Video Camera in the washing machine???

katie111

DIS Veteran
Okay we got home late last night from a (non-Disney) vacation and in my haste to get things unpacked as quickly as possible I threw in a load of laundry and in the middle of all the clothes was my video camera. I just realized it this morning when I went to put them in the dryer. We don't have a case for it so we usually just pack in in the middle of our suitcase & have never had a problem. Well, needless to say it is not working. Anyone have any idea if there is any hope for it? Its the type without a disk that you download directly to your computer. I am so bummed! It had so many great memories of this trip as well our trip to Disney in Feb and Christmas, etc. Pretty much all of my youngest's first year was on there. Haven't told my DH yet as I know he's going to be so upset! Of course it wasn't under warrantty but even if it was it won't get those memories back if they can't fix it.

Well, I washed DH's PDA and it didn't work for the longest time, but after a while, it came back.....I would take it in somehwere, maybe they can get the files off it at least....Best of luck, that is too bad!

I don't know if this helps, but a few weeks ago while in WDW, my son went down the waterslide at CR with his ipod in his bathing suit pocket. I left it in the sun and tried to blow dry it, but nothing. I came home and called apple and they trouble shot a few things (no, I did not tell them it was submerged in water for 20 minutes). Believe it or not, they got it working just fine, all of the songs were still on there and the buttons and headphones even work.

I would definitely try to have someone take a look at it or call the manufacturer - they just might tell you the right steps to get it working.

Good Luck - it is so hard to lose all of those special photos/videos. I remember loosing film from a vacation , back when you had to develop it ;)

The best hope for it would be to take it apart as much as you can and let it dry for at LEAST a week. Most electronic/water problems come from trying to turn on the electronic when it's still wet, which causes it to short circuit. I've also heard that putting the components in rice can help because it pulls the moisture out of the camera/phone/ipod, etc. After that, I'd put it back together and see if it will turn on, and at that point, I'd call the company and see if they have any suggestions if its not working properly. You might need to replace the battery, as in my experience they tend to be more susceptible. My cellphone sat in a thin layer of water on my desk over night after I knocked over a glass in the middle of the night, and the only problems it had were completely solved by buying a new battery -- the phone itself still works fine!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter