Victoria & Alberts - Join me in my Dining Scheherazade (Night #3 Sep 17, 2009)

Discussion in 'Disney Dining Reviews' started by ehagerty, Oct 2, 2009.

1. oybolshoi

oybolshoi <marquee><font color=green>You say vacation addict

I read this on Deb's site on Wednesday afternoon, I think. I thought it was an interesting comment for her to make because in the past she's always been pretty enthusiastic about PFTS. It's the same conclusion the hubby and I reached after we attended a PFTS last year - that's why we're going to V&A this year with friends instead of PFTS.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Sandy321

Sandy321 <font color=darkorchid>Crazy enough to want to do

another one chiming in to say - we've given up on PFTS for all reasons stated - and switching to V&A!

4. ehagerty

ehagerty DIS Veteran

I hope you can add it to your list next year - I can see that you have MANY food reports planned. Welcome back!
    Thank you - I appreciate the feedback!
    (a) you'll just have to go back....
    (b) agreed - I have asked him if he can supply wine notes for those of you who would like have expressed an interest in knowing more. He may not have time, but it never hurts to ask (I think)
    (c) agree - totally
    (d) he sent "home" a loaf of bread for my son's birthday in May. This visit, I forgot to ask for my menus - they were delivered to my OKW door the next morning, along with a loaf of orange date bread
    (e) hopefully!!
    (a) gotta start watching food networks....
    (b) seems like you have company (below)
    (c) there's always something I haven't seen before
    Not hijacking - sharing!!
    It was probably the same, as the picture was also taken in Sep - what day were you there?
    Thank you - and thanks for stopping by - again
    Just FYI, Chef Scott's wife has a lot to do with the F&W Festival (exactly what, I don't recall - for some reason, I have it in my head that she is in charge of it - but at the executive chef level, I don't know exactly what they means). In any case, you can let him know what you would like to see changed about the PFTS that would entice you back - although, dollar for dollar, I think I'd rather sit down and listen to a harp....

Now, onto more pictures!!

5. ehagerty

ehagerty DIS Veteran

Monterey Abalone with Toasted Capers and Meyer Lemon

Wine Pairing: Bisson Bianchetta, Golfo del Tigullio (DOC) Genova 2007

[​IMG]

The Meyer Lemon provided fruit and zing - I never thought to toast capers (have always just used them out of the jar - packed in salt). Just looking at this dish made me salivate.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Sidebar - today was the anti-V&A dining day. I had some vintage Gouda and triscuits for breakfast at my desk. That Gouda was the most flavorful thing I ate all day - by far.

Had a work event bowling this afternoon (which I do once every 15 years). With a little coaching, I managed a 91. Lunch was pizza and wings, consisting of precisely two identifiable flavors, yeast and grease. Attempted to anesthetize my palette with a bottle of Guinness - which had all of the satisfaction of a bowl of watery oatmeal. Didn't help. I've only ever had tap Guinness - which is more like some Silver Palette oats, with dates and real maple syrup.

"Dinner" was some free bar snacks at a former employer reunion - pizza (more yeast and grease, despite that fact that I could actually see ham and pineapple on it, it had no flavor - how do they do it?), fried ravioli (who knew there could be something less healthy than fried mozzarella? - also, it was overcooked, and had no sauce), and some form of puffy french fry - the second best food item I had today. Attempted to anesthetize my palette with a glass of house white. I was genuinely concerned that they had left soap in the bar wine glass. Took several sips to accept it was just that bad. I didn't think anyone made wine that bad anymore. I think it is the first glass of wine I just didn't finish, in my life.

So you can see why just the IMAGE of this dish made my mouth tingle today.

Fortunately, DS19 gave me a box of Godiva Dark Assortment for my birthday, and I was able to at least finish with a Dark chocolate mint - yes, just one. I look forward to making my own breakfast tomorrow!! I am happy with a one-egg omelette with some asiago, chervil...

Now that I think of it, DH asked me where we could go for my birthday that would be better than something I could make for myself. I told him I would be happy to wait for as long as it takes to return to V&A!!!

6. ehagerty

ehagerty DIS Veteran

Marcho Farms Veal Tenderloin with Marble Potatoes and Sauce Soubise
    Tasking of Australian Kobe Beef Tenderloin and Japanese Wagyu Strip Loin with Oxtail Jus

Wine Pairing: Benziger "Tribute," Sonoma Mountain 2005

The Big Picture

[​IMG]

Veal

[​IMG]

Nice pyramid of flavor - veal was exceptional, I think there was a bacon-like thingy - and obviously, an onion ring on top - notice the melon continuity in front. I was actually starting to get skilled at cutting my pyramid in sections so that each bite would have the full complement of ingredients.

Beef

[​IMG]

So phenomenal that I just assumed chef made it perfectly. Well, he did, but Mike showed us a sample of uncooked Kobe next to a comparable cut on non-Kobe (wish I have taken a picture). It was amazing to see the difference in marbling between the two. I appreciated that the beef was served unattended by any other elements. Distractions would have been a shame.

Veggies

[​IMG]

Once again, perfectly cut, color, placement, and flavor. My recollection is that the artichoke on top and a slice of truffle (or is it mushroom? I knew three weeks ago - I promise I WILL starting taking notes). In any case, I enjoyed all the vegetables, but cut up the artichoke/truffle into very small pieces to make it last as long as possible.

Taters, Precious....

[​IMG]

Last picture report, I mistakenly thought the topping might be braised shallots - turns out it is braised short ribs - acts as a condiment of sorts. Reminded me of the homemade chili sauce my grandmother used to can every year - a condiment staple on the table for everything from eggs to beans. Hmmm - haven't made it myself in a few years. Sounds like a November project....

7. oybolshoi

What's taters, precious? :rotfl2:

Happy Birthday from one Libra to another!!! I'm assuming today was your birthday based on the comment you made about your son giving you some Godiva. :goodvibes

8. BriarRosie

BriarRosie <font color=blue>Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:<br>Cl

Wow, I felt bad reading about the awful food other than the gouda at breakfast and chocolate when you got home.

In between....incredible food!

9. ehagerty

ehagerty DIS Veteran

LotR (Lord of the Rings) reference.... something my kids (in Gollum's voice) say every time they have potatoes
    Let's just say I am working my way through the box, one day at a time - and that I'll share the actual date when I see you!!!
    Fortunately, I don't do these events very often. At work, there are goodies available most days - reminds me of Seinfeld episode with the daily cake. They think I choose to "eat healthy" because I rarely partake - even for my own birthday - but I just can't see ingesting something with such a low flavor-per-calorie ratio.

10. ehagerty

ehagerty DIS Veteran

Colston Bassett Stilton, Coach Form's Goat, Gouda Beemster XO
    36 Month Aged Parmigiano-Peffiano and Thomasville Tomme
    White Chocolate Gelta with Tableside Shavings and Micro Orchids

Wine Pairing: Delaforce Colheita 1965

[​IMG]

Close-ups

Stilton (looks like date / walnut)

[​IMG]

Chocolate Gelato with edible orchid

[​IMG]

Goat Cheese, poached pear, date bread, Parmesan with honey

[​IMG]

11. oybolshoi

I loved the Gollum reference ... Jay and I like to use it when we have any kind of potato, as well. :thumbsup2

The cheese plate looks yummy as does the gelato ... I love the edible orchid!

12. ehagerty

ehagerty DIS Veteran

My sequencing is a little out of order - this was served before the beef and veal.

[​IMG]

We must have scarfed this down with relish, because Mike brought us another serving.....

13. ehagerty

ehagerty DIS Veteran

Tanzanian Chocolate Pyramid, Hawaiian Kona Chocolate Souffle
    and Peruvian Chocolate Ice Cream and Puff Pastry

Wine Pairing: None listed on menu, but pretty sure we had a Port

[​IMG]

Ice Cream (with eyelashes)

[​IMG]

I couldn't help but marvel at the physics behind assembling just this particular item. The pastry at the bottom was crisp (which means the ice cream can't sit on it too long). The ice cream was frozen, retaining shape without being rock hard, or dripping - probably a finite window of opportunity. The eyelashes could be made ahead of time, but would suffer / wilt at room temperature. The whipped cream has a narrow window to retain its shape on top of the mound. And here it sits, just perfect, sharing a plate with two other items. Talent and teamwork, I guess!!

Souffle

[​IMG]

Always love the souffle. Can't get it many places.

Pyramid

[​IMG]

Topped with edible gold, side of strawberries and cookie-crisp-thingy

A word on chocolate and me......
    I like chocolate, but don't consider myself a chocolaholic. I hand over my free Ghiradelli sample at DTD to my sons, I pass up birthday cake at parties, I give away candy left on my desk, and I rarely buy chocolate.

I do like my own homemade hot fudge sauce, but I usually give 90% away to friends and family. DH eats 9 of the remaining 10%.

I distinctly remember saying to myself, while eating this dessert, "well Chef Erich is making a chocolate convert out of me". Within an hour, I returned to the real world - outside the V&A bubble.

These were all outstanding - again, both as individual desserts, and as a collection. The things they do here with quality ingredients, recipes, skill and care continue to astound me.​

14. ehagerty

ehagerty DIS Veteran

"Celebes" Coffee, Tea and Friandise

[​IMG]

Love these treats - left to right
    • Gourmet Gum Drops (Jellies, Fancy Fruit Squares) - very vibrant fruit flavor
    • Cookie - forget exactly which, but yummy
    • Chocolate Covered Caramels - warm caramel center, specialty salt (sea? Hawaiian?) on top

15. ehagerty

ehagerty DIS Veteran

Amuse Bouche Prep (visually more engaging than some modern art)

[​IMG]

The camera turned on me (my preference is to hide BEHIND the camera)

[​IMG]

Chef Tom, Tom & Israel

[​IMG]

Chef Tom (he was in charge this evening)

[​IMG]

The Truffle Chef (shaving truffles at the moment, anyway)

[​IMG]

Stock "in the works"

[​IMG]

Wall Hanging

[​IMG]

All together now - THANK YOU!!!!

[​IMG]

Finale - Hallowishes from the GF dock

[​IMG]

16. ehagerty

ehagerty DIS Veteran

I suspect there will be more commentary, but there are no more pictures. Normally, I liked to take my time, but I have a personal goal not to return to V&A before I've completed the prior picture report - and since I am hoping to return a week from tonight - and I will not be able to post much between now and then - well, it was a race to the finish line. Now, to get out the suitcase, pack, go to my Mom's 80th birthday party tonight and be at the airport at 6:00 am tomorrow.

17. TheDISneyFamily

TheDISneyFamily <marquee><font color=peach>°O° DIS Friendship Pixi

Excellent photos & review, as usual! :hippie: :goodvibes I really do appreciate your attention to detail. Happy early B-day! Hope your dinner next week is even more amazing than this dinner. (if that's even possible!)

Cheers!
    Michelle

18. Miffy2003

Miffy2003 <font color=orange>I've got Saratoga Springs - mak

Wow, wow and wow again. Superlative review to accompany the food! I hope you have a fantastic birthday :)

19. disneyfav4ever

disneyfav4ever No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep

Was this at the chef's table, or in the regular dining room?

20. ljcrochet

ljcrochet DIS Veteran

I'm leaving soon. We skipped Cali Grill in August but will be going there next week. :banana:

After reading your review, I'm sure when we go in June, we will put the girls in the kids club (trying to decide if we should leave then at AKV or somewhere else).

21. kabuki

kabuki <font color=green>It's free if you pass out in the

THANK YOU for doing the review and pictures! Jason and I are now MORE excited then ever for our dinner with friends next week (next week???!!!:banana:) Have a wonderful time and you should be in front of the camera way more - you are beautiful!

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!:goodvibes