massive flight disruptions for three years running

9. LeCras

LeCras Mouseketeer<br><font color=red>I don't think I cou

We have always been happy with Virgin. Having a Virgin credit card has also allowed us to collect enough miles to fly LGW-MCO PE and MCO-LGW UC this year on just points... :cheer2:

Charlotte

10. mikki.young

mikki.young Knows Dreams do come true!

I've used both on the London / MCO route.

A plus for BA in economy if you don't have kids - there are a lot less of them on BA than Virgin.

A plus for Virgin is the DD check-in - it's a great idea.

On economy the BA seats are marginally more comfortable in my view.

We tried the BA World Traveller plus last May and liked it a lot, especially the allowance of two items of hand luggage instead. These now use the old business class seats and are very comfy.

We are travelling with Virgin next month in premium Economy because their price was much cheaper with some car hire added. Not done their premium economy since the seats moved upstairs so it will be interesting to see what they are like.

11. angel659

angel659 <font color=peach>Have A <font color=deeppink>Magi

Obi is on holiday as we speak. I read his we are there report. He will definately recommend them considering he lives next door to Mr Branson.

I flew with Virgin this yr and I was so impressed with thier service. Check in was fast and I would fly with them. I havent flown long haul with BA to be honest so cant really give you a proper idea. The only way I would fly with BA if they were cheaper.

12. Frances999

Frances999 DIS Veteran

I guess we are a little biased as we have to keep flying Virgin to keep our Flying Club Gold membership. However, I have travelled BA many times before and there is no comparison. The service, food and cleanliness have been better (consistently) on Virgin Atlantic. Remeber you have twilight check-in/online check-in for your outward flight and the wonderful DTD check-in for your inward flight.

If you are considering premium cabins, then Virgin are absoultely better in all respects, without any doubt. Their PE and UC services are far superior to the BA counterparts.

:wizard:

13. susan1

susan1 DIS Veteran

hi
    to be honest which ever comes up least expensive, there is not much difference!!

14. Lisash

Lisash Knows all the words to 'It's

Has to be Virgin every time. Have flown several times with them to different USA destinations and can't fault them.

15. SimonV

SimonV Proud to have called Bob Varley 'friend'

Comfort-wise, I don't think there is a lot of difference, but Virgin have the edge on service and extras, IMHO. As others have pointed out, the DD check-in is a real bonus, and Virgin's PE is great vfm. If there was a substantial price difference, I would still go with BA (it is only a 9-hour flight after all) but, if prices are similar, I'd choose Virgin.

16. mark&sue

mark&sue <font color=teal>I keep trying to convert everybod

I find the DD check in seems to take forever. It seemed like a good idea the first few times but to just stand in the heat and hardly move has put me off.

I could not get the flight I wanted with Virgin so had to settle with BA anyway. I find them very similar as as someone mentioned it seemed like there was a few less screaming kids. I believe B.A. do a night before check in at Gatwick.

Susan

17. Pootle

Pootle <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ

Yes, I did know he was away, I sort of expected him to 'sense' there was a thread going with some potential for negative comments about his beloved Virgin ;)

BA has this too.

I honestly don't believe that for an economy flight there is much to choose, apart from the big plus of Virgin's DD check in.

18. AlanUK

AlanUK <font color=blue>UK Trip Planning & Trip Reports M

I'm another vote for Virgin :)

I have flown a few times with both and without exception the customer service on Virgin has outshone that of BA. It's not that BA are bad necessarily just that I find the staff on Virgin are more pleasant and much more willing than those I have encountered on BA.

Having said that price is really the deciding factor and if BA were significantly cheaper than Virgin I would fly with them instead and spend the extra $$ on enjoying myself whilst in Florida :teeth:

19. maggs

maggs DIS Veteran

I suppose we all base it on experience and my experience with BA was awful. Virgin on the other hand have never let me down.

Margaret

20. FizzyPop

FizzyPop <font color=339933>Has a fear of tea-bags, especia

I have never flown with virgin but I have flown 1st class with BA and it was excellent. My DH has flown from miami on BA and then jumped straight back on a virgin flight back to Miami and he said he prefered the BA flight.

21. Miffy2003

Miffy2003 <font color=orange>I've got Saratoga Springs - mak

I have done both and I would fly with whichever was cheaper :)

I found the staff, seats and meals comparable on both and the kids' pack better last trip on BA than Virgin.

DTD check in is a huge bonus with Virgin, but what I really liked with BA last time was the fact that the flight leaves Gatwick earlier than both Virgin flights so you have arrived and got through immigration & customs before the Virgin planes let out - it seemed much quicker to get through MCO last time.