Vero Beach 2012 thread closed... see 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
disneydreaming92701 said:
We are considering vb after a cruise so nice to see reports.

It's one of my very favorite places! This was the first time we just stayed at Vero without a Disney trip too. Although I couldn't resist a small side trip. One day we had had enough sun so headed over to Downtown Disney for a little Disney fix. Had dinner at Trail's End then watched Wishes from the observation deck of Bay Lake Towers.

Are there any spa treatments for kids? DD and I were just talkng about trying a Disney spa. The one at SSR has "My First Spa Experiences" for ages 4-12. DD is 8, so she would be a good age for it if it was offered at VB.

I believe there were a few.....pedicure/manicure type things.

che

The spa offers a facial, massage, manicure and pedicure for kids ages 4-12. I'm here with DD 13 now. She's getting a spa service.

Yikes! I'm surprised that I have that much to say!:upsidedow

Actually, this might be a quiet year for you :) August is when I start looking for the next VB thread manager and really start paying attention to these numbers.

So, that said, I am officially kicking-off the search for the next person to moderate the thread. I feel it is very important to have new blood, new ideas, new fun. I haven't been very new this time around. Need help.

It really is as easy as copying and pasting the current thread and making corrections, changes, and additions as desired.

Anybody have any interest? If someone doesn't step up... I will have to let the thread die. Threat, threat, threat....

Thank you for posting this. We will be arriving this weekend for a relaxing getaway. :beach: This will definitely help!

BLAH!!!!!...and now there is Issac to think about. Wish I had a crystal ball to know if we should have an alternate plan and head to Orlando on Sunday. :confused3 If we cancelled part of our Vero trip, the points would be placed into holding and we could use them immediately at another resort, right? Decisions, decisions!!! :scratchin

Are there any spa treatments for kids? DD and I were just talkng about trying a Disney spa. The one at SSR has "My First Spa Experiences" for ages 4-12. DD is 8, so she would be a good age for it if it was offered at VB.

They do have tween treatments for that age group. We were just there last week and my DD10 had a tween massage, while my DD12 had a tween facial (I think each was $65). I had to be in the room while they were getting their treatments - they put my DD's in adjacent rooms that had a retractable door, so I was able to sit with both at the same time. Both girls loved their treatments.

They also offer ice cream manis and pedis (around $35/40) that include ice cream at the end. Neither of my girls opted for those, though, so I can't give you a review on them.

I had a Vichy shower treatment. It was wonderful. This was our second annual trip to the Vero spa and I'm sure we'll be back again next year.

Oh, and all spa services for DVC are 20% off through Labor Day. Enjoy!

Just got back from 4 nights at VB and then 2 nights at Universal Hard Rock Hotel. It was a good trip and my family (me, DH, DS-15 and twin DDs-13) had fun (most of the time). Here are some positives and negatives.

Positives:
1- Clean, up-kept and beautiful resort.
2- relaxing/peaceful...quiet beach area...not commercialized
3- nice food choices on resort (poolside counter, the Green Room and Shutters...had lots of good stuff to eat and drink).
4- quick walk to pool or beach
5- nice mild waves (good for me, but a negative for my kids)
6- blue-ish water
7- breezy and not too hot
8- lovely 2BR just as I requested (top floor in building 15) with wonderful view

Negatives:
1- giant spider (size of my entire hand...no lie) decided to get into nook on our van (parked in garage). We noticed it the morning we checked out and had to drive 1 hour and 40 minutes to Universal...my DDs did not want to get in and were a bit freaked out. I sprayed him with bug spray with deet and he went into van sliding door which put my DD into hysterics (and I wasn't so cool headed either)...was interested as we sat there trying to get him...I thought I saw him curl up and fall, but we never could find him. I am still creeped out about it.
2- long drive from MD (MD beaches suck, but there are perfectly fine beaches a bit closer like in NC, SC and GA...we like Tybee Island).
3- not much for teens to do...good place for younger kids (lots of activities for younger kids)
4- had to use key to get in/out of pool area and beach...was a pain when your hands were full and they were full most of the time (with beach gear)
5- ocean water was very chilly
6- could not go on beach at night (because of turtles, which I understand, but we like to walk on the beach at night)
7- had to drive a good way to get to anything...nothing real close by
8- lots of greenery that blocked view of beach/ocean and held critters (like our spider friend)...stepped on many snails at night...:-(
9- we had TIW card and they would have to get a manager to approve discount on every food order...would have to wait (not too long but would hold up the line at the counter).
Editied to add 10- internet from room was difficult to get online and stay online and was SLOW.

We're glad we went, but it's not something we NEED to do again and we certainly won't drive down just for VB nor will we ever need to spend more than 3 nights there (a week would be way too long). It was nice that we added on a few days at Universal and we stopped at Daytona beach on the way down to VB. We spent a few hours checking out Daytona (and spent the night in Port Orange) and it made the drive to VB easier and more pleasant. Then, DH made us leave Universal yesterday and drive all the way back home...that was a hellacious ride and I WON'T do it again.

5- ocean water was very chilly
6- could not go on beach at night (because of turtles, which I understand, but we like to walk on the beach at night)

Wow, ocean very chilly in August? Current Vero Beach forecast says ocean temp is 81 degrees.

Does anyone know if beach is closed at night throughout the year, or only during certain months? We're going next March and would like to walk the beach at night.

064-1.jpg

Another positive...the fabulous sunrise as seen from our balcony. The black blur is a dragonfly.

Wow, ocean very chilly in August? Current Vero Beach forecast says ocean temp is 81 degrees.

Does anyone know if beach is closed at night throughout the year, or only during certain months? We're going next March and would like to walk the beach at night.

We were there 2nd weekend in August and the water was very refreshing...found the pool water to be too warm to cool off from the heat of the day.

They only close off during turtle season....summer....from what I understand. We have been there during other seasons and walked the beach without any issues. Also walked it every morning before sunrise without any issues. You just have to respect the turtles. :goodvibes

che

I also forgot to mention that there is lots of chair hogging (you know this term if you cruise) by the pool. What's up with that?

I also forgot to mention that there is lots of chair hogging (you know this term if you cruise) by the pool. What's up with that?

I'm guessing you're talking about people who come out early and put towels and such on the chairs to RESERVE them. A special pet peeve of mine.

Unfortunately, the key to the pool is necessary. There is a public entrance to the beach on the north side of the resort and people tend to find their way in. Even with the key system.

The beach is not actually closed at night. Just can't use lights to see your way. I broke my big toe one year accidentally kicking a huge rock on the beach. This is not a DVC rule (Disney has no rights on the beach, it is public domain).

Sorry about the spider. Never seen one that big there. I've seen them that big here in VA, and black widows multiple times. There should be a special island where all the spiders can go to live in harmony.

Love your sunrise shot... what is that in the water?

:rotfl: When we were at VB last year for spring break, we stayed in the one Beach Cottage near the pool. Yep there are the chair hogs and there were a small group every morning waiting for rope drop at the pool. These were professionals, not only did they bring the towels, but coolers and anything else you would need for a day at the pool.

I am headed to Vero in May for my first trip! Yeah!

We are planning on renting a car, spending a few days at Vero, then driving to port for a cruise. Someone recommended just paying to park the rental and then driving back to the airport. What do you all think?

Also, what airport would you recommend?

I am headed to Vero in May for my first trip! Yeah!

We are planning on renting a car, spending a few days at Vero, then driving to port for a cruise. Someone recommended just paying to park the rental and then driving back to the airport. What do you all think?

Also, what airport would you recommend?

We usually fly into MCO for our VB trips, more flights than West Palm Beach. If I was cruising out of PC, I would fly into MCO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter