VENT: I want to strangle my co-worker!

jensen

DIS Veteran
Please humor me and let me vent for a moment before I ask for some advice. I have this co-worker who is simply awful. I like to call her "smarty pants". She thinks she's the smartest person in the world. But, she's a $10/hour bookkeeper whose last job was at Walmart. So, make your own judgement.

She's frequently ill and mostly on Mondays. She's in a lawsuit with Walmart for a workman's comp case where she fell and injured her back. Recently, she's had to come in late because she's been attending therapy sessions for her carpel tunnel syndrome. Did I mention that she's only 30 years old?

But, the thing that really has me going lately is that she's been on this kick where she thinks she runs the office, always telling people what to do or how to do it. I've had a couple of conversations with our mutual boss about things she's done or said specifically towards me. My current issue is not specifically towards me, so I'm trying to ignore it. But, it's grating on my nerves and I feel like she needs to be put in her place before it goes any further. So, here's where I need advice...

We have a new employee who doesn't wash her hands after using the toilet. Ugh, right? But, I'm inclined to simply wash my hands better and ignore that. Well, "smarty pants" has taken it upon herself to start putting notes around reminding people to have healthy habits. It started with a note on the ladies room door reminding you to wash your hands. Then a note in the break room reminding you to wash the dishes with SOAP AND WATER. Today there was a note on the donuts (brought in by a vendor) to use a napkin to pick up the donuts and not your bare hands.

And in between the appearance of these notes, we are constantly hearing her complain about people being gross and dirty and disgusting.

I'm so tired of it... I'd really rather have the germs than her constant nagging.

WWYD?

But, she's a $10/hour bookkeeper whose last job was at Walmart. So, make your own judgement.

WWYD?

I think you better don your flame suit cause those few sentences are going to rile up some Dis'ers.

Maybe she can't find a better job than Walmart, but in our small town, with very few available jobs, a job at Walmart would be better than none at all!

In my opinion..let your co worker get herself in trouble with no help from you!

First of all just because someone's last job was at Wal-Mart doesn't mean they are uneducated.

I would just ignore "smarty pants." She is probably a college graduate with no common sense. ;)

Please humor me and let me vent for a moment before I ask for some advice. I have this co-worker who is simply awful. I like to call her "smarty pants". She thinks she's the smartest person in the world. But, she's a $10/hour bookkeeper whose last job was at Walmart. So, make your own judgement.

She's frequently ill and mostly on Mondays. She's in a lawsuit with Walmart for a workman's comp case where she fell and injured her back. Recently, she's had to come in late because she's been attending therapy sessions for her carpel tunnel syndrome. Did I mention that she's only 30 years old?

But, the thing that really has me going lately is that she's been on this kick where she thinks she runs the office, always telling people what to do or how to do it. I've had a couple of conversations with our mutual boss about things she's done or said specifically towards me. My current issue is not specifically towards me, so I'm trying to ignore it. But, it's grating on my nerves and I feel like she needs to be put in her place before it goes any further. So, here's where I need advice...

We have a new employee who doesn't wash her hands after using the toilet. Ugh, right? But, I'm inclined to simply wash my hands better and ignore that. Well, "smarty pants" has taken it upon herself to start putting notes around reminding people to have healthy habits. It started with a note on the ladies room door reminding you to wash your hands. Then a note in the break room reminding you to wash the dishes with SOAP AND WATER. Today there was a note on the donuts (brought in by a vendor) to use a napkin to pick up the donuts and not your bare hands.

And in between the appearance of these notes, we are constantly hearing her complain about people being gross and dirty and disgusting.

I'm so tired of it... I'd really rather have the germs than her constant nagging.

WWYD?

Well, I'm a little cranky today so I'd tell her I completely understand her worry about germs seeing as how see's too sick to come to work every Monday and then thank her for reminding us all, multiple times, about the importance of good hygiene, but that she can stop now and focus on her own work because everyone in the office got the message after the third note.

Good luck to you, I couldn't stand working with someone like that day after. day.

I think you better don your flame suit cause those few sentences are going to rile up some Dis'ers.

Maybe she can't find a better job than Walmart, but in our small town, with very few available jobs, a job at Walmart would be better than none at all!

In my opinion..let your co worker get herself in trouble with no help from you!

Was going to add on to this, but decided just to walk away.

I hope venting here helps get it out of your system. Focus on finding ways to disregard 99.9% of what's bugging you about smarty pants because truthfully the only thing you can control is your reaction. Ignore it & get ear plugs if you need to.

The only one of the things you listed that would bother me would be the know it all attitude. However, I think in the case of the hygiene issues I would just be glad someone is addressing it!

It sounds like she might be obsessive about cleanliness, but you said yourself you've noticed some coworkers are not very hygienic so it's hard to fault her for it.

It's easy to get annoyed with people you have to see all the time that bug the heck out of you, but as others pointed out, it doesn't sound like she'll last long if she's annoying the boss as well!

Tink888 said:
Well, I'm a little cranky today so I'd tell her I completely understand her worry about germs seeing as how see's too sick to come to work every Monday and then thank her for reminding us all, multiple times, about the importance of good hygiene, but that she can stop now and focus on her own work because everyone in the office got the message after the third note.

Good luck to you, I couldn't stand working with someone like that day after. day.

I like this answer. It has just the right amount of snark and passive-aggressiveness. (That's a compliment)

I'm in my early 30s and have carpal tunnel. In fact, I've had it since my mid-twenties. It sounds as if you just don't like this girl.

I would worry more about your own work and less about her sticky notes. Unless you are a member of the custodial staff, those sticky notes are not interfering with your ability to do your job.

By the way, I'm a CFO with an MBA and those $10/hr bookkeepers can be very intelligent, good employees. As a manager, the one thing I despise more than anything out of my staff is someone who complains about another co-worker. I'm not so far removed from the real world at work that I don't see what goes on and can form my own opionions about the employees who work for me, without the assistance of others on my staff pointing out their co-workers' shortcomings. If she is that annoying, her boss probably already knows it.

WWYD? Well, seeing how none of this affects me or my work (if I'm a coworker) I wouldn't get involved and I wouldn't let it bother me.

I would leave it alone, as I am sure your boss's are seeing these notes. I would let them deal with it. Not worth the time to get yourself worked up over it. Just worry about you.

Throw her notes away and replace them with your own notes about things she does, leave a giant can of Lysol on her desk for her.

Ok I wouldn't leave her notes but I would throw away the snarky ones she leaves in areas I was in. And I probably would drop off a can of Lysol at her desk for her

WWYD?

I know you are just venting but the fact that she makes less than you shouldn't matter. Everyone in a company is just as important. Everyone has their own roles.

I can't stand when people don't wash their hands and I will say something to them personally. Why? Because that is unsanitary. Think about it. Coworker goes to the bathroom. Wipes themselves then gets urine and perhaps even fecal matter on their hands and doesn't wash. :crazy2: Then, they open the door to your office, touch the printer and touch all those donuts before picking out the one they want. That does affect me so I will say something. Not rudely but that is just disgusting and a great way to pass unwanted germs. Many restaurants and even Walmart has signs reminding employees to wash their hands before returning to work.

If she misses work, does that directly affect you? If she is not your direct report, it is none of your business. Let her manager address her if there is an issue. It is very possible for a 30 year old to have carpel tunnel. Epscially with how much computer use people do.

As for anything else.....if that person was not my direct report, I would have spoken to them rather than going to our mutual boss to ******* I would say something like, "thank you for your suggestion, I prefer to do it this way. Should you have an issue with it, please feel free to take it up with my supervisor."

Hi folks, thanks for the feedback... I did just need to vent... and am OK with the flames... I do deserve them!

Now that I got it out of my system, I'll be able to ignore some more. :)

This kind of stuff I just ignore. Not my employee, so not my problem. The reality is - some people are annoying, and they have to work somewhere.
I don't look down on people for the job they have though. We're all trying to get by the best we can. I'm sure her life long dream wasn't to work at Walmart, but she did it anyway. Nothing wrong with that.

Personally, I'd be thankful for the hygiene notes. Especially when you consider that no-handwashing after bathroom woman is probably sticking her hands in the box of donuts too. Ewwww and Ick!!!!

And it sounds like you aren't fond of her so every little thing she does is going to annoy you, even if it is not worth being annoyed about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter