vein treatment coming

maxiesmom

The Mean Squinty Eye Works
Has anyone out there had treatment for their varicose veins? I go in Thursday for a Radiofrequency Ablation. I am getting very nervous, and want to hear other people's experiences. From what I understand, they put a cathater in the calf of my leg, run some kind of probe up the vein, and heat the vein so it collapses. :scared:

I am a big chicken! They don't knock you out for it, but I had to pick up 2 valium to take when I get to the doctor's office. What will this make me feel like? Will I truly not care that they are poking something up my leg?

Please reassure me!!!!

Sorry no personal experinces but a :grouphug: I hope it all goes well.

I am putting off RF ablation treatment; not for veins but for my sciatic nerve. The same type of procuedure, but instead of the veins they heat and kill the nerves in my behind!! For this they will put me under anesthesia, because local anesthetics and pain pills do not work for me.

Sorry I can't offer you any advice, just wanted to let you know that there are others who are terrified of this as well!!

I'm sure it will be fine. :hug: While it's scary to have to be awake, it's much better for you. I had valium before Laser Eye Surgery and didn't need it, but liked it. You just don't care about anything. :thumbsup2

I went to the doctor this morning to have him check a small bump on the inside of my thigh, about 4 inches above my knee, and he tells me it's a varicose vein. :scared: They are scheduling a treatment for me, but it didn't sound like what you're having done. I'm so vain about it I don't really care what they have to do to me or how much it hurts. The bump needs to go. :guilty:

Good luck thoughts being sent your way. I've had two veins stripped due to clots, it's not pleasant to deal with this stuff!

Suzanne

My DH had radiofrequency lesioning for nerve pain in his neck several times. They gave him versed but kept him somewhat awake. It wasn't too comfortable he said but he had a 3" needle stuck in the side of his neck. If you are very anxious, tell them. They may be able to give you something additional. If they thought you couldn't handle it they would arrange for more sedation. You could call the doctor's office and ask the nurses about the proceedure. They can give you more insite. Good luck.

I know my cousin had some type of surgery for her varicose veins about 10 years ago and she said it was the best thing she ever did. It is probably not the same thing you are having but the outcome will probably be similar.

I had EVLT done about 3 years ago, sounds like the same procedure.

They ran a catheter into my vein and then the heat from the laser collapsed it.

There was some discomfort afterwards, and I had to wear those super tight, uncomfortable stockings for a week or so.

The "worst" part (if you want to call it that) was the injections to numb my leg. Once they thread the catheter, which probably took less than a minute, then they applied the laser and that also took less than a minute.

Overall, I am so glad I did it, because I had great success with it. No more ugly vein and no more pain from it.

Thanks for all of the good wishes! I am also glad to hear that they do do something to numb my leg, I wasn't sure. I was thinking that if they didn't, 2 valuim wasn't enough! :teeth:

My doctor told me about the same procedure and I decided to get a second opinion. I went to usa vein clinc...figured that since its all they do, they might know more. I was right, they recommended EVLT. The procedure was quick and painless and the best part is that it requires no bed rest, inactivity, hospital admission, or general anesthetic! I was up and back to my daily life right after the procedure.

Wow, not sure how you found this old thread of mine, but I'm glad you did! It has been only 6 years, but I need further treatment on my legs. The first 5 years were fine, but for the last year I have noticed a change for the worse in my veins again.

I will look into EVLT. The procedure I had before was not fun, and my legs were very sore for a while afterwards. Not something I am in a hurry to go thru again. So thanks for the tip!

The treatment was no big deal, little to no pain. Afterwards, though, really sore legs for three days. As if I had done a huge workout.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter