Virgin Holiday Car Hire Moan

k8Davies

K8Davies
So annoyed with Virgin Holiday.

Trip has all been booked, Flight, Car Hire and Hotel - Even though that process too over 2 hours over the phone with Virgin in the end having to speak to a supervisor just to sort it out :sad2: but that's by the by.

Today's main moan is I wanted to upgrade the car from a Kia to a Rav4 as it's going to be my first time Driving in the states so though being slightly higher might help (God help the other drivers)

I redid the whole holiday online to give me some idea of cost - total package was the same with an uplift of around £85 if I wanted the better car.

So I called and they quoted me over twice as much, I did expect it to be a bit more expensive because you have to call in, but not by that much, taking the Mickey (Pun intended) a bit.

Know there not much I can really do >:( either keep the car I've got or pay over double for the upgrade and I'll have to take it as valuable lesson learnt for next time - Just needed to vent really

Its really difficult to use their website to see what your increase in cost would be because you don't know the breakdown of the different elements of the package.

Even though you saw a £85 increase, it's likely that either your hotel or flight reduced in price by this amount.

I've always booked a car myself as Virgin's price usually is much more.

Could you not just upgrade at the airport? If its Virgin Alamo?

Its really difficult to use their website to see what your increase in cost would be because you don't know the breakdown of the different elements of the package.

Even though you saw a £85 increase, it's likely that either your hotel or flight reduced in price by this amount.

you are right, but as the the package was the same price I thought it might be nearer that mark, but hey at least I know if I want a better car I need to decided that from the star. Although as the booking process was such a nightmare think was just glad to get the holiday book in the first place lol

And definitely a lesson learnt for next time, double check car hire and even look at booking separately

Could you not just upgrade at the airport? If its Virgin Alamo?

Good idea, I'll wait and see as you never know I might get a good deal there. As I don't mind pay for an upgrade but have a sneaking suspicion I'm not getting the best deal :thumbsup2

We always upgrade as we pick up the car. I'm always looking at how much luggage we have thinking I need a bigger car

You might find its cheaper to remove the car from the package and book it separately or leave the "free" car and remove the insurance.

VH charge more for insurance than you book an upgraded car most times.

I am concerned that my car will not be big enough now that there will be 4 of us, all with luggage.

I upgraded to the RAV4 when I booked the holiday but I am gonna see what it's like when we get there and upgrade there if necessary. TBH I think we will have to upgrade...any advice from previous experience with a RAV4 and family of 4?

I have heard a couple of stories of people getting a free upgrade at the airport as their category car was 'sold' out.

We have always upgraded at the airport as I am panicking about luggage but to be honest it was a bit silly as the luggage only goes in the car once or twice. It is only 20 mins from the airport to disney so what if it is tight. We used to hire the 7 seat SUVs for 5 they were nice but massive.

RAVA 4 have small luggage space but you can put some between the rear passengers. RAVA 4 were not built for luggage.

Free upgrades are very unusual for virgin car hire as Alamo have an enormous stock at MCO

Have you paid for the car insurance yet? not booked with VH for a while but they used to include a "free" car then you paid on arrival for the insurance.
If you haven't paid for the insurance 99% of the time you are better not collecting the car and booking one elsewhere.
I have never taken a VH "free" car, always found cheaper booking separate.

Alamo have a vast array of cars the one your quoted doesn't have to be the specific model. You'll have the pick of your level in the garage. I usually book an midsize or intermediate and have had all sorts. My fave being a Chevy HHR. Then we've had cars that fit both myself and gf in the boot together. Don't fall into the trap that the compact SUV will have more room or that much of an advantageous driving position as that is not always the case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter