Villainous Voyage - May 20th, 2006 7-night Western Caribbean **Completed, No Lie**

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports' started by RoyalVizier, Jun 4, 2006.

1. taeja71

taeja71 <font color=deeppink>I'll type real slow...<br><fo

I hope not. Maybe he's taking a long coffee break away from the computer???? Maybe the heat melted him...??

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. RoyalVizier

RoyalVizier <font color=purple>I'm sorry... I'm a gutless flip

Or maybe he's basking in the warm sun by a pool somewhere trying to imagine that he can hear the gentle waves breaking just upon the sandy shore of Castaway Cay while sipping a Bahama Mama in a swaying hammock.

No seriously... this is dragging out WAY longer than I ever anticipated. I am so sorry. I would dearly love to write the next installment but alas my notes are at home. But get this... I have a three day weekend from work this weekend so I have no excuses. I'm expecting you all to hold me accountable.

Thanks for hanging in there with me!!

Was it really a month ago today that I was enjoying a day at sea? :guilty:

4. Live2Vacation

Live2Vacation Earning My Ears

I just joined DISboards yesterday and came acreoss the trip reports. I started reading threads wanting ideas for our 1st DC in January of 07. Well I came across this one around 9pm, while "working". I read untill the end and freaked out when I came to the last entry in the middle of the report. I thought I couldnt find the correct link or maybee I was so new to the site I had limited access. That would have been wrong!

Well, I had a "sliding door" moment! I noticed the postings were current and not a completed report from months passed.

Well thats my story.

Great writing by the way. Almost good enough to cancel my trip and save the money.

If only I had some fake pictures......

J/K, cant wait untill January and your next instalment!!!

5. RoyalVizier

:lmao: :lmao: :rotfl2: I LOVE that! :rotfl2: :lmao: :lmao:

Welcome to the boards and keep reading. Sorry that you had to experience my abrupt end. Check back this weekend for the continuation!

January will be here before you know it! :Pinkbounc :bounce:

6. CNB1124

CNB1124 Mouseketeer

Our cruise is not until October so I can wait for you to finish. I am loving your report.

7. RoyalVizier

I promise I'll be finished by october! :)

8. churchlady

churchlady Mouseketeer

RoyalV, it was really a month ago that we were all together! Perfect weather, perfect food, perfect service! My Jessica and her friend Brittany were in the club (or Stack) with Sadie. I am seriously into Disney withdrawals. Thank you so very much for giving all of us addicts our FIX!! And BTW, we're waahhhitting.....

9. RoyalVizier

Here you go kids. Hopefully this will tide y'all over until the weekend. :)

Cast of Characters:
    Ward – that’s me
    Cheri – the lovely wife
    Sadie – the lovely 13 year old daughter

Wednesday May 24th – Day 5 Part 2: Losing A Ball, Losing LOST, and Foreshadowing for Disaster

Well of course when we got back to the ship from shopping on Cozumel we did what we always did… go up top for some grub. What grub do you ask? Come on now. I bet by now you can say it with me. Go on… say it with me. :dance3: Chicken fingers and Ice Cream! Of course. But let me throw a curve ball at you. Instead of finding a seat up top, this time we took our food back to the room and ate lying in bed watching TV. :happytv: Yep, we lazed about eating Chicken Fingers with gobs of dripping honey mustard sauce. Okay, the subject has now come up. I have to break here to tell you exactly how much I love the honey mustard sauce that Disney uses in its restaurants and quick service locations. :love: :cloud9: It’s Ken’s Honey Mustard Salad Dressing (believe me, I’ve researched it) and it is divine! I pretty much slather it on everything! Chicken, pork, or drink it right out of the bottle. Just hook me up to an IV… I’m good. :thumbsup2

Anyway, we ate and watched Fun with Dick and Jane on TV which I’d never seen before. It was okay. I’m not much of a Jim Carey fan but it was entertaining enough to have on the tube while eating lunch and trying to keep your eyes open. After catching a few winks we got our showers and got dressed for the evening and again, Sadie left us. I’m sure you’re beginning to catch onto the routine by now, right? Cheri and I went to the lobby for portraits and then went to Sessions for awhile to listen to the piano man. It was on this trip to Sessions that I realized they had CD listening stations lined along the walls. Hey, it’s dark in there… I didn’t notice before. So we relocated from the couch we were at and went to sit next to the windows so I could listen to some Disney music. When the piano man’s session was over we went next door to Diversions where I showed Cheri how to play foosball (thank goodness the beast was nowhere in sight this time. He must live only on deck 9 :eek: ). Then something happened that I am not particularly proud of, but I’m going to come clean right here on this board in the presence of all of you fine people. I made a particularly menacing play with my spinny men and the small ball sort of ricochet violently off of the wood next to my wife’s goal and flew out of the table and into the darkness. :guilty: Uh, I don’t know where it went. We did look for it! Oh yes, I promise that we canvasses the shadowy corners for a good uh… minute or two but I say that we must have, right at that moment, passed through a portion of the Bermuda Triangle (geography, not my strong point ;) ) for the ball had completely and utterly vanished. So we hightailed it right on out of there! Again, I’m ashamed of my cowardice. :sad2: So for those of you on the cruise that followed ours… if the foosball table in Diversions was missing its ball, I am to blame. :blush:

Okay, enough drama for now (I promise there is much more to come). Dinner was at Lumiere’s and it was Pirate Night. pirate: There were bandanas waiting for us on the tables and again I needed assistance with mine. Yes, for all of you that are wondering, I pretty much always need help dressing. My first attempt at donning the headgear didn’t go so well as Hector, our tablemate, told me I looked like the pope. I had sumptuous pork tenderloin and my wife ordered the spicy chicken which turned out to be raging spicy! Much more raging spicy than anyone ever dreamed so she sent it back for pork tenderloin of her own. Our head waiter Ronald told us to prepare ourselves for he had prepared a dessert especially for our table. Why, I don’t know but we didn’t ask questions! We were brought these decadent soufflés and we were the envy of those around us. HA! As we were getting up to leave, guts busting to the extreme, Ronald reminded us that we were to move our clocks ahead one hour this evening before retiring for the night (very important) and we headed up to the Pirate Party on deck 9/10.

We really enjoyed this party very much. I think it was a blast. The entertainment was entertaining, the fireworks were spectacular, and the buffet was very buffet-like. As much as I would have loved to dive face first into that table of delights I couldn’t possibly as I was doing good just to be standing there right after dinner. There had hot and cold items. We decided that we couldn’t let the opportunity pass us by so we did take just a smidgeon of cake and took it back down to our room.

It was at this point upon entering the room and seeing the television that the realization hit me and I may have physically stumbled against the stateroom wall for a moment before righting myself long enough to go sit on the edge of the bed. Tonight was the season finale of LOST! I am a total LOST freak-a-zoid. I had always known that the show was on this evening but I guess the excitement of the week managed to push it from my mind. Thank goodness the TV doesn’t have ABC or I would have been dashed to find out that I could have watched it onboard and didn’t. Yes folks, yes…. I so totally would have spent two hours of my Disney cruise vacation watching LOST on TV. True fans of the show would understand. So I regained my composure and made a mental note that watching it was priority number one when we got home (thank God for DVR’s). :worship:

As usual, Sadie came back around 1:30am… fade to black.

Up Next: A Wrinkle In Time and the Ship’s Scar

10. taeja71

taeja71 <font color=deeppink>I'll type real slow...<br><fo

I'm going to read the above r-e-a---l s-l-o-w and not rush. :tiptoe: Maybe a a couple paragraphs a day would get me through the weekend.....NAH!! :p

11. Babs417

Babs417 DIS Veteran

I feel like I didnt do enough we always were eating taking pictures buying pictures going to the plays.We need more time in a day.Cant Disney give us more time? :wizard: pixiedust: Thanks for your story.

12. RoyalVizier

Cast of Characters
    Ward - that's me
    Cheri - the lovely wife
    Sadie - the lovely 13 year old daughter

Thursday May 25th – Day 6 Part 1: A Wrinkle in Time and the Ship’s Scar

There comes a time in all family vacations where things just go a wee bit wrong causing angst among the travel party. In family and group dynamics it’s bound to happen, right? Circumstance and decisions turn against you. Well this morning was our morning… :guilty:

I woke up at 8am (wow… really slept in this morning), got my shower, got dressed, grabbed the Personal Navigator and went up top for my morning routine. This morning we were scheduled for our Character Breakfast in Parrot Cay at 10am and I decided that I was really starving already. I decided to go through the line at Topsiders (still no ham and cheese) and got a few things to act as a breakfast appetizer. I sat up on deck eating and looking at the Navigator. It was a gorgeous morning and I was enjoying my appetizers. :thumbsup2 I noticed on the Navigator that Shutters opened at 10am and the ship’s stores opened at 9am. It was just a few minutes to 9am so I decided to head down to the stores to take a quick look around before going back to the room to get the girls up for breakfast. I took the elevators down to deck 4 and made my way forward by way of Shutters. When I got to Shutters, I was very surprised to find them open! The Navigator said that they didn’t open until 10am and it was only 9am. I guessed that they just decided to open early. So I stopped there and looked for our Pirate pictures from last night. We had one taken with Pirate Minnie in the atrium and one in Lumiere’s. I found them and liked them but decided to leave them there and purchase them at a later time. pirate:

So I ran into the stores quickly and then went back to the room. By now it was about 9:30am. I walked into a bustle of activity. The hairdryer was going and Sadie was running around finding clothes and shoes. I was glad that they were already up. But then my wife poked her head out of the bathroom and said, “Well? Did you figure it out?” Figure what out? What was she talking about? She said, “The clocks.” Now… have you all seen Finding Nemo? :fish: You know at the end where Marlin, thinking that Nemo has died, leaves Dory to go back home. And then Nemo comes up to Dory asking if she’s seen his dad. Then, when she finally realizes who he is, her eyes grow wide as her entire life (P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way Sydney) flashes before her eyes in a quick progression in a blur of epiphany. Yeah, I experienced that right at that moment. :scared: My eyes widened and behind my eyelids I saw flashes of Head Server Ronald telling us last night to turn our clocks ahead. Then time flew. It was suddenly no longer 9:30, but it was 10:30am. :teleport:

Now, the problem was not really that Cheri and Sadie were mad that we were very late for breakfast. It was that Cheri thought that this breakfast was very very important to me and that I wanted to go more than anything. Well I did want to go and yes, I was looking forward to it, but it really wasn’t a big deal. I was having a great time and I had seen the characters all week so it really was okay. She asked me if I still wanted to go and I said no that we could just skip it. Well, she said she was okay with that, but then everything changed. She told me that when she realized that we had forgotten to move the clocks ahead she came up top to look all over for me and couldn’t find me anywhere. And then her and Sadie were rushing around getting ready and now I didn’t want to go. And Sadie couldn’t have cared less. So she didn’t mind either way. When things like this happen in my family, things get weird and awkward. We just kinda get sort of quite. :sad2: It’s hard to describe but just know that the next couple of hours were sorta awkward until later when the ice melted and all was good again.

Okay, enough doom and gloom… on with the show. At about noon Sadie left us and Cheri and I went to the pool. We sat in the pool for a while and got in the hot tub. I lounged around on deck some. Pretty much just lazed about. Then we went to Topsiders for lunch and discovered it was an Oriental buffet that in all honesty didn’t look very good. Well guess what? As we were turning to walk away I noticed that the entrance to the left side of the buffet line had a sign reading Kids Buffet. Oh hallelujah! :bounce: :Pinkbounc :cool1: How could I have been on this ship for six days and not realized that there was a kid’s side? So we went down that side getting chicken fingers, and hot dogs and French fries, spaghetti… it was superb!

Next, Cheri went back to the room and I went up to Palo for the Art of the Theme Show Ship Tour. I would highly recommend participating in this tour for anyone interesting in trivia and more information about the ship. Jeremy from the cruise entertainment staff was our guide and he pretty much took us all over the ship on all decks pointing out details and telling us stories. Here is just a brief rundown of some of the things I remember:

• There are 120+ different types of carpet on board. Most cruise ships average 10 - 12 styles.
    • There are 20 lifeboats numbered 1 – 21. There is no #13.
    • If you look closely at the tables in Studio Sea you’ll see the names of Imagineers.
    • The ceiling of deck 5 is shorter than any other deck because that is a child-focused deck. They wanted to make the children feel taller.
    • The large paint brushes in Animator’s Palate have the #6 on them. The #6 brush was Walt Disney’s favorite.
    • As most probably know, the ship was assembled in two peices then welded together. Jeremy took us out onto the deck 4 promenade to see the ship's scar where the two peices came together. Very cool.
    • And the best for last… the ship has wings!! Remember I know not a thing about ships, but I had no idea about STABILIZERS! There are these trap doors underneath lifeboat 11 way at the bottom of the ship and these “wings” extend out 30 feet when the seas are rough to help with the movement. WOW! I had no idea!
    Up Next: $4200

13. triptaker

triptaker Mouseketeer

oh man, I read your post too fast... now I have to wait for the next one.....

and I was going to read the next one real s-l-o-w

:) Great report!

$4200 - I'm hoping thats not the extra you put on your bill on the ship.....

triptaker

14. RoyalVizier

Cast of Characters
    Ward - that's me
    Cheri - the lovely wife
    Sadie - the lovely 13 year old daughter

Thursday May 25th – Day 6 Part 2: $4200

After the fantastic Art of the Theme Show Ship Tour I met up with Cheri at the Walt Disney Theater for THE bingo game of the entire cruise, the JACKPOT game. :cool1: We hadn’t played bingo the entire cruise. We didn’t really want to take the time or spend the money, but we figured that we’d better participate in this one. Hey, we could get rich! There were mobs of people. We didn’t take advantage of the bingo card presale so we had to stand in line and it took about 20 minutes or so. The Walt Disney Theater was packed full of people hoping to win the big money! :cheer2: We bought all five cards to play all five games (what they hey) and took a seat. Michael, Simone, and Pikey were taking care of us during the games with Michael running the machine and calling numbers. He is so entertaining to listen to and makes it exciting. They all are. About midway through the Jackpot game Michael revealed what the prize was and you guessed it… $4200! Wow! That would have been a good early Xmas present! If I remember correctly, one woman ended up winning it. If I had one it… I’d have been right to the online booking desk booking my next cruise! Ah well… it was fun anyway.

We then went back to the room to rest for a bit and get ready for dinner. I noticed on the Navigator that they were holding an open house at Ocean Quest down on deck 2. I was very curious about this place so Cheri and I walked down there but it wasn’t open. The doors were closed and locked up tight so I’m not sure what happened. I knew we didn’t go through another time change so that wasn’t it! Ah well. :confused3

This time we made Sadie come back and meet us for pictures in the atrium before dinner so that we could actually prove that she was indeed on this vacation with us. We practically had to hold her down and hog tie her to do just this much and cooperate with the photographer. When we were done she zipped out of there fast! Dinner on this Semi-Formal night was at Animator’s Palatte. Cheri and I both had fetuchinni and chocolate lave cake! YUM!! On our way out of the restaurant that night, Octavian told us that there was a dessert buffet up top for us to take part in. Yeah right… not in our current state. I didn’t even want to go look at it. We went right back to the room after dinner and went right to bed.

Up Next: The Return of the Fish

15. RoyalVizier

Whew... there you go kids. Guess I found some extra time laying around somewhere.

We're now up to Day 7 - Castaway Cay. Sorry but I know I won't be writing anymore until Saturday or Sunday. These last three segments should tide you over.

Enjoy! :banana:

16. MarkS

MarkS Earning My Ears

Your writing style makes me feel bad about puting my report up. I am really enjoying it. I feel like I am back onboard. We took the tour of the ship with Jeremy also. Definately a must for random triva fans!

Mark

17. YesGrumpy

YesGrumpy Earning My Ears

What a fantastic report - I have enjoyed it so much. Can't wait for the rest, but I will remain patient - at least you have 3 days to WOW us! :sunny:

18. WldWcnWmn

WldWcnWmn <font color=darkorchid>Promises to post no more ba

we have come to expect great things from you and you have not failed us. This trip report is definatley one for the archives! :thumbsup2 :surfweb:

19. lindaso

lindaso We are just like the Incredibles...well, without t

I am a huge fan of entertaining, well-written trip reports and yours definitely qualifies...thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

20. mcraft17

mcraft17 DIS Veteran

I just started reading your report today and I love it! We took the Western last September and here is my door story......
    I was in our room with my dd who was 9 at the time and watching tv while my husband was out exploring. Well I decided to go out on the veranda and enjoy the view. I thought I unlocked the door all the way but I guess it wasn't all the way shut before so I ended up locking it not unlocking it. So needless to say I locked myself out on the veranda. While my dd was too short to open the lock and was more interested in her show, I continued to bang on the door for help. I finally was able to get her to dial the phone to get help. Just as they got there my husband walks in and lets me in. Let me tell you it was the joke of the trip!!! :) So don't feel bad about your door story. Please write more I can't wait!

21. BCV2002

BCV2002 Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey, Chicago, what do ya s

When I read this, I laughed out loud b/c I DO understand. I am a huge LOST fan. Great (yet puzzling) season finale. I notice that you, too, capitalize LOST. You cannot just capitalize the first letter. It's sacreligious. :rotfl:

:tigger: :mickeyjum